High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Local HDTV Info and Reception Learn about your local HDTV stations, availability, reception issues, OTA antennas and any other local issues.

Channel Master from 1970's and 1980's

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2019, 01:03 PM   #1  
What is HD?
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2
Default Channel Master from 1970's and 1980's

I am sure the answer is yes but would an old Channel master like the one in the picture below work on HDTV? I was wondering has anyone tried?
CHANNEL MASTER QUANTUM 1162 - 1162A

OK I could not post the picture until I have 5 post. But you can google the model. I wish they still made these or wish I could find one for sale.
They were the best. I have a Channel Master 3671. It has not been used in a few years. It blew down in a storm but no damage pole bent antenna landed on front end luckly no damage. I would love to get it back up. But was wondering if I would a 1162 if that would work better. I want mainly good FM reception it has to be a directional antenna.
i386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:10 PM   #2  
It's the Antenna!
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 965
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by i386 View Post
I am sure the answer is yes but would an old Channel master like the one in the picture below work on HDTV? I
CHANNEL MASTER QUANTUM 1162 - 1162A
Hello, i386; welcome to the forum. The 1162 should work fine for HDTV, SDTV, or analog TV.



Quote:
They were the best. I have a Channel Master 3671. It has not been used in a few years. It blew down in a storm but no damage pole bent antenna landed on front end luckly no damage. I would love to get it back up. But was wondering if I would a 1162 if that would work better. I want mainly good FM reception it has to be a directional antenna.
I don't have any gain figures, but my guess would be the 3671 would work better.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CM Quantum UHF-VHF-FM_1.jpg (93.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg CM Ultra-Crossfire_1.jpg (158.6 KB, 49 views)
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:32 PM   #3  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Terryl3's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Deep in the Duraflame National Forest
Posts: 1,467
Default

If it worked OK for your old analog TV set then it will work for an HDTV.

As long as it's in good shape, the coax is good, (not good if it's 300 ohm flat line) and if needed the pre-amp at the top and it's power supply is still working, and the baulin coil at the top is still good, you should be OK.
Terryl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:35 AM   #4  
What is HD?
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2
Default

Thanks for the replies. I don't have the 1161. I just wish I could find one for sale. I had a 1161A got blown down and damaged and remember it where the coax connected opened up and could be protected from water. Those were the best so the 3671 might work better? My 3671 is the newer model got it in about 2013. The problem now is pine trees may block signal. I moved away for a few years and now moved back but it did work before I moved I think signals were about 75% and up on stations 50 plus miles guess that is pretty good. If I could get it above the trees on a tower it would be better.
i386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 03:46 PM   #5  
Sev
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by i386 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I don't have the 1161. I just wish I could find one for sale. I had a 1161A got blown down and damaged and remember it where the coax connected opened up and could be protected from water. Those were the best so the 3671 might work better? My 3671 is the newer model got it in about 2013. The problem now is pine trees may block signal. I moved away for a few years and now moved back but it did work before I moved I think signals were about 75% and up on stations 50 plus miles guess that is pretty good. If I could get it above the trees on a tower it would be better.
Depending where you are. There are still all over the place.
Just start driving around and looking for them.
The Hudson valley area of NY is rife with them. The Channel master factory used to be located in the area.

So far I have picked up 2 in TN. 1 1160A and an 1162. Saw another one recently. I need to stop in and ask if they would like it taken down.

I really want the double booms so I can convert one to a model 1110
Sev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:25 AM   #6  
OTA only way to go...
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Berryville, VA
Posts: 21
Default Recent pressed one of these into service

I found a Channel Master 1160A in Central Virginia and recently made it my primary antenna. One of the best antenna's I have ever had.

https://www.highdefforum.com/local-h...ille-va-2.html

Goes to show that there really are no HD antenna's just antenna's.

Hope your setup works out well.
chapelrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:32 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands