High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Speakers & Surround Sound A place to learn more about speakers, their functionality and how they can complement your entertainment experience.

Upgrading: Please help experts

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2009, 06:11 PM   #1  
How can anyone watch standard def?
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 25
Default Upgrading: Please help experts

Hi. I'm new to the forum and thanks for all your expert advise. I have read every speaker and surround sound post dating back to June before taking time to post this. I am looking to improve my surround sound after just updating my TV and Bluray player.

My oringal goal was to go with BOSE but after reading these forums I am going to stay away from them. I will admit I truly like their sound but that is probably because I was unaware of better sound options. I will do the best to explain my preferences and goals and I hope you can help. If it matters my TV is a Samsung UN55B8000 and the Bluray is also a Samsung.

My current surround sound is a Onkyo HT-r340 (or at least thats what the back of the reciever says) and I think it sounds bland and too direct. It also does not have HDMI inputs! I am hoping to get a system that does not have a direct sound so I am looking to buy the Mirage Nanostat 5.1 (open to other ideas). These are not available in my city to audition. I also am hoping to update my receiver. My primay purpose is for TV and Movies not music (will be listened to occasionally) My budget at this point is around $1000. Room size is 20X12 but seating area is 12X12. Here is what I am looking for:

Must haves.
3 HDMI Inputs without pass through, quality indirect sound, 5.1, current codecs, something that I can enjoy for a long time,

Would Like:
4+ HDMI, multiple zone sound, Iphone cabability, HD radio capability, prefer refurb stuff to save the money,

Thank you in advance for your time and suggestions!!!
pghmarlboroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:41 PM   #2  
Former Super Moderator
 
Loves2Watch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: In Flux
Posts: 20,283
Default

How about this then - http://www.accessories4less.com/make...r-Black/1.html a killer receiver to say the least...

and this - http://www.accessories4less.com/make...-Black-/1.html

This combination would rock your world for many years to come and sound light years better than anything Bose produces.


Hope this helps.
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:59 PM   #3  
waylin rules
 
caliberconst.'s Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 642
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves2Watch View Post
How about this then - http://www.accessories4less.com/make...r-Black/1.html a killer receiver to say the least...

and this - http://www.accessories4less.com/make...-Black-/1.html

This combination would rock your world for many years to come and sound light years better than anything Bose produces.


Hope this helps.
Seriously, that would be a bad ass setup! That is a smokin price on those kef 's

Last edited by caliberconst.; 12-12-2009 at 11:04 PM..
caliberconst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:19 PM   #4  
How can anyone watch standard def?
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves2Watch View Post

This combination would rock your world for many years to come and sound light years better than anything Bose produces.


Hope this helps.
Thank you for your response! I somehow knew that you would respond seeing how active you are in these forums!

I have a question about the KEF speakers if you don't mind. Can the rears be mounted on the ceiling like the nanostats? Do to the very unique setup of my living room I do not have the ability to mount rear speakers behind me.

Also, if you don't mind could you share the difference between the 806 and the 706? There is a price difference of $130. Finally should I be concerned about 7.2 longterm or will the 7.1 setup do just fine?
pghmarlboroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:21 PM   #5  
How can anyone watch standard def?
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliberconst. View Post
Seriously, that would be a bad ass setup! That is a smokin price on those kef 's
Thank you for your response as well cal... Anything else you think I should be considering? All feedback is welcome as this is a big purchase for me.
pghmarlboroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:34 AM   #6  
waylin rules
 
caliberconst.'s Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 642
Default

The one loves2watch posted is pretty awesome. I mean there are a few more depending on your sound preference. You could do The paradigm cinema 110 ct 5.1 with an onkyo 707 From amazon for $1050

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

There is deftech pro cinema 60.6 at vanns for $400
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/ca...ater-speakers/

Infinity tss-500 at vanns $400
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/ca...nity-speakers/

Klipsch 5.0 quintlet 3 at vanns $200
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...ch-quintet-iii
With Infinity ps210 for $250
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Subwoofer.html
couple good recievers
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it.../denon-avr1910
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...amaha-rxv765bl
If it was me I would probably go for the reciever that L2W posted, that is alot of reciever for the money. As far as mounting to the celling I think most of these can be mounted that way with a basic adjustable wall mount. I know the klipsch I posted use their stands for wall mounts.

Last edited by caliberconst.; 12-13-2009 at 01:43 AM..
caliberconst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:27 AM   #7  
Former Super Moderator
 
Loves2Watch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: In Flux
Posts: 20,283
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghmarlboroman View Post
Thank you for your response! I somehow knew that you would respond seeing how active you are in these forums!

I have a question about the KEF speakers if you don't mind. Can the rears be mounted on the ceiling like the nanostats? Do to the very unique setup of my living room I do not have the ability to mount rear speakers behind me.

Also, if you don't mind could you share the difference between the 806 and the 706? There is a price difference of $130. Finally should I be concerned about 7.2 longterm or will the 7.1 setup do just fine?
Mounting them on a ceiling would be a bit tricky. Can you give us a diagram of your room so we can recommend something better for your needs.

BTW, the Paradigm Cinema Series of speakers caliberconst. listed are awesome as well and are better speakers, particularly in your situation. They could be wall mounted easily and/or possibly ceiling mounted.

The 806 has more features, more power, is THX Ultra 2 certified, 5 HDMI inputs, has excellent video upscaling via Faroudja DCDI, includes the top of the line Audyssey MultEQ for Room Correction and Speaker Calibration, Audyssey Dynamic EQ which moves the soundstage so you are always in the sweet spot even at lower volume. The 707 has some of these features but lacks the extra power for wider dynamic range (which may not be important to you), lacks the better power supply, is not THX Ultra 2 certified. Either would be a fine choice but since you want a high quality AVR that would/should last a lifetime and do everything both now and in the future with power to spare I chose the 806.

Last edited by Loves2Watch; 12-13-2009 at 06:41 AM..
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:34 AM   #8  
Define interesting.
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 146
Default

Another option, other than the Onkyo would be a step up to
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...H-K.Shop?tab=A
and I would pair this with the Def Techs that Caliberconst mentioned.
You never did mention what speakers your currently useing? Im supprised no one picked up on that, could be you need to step away from the Onkyo sound and save money or put more into better, quality sounding reciever. Thats not a knock on Onkyo either calm down, even Onkyo has tiering within their products.
You may need to only spend money on rear surrounds and a better reciever....I'm just saying.
IdahoPhil63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:22 AM   #9  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 401
Default

Regarding the KEF's, I would choose a speaker system that uses tower speakers for front speakers, not those little satellites. I have heard the KEF, and they sound nice, but I prefer the fuller sound of tower speakers. I didn't get a chance to see the rest of the suggestions, but that's what I would look for.

Pycroft
Pycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:48 AM   #10  
How can anyone watch standard def?
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 25
Default

[QUOTE=Loves2Watch;973837]Mounting them on a ceiling would be a bit tricky. Can you give us a diagram of your room so we can recommend something better for your needs.

I would love to but I can't figure how to do that. I created my room in paint but I cannot bring it over to a forum format. Please tell me what I should use and I will gladly use that format to post it.
pghmarlboroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:52 AM   #11  
How can anyone watch standard def?
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoPhil63 View Post
Another option, other than the Onkyo would be a step up to

and I would pair this with the Def Techs that Caliberconst mentioned.
You never did mention what speakers your currently useing? Im supprised no one picked up on that, could be you need to step away from the Onkyo sound and save money or put more into better, quality sounding reciever. Thats not a knock on Onkyo either calm down, even Onkyo has tiering within their products.
You may need to only spend money on rear surrounds and a better reciever....I'm just saying.
Hi Idaho, Thank you for your help too. The speakers that I am using are part of a HTIB that the receiver came with (sorry I forgot that detail) and I believe the sub is passive but I am not sure.

As far as the reciever suggestion goes, does it offer more options than the 806? These guys have me leaning that way.

Last edited by pghmarlboroman; 12-13-2009 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: Spelling
pghmarlboroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:56 AM   #12  
How can anyone watch standard def?
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliberconst. View Post
The one loves2watch posted is pretty awesome. I mean there are a few more depending on your sound preference. You could do The paradigm cinema 110 ct 5.1 with an onkyo 707 From amazon for $1050

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

There is deftech pro cinema 60.6 at vanns for $400
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/ca...ater-speakers/

Infinity tss-500 at vanns $400
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/ca...nity-speakers/

Klipsch 5.0 quintlet 3 at vanns $200
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...ch-quintet-iii
With Infinity ps210 for $250
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Subwoofer.html
couple good recievers
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it.../denon-avr1910
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...amaha-rxv765bl
If it was me I would probably go for the reciever that L2W posted, that is alot of reciever for the money. As far as mounting to the celling I think most of these can be mounted that way with a basic adjustable wall mount. I know the klipsch I posted use their stands for wall mounts.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I must admit though I am getting confused in all the speaker options and I can't seem to find somewhere that I can listen to a lot of these. I want speakers that will blend with the enviroment as best as possible without being able to detect where the sound is coming from (at least for movies and tv). I want the best sound I can get for my money but I am not sure how to explain it from there.

Also I am leading towards the 806 now.

Last edited by pghmarlboroman; 12-13-2009 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: typo
pghmarlboroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:59 AM   #13  
How can anyone watch standard def?
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pycroft View Post
Regarding the KEF's, I would choose a speaker system that uses tower speakers for front speakers, not those little satellites. I have heard the KEF, and they sound nice, but I prefer the fuller sound of tower speakers. I didn't get a chance to see the rest of the suggestions, but that's what I would look for.

Pycroft
Hi Pycroft. Thanks for your help. I too prefer the sound of tower speakers but unfortunately that won't help in this case. We bought the tv to replace a projection tv and open up our narrow living room a bit. I really need to stick with wall mountable small profile speakers.
pghmarlboroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:49 AM   #14  
waylin rules
 
caliberconst.'s Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 642
Default

I gotta say I really think that onkyo 806 is the way to go IMO. If i were in the market with your budget that is what I would buy. I auditioned those paradigms a few months ago, and I gotta say i was really impressed, They were very clear and crisp sounding. I would not worry too much about 7.1,7.2. It is perfectly fine to run a splitter off the sub output in order to run two subs.
caliberconst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:23 AM   #15  
Former Super Moderator
 
Loves2Watch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: In Flux
Posts: 20,283
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoPhil63 View Post
Another option, other than the Onkyo would be a step up to
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...H-K.Shop?tab=A
and I would pair this with the Def Techs that Caliberconst mentioned.
You never did mention what speakers your currently useing? Im supprised no one picked up on that, could be you need to step away from the Onkyo sound and save money or put more into better, quality sounding reciever. Thats not a knock on Onkyo either calm down, even Onkyo has tiering within their products.
You may need to only spend money on rear surrounds and a better reciever....I'm just saying.
Sorry, that Pioneer is NOT a step up but rather a step sideways and down when you compare features and quality. Now if it were a Pioneer Elite, that would be a different story.
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to Upgrading: Please help experts
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Very New to HDTV's... A couple questions GregM Flat-Panel TVs 12 05-21-2008 11:15 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:52 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands