High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource (https://www.highdefforum.com/index.php)
-   Speakers & Surround Sound (https://www.highdefforum.com/speakers-surround-sound-42/)
-   -   Subwoofer Cables (https://www.highdefforum.com/speakers-surround-sound/140229-subwoofer-cables.html)

jay1080 02-17-2013 03:23 PM

Subwoofer Cables
 
I would like to buy a sub-woofer cable long enough to give myself some slack and try different locations in the room. Looking a cables... as usual... the price varies quite a bit. How are these cables from Monoprice? Should I spend more here?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

The price is much cheaper than some competing cables such as these below:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...-25.6ft/1.html

and

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=184-222

ImRizzo 02-17-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay1080 (Post 1301379)
I would like to buy a sub-woofer cable long enough to give myself some slack and try different locations in the room. Looking a cables... as usual... the price varies quite a bit. How are these cables from Monoprice? Should I spend more here?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

The price is much cheaper than some competing cables such as these below:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...-25.6ft/1.html

and

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=184-222

I've been using the Monoprice sub/wire without fail for over 5 yrs and no regret ...... no need to send more.

jay1080 02-17-2013 06:38 PM

Next question....
 
Sounds good. Next question... I'm buying all Def Tech home theater speakers. Not all at once but piecing them together as I save for them. So far I have the Promontior 1000's as my left and right and next I will get the Def Center.

http://www.definitivetech.com/products/procenter-1000

The sales guy is showing me the Def Sub which I'm sure is nice but at $400 bucks I wonder if there is anything wrong with using something less high end as I'm interested in movies and not music. Look at this Dayton sub below. Would this be a good alternate to the Def Sub? The price/value is much higher.

http://www.definitivetech.com/products/prosub-1000

Here is that Dayton Sub

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-629

ImRizzo 02-17-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay1080 (Post 1301405)
Sounds good. Next question... I'm buying all Def Tech home theater speakers. Not all at once but piecing them together as I save for them. So far I have the Promontior 1000's as my left and right and next I will get the Def Center.

http://www.definitivetech.com/products/procenter-1000

The sales guy is showing me the Def Sub which I'm sure is nice but at $400 bucks I wonder if there is anything wrong with using something less high end as I'm interested in movies and not music. Look at this Dayton sub below. Would this be a good alternate to the Def Sub? The price/value is much higher.

http://www.definitivetech.com/products/prosub-1000

Here is that Dayton Sub

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-629

Don't skimp on your Sub, the LFE on movies are demanding and a poorer quality sub will break up and distort resulting in disappointment.

jay1080 02-17-2013 06:45 PM

Is that Dayton a poor quality sub? whats there reputation? What are good manufactures?

ImRizzo 02-17-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay1080 (Post 1301407)
Is that Dayton a poor quality sub? whats there reputation? What are good manufactures?

Some of the best would be

HSU , SVS , REL , SUNFIRE,

Here are some reviews all price ranhes
http://www.hometheater.com/category/subwoofer-reviews

jpcamaro70 02-17-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay1080 (Post 1301405)
Sounds good. Next question... I'm buying all Def Tech home theater speakers. Not all at once but piecing them together as I save for them. So far I have the Promontior 1000's as my left and right and next I will get the Def Center.

http://www.definitivetech.com/products/procenter-1000

The sales guy is showing me the Def Sub which I'm sure is nice but at $400 bucks I wonder if there is anything wrong with using something less high end as I'm interested in movies and not music. Look at this Dayton sub below. Would this be a good alternate to the Def Sub? The price/value is much higher.

http://www.definitivetech.com/products/prosub-1000

Here is that Dayton Sub

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-629

I use monoprice cables for my deftech setup and no problems. DON'T spend more on BS.

hotrod351 02-19-2013 07:47 AM

i feel when it comes to speakers you get what you pay for, unless you find a smoking deal on a high end speaker for 1/2 price. ive been using a yamaha powered subwoofer for more than 10 years now and it still amazes me. also have jamo 707i towers for fronts and a big yamaha center with two small yamaha rears. in all the years ive had them ive never questioned weather they sounded good. as for cables, well theres been a lot said about expensive verses cheap. so what i do is buy the monster on ebay, new, for the same price as the cheap ones. figure its not going to hurt, might not be any difference but if i can buy a higher priced cable for the same price, well thats a no brainer. ive never had any problems with any of my cables and ive had them connected for years and use my equipment everyday. the monster cable you have listed with the splitter is being sold ob ebay for i think the same price so thats a good deal.

jkkyler 02-19-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotrod351 (Post 1301638)
i feel when it comes to speakers you get what you pay for, unless you find a smoking deal on a high end speaker for 1/2 price. ive been using a yamaha powered subwoofer for more than 10 years now and it still amazes me. also have jamo 707i towers for fronts and a big yamaha center with two small yamaha rears. in all the years ive had them ive never questioned weather they sounded good. as for cables, well theres been a lot said about expensive verses cheap. so what i do is buy the monster on ebay, new, for the same price as the cheap ones. figure its not going to hurt, might not be any difference but if i can buy a higher priced cable for the same price, well thats a no brainer. ive never had any problems with any of my cables and ive had them connected for years and use my equipment everyday. the monster cable you have listed with the splitter is being sold ob ebay for i think the same price so thats a good deal.

Seeing as my HDMI cables for 8 ft or less cost me about $3 I find it hard to believe you are paying that for overpriced, overhyped monster. Monster is the BOSE of audio cables - they trick you with their marleting and inflated pricing into thinking you are getting a premium or better item when in fact you're not.

To the op $300-$500 is a realistic budget for a good quality sub - you can certainly spend more but rarely will you find something decent for less.

quad4.0 02-19-2013 10:02 AM

I gotta go with JYkler. Why waste money? Even if you were wealthy, it's a waste. The HDMI cables really get me. The high prices! When they 1st came out especially. BB had a party ripping people off, until good sense and cheap cables were made public.
There are inferior cables out there. The red and wite and yellow lines that come with lots of equipment are really cheap. In fact like $0.04 on the net. Then I have seen cables as high as $10k!! That is insaninty in it's purest form. ( although they are probably worth it IF you have say a $30k turntable).
Beldon cables, blue Jeans, and a slew of others make good quality cables that will suffice and do what you need them to, without buying the house again. ME, I will not use cheap cables. Only premium. BUt, I won't spend a bundle either. I admit to having monster-BUT they are the less costly line and were free when I bought my stuff.
Because I bought at a local stereo shop, I negociated them in the purchase. Same with my sub cable. BUt buying off the web it's not possible.

jay1080 02-19-2013 04:50 PM

Thanks for all the advise guys. For my first sub I'll save my pennys and spend some money. I'm not sold on the speaker wire... I think buying it by the foot a Home Depot makes sense to me.

jkkyler 02-19-2013 09:29 PM

My speaker wire is 14g lamp cord from the spool at home depot. No difference vs ' premium wire.

Sykotic 02-21-2013 12:02 AM

I use RG6 coax ran in wall to sub location. Just use the coax to rca adapters. More and more newer homes are coming prewired for this.

hotrod351 02-22-2013 11:35 AM

i get monster cables for the same price as the cheaper ones. are they better, dont know or care. they work. ive never paid anywhere near listed price for a monster cable. ive read so much on cables, either they work or they dont. if i have a choice of a monster for $10.00 or a cheap aftermarket for $8.00, well i spend the extra $2.00. after all monster didnt do anything to me. and ive never had any problems with any of there, or any other, cables in the past 10 + years. best thing is read the reviews on amazon about different cables. some people have problems with certain one and others dont. might be how the hook them up, how they route them, who knows. but no im not going to pay $100.00 for a HDMI cable, not rich. hey to each there own. i do what has been working for me. if i had a long run and the only name brand cable i could find cost $200.00 then id at least try the cheap one and see how it worked. i do have a 16' monoprice hdmi for connecting my ps3 to my tv and havent had any problems in 8 + years.

hotrod351 02-22-2013 11:40 AM

2 Attachment(s)
heres another example. i just bought a monster ssub cable because i was using 4 python cable joined together and messed up one of the connectors. i did fix it but figured i didnt want it to happen again. i only paid $12.00 to my door for a 16'. by the way, is there a difference in the sound, well i cant hear it. but at least now i have one solid cable.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:15 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands