High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource (https://www.highdefforum.com/index.php)
-   Local HDTV Info and Reception (https://www.highdefforum.com/local-hdtv-info-reception-9/)
-   -   Cut the cord---Out of my element (https://www.highdefforum.com/local-hdtv-info-reception/152120-cut-cord-out-my-element.html)

jpcamaro70 04-12-2019 10:58 AM

Cut the cord---Out of my element
 
1 Attachment(s)
Cablecard no longer works with my tivo, so I cut the cord. I use apple tv for apps but really miss local channels. I would love to go OTA and use my tivo roamio series5 with all the apps and local channels. I am so confused about what I need. I attached the map I'm looking at, I'd like to get an attic antenna but I'd also like to get new york channels as opposed to CT channels. I am so out of my element with this OTA stuff and the more research I do, the more confused I get. Most of the channels are due North but they are CT, the west is NY so I'd like to try to get them. So my questions are:

With an attic antenna, can I get local tv? CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC
What antenna would I need?
Is there anything else between the antenna and the tivo?

I'm lost guys and need some guidance.
Oh btw, I'm partially color blind so I can't discern the colors on the chart I'm including.

rabbit73 04-12-2019 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpcamaro70 (Post 1422365)
Cablecard no longer works with my tivo, so I cut the cord.....I would love to go OTA and use my tivo roamio series5 with all the apps and local channels. I am so confused about what I need. I attached the map I'm looking at, I'd like to get an attic antenna but I'd also like to get new york channels as opposed to CT channels. I am so out of my element with this OTA stuff and the more research I do, the more confused I get. Most of the channels are due North but they are CT, the west is NY so I'd like to try to get them.

Hello, jpcamaro70. Some days I feel out of my element too, and I've been helping posters with reception problems for more than 10 years.:)

Thank you for the image of your signal report. An active link to the report would have been a little better, so that we can click on a callsign to see the terrain profile for that channel.

Receiving the NY channels will be difficult with an attic antenna, but we will try to help you make a test to see if it can work for you.

The NY channels are much weaker than the local channels, so you will need a preamp for them, but the preamp might be overloaded by the local channels. What will help is that the NY channels are in a different direction, so the local channels will be weaker because they will be coming in on the side of the NY antenna.

Not only are the NY channels weak, but they are about 55 miles away, and they are 2Edge signals that have terrain interference.

rabbit73 04-12-2019 12:19 PM

4 Attachment(s)
This is from your report image. I have added the color coded sections.

https://www.highdefforum.com/attachm...fhisreport.jpg

For comparison, here is a report from rabbitears.info that should have a more accurate list of channels. NY channels are listed as Bad at an antenna height of 10 feet; 25 feet should be better.

https://www.highdefforum.com/attachm...ortre10pg1.jpg

https://www.highdefforum.com/attachm...ortre10pg2.jpg

TV Signal Analysis FAQ
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_co...ask=view&id=57

scroll down to How to Read the Signal Analysis

https://www.highdefforum.com/attachm...analysis_1.jpg

Your NY channels are in the gray section.

jpcamaro70 04-12-2019 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabbit73 (Post 1422368)
Hello, jpcamaro70. Some days I feel out of my element too, and I've been helping posters with reception problems for more than 10 years.:)

Thank you for the image of your signal report. An active link to the report would have been a little better, so that we can click on a callsign to see the terrain profile for that channel.

Receiving the NY channels will be difficult with an attic antenna, but we will try to help you make a test to see if it can work for you.

The NY channels are much weaker than the local channels, so you will need a preamp for them, but the preamp might be overloaded by the local channels. What will help is that the NY channels are in a different direction, so the local channels will be weaker because they will be coming in on the side of the NY antenna.

Not only are the NY channels weak, but they are about 55 miles away, and they are 2Edge signals that have terrain interference.


Here is the link if this helps: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9038d265442599

The NY channels are what I refer to as my local channels. They are cbs 2, nbc 4, fox 5, abc 7. I suppose I would need to get them for local sports like NY Jets and Giants football. I doubt the CT cbs station airs the Jets games. If I put an outdoor antenna up would that work?

rabbit73 04-12-2019 02:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpcamaro70 (Post 1422373)
Here is the link if this helps: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9038d265442599

The NY channels are what I refer to as my local channels. They are cbs 2, nbc 4, fox 5, abc 7. I suppose I would need to get them for local sports like NY Jets and Giants football. I doubt the CT cbs station airs the Jets games. If I put an outdoor antenna up would that work?

Thank you for the active link to your report. When I click on WCBS-DT from NY, this is the terrain profile. The black arc at the bottom is the curvature of the earth. The transmitter is at the left and your antenna is at the right end, showing blue and purple.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ALLTV%26n%3d22

This is the NY WCBS coverage in your area:

https://www.highdefforum.com/attachm...fcovwcbscu.jpg

Please run your report again at an antenna height of 25 feet or what ever you can manage outside. I think that would make the NY channels much stronger and improve your odds.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:22 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands