High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > General Chit Chat > Speakers & Surround Sound
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Speakers & Surround Sound A place to learn more about speakers, their functionality and how they can complement your entertainment experience. RSS - Speakers & Surround Sound

Like Tree6Likes

Sound Bar Options

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2018, 01:44 PM   #16
Boob Whisperer....
 
mytime's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Jackson, Missouri
Posts: 11,034
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol View Post
I've heard lots of good things about the Vizio options actually. I just couldn't as an "enthusiast" bring myself to actually look at them. But if you're saying you got a 4K set from them and you like it, maybe it's time to put my nose back down.
I did a ton of research before buying and it all said the same thing. The tv was a top pick. Hdr 10, Dolby Vision , full array with 128 dimming zones. I was coming from a Panny plasma will say this set blows it away.
__________________
PFC5 you will be missed.
mytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:01 PM   #17
I'm Fabulous.
 
awol's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytime View Post
I did a ton of research before buying and it all said the same thing. The tv was a top pick. Hdr 10, Dolby Vision , full array with 128 dimming zones. I was coming from a Panny plasma will say this set blows it away.
Efffff. Why'd you have to tell me that???

I still have the last generation of Panny plasmas... TC-P55VT60. I'm not buying a new TV until my current set dies. Or at least that's what I keep telling myself. And/or Hubby.
awol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:13 PM   #18
Boob Whisperer....
 
mytime's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Jackson, Missouri
Posts: 11,034
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol View Post
Efffff. Why'd you have to tell me that???

I still have the last generation of Panny plasmas... TC-P55VT60. I'm not buying a new TV until my current set dies. Or at least that's what I keep telling myself. And/or Hubby.
Lol! Sorry. Just saying why break the bank on a temp fix for your sound situation ? Will say though.... OLED is calling my name. Prices are dropping on them and itís getting tempting .
__________________
PFC5 you will be missed.
mytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:25 PM   #19
HDF SUPER-MODERATOR
 
ImRizzo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn & Eastern Long Island, NY ....It's not a Place, it's an Attitude and a NY State of Mind !!
Posts: 23,024
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytime View Post
Lol! Sorry. Just saying why break the bank on a temp fix for your sound situation ? Will say though.... OLED is calling my name. Prices are dropping on them and itís getting tempting .
I bought mine about 14 months ago and still blown away by the PQ and when viewing a 4K disc on a 4K player .....WOW !
__________________
*
LG OLED-55B6P~Oppo UDP203~Sony XBR929~Denon3311CI~Mirage Omnisat V2 Spks w/S10SW~DVP5000~Harmony1100

ImRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:27 PM   #20
Boob Whisperer....
 
mytime's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Jackson, Missouri
Posts: 11,034
Default

Here is a pretty objective review on a Vizio soundbar. Really awesome sound from one is going to cost way more than your budget but this one seems to be a decent one for the cash. ( as you know a sub is a must ). https://www.techradar.com/reviews/vi...und-bar-system. By all means shop around and read up.
awol likes this.
__________________
PFC5 you will be missed.
mytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 01:35 PM   #21
Let's Go Pens!
 
cherman24's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Near Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 711
Default

I know this is the appropriate forum for your questions, but judging by the responses, you could have went OT in our game forum. I know marcallo isn’t a fan of the Sammy sound bar, but I love mine. I Bluetooth the ones on the back wall, ran power to the sub in the ceiling to a closet. I’m having no issues. Sorry as I’m not as versed in the topic, but I don’t know if the Sammy performs so well cause I have the “matching” tv
cherman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:27 PM   #22
I'm Fabulous.
 
awol's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherman24 View Post
I know this is the appropriate forum for your questions, but judging by the responses, you could have went OT in our game forum. I know marcallo isnít a fan of the Sammy sound bar, but I love mine. I Bluetooth the ones on the back wall, ran power to the sub in the ceiling to a closet. Iím having no issues. Sorry as Iím not as versed in the topic, but I donít know if the Sammy performs so well cause I have the ďmatchingĒ tv
I did post in the gaming one too. Posted here in case there were other members that don't frequent there.
awol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:39 PM   #23
Boob Whisperer....
 
mytime's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Jackson, Missouri
Posts: 11,034
Default

Settle on one yet?
__________________
PFC5 you will be missed.
mytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:21 AM   #24
I'm Fabulous.
 
awol's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytime View Post
Settle on one yet?
I had to get a water heater first, but I did finally. We were walking through Costco a couple weeks ago and they have the $99 Vizio, a Sony (don't remember $$), a Bose ($$$), a Sonos ($$$$$) and an LG for $250.

The long version...
Spoiler:
We listened to the Vizio, Sony, and the LG. The Vizio actually sounded the best in-store. The Sony I don't remember, but it was priced higher than the other two so I didn't give it much thought. The LG sounded pretty bad. Very empty and hollow. But like TV's, I thought maybe they just didn't have it set right. I got an email that the LG model had dropped to $199, Costco isn't very close to where I live/work, so I looked on Best Buy's website to see if they had it. They did, so went over to see if they had one hooked up I could listen to. It was set up more properly than Costco, and I thought sounded pretty good all things considered. They price matched it, so we took it home and hooked it up. The TV speakers had more dynamic range than this thing did. The subwoofer was pretty impressive, but the audio from sound bar itself was incredibly narrow. Even Hubby was telling me it sounded bad. And he doesn't care about any of this stuff.

So over the weekend we went back up to Costco and grabbed the $99 Vizio. Sounds amazing. It has a "faux" surround effect that is actually surprisingly effective. Meaning more effective than you would think. Not anywhere near what it would be with discrete speakers. And here's what kills me about it. It's a shorter bar (length), but even in regular listening mode, it still has a wider soundstage than the LG does.

The LG does have a few pros to it, it has built in streaming for Spotify, Pandora etc. And it has built in Chromecast. So if you hook it up via HDMI, you can use that to watch Netflix etc. while casting from your phone/tablet/laptop. But if you have more than one thing using HDMI, then that's pointless because it only has one HDMI input.

That said, if you're not going to use Bluetooth on your phone/tablet, you'd be better off getting a ROKU or similar and letting that be your audio source for music with the VIZIO rather than the LG bar. Especially considering you'd be doing it for music.


Bottom line. The $99 Vizio shouldn't sound as good as it does for how much it costs. And that's the one we ended up with.
awol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 05:38 PM   #25
Boob Whisperer....
 
mytime's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Jackson, Missouri
Posts: 11,034
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol View Post
I had to get a water heater first, but I did finally. We were walking through Costco a couple weeks ago and they have the $99 Vizio, a Sony (don't remember $$), a Bose ($$$), a Sonos ($$$$$) and an LG for $250.

The long version...
Spoiler:
We listened to the Vizio, Sony, and the LG. The Vizio actually sounded the best in-store. The Sony I don't remember, but it was priced higher than the other two so I didn't give it much thought. The LG sounded pretty bad. Very empty and hollow. But like TV's, I thought maybe they just didn't have it set right. I got an email that the LG model had dropped to $199, Costco isn't very close to where I live/work, so I looked on Best Buy's website to see if they had it. They did, so went over to see if they had one hooked up I could listen to. It was set up more properly than Costco, and I thought sounded pretty good all things considered. They price matched it, so we took it home and hooked it up. The TV speakers had more dynamic range than this thing did. The subwoofer was pretty impressive, but the audio from sound bar itself was incredibly narrow. Even Hubby was telling me it sounded bad. And he doesn't care about any of this stuff.

So over the weekend we went back up to Costco and grabbed the $99 Vizio. Sounds amazing. It has a "faux" surround effect that is actually surprisingly effective. Meaning more effective than you would think. Not anywhere near what it would be with discrete speakers. And here's what kills me about it. It's a shorter bar (length), but even in regular listening mode, it still has a wider soundstage than the LG does.

The LG does have a few pros to it, it has built in streaming for Spotify, Pandora etc. And it has built in Chromecast. So if you hook it up via HDMI, you can use that to watch Netflix etc. while casting from your phone/tablet/laptop. But if you have more than one thing using HDMI, then that's pointless because it only has one HDMI input.

That said, if you're not going to use Bluetooth on your phone/tablet, you'd be better off getting a ROKU or similar and letting that be your audio source for music with the VIZIO rather than the LG bar. Especially considering you'd be doing it for music.


Bottom line. The $99 Vizio shouldn't sound as good as it does for how much it costs. And that's the one we ended up with.
Sweet. Iím shopping for Atmos speakers. Taking my time. Trying to decide what I want more. Those or a new driver for the golf bag.
__________________
PFC5 you will be missed.
mytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > General Chit Chat > Speakers & Surround Sound
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:16 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright ©2004 - 2008, High Def Forum