High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

High Definition Receivers, Recorders, Players, Tivos Discuss High Definition Receivers, Recorders, Players, Tivos, etc. Post reviews ask questions, etc.

Onkyo 605 problems + HD-A2

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2007, 10:21 PM   #16  
pjc
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNCR View Post
Have you updated your player to the latest software?

Firmware Update Version: 2.7

Applicable Models: HD-XA2, HD-A20, HD-A2, HD-A2W, and HD-D2.

Overview: As part of our commitment to provide world-class service to our customers, Toshiba is supplying this firmware update for use by purchasers of Toshiba HD DVD Player models listed above. This firmware update improves support for 1080p/24Hz OUTPUT, improves network connectivity supporting the download of web-enabled network content associated with certain HD DVD discs, and also addresses certain disc playback and HDMI/DVI related issues identified by Toshiba. In addition, this firmware update provides High Bit Rate Audio functionality for the HD-XA2 player. When integrated through the HDMI connection to a 7.1 capable multi-channel A/V receiver, High Bit Rate Audio has the potential to offer the latest in high definition surround sound.


http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/tacpasse...d2firmware.asp
ya know, I don't think I did that, but I thought the update didn't do much for the A2. I will update tomorrow though and check it out. Too late for me to get involved in that now.
pjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:23 AM   #17  
HD DVD... to go please!!!
 
Mikekoz13's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Pa.
Age: 59
Posts: 194
Default

I would also be interested in how you have your subwoofer hooked up and what kind of speakers you have. My Polk subwoofer had specific hook-up instructions with it. I would check to see if you have the same situation. Even though my receiver has a sub-out connection, connecting it in this way just didn't work. So I looked in the speaker manual and used the alternate connection scheme and now the sub-woofer will run you out of the room.


Mike
Mikekoz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:25 AM   #18  
pjc
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikekoz13 View Post
I would also be interested in how you have your subwoofer hooked up and what kind of speakers you have. My Polk subwoofer had specific hook-up instructions with it. I would check to see if you have the same situation. Even though my receiver has a sub-out connection, connecting it in this way just didn't work. So I looked in the speaker manual and used the alternate connection scheme and now the sub-woofer will run you out of the room.


Mike
My subwoofer is a lower-end Yamaha that's about 6 years old. I run it to the reciever through what I guess is a coax cable (plugs in the same as a coax, though on the package it was called something like "high quality subwoofer cable"). It is plugged in to the proper port on the 605 (the subwoofer connection that is by itself, not the other one.....sorry for that lame description).

EDIT: This is my subwoofer:

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/p...9&CTID=5003300

This one has some great pics of the buttons, etc.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-Subwoofer...QQcmdZViewItem


http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speak...6_2741crx.aspx

END EDIT

One thing I didn't mention that I remembered last night.....when I was doing the Audyssey setup yesterday afternoon, the subwoofer was in standby mode. When it got to the point of testing the SW, the SW kicked itself off of standby mode, but no tone came out of the SW. When the 1st step of the Audyssey finished it said I didn't have a SW. I then re-ran it (SW now out of standby) and it produced sound from the SW.

I have solved the problem with DD and DTS if I don't let the SW go to standby mode and always leave it on, but I am still not getting anything from the SW in DD+ or TrueHD. Can anyone recommend a scene from either Batman Begins or Transformers HDDVD that should kick off the sub?

I don't know if I can hook the subwoofer up differently? It does have 4 connectors on the back that are like what you connect the other speakers to the 605 (i.e. you can use banana plugs or unscrew the cap, put the wire in and screw the cap back on). Sorry I can't be more specific.

Last edited by pjc; 12-12-2007 at 07:37 AM..
pjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:42 AM   #19  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 144
Default

Deleted.
Alsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:07 AM   #20  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
mystic7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,431
Default

I think you only use those regular speaker connections if you have a sub connected to your rear surround speakers. You would connect the wires from the receiver to your sub, then to the rears, so that's not a solution. Maybe your sub just went bad. The sensor that senses a signal might have died so it doesn't see a signal to turn on the sub.

As for TrueHD and DD+ it might be that you have the receiver on multichannel instead of Direct? There's another thread here about the right settings to get TrueHD and the other new sound formats. Just do a search for TX-605.
mystic7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:19 AM   #21  
pjc
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic7 View Post
I think you only use those regular speaker connections if you have a sub connected to your rear surround speakers. You would connect the wires from the receiver to your sub, then to the rears, so that's not a solution. Maybe your sub just went bad. The sensor that senses a signal might have died so it doesn't see a signal to turn on the sub.

As for TrueHD and DD+ it might be that you have the receiver on multichannel instead of Direct? There's another thread here about the right settings to get TrueHD and the other new sound formats. Just do a search for TX-605.
Cool, I will check. Thanks.

As per a poster on AVS, I am also going to set the "Double Bass" function. Basically if you have front and center channels as "Full Band" (which Audyssey set mine to). Basically, this is supposed to "boost bass output by feeding bass sounds from the Front L/R channels to the subwoofer". I have noticed my Front L/R's seem to be producing more bass.

Last edited by pjc; 12-12-2007 at 10:26 AM..
pjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:24 AM   #22  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
mystic7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,431
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjc View Post
Cool, I will check. Thanks.
Here it is. It's a few posts down.
http://www.highdefforum.com/showthread.php?t=58038

Here's the text of the post:

To playback HBR (Dolby TrueHD, DD+, DTS-HD XX, etc.) over HDMI 1.3, set "Digital Out HDMI" to "auto", set "Direct Digital Audio" to "on."

also in the movie 300 you will have to go into the settings in the movie and select english with dolby true hd


also i think ther is a firmware update for the 605 might wanna look into that as well
mystic7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:36 AM   #23  
pjc
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic7 View Post
Here it is. It's a few posts down.
http://www.highdefforum.com/showthread.php?t=58038

Here's the text of the post:

To playback HBR (Dolby TrueHD, DD+, DTS-HD XX, etc.) over HDMI 1.3, set "Digital Out HDMI" to "auto", set "Direct Digital Audio" to "on."

also in the movie 300 you will have to go into the settings in the movie and select english with dolby true hd


also i think ther is a firmware update for the 605 might wanna look into that as well
SWEET, I was just searching for that thread.....I checked the website and entered my seriel# and it said that mine did not need an update.

I don't remember a seeing a Direct Digital Audio option. I will have to check tonight. I wonder if that's only on the A35.
pjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:07 AM   #24  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
BNCR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 642
Default

No discrete analog output on the A2.
BNCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:28 PM   #25  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
BNCR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 642
Default

Don't use the "Speaker Level" Sub connections as you will lose your discrete sub channel.

Update the player firmware and you may solve the problems.
Cheers
BNCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:24 PM   #26  
pjc
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNCR View Post
Don't use the "Speaker Level" Sub connections as you will lose your discrete sub channel.

Update the player firmware and you may solve the problems.
Cheers
Not sure what you mean with "Speaker Level". My 605 doesn't need updating according to Onkyo. I am trying to update my A2 to 2.7 now. If that doesn't work, I've just about given up on this reciever. Someone had suggested setting the "Double Bass" feature. I check that, but had already set it up. I then ran the setup where it sends a signal to each speaker (snow). The SW was kinda low at -3db, so I increased it to +3db and could hear the tone. Put in Batman Begins and the SW worked great. My thinking was maybe the SW levels were too low. I stopped the movie and switched the SW back to standby mode to see if the increased levels would kick it off and the SW has not kicked on since. Not even for test tones. Now it doesn't work on DTS DD, nothing. Nothing on Multichannel, nothing on Direct, zip, zilch nada.

Without the SW, it sounds like a piece of shit in my opinion. To top that off, my A2 update is frozen. I got to the "OK"/"Cancel" screen hit OK and nothing happend. It says VER UP on the display and has been like that for 20 mins. I even hit the power button on the machine and it won't shut off. Unreal. This has ben a pretty shitty HD week for me . I really don't want to go back to my Denon, but I may have to.
pjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:40 PM   #27  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
BNCR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 642
Default

Did you try the update via ethernet or burning the .iso CD?

Use these instructions exactly to upgrade the firmware and it will work.

http://www.highdefforum.com/showthread.php?t=56607

I even used te burner listed to make my CD. Everything worked the first try. Sorry yours isn't going to smooth.

Read post #45 if you are locked up.

My buddy just went through the same Onkyo / Toshiba thing and the Firmware on his Toshiba was the culprit.
BNCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:45 PM   #28  
pjc
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNCR View Post
Did you try the update via ethernet or burning the .iso CD?

Use these instructions exactly to upgrade the firmware and it will work.

http://www.highdefforum.com/showthread.php?t=56607

I even used te burner listed to make my CD. Everything worked the first try. Sorry yours isn't going to smooth.

Read post #45 if you are locked up.

My buddy just went through the same Onkyo / Toshiba thing and the Firmware on his Toshiba was the culprit.
It was stuck on the "Prev", "OK", "Cancel"....I was so frustrated from the 605 that I pulled the plug (I have a 2 yr warranty). I re-booted up and went back through the process. It is updating now.
pjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:54 PM   #29  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
BNCR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 642
Default

It takes a while to complete the update and reinitialize an reset all your player settings, but it is worth it when it all works.

I'm going to watch "Omega Man".

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BNCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:28 PM   #30  
pjc
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNCR View Post
It takes a while to complete the update and reinitialize an reset all your player settings, but it is worth it when it all works.

I'm going to watch "Omega Man".

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks. It finally update. I played Batman Begins, but still no SW. I wish I knew if it was the SW or the 605 causing the problem.
pjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to Onkyo 605 problems + HD-A2
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toshiba A35 and Onkyo 605 TrueHD - Help etbeaty HD DVD Players and Discs 75 07-26-2008 10:20 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:05 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands