High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Speakers & Surround Sound A place to learn more about speakers, their functionality and how they can complement your entertainment experience.

Subwoofer: Best bang for the buck?

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2008, 09:19 AM   #16  
Administrator
 
rbinck's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 16,976
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmase1153 View Post
I have heard not so good things about sunfire subs, and one could do better for the price. I will look for more reviews and such though.
What have you heard?
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:03 AM   #17  
HD Ninja
Thread Starter
 
Mase's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,733
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustEd View Post

Don't know how you would tune them for different output ranges, and what would be the point the total output should be the same, unless I am missing something (possibly less distortion)? I was thinking you would be placing one in front and one in back, that indeed can cause bass cancellation. If you want two in front and they are close to each other and in phase you should be ok. But again, why not just one powerful sub??? Sub woofers are not directional in their output it should be easily audible throughout the room. There is always a problem with standing waves causing bass cancellation but it is easer to control with one sub.

Might I ask what the size your room is?

Ed
Well on the back of the sub have one set for 40hz and the other set for a higher frequency. Or in the case of HSU subwoofers they have great reviewed VTF-3 MK3 which is a true low frequency performer and than add the MBM-12 which is their mid bass module. Like I said I am still learning and am trying to take in everything one piece of info at a time..

Well the Room I am in now is roughly 14'x15' but not completely square. The room my equipment will be going into will be larger and open, as it is now my setup is in an enclosed den so with room pressure most subs will sound good but having a living room type set up and more open air I know a single woofer has its work cut out for it. But your right I could just look into one big single or dual enclosed woofer and hope for the best.
Mase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:21 AM   #18  
HD Ninja
Thread Starter
 
Mase's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,733
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbinck View Post
What have you heard?
I have heard they are a very good sub musically(great tonal quality) but have problems really reaching down for that low octave bass. Their upper echelon models I have read nothing but good reviews, however anything in their sub $1000 range people on various forums have said the same thing. One could do better or the same for less money and that is usually when someone speaks of HSU or SVS.

I am open minded and do not need the biggest most popular line out thier I just want high quality with a reasonable price tag.. Maybe when I can get a dedicated HTR I will look to spend a grand or more on one sub..
Mase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:39 AM   #19  
Ever Eddy
 
edders's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,455
Default That's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmase1153 View Post
Well on the back of the sub have one set for 40hz and the other set for a higher frequency. Or in the case of HSU subwoofers they have great reviewed VTF-3 MK3 which is a true low frequency performer and than add the MBM-12 which is their mid bass module. Like I said I am still learning and am trying to take in everything one piece of info at a time..

Well the Room I am in now is roughly 14'x15' but not completely square. The room my equipment will be going into will be larger and open, as it is now my setup is in an enclosed den so with room pressure most subs will sound good but having a living room type set up and more open air I know a single woofer has its work cut out for it. But your right I could just look into one big single or dual enclosed woofer and hope for the best.
Just the frequency they cross over to the sats. They will still produce all frequencies below that and hence the cancellation problem.

Your room is not very large and just about any good sub should work fine. It is hard to know what your future room will be like, or sound like. You actually need enough room for the bass frequencies to propagate so the larger room may actually sound better at your viewing/listening position. We had two homes with open living rooms one going into a den the other into a study. The rooms together were large enough for a 32' bass note to form properly and the sound was awesome at the viewing/listening position. In a large room you will be able to move around and hear spots where the bass is noticeably louder or softer. The trick is to place the woof where it sounds best at the listening position. Usually near center stage works fine, but I have placed subs in the corner on occasion and gotten decent results.

I think experimenting with speaker placement can probably get you the results you want, even with one good sub. The forgotten factor in sound reproduction is always the listening room acoustics. Proper placement and possibly some bass traps can do more to improve your sound than a favorable speaker review. If you read around different reviewers will actually detail the listening environment they auditioned the speakers in knowing that it makes a difference in performance. I would just look for one that has good output with as little distortion and bass hangover as possible (tough in a sub). Last, I don't know why you think down firing subs won't work, but that is your choice.

Anyway, Good luck whichever you decide on.

Ed
edders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:44 AM   #20  
hd junkie
 
RedSIinPA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Outside Phila.
Age: 41
Posts: 899
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatt View Post
Outlaw has some good products.
just an fyi, Outlaw subs are designed by HSU, so HSU fans should take a peek and keep an eye out for Outlaw deals.

Long live Outlaw
RedSIinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:45 AM   #21  
hd junkie
 
RedSIinPA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Outside Phila.
Age: 41
Posts: 899
Default

Paradigm makes some really powerful 15" subs. They sound outstanding.
RedSIinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:51 AM   #22  
HD Ninja
Thread Starter
 
Mase's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,733
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustEd View Post
Just the frequency they cross over to the sats. They will still produce all frequencies below that and hence the cancellation problem.

Your room is not very large and just about any good sub should work fine. It is hard to know what your future room will be like, or sound like. You actually need enough room for the bass frequencies to propagate so the larger room may actually sound better at your viewing/listening position. We had two homes with open living rooms one going into a den the other into a study. The rooms together were large enough for a 32' bass note to form properly and the sound was awesome at the viewing/listening position. In a large room you will be able to move around and hear spots where the bass is noticeably louder or softer. The trick is to place the woof where it sounds best at the listening position. Usually near center stage works fine, but I have placed subs in the corner on occasion and gotten decent results.

I think experimenting with speaker placement can probably get you the results you want, even with one good sub. The forgotten factor in sound reproduction is always the listening room acoustics. Proper placement and possibly some bass traps can do more to improve your sound than a favorable speaker review. If you read around different reviewers will actually detail the listening environment they auditioned the speakers in knowing that it makes a difference in performance. I would just look for one that has good output with as little distortion and bass hangover as possible (tough in a sub). Last, I don't know why you think down firing subs won't work, but that is your choice.

Anyway, Good luck whichever you decide on.

Ed
This is great info right here thank you. I think I should take it slow and start with one solid performing sub and go from there. Now there is the debate of which solid performing sub to go for...

Its not that I dont think downfiring subs work or dont work its the fact that as of this moment I live above someone and downfiring subs would probably end the good relation I currently have with my downstairs neighbor. That and wouldnt downfiring into a carpeted area muffle the bass or take anything away from the bass or is more about port posistioning? I have seen designs with both port and woofer downfired or the woofer facing down while the enclosure has the port on the side. I just always thought with a sidefiring sub it would be more versatile hence my resistance to downfiring subs..

My thinking very well could be wrong in this instance, but thank you for taking your time to help me understand most of the times its the little things like placement room acoustics and such have just a big of an impact as do the audio components themselves.
Mase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:53 AM   #23  
HD Ninja
Thread Starter
 
Mase's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,733
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSIinPA View Post
just an fyi, Outlaw subs are designed by HSU, so HSU fans should take a peek and keep an eye out for Outlaw deals.

Long live Outlaw
Nice I did not know that, another thing I guess I should look out for. Cause as of now it seems HSU is looked at as one of the best bang for the buck subwoofers out thier.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSIinPA View Post
Paradigm makes some really powerful 15" subs. They sound outstanding.
As much as I have looked into Paradigm I never looked at thier subs, but I shall do so now..
Mase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:55 AM   #24  
hd junkie
 
RedSIinPA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Outside Phila.
Age: 41
Posts: 899
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmase1153 View Post
This is great info right here thank you. I think I should take it slow and start with one solid performing sub and go from there. Now there is the debate of which solid performing sub to go for...

Its not that I dont think downfiring subs work or dont work its the fact that as of this moment I live above someone and downfiring subs would probably end the good relation I currently have with my downstairs neighbor. That and wouldnt downfiring into a carpeted area muffle the bass or take anything away from the bass or is more about port posistioning? I have seen designs with both port and woofer downfired or the woofer facing down while the enclosure has the port on the side. I just always thought with a sidefiring sub it would be more versatile hence my resistance to downfiring subs..

My thinking very well could be wrong in this instance, but thank you for taking your time to help me understand most of the times its the little things like placement room acoustics and such have just a big of an impact as do the audio components themselves.
if you live above someone, even a hard hitting 12 or 15, fwd firing, may ruin that relationship.

You should definitely start with one sub. Depending on your room dimensions, one may be fine. I ran 5.1 for until i moved. my new room was large enough that I could place two on the left and right side of the soundstage. Even STILL, I think i could benefit from 3 but the wife would never go for yet another sub in the living room.
RedSIinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:04 AM   #25  
HD Ninja
Thread Starter
 
Mase's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,733
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSIinPA View Post
if you live above someone, even a hard hitting 12 or 15, fwd firing, may ruin that relationship.

You should definitely start with one sub. Depending on your room dimensions, one may be fine. I ran 5.1 for until i moved. my new room was large enough that I could place two on the left and right side of the soundstage. Even STILL, I think i could benefit from 3 but the wife would never go for yet another sub in the living room.
That is deffintely true, I am a good neighbor though and keep everything turned down once it gets dark out. That is why I can not wait to move into my house in May, as loud as I want whenever I want..

You and JustEd are right I should start with one sub and go from there, but it is so tempting with everyone and everything I have read that multiple subs rock!!! Patience is not of virtue in my case
Mase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:10 AM   #26  
hd junkie
 
RedSIinPA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Outside Phila.
Age: 41
Posts: 899
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmase1153 View Post
That is deffintely true, I am a good neighbor though and keep everything turned down once it gets dark out. That is why I can not wait to move into my house in May, as loud as I want whenever I want..

You and JustEd are right I should start with one sub and go from there, but it is so tempting with everyone and everything I have read that multiple subs rock!!! Patience is not of virtue in my case
setting up two subs can be a bigger challenge that setting up one. given their price, you clearly know that patience should prevail in this situation.

I would never be running two if I had not won the Fathom in a contest. (lucky me.) But since I did, there was no question about running 2. They made the choice for me.

Definitely buy for your future house. Sounds like you're on the right path. I would also recommend Earthquake subs. No one on this board has either an Earthquake (obscure, made in the USA though), and JL (retarded expensive). But running the pair of them, I can hear the system in my house pumping from down the street damn the neighbors!
RedSIinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:21 AM   #27  
HD Ninja
Thread Starter
 
Mase's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,733
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSIinPA View Post
setting up two subs can be a bigger challenge that setting up one. given their price, you clearly know that patience should prevail in this situation.

I would never be running two if I had not won the Fathom in a contest. (lucky me.) But since I did, there was no question about running 2. They made the choice for me.

Definitely buy for your future house. Sounds like you're on the right path. I would also recommend Earthquake subs. No one on this board has either an Earthquake (obscure, made in the USA though), and JL (retarded expensive). But running the pair of them, I can hear the system in my house pumping from down the street damn the neighbors!
I deffinitely noticed the Fathom in your sig as well as the earthquake, I am actually looking at the earthquake site now.. How was running just the one earthquake? You are right I have not heard too much about them but they have come up and are regarded very highly by the few people I have seen who own them.. Another great brand of subs to look into

It looks like the Supernova MKIV is in my price range, now the fun part researching


Oh yeah I am not gonna lie but I have developed a little bit of hate for you for winning a JL sub

How did you even win one? was it a local contest or some internet promotion?
Mase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:45 AM   #28  
Define interesting.
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 146
Default

If it were me, I would try the Def Techs and then see if you want the sub. Unless you have a huge room or a 'dead' room you might not want more. Those Def Techs should sound pretty decient with your Onkyo.
IdahoPhil63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:42 PM   #29  
hd junkie
 
RedSIinPA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Outside Phila.
Age: 41
Posts: 899
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmase1153 View Post
I deffinitely noticed the Fathom in your sig as well as the earthquake, I am actually looking at the earthquake site now.. How was running just the one earthquake? You are right I have not heard too much about them but they have come up and are regarded very highly by the few people I have seen who own them.. Another great brand of subs to look into

It looks like the Supernova MKIV is in my price range, now the fun part researching


Oh yeah I am not gonna lie but I have developed a little bit of hate for you for winning a JL sub

How did you even win one? was it a local contest or some internet promotion?

Won the Fathom on a Monthly giveaway contest that's promoted in tandem by AVRevolution and Modern Home Theater. The MKIV series has recently been upended by the MKV (go figure) - but it's an excellent sub. I ran it with Atlantic Technology 2200 speakers in a small living room in my old house (15x15 at the biggest) and that package really threw out some sound. In my living room now, I'm not sure how the quake would've sounded alone. I was running my B&W ASW650 in the living room before the Fathom arrived. I'm sure the Quake would've done nicely. But the room is too big for a single sub IMHO.

One of my family member's is a dealer in Earthquake gear. If you want a price on one, PM me. That's how I got mine. Warning - their website absolutely BLOWS. It's so low-end. But the gear, is definitely not.
RedSIinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:48 PM   #30  
Ever Eddy
 
edders's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,455
Default the only thing I would add

is that 15 by 15 is a small room for proper bass propagation unless it is open to a hallway or other rooms. IMHE

Ed
edders is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to Subwoofer: Best bang for the buck?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best budget 5.1 HT? Cleveland Matt Speakers & Surround Sound 10 09-24-2009 11:54 AM
Audio for TV jeeves124 Flat-Panel TVs 12 06-24-2009 07:13 PM
What's the best bang for buck HD DVD player out there? Captain Crunch HD DVD Players and Discs 28 02-27-2007 08:58 PM
any suggestions for a surround sound?? guitarplaya456 Gaming & Systems 9 10-13-2006 02:28 PM
Need some suggestions on speakers rburtnett68 Speakers & Surround Sound 23 08-25-2006 01:20 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:11 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands