High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Speakers & Surround Sound A place to learn more about speakers, their functionality and how they can complement your entertainment experience.

auto speaker set up

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2009, 05:57 PM   #1  
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 93
Default auto speaker set up

Hello all, i have a infinity ps 210 sub, on the back of the sub there is a crossover knob that goes up to 150 and a volume knob before I run the audyssey set up what should I set the crossover and volume at on the sub, I am also using all infinity primus LRC speakers with an onkyo 506 avr. thanks
jjclecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:06 PM   #2  
Every day is Friday
 
oblioman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hooooterville
Posts: 9,279
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjclecky View Post
Hello all, i have a infinity ps 210 sub, on the back of the sub there is a crossover knob that goes up to 150 and a volume knob before I run the audyssey set up what should I set the crossover and volume at on the sub, I am also using all infinity primus LRC speakers with an onkyo 506 avr. thanks
Turn it off and let your receiver handle the crossover.
oblioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:30 PM   #3  
Former Super Moderator
 
Loves2Watch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: In Flux
Posts: 20,283
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjclecky View Post
Hello all, i have a infinity ps 210 sub, on the back of the sub there is a crossover knob that goes up to 150 and a volume knob before I run the audyssey set up what should I set the crossover and volume at on the sub, I am also using all infinity primus LRC speakers with an onkyo 506 avr. thanks

On the PS 210, set the crossover at 80 and the volume at center position. Then run Audyssey.

Hope this helps...
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:20 PM   #4  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
erict's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mich
Posts: 919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblioman View Post
Turn it off and let your receiver handle the crossover.
Not all subs have a disable switch for the crossover. So if it does not just turn you're crossover on the sub all the way up and let the receiver handle the crossover.
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:43 PM   #5  
Former Super Moderator
 
Loves2Watch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: In Flux
Posts: 20,283
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erict View Post
Not all subs have a disable switch for the crossover. So if it does not just turn you're crossover on the sub all the way up and let the receiver handle the crossover.
Incorrect info. The instructions I gave are exactly what you need to do with that particular sub.
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:47 AM   #6  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
erict's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mich
Posts: 919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves2Watch View Post
Incorrect info. The instructions I gave are exactly what you need to do with that particular sub.
I wouldn't call it incorrect info exactly I wasn't quoting you're post but was saying on most subs you don't have the option to disable the crossover. Not sure why you would set the crossover on the sub and not in the receiver. No, I am not familiar with that particular sub but as a rule of thumb you always control you're crossover in the receiver, correct?
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:04 AM   #7  
Former Super Moderator
 
Loves2Watch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: In Flux
Posts: 20,283
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erict View Post
I wouldn't call it incorrect info exactly I wasn't quoting you're post but was saying on most subs you don't have the option to disable the crossover. Not sure why you would set the crossover on the sub and not in the receiver. No, I am not familiar with that particular sub but as a rule of thumb you always control you're crossover in the receiver, correct?
Instructions/directions from both Audyssey and the sub manufacturer...
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:48 PM   #8  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
erict's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mich
Posts: 919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves2Watch View Post
Instructions/directions from both Audyssey and the sub manufacturer...
I still can't understand why one would do that when when LFE frequency is present from 120Hz and down Now I will say you are incorrect. The subs crossover should be turned all the way up not set at 80Hz.

Last edited by erict; 09-16-2009 at 01:56 PM..
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:46 PM   #9  
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 93
Default

oh no now what do I do?
jjclecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:30 PM   #10  
Member
 
BIslander's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bainbridge Island, WA
Posts: 1,628
Default

I'm not sure what Loves2Watch means with his recommendation. He says it's specific for your sub. Perhaps he will explain what he means. That advice runs counter to the usual procedure with a powered sub where bass management happens in the processor.

When you do bass management in the processor, you want the sub to play whatever you send it. That's why you should disable the crossover in the sub or set it as high as possible. Consider what happens if you set the crossover at 100Hz in the AVR and then set it at 80Hz on the sub. The frequencies between 80Hz and 100Hz get rerouted from the main speakers to the sub. The sub then throws them away. You create a hole between 80Hz and 100Hz.
BIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:49 PM   #11  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
erict's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mich
Posts: 919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post
I'm not sure what Loves2Watch means with his recommendation. He says it's specific for your sub. Perhaps he will explain what he means. That advice runs counter to the usual procedure with a powered sub where bass management happens in the processor.

When you do bass management in the processor, you want the sub to play whatever you send it. That's why you should disable the crossover in the sub or set it as high as possible. Consider what happens if you set the crossover at 100Hz in the AVR and then set it at 80Hz on the sub. The frequencies between 80Hz and 100Hz get rerouted from the main speakers to the sub. The sub then throws them away. You create a hole between 80Hz and 100Hz.
Correct. That's my point, all bass management should be done in the AVR and not the crossover on the back of the sub
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:50 PM   #12  
Former Super Moderator
 
Loves2Watch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: In Flux
Posts: 20,283
Default

Read the directions in the receiver Owners Manual. It will direct you how to do it. Ignore all the posts here including my other ones.
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:14 PM   #13  
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 93
Default

esh
jjclecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:32 PM   #14  
Every day is Friday
 
oblioman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hooooterville
Posts: 9,279
Default

This be the fun part of tweaking. me always thought it be the receivers job to do the crossover, and just let the sub handle the amp side. But if the mfg. from both the sub and tuner side suggest starting from an 80% side (closer to 60% for this sub) to adjust the cross, that would be me starting point. This what tweaking be all about, tuning to your own sound. If somebody could tweak that incessant hum out of me right ear, me would be a happy camper.
oblioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:42 PM   #15  
Member
 
BIslander's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bainbridge Island, WA
Posts: 1,628
Default

Here's what the Onkyo 506 manual says:
Quote:
If you’re using a powered subwoofer, as it outputs very
low-frequency sound and its position is usually low down,
it may not be detected by the automatic speaker setup. In
this case, increase the subwoofer’s volume, select its
highest crossover frequency, and then try running the
automatic speaker setup again. Note that if the volume is
set too high and the sound distorts, it may not be detected,
so use an appropriate volume level. If the subwoofer has
a low-pass filter switch, set it to Off or Direct. Refer to
your subwoofer’s instruction manual for details.
In other words, set the volume of the sub somewhere in the middle. Disable the crossover. (Or, set it as high as possible if you can't disable it). I think that's pretty much the advice that was offered by most posters in this thread.
BIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to auto speaker set up
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wait a Minute, Wait a Minute...Do I Have This Hooked Up Right? Peter Marlowe Blu-Ray and Ultra HD Blu-Ray Players 55 08-14-2008 11:18 PM
Receiver/Speaker suggestion PokeFan Speakers & Surround Sound 18 08-06-2008 10:54 AM
Center Speaker volume peekobi Speakers & Surround Sound 6 01-22-2008 09:20 AM
What Speaker Set? sunspot9 Speakers & Surround Sound 7 03-12-2007 08:24 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:29 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands