High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Speakers & Surround Sound A place to learn more about speakers, their functionality and how they can complement your entertainment experience.

Using old speakers for surround sound

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2009, 08:19 PM   #1  
What is HD?
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1
Default Using old speakers for surround sound

I have a couple of 15 yr old 3 feet tall Yamaha speakers that sound fine to my ears for music and they are what I had hooked up to my old receiver for years.

Now I'm going to get a new receiver and set up surround sound in my living room.

I've seen differing opinions such as:
-No way! Don't do that, stupid!
-Shouldn't be a problem
-Well, they don't make 'em like they used to ... Old speakers were made better and they will actually work better than new speakers.

I have no idea. If other than being space hogs (which I don't mind), they'll work fine, I'd like to use the old fellas.

What would you recommend?

-cwineman
cwineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:16 AM   #2  
LED TV's look awesome
 
Joe Las Vegas's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Age: 49
Posts: 1,427
Default

15 years old is extinct in electronic years, might want to replace them, unless they were the best and cost a fortune back then.
Joe Las Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:44 AM   #3  
Founder of the Alt Right
 
kamspy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 22,427
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwineman View Post
I have a couple of 15 yr old 3 feet tall Yamaha speakers that sound fine to my ears for music and they are what I had hooked up to my old receiver for years.

Now I'm going to get a new receiver and set up surround sound in my living room.

I've seen differing opinions such as:
-No way! Don't do that, stupid!
-Shouldn't be a problem
-Well, they don't make 'em like they used to ... Old speakers were made better and they will actually work better than new speakers.

I have no idea. If other than being space hogs (which I don't mind), they'll work fine, I'd like to use the old fellas.

What would you recommend?

-cwineman
What is your budget?

What is your movie to music ratio?

What size are you looking for?
kamspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:01 AM   #4  
Direct TV Fresh Meat
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,464
Default

I use a set of Cerwin-Vega Hard Rockers that I bought in the early 80's.

They sound better or as good as the brand new Polks I have.

Quality lasts.
DoctorCAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:15 AM   #5  
Samsung LCDs
 
clearday's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: N. Texas
Posts: 1,891
Default

I think you should get a good surround receiver which can drive whatever the big speakers require, and test them out. I have two huge old speakers I still use for music and are still being run by a 30 year old Sony receiver, 10W per channel.

But back to the question. When I went to surround I bought new speakers so I could match the center, fronts and sub. I didn't think I could match the old ones with the rest, especially the center. I thought the big fronts would overwhelm the center. But you should try them out and see how they sound. It's just whatever you think sounds good.
clearday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:51 AM   #6  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Las Vegas View Post
15 years old is extinct in electronic years, might want to replace them, unless they were the best and cost a fortune back then.
WTF? A good speaker is a good speaker. A sorry speaker is a sorry speaker. Age is generally not a factor unless components have deteriorated and impact sound. Speaker technology when measured by sound reproduction accuracy has not significantly improved in over 20 years.
Jim Bob Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:40 PM   #7  
Founder of the Alt Right
 
kamspy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 22,427
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorCAD View Post
I use a set of Cerwin-Vega Hard Rockers that I bought in the early 80's.

They sound better or as good as the brand new Polks I have.

Quality lasts.
If they have horn tweeters you could match them with a cerwin vega! center or a klipsch.
kamspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:40 PM   #8  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamspy View Post
If they have horn tweeters you could match them with a cerwin vega! center or a klipsch.
Best thing about Cerwin Vegas was/is the terrific bass response. I do find that the newer Polks are sonically inferior to the early models.
Jim Bob Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:15 PM   #9  
Founder of the Alt Right
 
kamspy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 22,427
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob Jones View Post
Best thing about Cerwin Vegas was/is the terrific bass response. I do find that the newer Polks are sonically inferior to the early models.
For me? I don't like horn tweets, so Cerwin is out of the question. Bass response be damned.

The shrill highs that come out of Klipsch and other horn loaded speakers makes me feel like my ears are going to start bleeding.

This is just my opinion. There's two schools of thought to horn tweeters: Love and hate. I fall into the latter.
kamspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:49 AM   #10  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamspy View Post
For me? I don't like horn tweets, so Cerwin is out of the question. Bass response be damned.

The shrill highs that come out of Klipsch and other horn loaded speakers makes me feel like my ears are going to start bleeding.

This is just my opinion. There's two schools of thought to horn tweeters: Love and hate. I fall into the latter.
I agree with you 100% and have posted almost an identical comment about Klipsch in another thread. There is absolutely nothing close to natural sound emanting from those horns. Glad to see someone else actually listens and can discern the differences.
Jim Bob Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:26 AM   #11  
SD HURTS MY EYES
 
Stew4HD's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tejas Baby
Posts: 9,989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob Jones View Post
I agree with you 100% and have posted almost an identical comment about Klipsch in another thread. There is absolutely nothing close to natural sound emanting from those horns. Glad to see someone else actually listens and can discern the differences.
You know what they say about opinions...

What's it like to think your opinion is the only one that matters?

I guarantee you that there are many more people that find Klipsch horns to be more than adequate.

*yawn*
Stew4HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:49 AM   #12  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4HD View Post
You know what they say about opinions...

What's it like to think your opinion is the only one that matters?

I guarantee you that there are many more people that find Klipsch horns to be more than adequate.

*yawn*
Well, looks like the audiophile has come out of the wood works. If it wasn't such a tragedy, it would be hilarious. Knows about as much on speaker evaluation as my dog. Oh, I don't have a dog.
Jim Bob Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:06 AM   #13  
SD HURTS MY EYES
 
Stew4HD's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tejas Baby
Posts: 9,989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob Jones View Post
Well, looks like the audiophile has come out of the wood works. If it wasn't such a tragedy, it would be hilarious. Knows about as much on speaker evaluation as my dog. Oh, I don't have a dog.
Flame bait often? ... back to the personal attacks, I see.

Why are you even here? "Audiophiles" would look down on a site like this... and seeing that you are our resident "audiophile, you surely must have something better to do than stir up trouble for those that really want to have their questions answered.
Stew4HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:02 PM   #14  
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamspy View Post
For me? I don't like horn tweets, so Cerwin is out of the question. Bass response be damned.

The shrill highs that come out of Klipsch and other horn loaded speakers makes me feel like my ears are going to start bleeding.

This is just my opinion. There's two schools of thought to horn tweeters: Love and hate. I fall into the latter.
Part of the reason it is a love/hate thing with horn tweeters is that people all hear differently. Some people have more issues with hearing the highest tones, so horn tweeters compensate for this, while some hear these higher tones more and they seem harsh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob Jones View Post
I agree with you 100% and have posted almost an identical comment about Klipsch in another thread. There is absolutely nothing close to natural sound emanting from those horns. Glad to see someone else actually listens and can discern the differences.
See above for WHY different speakers are good for different people. I have the same expensive Klipsch speakers that Stew has and I love mine. I have adjusted the equalizer for each individual speaker to tame the horn tweeters some, but also the tonal qualities of the receiver and the speakers should be matched/mated to get the best and most accurate sound. This does not even take into account room acoustics which if you have very plush furniture (like I do), then the higher tonal qualities of of the Klipsch horn tweeters will be more muted because of this also.

I have a stereo Onkyo (bright tonal qualities) receiver in my game room that mates very well to my B&W speakers (warm tonal qualities).

For my Klipsch speakers I mate them with a Denon (and previously with a Yamaha) receiver which tend to have neutral (slightly warm) tonal qualities. Klipsch would be better mated with a H/K or Pioneer receiver which do tend to be warmer, but I have compensated for this by changing the equalizer settings somewhat.

Having perfectly accurate sound from speakers is nearly impossible, but you still have to deal with the hearing ability of each person as no two people hear things exactly the same way. Even IF you could get perfect sound reproduction from speakers, it wouldn't sound the same because of the differing hearing abilities of each individual, so adjustments to an individuals hearing would still have to be made to actually hear it as intended because of this.

In the end, there is no right/wrong answer given the different room acoustics people have and the always different hearing people have.
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:37 PM   #15  
Founder of the Alt Right
 
kamspy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 22,427
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC5 View Post
In the end, there is no right/wrong answer given the different room acoustics people have and the always different hearing people have.
Agreed.

Millions of horn owners aren't 'wrong'.

It's just about what sounds good to them.

Like PFC said, hearing is different and very subjective.
kamspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to Using old speakers for surround sound
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Discussion on Surround Sound Systems rbinck Speakers & Surround Sound 76 05-03-2019 07:41 AM
Surround Sound - Optical Input? Doyle Lonnigan Flat-Panel TVs 8 01-03-2009 05:21 PM
Audiophiles and Surround Sound... CDWallace Speakers & Surround Sound 55 03-11-2007 02:11 PM
Can composite deliver surround sound? JayEmm HD DVD Players and Discs 6 08-23-2005 03:24 PM
I'm I making this too complicated? Speakers for my 5.1 surround system plc001 Speakers & Surround Sound 6 08-21-2005 07:34 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:30 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands