High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Speakers & Surround Sound A place to learn more about speakers, their functionality and how they can complement your entertainment experience.

expanding my 6100.

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2009, 12:31 AM   #1  
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 114
Default expanding my 6100.

Was wondering if it were possible ( good idea or not? ) to upgrade my front pair of speakers.
I would like to be able to connect a cd player to my onkyo receiver and play regular music through just the front pair of aftermarket speakers.

Would the replacement front speakers drown out the surrounds when using the receiver in HT mode?

Any recommendations, would prefer a pair of floor standing speakers.
frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:45 PM   #2  
Founder of the Alt Right
 
kamspy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 22,427
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frederick View Post
Was wondering if it were possible ( good idea or not? ) to upgrade my front pair of speakers.
I would like to be able to connect a cd player to my onkyo receiver and play regular music through just the front pair of aftermarket speakers.

Would the replacement front speakers drown out the surrounds when using the receiver in HT mode?

Any recommendations, would prefer a pair of floor standing speakers.
I'd recommend changing out the center channel as well.

You want to have your front speakers 'voice matched' (same size and material drivers).

Here are some ideas that are good musically, but also have a matching center that won't break the bank.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Infinity-Beta-20-Bookshelf-Loud-Speaker-w-CMMD-Drivers_W0QQitemZ390022655672QQihZ026QQcategoryZ32 76QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262



http://cgi.ebay.com/Infinity-P362-3Way-Dual-6-5-Floorstanding-Loud-Speaker_W0QQitemZ170292259370QQihZ007QQcategoryZ32 76QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262


Yeah. The Harmon Audio store on ebay is a great place to find bargain Infinity and JBL gear. There's also a Polk store, but I think the entry level Infinity's are a better value.
kamspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:57 PM   #3  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frederick View Post
Was wondering if it were possible ( good idea or not? ) to upgrade my front pair of speakers.
I would like to be able to connect a cd player to my onkyo receiver and play regular music through just the front pair of aftermarket speakers.

Would the replacement front speakers drown out the surrounds when using the receiver in HT mode?

Any recommendations, would prefer a pair of floor standing speakers.
You should be able to individually adjust the speakers so "drowning out" the surrounds should not be an issue. You really need to audition speakers rather than make a decsion based soley on the ears of others. Afterall, there are some in this forum who love Klipsch. I find them entirely too shrill with a muddy mid-range to boot.
Jim Bob Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:05 PM   #4  
SD HURTS MY EYES
 
Stew4HD's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tejas Baby
Posts: 9,989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob Jones View Post
You should be able to individually adjust the speakers so "drowning out" the surrounds should not be an issue. You really need to audition speakers rather than make a decsion based soley on the ears of others. Afterall, there are some in this forum who love Klipsch. I find them entirely too shrill with a muddy mid-range to boot.
And just what speakers does the resident audiophile (you) recommend? You continue to bash those of us that enjoy our Klipsch's as if we are wrong for owning or enjoying them.

Afterall, you are sitting in judgement our other's personal preferences.
Stew4HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:16 PM   #5  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4HD View Post
And just what speakers does the resident audiophile (you) recommend? You continue to bash those of us that enjoy our Klipsch's as if we are wrong for owning or enjoying them.

Afterall, you are sitting in judgement our other's personal preferences.
First, learn to read with comprehension. I have never bashed those who like Klipsch. I have only pointed out certain sonic characteristics of the speaker. I suggest each prospective purchaser audition a range of speakers and decide based on his/her preference. As you have proven, some listeners prefer an exaggerated high end which is typical of horn loaded drivers. Speaker components have certain characteristics that impact the sound they reproduce. One of your many problems is that you take criticism of equipment you own to be a personal attack. I have owned Klipsch among many other speakers. They were harsh when I owned them. That fact has not dramatically changed whether you accept it or not. Get over it. you frequently don't know what you're talking about.
Jim Bob Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to expanding my 6100.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Onkyo 6100 Faulty? frederick Speakers & Surround Sound 4 01-03-2009 10:20 PM
Onkyo 6100 Audio and input set up. frederick Speakers & Surround Sound 7 01-03-2009 01:28 AM
6100 signal problems sicard Canadian Providers 0 07-09-2006 09:24 PM
Optical Audio Cable hookup with Bell 6100 and Denon AV-485 02dhs Canadian Providers 3 06-15-2005 07:20 PM
Bell 6100 very dark pictures zeicht Canadian Providers 1 11-30-2004 05:37 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:43 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands