High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Speakers & Surround Sound A place to learn more about speakers, their functionality and how they can complement your entertainment experience.

need to get 5 speakers

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2008, 07:25 PM   #1  
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 363
Default need to get 5 speakers

ok guys, so i have the onkyo SR606 hooked using ONKYO speakers that came with an earlier ONKYO HTIB package that i bought. anyway , my dad moved out to a new apartment so i gave him an Onkyo S790 reciever that i had laying around and im also going to give him my ONKYO speakers that im using right now with my SR606 reciever.

Im only going to give him 5 speakers tho, im keeping the 2 REAR Back Onkyo speakers for myself so that when i buy the new speakers i will make it 7.1 rather than 5.1.

Ok so my budget is $600 TOPS. i dont want to build my custom system such as ordering the center, then the left and right, etc etc.

I want to buy a complete 5.0 or a 5.1(with Subwoofer) set of speakers that will be an Upgrade in Sound Quality over the Onkyo speakers that i been using so far for over a year.

I was at best buy today and my friend works there and i explainded him my situation and that i was considering the POLK RM705 and the Klipsch Quintet II/III but he said that these are good but he told me if i add some money i can get much better speakers which will be a great upgrade over my onkyo speakers sound quality wise rather than buying the Polks and having just a slight upgrade.

Anyway we entered the Magnolia room and he demo'ed me a blueray movie first with the Definitive Tech ProCinem 600 speakers which were sounded really good and which he personally owns, he says thats the best set of speakers that he has there, and then he demo'd me the MIRAGE Nanosat 5 speakers. which sounded very good too.

I told him that the Definitive tech speakers are out of my budget and he told me that the Mirage is very good too and that there is no way that the Klipsch Quintet or the polks are better than the Mirage so the Mirage would be the best set to buy.

So my question is, should i go for the Mirage or should i consider some other set?

I mean i narrowed it down to the best speaker sets while trying to stay in my price range and the speaker sets are:

The mirage Nanosat 5 $599 (WITH A Mirage SUBWOOFER from AMAZON.com ) it costs $350 at best buy WITHOUT the subwoofer so ill buy from amazon for sure if i get this system

the Definitive Tech ProCinema 600 $799


these speaker sets seem to be the top ones from my research and from my visit at best buy today.

Which one should i buy guys? i said that my budget is 600 but i mentioned the $800 set because i want to know, is there much difference in sound quality between the mirage and the definitive tech procinema 600?

Thanks

Last edited by nyboy11; 09-12-2008 at 07:28 PM..
nyboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:17 AM   #2  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,993
Default

You can get Deftech. procinema at a dealer for less cost, you can bargain around 15-20 %. Best buy will have fix price or you use reward zone coupan of 12%.
iserum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 04:04 PM   #3  
HDF SUPER-MODERATOR
 
ImRizzo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn..It's not a Place, it's an Attitude, & LI,NY
Posts: 23,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyboy11 View Post
ok guys, so i have the onkyo SR606 hooked using ONKYO speakers that came with an earlier ONKYO HTIB package that i bought. anyway , my dad moved out to a new apartment so i gave him an Onkyo S790 reciever that i had laying around and im also going to give him my ONKYO speakers that im using right now with my SR606 reciever.

Im only going to give him 5 speakers tho, im keeping the 2 REAR Back Onkyo speakers for myself so that when i buy the new speakers i will make it 7.1 rather than 5.1.

Ok so my budget is $600 TOPS. i dont want to build my custom system such as ordering the center, then the left and right, etc etc.

I want to buy a complete 5.0 or a 5.1(with Subwoofer) set of speakers that will be an Upgrade in Sound Quality over the Onkyo speakers that i been using so far for over a year.

I was at best buy today and my friend works there and i explainded him my situation and that i was considering the POLK RM705 and the Klipsch Quintet II/III but he said that these are good but he told me if i add some money i can get much better speakers which will be a great upgrade over my onkyo speakers sound quality wise rather than buying the Polks and having just a slight upgrade.

Anyway we entered the Magnolia room and he demo'ed me a blueray movie first with the Definitive Tech ProCinem 600 speakers which were sounded really good and which he personally owns, he says thats the best set of speakers that he has there, and then he demo'd me the MIRAGE Nanosat 5 speakers. which sounded very good too.

I told him that the Definitive tech speakers are out of my budget and he told me that the Mirage is very good too and that there is no way that the Klipsch Quintet or the polks are better than the Mirage so the Mirage would be the best set to buy.

So my question is, should i go for the Mirage or should i consider some other set?

I mean i narrowed it down to the best speaker sets while trying to stay in my price range and the speaker sets are:

The mirage Nanosat 5 $599 (WITH A Mirage SUBWOOFER from AMAZON.com ) it costs $350 at best buy WITHOUT the subwoofer so ill buy from amazon for sure if i get this system

the Definitive Tech ProCinema 600 $799


these speaker sets seem to be the top ones from my research and from my visit at best buy today.

Which one should i buy guys? i said that my budget is 600 but i mentioned the $800 set because i want to know, is there much difference in sound quality between the mirage and the definitive tech procinema 600?

Thanks
The only problem with the Nanostats is that they have a very limited midrange a step up to the mirage V2 series is the way to go but considerably more $$$
ImRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 06:44 PM   #4  
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 363
Default

iserum, im obviously NOT planing to buy any of the systems i mentioned at bestbuy, by "dealer" you mean buying online yea?

i was planing to order the Mirage from Amazon for $599 WITH the subwoofer. i was at best buy again today and i listened to the Mirage again, they create a big sound and it was clear and nice. the Def tech sounded like it was more powerfull but honestly i dont think i will pay $800 for it so im going to pass.

I dont know i narrowed it down to the Mirage Nanosat 5 (i cant buy the V2 because its like $900.. ) and the Klipsch Quintet III or II.

The guys at best buy told me that the Quintent sounds almost the same as the new Klipsch Quintent SL, they said that because of Klipsch's HORN technology, the speakers producde louder and more punchy sound than the Mirage speakers but he said the mirage speakers are more clear.

I dont know guys, the mirage nanosat 5 and the Klipsch Quintent are my best bets right? i mean for NO MORE than $600, is there a better sounding set to consider? can you pleae tell me which set is better ? i listened to both but i cant decide
nyboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 07:04 PM   #5  
HDF SUPER-MODERATOR
 
ImRizzo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn..It's not a Place, it's an Attitude, & LI,NY
Posts: 23,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyboy11 View Post
iserum, im obviously NOT planing to buy any of the systems i mentioned at bestbuy, by "dealer" you mean buying online yea?

i was planing to order the Mirage from Amazon for $599 WITH the subwoofer. i was at best buy again today and i listened to the Mirage again, they create a big sound and it was clear and nice. the Def tech sounded like it was more powerfull but honestly i dont think i will pay $800 for it so im going to pass.

I dont know i narrowed it down to the Mirage Nanosat 5 (i cant buy the V2 because its like $900.. ) and the Klipsch Quintet III or II.
The Nanostats do produce a clean sharp sound and their omni directional sound creates a nice soundfeild

The guys at best buy told me that the Quintent sounds almost the same as the new Klipsch Quintent SL, they said that because of Klipsch's HORN technology, the speakers producde louder and more punchy sound than the Mirage speakers but he said the mirage speakers are more clear.

I dont know guys, the mirage nanosat 5 and the Klipsch Quintent are my best bets right? i mean for NO MORE than $600, is there a better sounding set to consider? can you pleae tell me which set is better ? i listened to both but i cant decide
The Nanostats do produce a clean sharp sound and their omni directional sound creates a nice soundfeild
the speaker configuration uses an omni dispersement to create an open soundfeild
ImRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:15 PM   #6  
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 363
Default

i know ImRizzo, but would the Klipsch provide better overall sound expirience?
nyboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 09:25 PM   #7  
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 363
Default

I can get the Klipsch Quintet SL for $599, i think im going to go for that system instead of the Mirage Nanosat 5 just because that system should give me much better punch due to Klipsch HORN technology. Im gonna give best buy a last visit tommorow to examine the sets again, if i like it ill come home and order it online right away.

By the way, for anyone wondering.. the reason why i dont seem so amazed by the Mirage Nanosat is because i dont know for what reason but i listened to it, at high volume, and the sound is sharp and clean but it just does NOT have a feel of sound hitting you. im not taling about the subwoofer, not at all. the sound that the speakers produce, the klipsch defintley do that and i belive it's because of it's Horn technology.
nyboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:01 PM   #8  
Willland
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kissimmee,Fl
Posts: 1
Default

Don't forget about the Klipsch RVX-42 system.
willland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:12 AM   #9  
HDF SUPER-MODERATOR
 
ImRizzo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn..It's not a Place, it's an Attitude, & LI,NY
Posts: 23,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyboy11 View Post
I can get the Klipsch Quintet SL for $599, i think im going to go for that system instead of the Mirage Nanosat 5 just because that system should give me much better punch due to Klipsch HORN technology. Im gonna give best buy a last visit tommorow to examine the sets again, if i like it ill come home and order it online right away.

By the way, for anyone wondering.. the reason why i dont seem so amazed by the Mirage Nanosat is because i dont know for what reason but i listened to it, at high volume, and the sound is sharp and clean but it just does NOT have a feel of sound hitting you. im not taling about the subwoofer, not at all. the sound that the speakers produce, the klipsch defintley do that and i believe it's because of it's Horn technology.
What your hearing from the Nanostats is "Omni-Directional" if you look at the photo I attached it shows that above the exposed speaker the is a dispersion cone which disperses the sound rather than a direct projection of sound this creates a non-directional sound which creates a more natural soundfeild visit their website for a better discription www.miragespeakers.com
ImRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 06:18 PM   #10  
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 363
Default

ImRizzo, i listened to them at best buy , i wasnt too impressed..
nyboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:06 PM   #11  
"Shitter was Full"
 
Bigloww's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: In a van, down by the river.
Posts: 8,321
Default

1 Setup I would highly recommend that sounds great and is an outstanding deal is the Polk RM10 and Polk PSW10 Sub for a total of around $350 shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Spe...1440450&sr=8-7

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-AudioPSW1...1440579&sr=8-1

If you want even more Sub this Polk will kick it up a notch for around $150 more..

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-12-...1440579&sr=8-2
Bigloww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:08 PM   #12  
HDF SUPER-MODERATOR
 
ImRizzo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn..It's not a Place, it's an Attitude, & LI,NY
Posts: 23,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyboy11 View Post
ImRizzo, i listened to them at best buy , i wasnt too impressed..
Just a suggestion you've gotta go with what ever you like hearing Good luck post what ever you decide on. GL
ImRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:46 PM   #13  
60 is the new 50
 
gossamer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Da Boogie-down Bronx
Posts: 596
Default

The Definitive Technology Black ProCinema 600 get very good reviews. Also my Paradigms are sweet in my system. But you'll have to find a dealer near you as they don't deal with online resellers.
gossamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:03 PM   #14  
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 363
Default

The def techs cost $800 , out of my budget.

Like i said, the klisch is defintley better than the Polk rm10s.

I narrowed it down to the Klipsch Quintet SL which i can get for $599 or the Klipsch RVX42s as my fronts(ill buy 3 of them) and 2 RSX4s as my surrounds. that setup would cost me $720 shipped which i can but thats the max im going to spend.

Which deal is better guys, the quintet SL($599) or the RVX42s as fronts + the RSX4s as surrounds($720)

from my reseach, just a PAIR of the RVX42s cost $960 on Klipsch website.

I have just one problem with ordering the RSX4s tho, they are only available in SILVER and cost $90 each, i mean.. black is available too but it costs $160 , nearly double the price.

Do you think if i buy the fronts in black and the surrounds in silver it would look bad in the living room?

what should i go for guys?
nyboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:59 PM   #15  
"Shitter was Full"
 
Bigloww's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: In a van, down by the river.
Posts: 8,321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyboy11 View Post
Like i said, the klisch is defintley better than the Polk rm10s.
When did you say that. I did see you post about the RM705's but nothing about the RM10's unless I missed it. The RM10's (even though and older model) are an upgrade from the 705's RM7's and the Polk Sub I listed is better vs the 1 they slap in the 705 . But the 705 was still a good low budget solution as well IMO.. But bottom line for $150 cheaper than the 705 at BB the RM10's and the 10'' sub for $350 is a definate upgrade over the 705 package and a much better value IMO.
But I also very much like the Klipsch Quintent setup as well and think it would be a great choice. I would put the Klipsch slightly ahead of the RM10 setup, but not sure about the extra $250 price diff..

Last edited by Bigloww; 09-15-2008 at 12:04 AM..
Bigloww is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to need to get 5 speakers
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need to get my parents a TV... slipnfall Flat-Panel TVs 6 10-10-2009 10:35 PM
I need to get a subwoofer nyboy11 Speakers & Surround Sound 45 02-03-2009 11:36 AM
Do I need to get a 5.1 system for decent voice levels? biosol Speakers & Surround Sound 9 01-14-2009 08:23 AM
Need an AFFORDABLE 5.1 surround sound antman2x2 Speakers & Surround Sound 15 10-23-2007 12:03 PM
how do i get 5.1 with my xbox 360? ktrio730 Gaming & Systems 8 11-21-2006 11:43 AM
Optical signal to computer 5.1 signal? Angel9 Speakers & Surround Sound 10 11-15-2005 04:07 AM
How do I get 5.1 surround from TV?? Rustle98 Speakers & Surround Sound 8 01-06-2005 02:19 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:55 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands