High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Verizon FiOS Discuss and learn about Verizon FiOS - fiber optic HDTV.

FIOS TV Installed...PQ...its ok I guess...

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2007, 02:34 PM   #1  
How can anyone watch standard def?
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 16
Default FIOS TV Installed...PQ...its ok I guess...

I got my FIOS TV and Internet installed 9/7/2007. The guy took 2 hours to do the install. I already had an ONT, Battery Backup, and power supply hooked up from having FIOS internet before, so he took awhile hooking up the video portion of it. Anyways...I am not that impressed with the SD PQ as compared to comcst. It is not that much better. The HD PQ for FIOS is the same or just a little better than comcast. I really do not see what all the hype is except for maybe the price for FIOS Premier is always $42.99 for over 200 channels. No one can beat that.

The deal I mentioned I got remains to be seen because last time I called FIOS they denied ever offering me such a deal...what a surprise right?...so when the first bill comes I will make sure they have all of the corrections on there. The last conversation I had with FIOS, they told me I will have Internet (5/2)+TV Premier+HD DVR+Movie Package for $91+tax which is what I was promised the first time around. Their representatives are very very stupid and never are insync with what is going on. For example it took me 7 phone calls, yes seven, let them know that I want a HD-DVR and thats it. Every time I call to verify and check they would tell me "You have one SD STB and one HD STB." IT was a very frustrating process over the phone with these people and after reading the posts on here about the billing department I feel the nightmare has just begun.

Sorry about the ramble, but their reps except maybe for tech support, are hard to talk to and deal with and they are never on the same page.

So far the internet and TV is good, but nothing to brag about. I have a 50" Sony Rear-projection TV that is 3.5 years old, but I think the model has been out for 5-6 years so that may have something to do with the SD PQ and HD PQ. It is a 1080i and 720p resolution according to the manual it came with. Thanks for listening.
hamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:25 PM   #2  
Simmer Down
 
SOBAY310's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 8,733
Default

I felt the same way about the picture quality and still do. I had DirecTV for years and switched to FiOS. From what everybody was saying I was expecting my eye balls to bleed from the vibrant picture. I guess it's better, but not jaw dropping better.
SOBAY310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:50 PM   #3  
How can anyone watch standard def?
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 16
Default I totally agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOBAY310 View Post
I felt the same way about the picture quality and still do. I had DirecTV for years and switched to FiOS. From what everybody was saying I was expecting my eye balls to bleed from the vibrant picture. I guess it's better, but not jaw dropping better.
I was expecting the same thing you did, but I am not impressed. It is not jaw dropping. Oh well, what can you do.
hamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:05 PM   #4  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,121
Default

mmm, some people hold too high expectations. It's always good to consider reality as the bottom line check.

Frankly, I would be suspect of anyone who claimed that they could see a huge (not to mention any) difference in pq between any of the primary sources (FIOS, Comcast, DTV, Dish, etc.) on SD, without doing a real life side-by-side comparison. This means not trying to remember how one source looked yesterday, compared to how the new source looks today. And by the way, it may be necessary to adjust settings on the TV as well, since it is a new/different source.

Last edited by billinprinceto; 09-10-2007 at 06:08 PM..
billinprinceto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:25 PM   #5  
Fear the Turtle
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billinprinceto View Post
mmm, some people hold too high expectations. It's always good to consider reality as the bottom line check.

Frankly, I would be suspect of anyone who claimed that they could see a huge (not to mention any) difference in pq between any of the primary sources (FIOS, Comcast, DTV, Dish, etc.) on SD, without doing a real life side-by-side comparison. This means not trying to remember how one source looked yesterday, compared to how the new source looks today. And by the way, it may be necessary to adjust settings on the TV as well, since it is a new/different source.

I have fios and recently re-activated D* fro the NFL ST. I noticed that D*'s sd and hd were very close to fios in an a-b comparison.

I think D* has enhanced their picture over the last two years as I have some recorded sd and hd on my HDTivo from 2 years ago that is noticeably worse than fios.

Today I have to say that D*'s quality is getting up to par with cable/fios. I only hope this trend continues to keep the quality bar high across providers.

I also agree with the OP that Fios offers the best value today but if they don't add the new HD channels that D* is about to launch then they may lose some TV subs (including me).

We'll see...
fastep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:39 PM   #6  
JPL
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Downingtown, PA
Posts: 2,209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billinprinceto View Post
mmm, some people hold too high expectations. It's always good to consider reality as the bottom line check.

Frankly, I would be suspect of anyone who claimed that they could see a huge (not to mention any) difference in pq between any of the primary sources (FIOS, Comcast, DTV, Dish, etc.) on SD, without doing a real life side-by-side comparison. This means not trying to remember how one source looked yesterday, compared to how the new source looks today. And by the way, it may be necessary to adjust settings on the TV as well, since it is a new/different source.
I'll just say this. Comcast analog up in this area really sucks. The PQ on some channels just makes them unwatchable. DirecTV was really nice - always looked really good on my SD TV (never had their HD). But I did see a step up with FiOS. I got an HDTV in March, and was running DirecTV SD on it. The FiOS SD on that TV is better than what I got with DirecTV. And on my SDTV, the FiOS picture just looks sharper and more life-like (colors look more natural, that kind of thing). I can't compare HD since I never had it before FiOS, but for SD programming I do see a pretty decent difference. I guess everyone's mileage will vary.

I also agree with this posting - much of what you see will be determined by what you're used to. I used to think my Zenith 25" looked pretty darn good with DirecTV... until I got that 27" Sony. After that, the Zenith looked like garbage.
JPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:24 AM   #7  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 338
Default

I came from DirecTV and DID compare SD pictures on the same TV and Fios was far and above the quality of DirecTV.

In fact I went back and forth for about two weeks as I still had programs on my DirecTV R-15 DVR to watch before returning it as it was leased and everytime I switched back to the Fios DVR, it was a nice dramatic difference and VERY obvious.
rkkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:40 PM   #8  
How can anyone watch standard def?
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 16
Default They advertise 100% digital...

Quote:
Originally Posted by billinprinceto View Post
mmm, some people hold too high expectations. It's always good to consider reality as the bottom line check.

Frankly, I would be suspect of anyone who claimed that they could see a huge (not to mention any) difference in pq between any of the primary sources (FIOS, Comcast, DTV, Dish, etc.) on SD, without doing a real life side-by-side comparison. This means not trying to remember how one source looked yesterday, compared to how the new source looks today. And by the way, it may be necessary to adjust settings on the TV as well, since it is a new/different source.
The expectations are high because Verizon hypes it up tremendously to the point that when you see FIOS it is like something you have never seen. On my TV I do not like the SD PQ it is not a 100% digital quality picture, there is no way that anyone can convince me of that. I agree that settings on TV may need to be adjusted and what I am comapring it to...but I had Comcast DIgital Cable and was not impressed with that because they say all digital channels...that is total BS...in my humble opinion (I am going to catch a lot of heat for saying this) the High Definition Picture Quality they claim to High Def on the HD channels...to me...that should be Digital and High Def should be jaw-dropping and eye-bleeidng pictures! Anyways...maybe I am expecting to much.
hamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:51 PM   #9  
How can anyone watch standard def?
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 16
Default

Verizon advertises 100% digital. There is no way anyone can convince me that 20% of the SD channels are digital PQ, there is no possible way on my TV or anyone's TV. In my humble opinion, digital should be equivalent to what is high definition. High Definition should be something truly amazing that goes beyond what anyone has seen...equivalent to Blu-RAY. I know blu-ray is full hd 1080p, but I think that should be High Def standard and the 100% 'digital' should be what HD channels are. I am going to catch a lot of heat for saying this, but the expectations from Verizon was that you should see 'eye-popping'...that is total BS. Atleast Comcast is somewhat closer to their BS of advertising than Verizon and Comcast SD PQ is horrible on Digital and Analog.

But what do I know...I am just dissapointed. If you hooked up analog comcast cable to a fucken tube tv that will give you better SD PQ than any Plasma, LCD, rear-projection, DLP, ABC< LSD or whatever is out there for sale on FIOS, Comcast, Directv, or Dish. HD quality is good on all of these carriers but the rest of the channles only a handful are really digital where the rest are total horse shit. Whatever I am just really upset with the SD PQ, it really does not look any better than Comcast with any TV settings I change.

Thanks for listening
hamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:55 PM   #10  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamada View Post
On my TV I do not like the SD PQ it is not a 100% digital quality picture, there is no way that anyone can convince me of that.
The point that you totally miss here is that the difference has nothing to do with DIGITAL versus ANALOG. In no dictionary does Digital = better; all it means is digital.
Consider two examples:
Why do so many members of this forum find that they perceive a better picture on their TVs when using component cables (analog) as opposed to HDMI (digital)?
Why do so many adioholoics insist that the best quality of audio available is vinyl played on tube based equipment (100% analog)?

Quote:
. . . the High Definition Picture Quality they claim to High Def on the HD channels...to me...that should be Digital and High Def should be jaw-dropping and eye-bleeidng pictures! Anyways...maybe I am expecting to much.
Yes, you are expecting too much. I, personally, would much prefer high quality "realistic" pq as opposed to "jaw-dropping and eye-bleeding" pq.
billinprinceto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:01 PM   #11  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamada View Post
There is no way anyone can convince me that 20% of the SD channels are digital PQ . . .
About the only place you will ever find anyone claiming that digital means better is in sales and marketing literature.

Digital can be better or it can be worse; just as analog can be high quality or crappy quality. The only thing you can say, or should assume about digital is that it IS digital.
billinprinceto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:00 PM   #12  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bohemia N.Y
Age: 54
Posts: 70
Default

I initially was dissapointed, because I thought the Fios was going to be hands down better. However I still have the D* hooked up and yesterday I compared the two. SD is without a doubt better on Fios. And overall HD is better, although not as drastically so. What is dramatically better is the sound quality, could be compression issue with D*?
evandood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:59 AM   #13  
How can anyone watch standard def?
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 16
Default Wtf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billinprinceto View Post
The point that you totally miss here is that the difference has nothing to do with DIGITAL versus ANALOG. In no dictionary does Digital = better; all it means is digital.
Consider two examples:
Why do so many members of this forum find that they perceive a better picture on their TVs when using component cables (analog) as opposed to HDMI (digital)?
Why do so many adioholoics insist that the best quality of audio available is vinyl played on tube based equipment (100% analog)?



Yes, you are expecting too much. I, personally, would much prefer high quality "realistic" pq as opposed to "jaw-dropping and eye-bleeding" pq.
What the fuck are you talking about? Digital signals is designed to be a better signal than analog. If you say that 'digital' is just 'digital', why the fuck would Verizon or any company market and spend millions of dollars to convert everything over to digital. Why is the US government making it mandatory for all signals to be digital starting 02/01/2009! Because it is supposed to be a better signal.

Don't tell me that digital is just 'digital'. I will give you a good example that proves digital is supposed to be better than analog. You ever talk on a cell phone with an analog signal...it sounds horrible...all you hear is static and it is muffled. On the other hand carriers like Alltell, Sprint, and Verizon have a CDMA network...which is a digital signal and I know for a fact the signal and reception is better with a 'digital' signal. So don't come at me with this BS that no one says it isn't better than analog or it is what it is. I said that I maybe going overboard in having high expectations with this FIOS, but it should atleast have some significant difference in PQ. Whatever who cares they are taking our money anyways...My point is digital is better than analog. And to answer your question about component and HDMI, I will tell you that you get the same PQ with component, DVI and HDMI...I work at Best Buy and I see the PQ on the TV's. The cables are not worth $100 because they do not give you $100 worth of a better picture...it is total BS, just to make more money and we all know that. Anyways, FIOS SD PQ on my TV is not great and the HD is not all that either, but don't tell me digital is not better than analog.
hamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:02 AM   #14  
How can anyone watch standard def?
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 16
Default Hdmi

HDMI cables make a difference with Blu-Ray and HD Dvd players with 1080p TV's other than that, component, DVI and HDMI on a plasma, or lcd give you pretty much the same PQ except maybe for HD PQ DVI and HDMI gives a slight edge, but not $100 worth.
hamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:23 PM   #15  
JPL
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Downingtown, PA
Posts: 2,209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamada View Post
What the fuck are you talking about? Digital signals is designed to be a better signal than analog. If you say that 'digital' is just 'digital', why the fuck would Verizon or any company market and spend millions of dollars to convert everything over to digital. Why is the US government making it mandatory for all signals to be digital starting 02/01/2009! Because it is supposed to be a better signal.

Don't tell me that digital is just 'digital'. I will give you a good example that proves digital is supposed to be better than analog. You ever talk on a cell phone with an analog signal...it sounds horrible...all you hear is static and it is muffled. On the other hand carriers like Alltell, Sprint, and Verizon have a CDMA network...which is a digital signal and I know for a fact the signal and reception is better with a 'digital' signal. So don't come at me with this BS that no one says it isn't better than analog or it is what it is. I said that I maybe going overboard in having high expectations with this FIOS, but it should atleast have some significant difference in PQ. Whatever who cares they are taking our money anyways...My point is digital is better than analog. And to answer your question about component and HDMI, I will tell you that you get the same PQ with component, DVI and HDMI...I work at Best Buy and I see the PQ on the TV's. The cables are not worth $100 because they do not give you $100 worth of a better picture...it is total BS, just to make more money and we all know that. Anyways, FIOS SD PQ on my TV is not great and the HD is not all that either, but don't tell me digital is not better than analog.
First off, there is good analog out there. The reason that digital is superior in general, is because it is a totally clean signal. You get no distortion due to the transmission, like you do with analog. You either get the picture or you don't. There's no in between. Still you're dealing with the source as part of the equation. You can get really crappy digital - if the picture at the source sucks.

Second, providers are moving to digital for other reasons as well. The biggest, probably, being bandwidth. Digital signals take up a hell of alot less bandwidth than comparable analog signals. The more analog you move to digital, the more bandwidth you have to play with.

As for the FCC - that has to do with cutover to free up broadcast spectrum as well. You can ask "why did we go digital for OTA in the first place?" That's a valid question. When the FCC was determining an HD standard, some companies came forward with an analog signal as a standard. The government settled on one (developed by Zenith, I think) that's digital. The cutover is just designed to free up existing broadcast spectrum.

You're right in that digital is not 'just digital'. It's generally considered superior because you can ensure a cleaner transmission of the signal. But if the source of the signal is crap, then you're going to accurately transmit... crap. That's the point I was trying to make. JUST having it in digital does not ensure great PQ.

Also you have to consider one other artifact from digital - compression. Since digital is easy to compress, many providers do. The reason DirecTV's PQ isn't as good as Verizon's comes down to that very fact, in my opinion. DirecTV compresses the hell out of some of the SD signals, resulting in artifacts like blocking. If DirecTV didn't do that, then I would imagine that the PQ would be more on par with FiOS, which doesn't compress nearly to the degree that other providers do.
JPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to FIOS TV Installed...PQ...its ok I guess...
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
extending a cable run in my house digs5446 Verizon FiOS 41 05-14-2009 12:27 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:39 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands