High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

High Definition Receivers, Recorders, Players, Tivos Discuss High Definition Receivers, Recorders, Players, Tivos, etc. Post reviews ask questions, etc.

Why I'm Glad Toshiba Lost the Format War

Closed Thread
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2008, 02:04 PM   #31  
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 
Loran1's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Southern California
Age: 82
Posts: 402
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntfyd View Post
I hear you on the sub issue and them selling crap to the Ruskies( I heard it was pattented submarine blade designs but then what do I know) but our government or should I say some employee's of the government and national citizens do this on a yearly basis. They would sell out anyone for a big buck!
This happened over 20 years ago and the appropriate people hopefully paid the price. GO NAVY
Youíre right. It all had to do with a silent blade design where normal cavitation sounds could not be heard. Our own submarines, that had this technology, were almost undetectable from aircraft above. We used to do war exercises with our own subs where we knew where they were within a 10-mile radius and our job was to pinpoint their location. As for my particular P-3 squadron, we never found a U.S. sub. The thought that the soviets now could do the same thing was a major concern to the whole U.S. Navy at the time.

As for government employees selling out, I would hope that anyone who had access to these secrets carried a top secret clearance and would have been checked out thoroughly beforehand. Not to go over it again, but I wouldnít trust Toshiba with my dogís license-tag number.

At any rate, thanks for your support for the Navy.
Loran1 is offline  
Old 02-22-2008, 07:57 AM   #32  
Progress Not Perfection
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,715
Default Good Advice

Let's not forget . . .

The Title on syntfyd's post was: "Get Over It!"

And he appropriately noted that "This happened over 20 years ago and the appropriate people hopefully paid the price."

I guess there will always be some people who just don't get it . . . and can't get over it!

Revenge is a bitter pill.
Scottnot is offline  
Old 02-22-2008, 12:02 PM   #33  
hd junkie
 
RedSIinPA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Outside Phila.
Age: 41
Posts: 899
Default

Go Navy baby.

OP - i'd mentioned Toshiba-Kongsberg before in a thread. I'd remembered reading about it in Red Storm Rising and the impact on the Victor III class of subs. I've always been interested in this topic.

I think most rational people around here would read your orig. post and not feel like you pissed in their cheerios. There are people here who are still really passionate about HD DVD, and they're still pretty upset. Things will die down. Perhaps your timing wasn't exquisite. Big deal.

Thanks for your service and go Navy. My dad retired E7, '67-'87; air traffic controller. I grew up on bases that flew a LOT of P3's. VP-66 and VP-64 (Condors and Liberty Bell), NAS Willow Grove. Long since decommissioned.

Take care.
RedSIinPA is offline  
Old 02-22-2008, 12:05 PM   #34  
hd junkie
 
RedSIinPA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Outside Phila.
Age: 41
Posts: 899
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottnot View Post
Let's not forget . . .

The Title on syntfyd's post was: "Get Over It!"

And he appropriately noted that "This happened over 20 years ago and the appropriate people hopefully paid the price."

I guess there will always be some people who just don't get it . . . and can't get over it!

Revenge is a bitter pill.
c'mon folks...let's back down and breathe a little.
RedSIinPA is offline  
Old 02-22-2008, 12:18 PM   #35  
Progress Not Perfection
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,715
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSIinPA View Post
c'mon folks...let's back down and breathe a little.
couldn't agree more . . .

however, I too am entitled to my opinion . . .

which is that the OP was extremely inappropriate and in the poorest of taste.
Scottnot is offline  
Old 02-22-2008, 12:43 PM   #36  
hd junkie
 
RedSIinPA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Outside Phila.
Age: 41
Posts: 899
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottnot View Post
which is that the OP was extremely inappropriate and in the poorest of taste.
well, I disagree. i don't think he's a small-minded bigot. my grandfather boycotted Japansese cars until the 90's. His last car before he died was a Camry - he couldn't overlook anymore the quality differences. He served in the Army Air Corps. Lost a lot of friends to the Japanese. And he was no small minded bigot. He was a great guy. My mother is from the Philippines. What the Japanese did to my ancestors while inhabiting my mother's homeland was atrocious. But I've only owned one American car. All the others have been Japanese. That's for practical reasons and I don't think I'm any better than someone who does have a grudge, or whatever we want to call it. I think the OP has a grudge. And y'know what, that's fine. People are entitled to do what they want and entitled to not get over something if that's what they want. I don't think the OP is losing sleep over his not-so-called grudge. And I really don't think he posted it, at 71 years old, to troll. I think, in fact I know, that he didn't. He was just conveying his stance.

I own Toshiba - I'll buy Toshiba again. I was the one who originally said, in a thread touting Sony's "evilness", that Toshiba doesn't have some long streak of angelic deeds in the corporate world. They screwed up. The situation the OP was talking about was the one I cited, basically making my point that all corps are basically as "evil" as the next. OP made a decision to not buy, is happy with himself. I really can't blame him. Those guys that flew for hours upon hours, dropping sonobuoys, trying to determine where the russian submarines were - that's dangerous stuff. That was a huge part of the cold war cat and mouse. I know a lot about it for someone who didn't serve. It's indeed dangerous flying a couple hundred feet off the water in the dark. And yep, their job was made exponentially harded when those subs were later equipped with propellers making them almost impossible to hear. So he's got a bone to pick. Good for him. I failed to see any level of inappropriateness in his post. You did. That's fine too. I just didn't want to see the thread spiral into a name-calling shouting match. There's already too much of that going on around here. We're better than that.

peace to all...seriously. we can debate and not slit each other's throats. ...have a nice Friday
RedSIinPA is offline  
Old 02-22-2008, 01:26 PM   #37  
Telling it how it is!
 
HighDefRealist's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
In my opinion such emotional mean spirited comments form the pro Toshiba HD DVD supporters here are common. It seems I see that sort of response often. There was never any logical basis for believing that HD DVD would prevail in the format war in my opinion so the response to my opinions read like that one you just received.

Mean and meaningless is the best I can offer to describe that statement. Who knows what the source of that comment is, but it wasn't a legitimate response to your post. I should also add it is just more evidence of more whining from a sore loser.

Chris
Another excellent post Chris
HighDefRealist is offline  
Old 02-22-2008, 01:27 PM   #38  
Telling it how it is!
 
HighDefRealist's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unotis View Post
I wish you would stop with this paranoid vision of yourself or other Blu-Ray supporters being persecuted.
Paranoid vision? Open your eyes unotis, that is exactly what's happening!
HighDefRealist is offline  
Old 02-22-2008, 01:28 PM   #39  
Telling it how it is!
 
HighDefRealist's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOP View Post
Thank You For YOUR service !
+1.
HighDefRealist is offline  
Old 02-22-2008, 02:26 PM   #40  
My Projector is High Def.
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marlborough, MA
Age: 45
Posts: 7,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDefRealist View Post
Paranoid vision? Open your eyes unotis, that is exactly what's happening!
My eyes are open? Where is this persecution?

And 3 posts in a row, all with an incredible amount of info to contribute! You really are a great contributor to this forum!
mshulman is offline  
Old 02-22-2008, 03:10 PM   #41  
UNOTIS
 
unotis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: FLORIDA
Age: 64
Posts: 4,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshulman View Post
My eyes are open? Where is this persecution?

And 3 posts in a row, all with an incredible amount of info to contribute! You really are a great contributor to this forum!

I'm glad you quoted him, I have him on ignore.

What is he referring to?

My claim to Chris that he should stop causing trouble because he felt he had been persecuted previously because of his Blu-Ray support?

My contention was because he was picked on was not his Blu-Ray support but more because of his passive aggressive way of debating and abandoning the debate in a thread when he felt he was losing.

That frankly just pissed some members off and his ability to forget why they were upset with him because of it and then he would try to have them provide links to prove it when they all knew if they did do that he would never acknowledge the proof anyway.

Besides HighDefRealist isn't persecuted because he is a Blu-Ray supporter, most members know he is just here to cause trouble.

Last edited by unotis; 02-22-2008 at 03:15 PM..
unotis is offline  
Old 02-22-2008, 05:27 PM   #42  
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 
Loran1's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Southern California
Age: 82
Posts: 402
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSIinPA View Post
Go Navy baby.

OP - i'd mentioned Toshiba-Kongsberg before in a thread. I'd remembered reading about it in Red Storm Rising and the impact on the Victor III class of subs. I've always been interested in this topic.

I think most rational people around here would read your orig. post and not feel like you pissed in their cheerios. There are people here who are still really passionate about HD DVD, and they're still pretty upset. Things will die down. Perhaps your timing wasn't exquisite. Big deal.

Thanks for your service and go Navy. My dad retired E7, '67-'87; air traffic controller. I grew up on bases that flew a LOT of P3's. VP-66 and VP-64 (Condors and Liberty Bell), NAS Willow Grove. Long since decommissioned.

Take care.
Thanks for your assessment in the post below. You certainly understand where I was coming from. Itís unfortunate that some took my original comments as simply dumping on HD DVD owners, and Iím sorry for that. Perhaps I should have posted my comments at a later time.

BTW, I was in VP-65 also now decommissioned, out of NAS Point Mugu, California. We originally flew P-2ís and thankfully transitioned to P-3ís in the seventies. My avatar speaks for my rank upon retirement.

Now I have to say that the one poster who seems so angry and bent on personal insults appears to be a classic troll. With all such posters, I believe it is best to just ignore him and maybe heíll move on trying to pick a fight elsewhere.

Last edited by Loran1; 02-22-2008 at 05:30 PM..
Loran1 is offline  
Old 02-22-2008, 07:15 PM   #43  
A couch and an HDTV to go please.
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottnot View Post
Hence the opening title - "Why I'm Glad Toshiba Lost the Format War".
I can't imagine that you could have thought your thread would not be inflammatory to some, if not many.


My shoes? What shoes? You are making some wild assumptions aren't you?
If you are making an assumption that I have ever owned a HD DVD - you're wrong.
If you are making an assumption that I ever supported HD DVD - wrong again.


huh?? really, no need to feel sorry for me.
Actually, I think I have a pretty good grasp of objectivity in particular. And, who's been dishonest??


Older than me? Really? How can you be so sure.
So, what's the deal, whoever is oldest is somehow entitled to "a bit more respect" from the other.
Is there some way that we prorate the amount of respect? I mean is it based on actual years, or percentage of age difference, or what? Please explain.

Looks to me like you have made a lot of assumptions about me, using the same sort of flawed logic that you made about Toshiba 20 years ago.
I was raised to respect your elders, so if he is one day older than you, show some respect even if for nothing else. The younger generation of today (just as we were in the previous ones) think they know it all. But of course, they don't. As we didn't back when we were young. The difference between now and then is it gets progressively worse due to lack of responsibility in parenting. Either way, he probably is older than you (I am assuming, yes) but assuming based on your comments that you are quite a bit younger than him. It's easy to spot... when you hit....say.... 15yrs old (being sarcastic) you will realize this.
OP, thanks for your service and I 100% support your stance, even though I wish HD DVD would have lasted on the scene as it only helps consumers. Sony can't wait to stick it to us now, (I'm sure THEY are holding a GRUDGE) from the betamax fiasco.

Last edited by bigcowboysfan; 02-22-2008 at 07:20 PM..
bigcowboysfan is offline  
Old 02-22-2008, 07:46 PM   #44  
Progress Not Perfection
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,715
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcowboysfan View Post
. . . so if he is one day older than you, show some respect even if for nothing else.
What a bunch of crap! I certainly hope you don't believe that.
If so, then you probably have no business talking to me as you have.
Let's not take this to the point of absolute lunacy.

Quote:
Either way, he probably is older than you (I am assuming, yes) but assuming based on your comments that you are quite a bit younger than him. It's easy to spot... when you hit....say.... 15yrs old (being sarcastic) you will realize this.
Interesting assumption . . . perhaps based on your youthful impetuousness.
Certainly not on any rational or logical basis. But, ah, as you say, the youth of today . . . what shall we do with them.
As you should see, you are guilty of exacty what you are accusing me of doing . . . if I am even one day older than you, then you should show me some respect, "even if for nothing else".

Glad you supporting the old salt and not me.
Scottnot is offline  
Old 02-22-2008, 09:46 PM   #45  
A couch and an HDTV to go please.
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottnot View Post
What a bunch of crap! I certainly hope you don't believe that.
If so, then you probably have no business talking to me as you have.
Let's not take this to the point of absolute lunacy.


Interesting assumption . . . perhaps based on your youthful impetuousness.
Certainly not on any rational or logical basis. But, ah, as you say, the youth of today . . . what shall we do with them.
As you should see, you are guilty of exacty what you are accusing me of doing . . . if I am even one day older than you, then you should show me some respect, "even if for nothing else".

Glad you supporting the old salt and not me.

I do believe exactly that! If more did, the world would be a much better place. You would be hard pressed to find someone to disagree with that.

Once again, your defensive comments about a valid point lead me to believe you are younger than the OP or even myself.
It takes a "grown up" adult to admit valid points even when someone else makes them. Something you won't be able to comprehend until you are older....

I think it's very rational viewing life experiences 25-30 years later from a different perspective than when I was a teenager in forming my opinions. Things my parents taught me back then all seemed to end up being true, (later in life) no matter how much I may have thought they were not while growing up.

In spite of it all, I have not spoken to you disrespectfully at all. Even though I did assume you are younger based on your comments, I did not attack you (although I jabbed a little with the joke) or talk down to you. If you read my posts, it reads more as friendly advice, which is the way it is meant. This is probably one of the greatest lessons that age teaches you, the "how" of expressing your point on top of the reasons themselves. That would be under the category "with age comes wisdom"...
I never "got it" until I got OLD.....
bigcowboysfan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to Why I'm Glad Toshiba Lost the Format War
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blu-ray is doomed according to Don Reisinger MG537 High Definition Media 80 03-11-2008 12:12 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:18 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands