High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

High Definition Receivers, Recorders, Players, Tivos Discuss High Definition Receivers, Recorders, Players, Tivos, etc. Post reviews ask questions, etc.

Onkyo TX-SR606 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2008, 10:38 AM   #31  
Hyperdrive Motivator
 
smurfer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: W. Los Angeles, CA
Age: 54
Posts: 260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by psilka View Post
Amazon is not an autorized dealer ???
Does that mean warr no good ?
I think Amazon is authorized I was talking about dbuys, which is a bad move in itself. I canceled that order to get the deal at 6thave.com for 359.00 shipped 30 day return window and you get the warranty. They have it listed at 499.00 you have to call in and say your an avs member and you get the deal but you have to call it in.
smurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:45 AM   #32  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfer View Post
I think Amazon is authorized I was talking about dbuys, which is a bad move in itself. I canceled that order to get the deal at 6thave.com for 359.00 shipped 30 day return window and you get the warranty. They have it listed at 499.00 you have to call in and say your an avs member and you get the deal but you have to call it in.
I went to Onkyo site-Amazon is authorized dealer
psilka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:07 PM   #33  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
tvine2000's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: vermont
Posts: 1,275
Default

no humming issues here.
i got my 606 at accessies 4 less.this a refurbed receiver refurbed by onkyo.
as someone here pointed out maybe refurb is the way to go.
they to go through the products and check everything out opposed to the assembly line where things can get missed.i lived in a old house a couple of years ago and i had a humming issue with a pioneer receiver i had.
i sold it to a friend and asked him if he had an issue with hum.
he told me no.
maybe these humming issues are in the house current not the receiver...just a thought.
tvine2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:00 AM   #34  
lost
 
1955's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Huntington Beach
Age: 63
Posts: 612
Default

This piece of junk is falling apart after only a couple of years. This is the only thread I have found, so far, in researching this junky AV receiver. Anyone else???

Looking for a replacement, but don't have much money this time around. I sure didn't expect this thing to only last a couple of years.
1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:46 AM   #35  
I bleed for HD
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 14,206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1955 View Post
This piece of junk is falling apart after only a couple of years. This is the only thread I have found, so far, in researching this junky AV receiver. Anyone else???

Looking for a replacement, but don't have much money this time around. I sure didn't expect this thing to only last a couple of years.
What problems are you having specifically and do you have your unit in an enclosed space or in the open?
jkkyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:16 AM   #36  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
E55 KEV's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 1,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1955 View Post
This piece of junk is falling apart after only a couple of years. This is the only thread I have found, so far, in researching this junky AV receiver. Anyone else???

Looking for a replacement, but don't have much money this time around. I sure didn't expect this thing to only last a couple of years.
My 606 lasted about 1 year of usage. The power protection/overload keeps turning the unit off even with zero load of speakers. I was using 8 ohm speakers in a 5.1 setup.
E55 KEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:40 AM   #37  
I bleed for HD
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 14,206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by E55 KEV View Post
My 606 lasted about 1 year of usage. The power protection/overload keeps turning the unit off even with zero load of speakers. I was using 8 ohm speakers in a 5.1 setup.

Do you have the correct Ohms selected in your set-up. IIRC there is a setting for either 4 ohms or 60hms(which is for everything 6 or above). I know for sure it is on the 906 and seem to remember it being on the 606 as well.
jkkyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #38  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
E55 KEV's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 1,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkkyler View Post
Do you have the correct Ohms selected in your set-up. IIRC there is a setting for either 4 ohms or 60hms(which is for everything 6 or above). I know for sure it is on the 906 and seem to remember it being on the 606 as well.
Thanks. I guess I will take it out the closet hook it up and try it again. It performed well until the problem started - I would be watching a movie and all of a sudden the Power Protection mode would kick in and turn the unit off. I would follow the restart procedure but no luck. I wonder if this is one of those setting that resets when unit losses electricity due to power outage. I already replaced it with a Harman Kardon AVR7550HD.

Found these instructions in the page 42 of 606 manual:

Use the Up and Down [ ]/[ ]
buttons to select “Speaker
Impedance,” and use the Left and
Right [ ]/[ ] buttons to select:

4 ohms:
Select if the impedance of any
speaker is 4 ohms or more but
less than 6.

6 ohms:
Select if the impedances of all
speakers are between 6 and
16 ohms.
E55 KEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:03 AM   #39  
lost
 
1955's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Huntington Beach
Age: 63
Posts: 612
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkkyler View Post
What problems are you having specifically and do you have your unit in an enclosed space or in the open?
It's a few things now...it takes forever to start up. It will not handshake (?) with my Blu-ray player at all anymore and is now having the same issue with the Xbox. The center channel speaker in my 7.1 set up cuts in and out. The receiver is only a couple of years old and is in open cabinet with plenty of room all around. I should NOT have to buy a new AVR every couple of years!!! And from everything I've read, it's not even worth dealing with Onkyo.

I didn't buy a system to eff around with, I bought it to watch and listen to.
1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:20 AM   #40  
Official HDF BD Reviewer
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mississippi, U.S.A. Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert
Posts: 9,657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1955 View Post
It's a few things now...it takes forever to start up. It will not handshake (?) with my Blu-ray player at all anymore and is now having the same issue with the Xbox. The center channel speaker in my 7.1 set up cuts in and out. The receiver is only a couple of years old and is in open cabinet with plenty of room all around. I should NOT have to buy a new AVR every couple of years!!! And from everything I've read, it's not even worth dealing with Onkyo.

I didn't buy a system to eff around with, I bought it to watch and listen to.
Same problem with mine. Onkyo should be fined for going with those faulty HDMI boards from that cheap Chinese manufacturer. I got mine in December of 2008 and it worked flawlessly until about 3-4 months ago. It'll work fine with the satellite feed, but if I want to use one of my other devices it may take 4-6 hours before it picks it up. I only had the standard 1 year warranty so I'll be picking up a 709 with my tax return. The 700s and above have performed like tanks over the years so that reassures me.
HD Goofnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:54 AM   #41  
I bleed for HD
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 14,206
Default

Yea - mine is going through the same hours to start up and sometimes goes out after a bit on certain channels. For some strange reason (actually because a faulty piece of equipment burnt out my old receiver) I paid $79 to extend my warranty to 5yrs as the thing was nearly $500 when first released and I eeded a receiver right away as my old was fried. Turns out to be one of the smartest HT moves I made - before we figured out that my old projector had fried my previous receiver 3 hdmi boards were burnt up. Right now it is in my car and I am driving to the Onkyo Service center this evening to drop it off. Apparently what happens is that the excessive heat generated dries out the 'transistor' (terminology) caps and they fail or work intermittently. This problem only became known after extensive - months/years exposure to continued heat/temps and eluded QC initially. They should have manned up and had a recall or aftermarket cooling fix remedy. As stated the 700 series and above have been quite bulletproof. I rue the day I will have to replace my 905 as Cost is a big issue for me these days.
jkkyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to Onkyo TX-SR606 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Home Theater in a Box recs $400-$600 katmu Speakers & Surround Sound 9 06-19-2009 05:37 PM
Onkyo TX-SR606 vs Sony 7.1 STR-DG820 sopranocaponyc High Definition Receivers, Recorders, Players, Tivos 21 02-20-2009 12:44 AM
connecting a blue-ray player to a receiver with analog cables mevanisko Blu-Ray and Ultra HD Blu-Ray Players 19 10-29-2008 09:37 PM
Need inexpensive Home Theater System with HDMI inputs ReuvenNY High Definition Receivers, Recorders, Players, Tivos 23 10-09-2008 12:39 PM
New Onkyo TX-SR606 ...... GREGinNH High Definition Receivers, Recorders, Players, Tivos 25 06-08-2008 04:04 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:04 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands