High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Speakers & Surround Sound A place to learn more about speakers, their functionality and how they can complement your entertainment experience.

Like Tree2Likes

Finding the right Reciever

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2015, 10:01 AM   #1  
A couch and an HDTV to go please.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 10
Default Finding the right Reciever

Hi guys im somewhat new to the home theater world so I apologize if this is a newbie type question.

My previous experience with home theater has been all "home theater in a box" setups so I have never had to chose my own receiver. I'm working on a setup which will be 7.1 surround in a room that is about 16ft deep with seating that will be about 10-12 ft from the 60" screen I have.

I have four Klipsch R-2650 C II as my in ceiling surrounds and was considering getting 3 Klipsch KL-6504-THX as my F/L/C channels. Of course this led me into the wonderful world of watts, speaker sensitivities, power handling, impedance, etc... In short it seems that you can run into trouble with quality and speaker damage if you chose a receiver that is underpowered for your speakers.

I of course then went looking for a reciever that could put out 200/channel (rec by klipsch for the 6504s) and as you can guess could not find one. Then I found an interesting thread here about how one would not ever need that much power and would go deaf before getting to 200watts.

So my concern is this, is there a receiver out there at say 125 or 150 watts/chan that I could run this setup with AND avoid damaging those speakers while watching movies etc... Im not so much worried about volume since im sure they will be plenty loud but I do want to avoid damaging those expensive speakers at all costs!

Thanks again for any help and sorry if this seems like a basic question!
JAG!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:14 AM   #2  
I bleed for HD
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 14,225
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG!! View Post
Hi guys im somewhat new to the home theater world so I apologize if this is a newbie type question.

My previous experience with home theater has been all "home theater in a box" setups so I have never had to chose my own receiver. I'm working on a setup which will be 7.1 surround in a room that is about 16ft deep with seating that will be about 10-12 ft from the 60" screen I have.

I have four Klipsch R-2650 C II as my in ceiling surrounds and was considering getting 3 Klipsch KL-6504-THX as my F/L/C channels. Of course this led me into the wonderful world of watts, speaker sensitivities, power handling, impedance, etc... In short it seems that you can run into trouble with quality and speaker damage if you chose a receiver that is underpowered for your speakers.

I of course then went looking for a reciever that could put out 200/channel (rec by klipsch for the 6504s) and as you can guess could not find one. Then I found an interesting thread here about how one would not ever need that much power and would go deaf before getting to 200watts.

So my concern is this, is there a receiver out there at say 125 or 150 watts/chan that I could run this setup with AND avoid damaging those speakers while watching movies etc... Im not so much worried about volume since im sure they will be plenty loud but I do want to avoid damaging those expensive speakers at all costs!

Thanks again for any help and sorry if this seems like a basic question!
Yea you will be fine with a 125-150 WPC receiver. What price range are you looking in I can help with that a giid bit .

FWIW you will get more response in 'speakers and surround sound' section. This receiver subforum usually deals more with satellite boxes and that type of receiver.

Last edited by jkkyler; 01-14-2015 at 10:27 AM..
jkkyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:18 AM   #3  
A couch and an HDTV to go please.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 10
Default

Thanks! My price range is anywhere from 500-1000$ Just want to get something I wont have to replace for awhile.

Is there a way to move this thread there? Or do I just need to re post it?
JAG!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:27 AM   #4  
HDF SUPER-MODERATOR
 
ImRizzo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn..It's not a Place, it's an Attitude, & LI,NY
Posts: 23,597
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG!! View Post
Hi guys im somewhat new to the home theater world so I apologize if this is a newbie type question.

My previous experience with home theater has been all "home theater in a box" setups so I have never had to chose my own receiver. I'm working on a setup which will be 7.1 surround in a room that is about 16ft deep with seating that will be about 10-12 ft from the 60" screen I have.

I have four Klipsch R-2650 C II as my in ceiling surrounds and was considering getting 3 Klipsch KL-6504-THX as my F/L/C channels. Of course this led me into the wonderful world of watts, speaker sensitivities, power handling, impedance, etc... In short it seems that you can run into trouble with quality and speaker damage if you chose a receiver that is underpowered for your speakers.

I of course then went looking for a reciever that could put out 200/channel (rec by klipsch for the 6504s) and as you can guess could not find one. Then I found an interesting thread here about how one would not ever need that much power and would go deaf before getting to 200watts.

So my concern is this, is there a receiver out there at say 125 or 150 watts/chan that I could run this setup with AND avoid damaging those speakers while watching movies etc... Im not so much worried about volume since im sure they will be plenty loud but I do want to avoid damaging those expensive speakers at all costs!

Thanks again for any help and sorry if this seems like a basic question!
I'm a Denon advocate, using a 3311CI 125 WPC, quite a nice unit but some of their new line are amazing. But there are also other manufacturers with really nice equipment you also need to set a budget to get accurate replies ...
ImRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:33 AM   #5  
I bleed for HD
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 14,225
Default

Here is a link for the Denon3312 (the newer model of Rizzo's). If you don't mind getting a refurb from acessories4less. They are full warranty , indistinguishable from new and heavily discounted. Accessories4less is well known on this forum to be a reputable dealer who takes care of its customers

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...airplay/1.html


$499 (for a $1099 MSRP AVR) which has everything you would want to include a 2nd HDMI out in case you ever needed to feed another display as well as zone 2 speaker outputs Front height and/or front wide settings 2 if you want. Should keep you from having to consider any type of upgrade for a number of years.

If you are concerned about 4k then perhaps the DenonAVR-X4000 @ $649 (MSRP $1299). Either would most likely be overkill for you and more than enough to suit your needs well into the future.

If you absolutely will only look at Factory Fresh new (A4L are mostly units that people couldn't figure out - examined restored and guaranteed to be indistinguishable from new w/ full manuf warranty) then let us know and we can offer some other options. Essentially what you need to do is avoid clipping in your amp which leads to DC current going to the speaker damaging the voice coils - no decent AVR in your range should be clipping at listening levels on you.
ImRizzo likes this.

Last edited by jkkyler; 01-14-2015 at 10:43 AM..
jkkyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:44 AM   #6  
HDF SUPER-MODERATOR
 
ImRizzo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn..It's not a Place, it's an Attitude, & LI,NY
Posts: 23,597
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkkyler View Post
Here is a link for the Denon3312 (the newer model of Rizzo's). If you don't mind getting a refurb from acessories4less. They are full warranty , indistinguishable from new and heavily discounted. Accessories4less is well known on this forum to be a reputable dealer who takes care of its customers

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...airplay/1.html


$499 (for a $1099 MSRP AVR) which has everything you would want to include a 2nd HDMI out in case you ever needed to feed another display as well as zone 2 speaker outputs Front height and/or front wide settings 2 if you want. Should keep you from having to consider any type of upgrade for a number of years.
My personal feeling is toward the use of refurbs and I used quite a few and never experienced any problems. they often inc in their wording "may show cosmetic blemishes" but I never got anything that wasn't near-mint to mint condition. Was I lucky? I never heard anyone Bitch about them and they are quick to resolve any problems immediately.
ImRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:50 AM   #7  
HDF SUPER-MODERATOR
 
ImRizzo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn..It's not a Place, it's an Attitude, & LI,NY
Posts: 23,597
Default

I like Accessories4Less Refurb description disclaimer, very accurate: (btw this is a Accessories4Less) standard product line disclaimer with manufacturers Name exchanged.


Quote:
Denon Factory Refurbished

Buying a Denon Factory Refurbished product is a great way to get "as-new" products at a considerable savings. Every product has been thoroughly tested, repaired (if necessary), cleaned and otherwise renewed to original condition. Next it’s repackaged in a new box with all original accessories included. When you consider that a factory-renewed Denon product undergoes such close scrutiny for defects and workmanship, you might actually be buying something that is in many ways better than new. And for your piece of mind and protection, your purchase is covered by a full 1 year parts and labor warranty valid at any authorized Denon repair center (you can look-up locations online here or call 201-762-6665)

Denon, like all electronics manufactures, receives products returned for various reasons. In 2011 consumers returned 17 billion dollars in electronics globally, of which less than 5% were found to be defective! Once a product has been opened it must be resold as refurbished and can’t be resold as new again. The history and reason why a product was returned is not provided to us, thus we can’t provide any additional details regarding its past. All products are processed by Denon certified technicians, where they are fully tested, repaired (only if necessary), and retested again to ensure the highest quality control. Each unit must pass a complete battery of test before it can be titled a "Denon Factory Refurbished" product.

All units are Cosmetically in Mint Condition (graded a 9 or higher on a scale of 1-10) unless otherwise stated. Very minor signs of wear (light surface scuffs or minor scratches) may be present, although most units show little or no signs of any usage. We DO NOT sell products that are cosmetically damaged (cracked displays, broken knobs, heavy scratches, or physically abused) unless noted in the description. Unfortunately, we can’t provide actual photos of each unit or pick the best one for anyone, as they are all randomly chosen from our factory sealed boxes.
ImRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:54 AM   #8  
HDF SUPER-MODERATOR
 
ImRizzo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn..It's not a Place, it's an Attitude, & LI,NY
Posts: 23,597
Default

Here's MEGA Bang for the BUCK !!!

2499.00 for $888.88 ......64%off msrp
Denon 4520CI 150 WPC

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...-150wpc/1.html
ImRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:58 AM   #9  
A couch and an HDTV to go please.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 10
Default

That looks great! I will def look into that receiver and website when I get home from work.
JAG!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:59 AM   #10  
HDF SUPER-MODERATOR
 
ImRizzo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn..It's not a Place, it's an Attitude, & LI,NY
Posts: 23,597
Default

either way if you should choose a high end Denon I would suggest you use Bat-Pigs site for manual translations this guy is a Denon Guru

http://batpigworld.com/wp/
ImRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:06 PM   #11  
I bleed for HD
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 14,225
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRizzo View Post
Here's MEGA Bang for the BUCK !!!

2499.00 for $888.88 ......64%off msrp
Denon 4520CI 150 WPC

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...-150wpc/1.html
I saw that as well and was like OMFG. (Even less than some other prices on lesser AVR) Had I not bought a new Receiver in Sep. I would probably have jumped on one of those deals. As it is I went to a Pioneer Elite AVR (Class D) and got rid of the furnace (class A amp ) I had before that.

To the OP - all those AVR will have more than enough power. To actually get something that was 200WPC as many Manuf recommend you would have to look at a dedicated amp only solution with a separate pre-pro which can really wreck a budget and is mega- drastic overkill.
ImRizzo likes this.

Last edited by jkkyler; 01-14-2015 at 12:10 PM..
jkkyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:02 PM   #12  
Hard rock made me hi-deaf
 
straybeat's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Phoenix
Age: 62
Posts: 465
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRizzo View Post
Here's MEGA Bang for the BUCK !!!

2499.00 for $888.88 ......64%off msrp
Denon 4520CI 150 WPC

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...-150wpc/1.html
Wow, that thing looks like the monolith from 2001.

Like JK, if I hadn't just bought a new Yamaha that would be mine.
straybeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:27 PM   #13  
A couch and an HDTV to go please.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 10
Default

Thanks everyone for the great information! I will definitely be getting my receiver from A4L. That denon 4520cl looks great and ill be looking at that one and whatever pioneer has to offer (since I have had those receivers before).

I did see the onkyo tx-nr3010 on A4L as well though it is 1200$

Any general thoughts on Denon vs Pioneer vs Onkyo? Or is it all personal preference?

Thanks again for all your help guys

Last edited by JAG!!; 01-14-2015 at 10:04 PM..
JAG!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:05 PM   #14  
Boob Whisperer....
 
mytime's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Jackson, Missouri
Posts: 11,054
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG!! View Post
Thanks everyone for the great information! I will definitely be getting my receiver from A4L. That denon 4520cl looks great and ill be looking at that one and whatever pioneer has to offer (since I have had those receivers before).

I did see the onkyo tx-nr3010 on A4L as well though it is 1200$

Any general thoughts on Denon vs Pioneer vs Onkyo? Or is it all personal preference?

Thanks again for all your help guys
Had an onkyo. Ran way too hot imo. I like my Denon . A4L is a great site. Never had a problem with them.
mytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:12 AM   #15  
I bleed for HD
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 14,225
Default

Onkyo's run really hot as mentioned and this tends to dry out the resistor caps and they have been known to have some hdmi board issues. Enough so that I shied away form them after having the TX-NR905 their flagship receiver prior to my current one.

Also just a reminder - when paying with credit card (typical on internet purchases) many credit cards companies will double or extend original manuf warranty.

Last edited by jkkyler; 01-15-2015 at 08:47 AM..
jkkyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:21 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands