High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Speakers & Surround Sound A place to learn more about speakers, their functionality and how they can complement your entertainment experience.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jkkyler

Understanding Receivers and how to choose one?

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2016, 07:14 PM   #1  
What is HD?
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 4
Default Understanding Receivers and how to choose one?

Hey guys! So I just posted a thread about some speakers, but I got a really great deal on a set of Polk Audio RM7600 Speakers, I still need to get a sub, looking at the Polk Audio PSW10 for sure, but as far as a receiver, I'm lost!

The speakers are rated: RMS Power Range (watts) 20-150
Impedance: 8 ohms

The Receiver that I would really like includes these specs:
Around 100 W Per Channel (Discrete Amps)
No Wi-Fi
5.1 Channel Surround only, 7.1 not necessary, but I won't complain if it comes with it.
4k not necessary, but I wouldn't mind if it came with it.
No Bluetooth necessary
I use my xbox one as a blu-ray player, so I just need a basic receiver.
At least 1 In/1 Out HDMI

Does anybody know any receivers like this?
CptnAhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:28 AM   #2  
I bleed for HD
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 14,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnAhab View Post
Hey guys! So I just posted a thread about some speakers, but I got a really great deal on a set of Polk Audio RM7600 Speakers, I still need to get a sub, looking at the Polk Audio PSW10 for sure, but as far as a receiver, I'm lost!

The speakers are rated: RMS Power Range (watts) 20-150
Impedance: 8 ohms

The Receiver that I would really like includes these specs:
Around 100 W Per Channel (Discrete Amps)
No Wi-Fi
5.1 Channel Surround only, 7.1 not necessary, but I won't complain if it comes with it.
4k not necessary, but I wouldn't mind if it came with it.
No Bluetooth necessary
I use my xbox one as a blu-ray player, so I just need a basic receiver.
At least 1 In/1 Out HDMI

Does anybody know any receivers like this?
What is your budget?
jkkyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:24 PM   #3  
What is HD?
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 4
Default

I've got up to $300 Dollars, I'd prefer to stay under $200 though.
I've seen these around town, and I'm thinking I could get these ones:

Sony STR-DH500 5.1-Channel A/V Receiver
Denon AVR 1312

Last edited by CptnAhab; 07-07-2016 at 04:37 PM..
CptnAhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:21 PM   #4  
I bleed for HD
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 14,227
Default

Here is my recommendation (but it is the last one in stock)
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

This would be my alternate choice
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

Stay away from Sony AVR all but their very high end line ( > $1000) are substandard compared to competition and their entry level receivers perform poorly.
ImRizzo likes this.
jkkyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:30 PM   #5  
What is HD?
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 4
Default

Thank you! These look great and just what I was looking for! As far as entry level goes, is sony always one to stay away from?
CptnAhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:45 PM   #6  
HDF SUPER-MODERATOR
 
ImRizzo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn..It's not a Place, it's an Attitude, & LI,NY
Posts: 23,605
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnAhab View Post
Thank you! These look great and just what I was looking for! As far as entry level goes, is sony always one to stay away from?
Sony only produces quality receivers in their hi-end product line
the cheaper product line is a waste of money.
ImRizzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:47 PM   #7  
HDF SUPER-MODERATOR
 
ImRizzo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn..It's not a Place, it's an Attitude, & LI,NY
Posts: 23,605
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkkyler View Post
Here is my recommendation (but it is the last one in stock)
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

This would be my alternate choice
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

Stay away from Sony AVR all but their very high end line ( > $1000) are substandard compared to competition and their entry level receivers perform poorly.
My personal preference is the Denon line and the receiver listed is ideal.
ImRizzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 01:04 AM   #8  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
hotrod351's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 605
Default

your not going to get much for $300.00. the old = you get what you pay for.
hotrod351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:37 PM   #9  
My plasma is High Def.
 

Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 5
Default

I agree with hotrod351

sdi over fiber

Last edited by ottoj; 02-05-2017 at 11:54 PM..
ottoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:20 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands