High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Speakers & Surround Sound A place to learn more about speakers, their functionality and how they can complement your entertainment experience.

Pioneer CS-99A with 15" Woofys

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2008, 09:15 PM   #31  
Former Super Moderator
 
Loves2Watch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: In Flux
Posts: 20,283
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinardman View Post
Oddly, the current receivers don't even have a phono input anymore. Imagine that!
That's not true as my Onkyo TX-SR 705, 805 and 875 as well as the TX-NR905 all have phono inputs.
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:31 PM   #32  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 482
Default

Mea culpa. That was a bit of a broad statement. I should have said the current receivers I can afford don't have phono inputs.
rinardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:27 PM   #33  
US Coast Guard -retired-
Thread Starter
 
scootski's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northshore Lake Superior, Minneosta, USA
Posts: 692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinardman View Post
What's that? A turntable in the pictures? Oh my, scootski! The Newtechnology Police are going to roast you good when they see that piece of old junk....umm....I mean outdated technology.

BTW, all this debate over old stuff/new stuff inspired me to dig out my old Lafayette LR-5555A stereo receiver and Toshiba turntable, and start listening to some of my old vinyl. It's been a long time, but I still like the sound of Linda Ronstadt singing Blue Bayou...even with a few little pops from old dust.
Oddly, the current receivers don't even have a phono input anymore. Imagine that!
If it had NO phono input, i'd pass it over and not buy it.
There are plenty of older receivers around yet...
at garage-sales, estate sales, Goodwill type places and
ads in papers etc etc...

I for one only use a stereo only receiver/amp on my new
HDTV.... just fine for us and keeps it neat with TONS of
quality audio and more volume than i could possibly use toboot.
When we watch movies... there is no lack of sound
So, it may be only stereo (by choice)... but it is QUALITY stereo.


I don't even care to think about a pile of 5 or so LITTLE
plastic boxes all over the room, a rat's nest of cheap wire
and 'tinny' or 'toiletpaper-TUBE like sounds' emitted from them
That.... would be dorky indeed !
scootski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:17 PM   #34  
How do I raise the WAF?
 
DrDre's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 132
Default

Give me intellectual insight on what a good HT
speaker system should consist of scootski.
Also, your perception of "quality stereo" probably differs from mine.
DrDre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:56 AM   #35  
US Coast Guard -retired-
Thread Starter
 
scootski's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northshore Lake Superior, Minneosta, USA
Posts: 692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDre View Post
Give me intellectual insight on what a good HT
speaker system should consist of scootski.
Also, your perception of "quality stereo" probably differs from mine.


I use audiophile speakers
scootski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:13 PM   #36  
US Coast Guard -retired-
Thread Starter
 
scootski's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northshore Lake Superior, Minneosta, USA
Posts: 692
Default Added Sony Learning Remotes...

I purchased 4 Sony LEARNING REMOTE CONTROLS.
Model RM-VL600.

3 are programmed the same & 1 is used as a "spare"
should the need arise in the future.

Go HERE to read about this LEARNING remote:
http://www.highdefforum.com/showthre...840#post569840

scootski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:42 PM   #37  
US Coast Guard -retired-
Thread Starter
 
scootski's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northshore Lake Superior, Minneosta, USA
Posts: 692
Default

Any of the older HUGE STEREO speakers of yesterday...
meaning from the 1970s to through the 80s should
provide great Fidelity for your HDTV using a stereo
amp/receiver in combo.

Those big WOOFERS do move the air...

when i play Blues music, sometimes i can feel
the bass compression on my CHEST from the
HUGE Woofers ! Down and dirty NICE !

The little plastic boxes today just don't do it...
they sound like the sound is coming through a
toilet-paper empty tube... cheesy to say the least.

I say... find some nice vintage STEREO speakers
and let them please you to no end !

- Scootski
scootski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:45 PM   #38  
Former Super Moderator
 
Loves2Watch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: In Flux
Posts: 20,283
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootski View Post
Any of the older HUGE STEREO speakers of yesterday...
meaning from the 1970s to through the 80s should
provide great Fidelity for your HDTV using a stereo
amp/receiver in combo.

Those big WOOFERS do move the air...

when i play Blues music, sometimes i can feel
the bass compression on my CHEST from the
HUGE Woofers ! Down and dirty NICE !

The little plastic boxes today just don't do it...
they sound like the sound is coming through a
toilet-paper empty tube... cheesy to say the least.

I say... find some nice vintage STEREO speakers
and let them please you to no end !

- Scootski
There are so many exceptional speaker options available today, in fact much better than what was offered just a decade ago, I can't believe you say that. Maybe you should go listen to speakers in a audio store rather than Walmart.
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:32 PM   #39  
US Coast Guard -retired-
Thread Starter
 
scootski's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northshore Lake Superior, Minneosta, USA
Posts: 692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves2Watch View Post
There are so many exceptional speaker options available today, in fact much better than what was offered just a decade ago, I can't believe you say that. Maybe you should go listen to speakers in a audio store rather than Walmart.
I have listened to the new ones at BestBuy, Walmart etc...
just for laughs... when i was hunting for my HDTVs....

Glad i have retro speakers !
scootski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:44 PM   #40  
Former Super Moderator
 
Loves2Watch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: In Flux
Posts: 20,283
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootski View Post
I have listened to the new ones at BestBuy, Walmart etc...
just for laughs... when i was hunting for my HDTVs....

Glad i have retro speakers !
You just proved my point. Thanks...
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:02 PM   #41  
US Coast Guard -retired-
Thread Starter
 
scootski's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northshore Lake Superior, Minneosta, USA
Posts: 692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves2Watch View Post
You just proved my point. Thanks...
You have no point at all.

An O-Scope proves my point.
Not your opinion or anyone else's opinion.

A O-Scope doesn't lie... it merely records what
is actually happening visually and then recorded...
and graphed to a document.
As in response graphs which show the DB versus Frequency plots.

Last edited by scootski; 06-09-2009 at 12:12 PM..
scootski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:21 AM   #42  
SD HURTS MY EYES
 
Stew4HD's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tejas Baby
Posts: 9,989
Default

I don't believe the O-Scope tells the whole story at all. What is the correllation between O-sope and the listener?

I am not even sure what your point here is. Everyone should have "retro" speakers made in Japan? Is that it?
Stew4HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:06 AM   #43  
US Coast Guard -retired-
Thread Starter
 
scootski's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northshore Lake Superior, Minneosta, USA
Posts: 692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4HD View Post
I don't believe the O-Scope tells the whole story at all. What is the correllation between O-sope and the listener?

I am not even sure what your point here is. Everyone should have "retro" speakers made in Japan? Is that it?

No two people HEAR the same.
Ask your doctor.
CASE CLOSED.

Retro expensive speakers are superb quality.
scootski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:57 PM   #44  
SD HURTS MY EYES
 
Stew4HD's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tejas Baby
Posts: 9,989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootski View Post
No two people HEAR the same.
Ask your doctor.
CASE CLOSED.

Retro expensive speakers are superb quality.
Thanks for your wonderful insight and opinion

at your retro comment. Those old retro Sears speakers can't hold a candle to my Aperions and I doubt many of your beloved retro's could stand up to many of the Paradigm series.. Enjoy your Japanese retro speakers.
Stew4HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:17 PM   #45  
US Coast Guard -retired-
Thread Starter
 
scootski's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northshore Lake Superior, Minneosta, USA
Posts: 692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4HD View Post
Thanks for your wonderful insight and opinion

at your retro comment. Those old retro Sears speakers can't hold a candle
to my Aperions and I doubt many of your beloved retro's could stand
up to many of the Paradigm series..
Enjoy your Japanese retro speakers.

Mine are PIONEER CS-99A... not Sears.
You may believe what you wish
scootski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to Pioneer CS-99A with 15" Woofys
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
50" Pioneer Pro Elite 1150HD vs. 50" Panasonic TH-50PZ700U hbark Flat-Panel TVs 4 01-30-2008 09:12 AM
Pioneer Provides Further Details on Project KURO Plasmas Razor05 Flat-Panel TVs 0 05-09-2007 05:38 PM
please help with Pioneer DVD player problem Quadzilla SD DVD Players and Discs 8 07-25-2006 01:31 PM
New Pioneer 4360 & 5060 Plasmas... incubus2828 Flat-Panel TVs 1 08-12-2005 02:09 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:29 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands