High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Speakers & Surround Sound A place to learn more about speakers, their functionality and how they can complement your entertainment experience.

Query Regarding "In-wall" speaker wires

AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2009, 01:28 AM   #1  
A couch and an HDTV to go please.
Thread Starter

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 14
Default Query Regarding "In-wall" speaker wires


i was trying to hook up my HTIB (Sony BDV-E300) speakers and had a question.
I was planning to take the wires going to the 1)center 2)front-right and 3) front-left speakers "in-wall" from the console/blue-ray player cabinet to the location of the speakers above the wall mounted LCD TV.

I just realized that I will have to get one of those "in-wall" rated speaker wires?
1) If so, any recommendations? I saw a few wires on Monoprice but couldnt decide on the gauge of wire to use.

2) The HTIB-supplied speaker wire connects to my Blue ray player (Sony) via a proprietary/molded jack/adapter. So I guess I will have to get the in-wall speaker wire and use it as an extension by connecting it to the other end of the HTIB-provided wire before going into the wall. If this is a correct way, my question is, should the "in-wall" speaker wire that I purchase be of the same type (gauge) as the HTIB speaker wire?

I would appreciate any suggestions.
hdtvnewbie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:01 PM   #2  

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Georgetown, KY
Posts: 982

you can "splice" on to the existing wire, but I think I would cut it 8 to 10" from the proprietary connector. If you have a soldering iron, strip the ends of the wire, make a twist splice, solder, and wrap with electrician's tape. If you don't want to solder the splice, get some crimp "butt splices" to make a mechanical splice and wrap with tape.

The speaker wire supplied with almost all HTiB is on the very small side, often 20 to 24 gauge. For typical HTiB runs I would recommend 18 gauge for the front 3, and 18 gauge or maybe 16 gauge for the surrounds (longer runs).

You will want to get CL2/CL3 rated wire for in-wall. http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2 and you can get these very simple pass through wall plates to dress up the entry/exit from the wall http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
to make the wall cutout "finished", get an "old work" single gang box or low voltage frame to mount the wallplate on http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
m_vanmeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:44 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands