High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

High Definition Receivers, Recorders, Players, Tivos Discuss High Definition Receivers, Recorders, Players, Tivos, etc. Post reviews ask questions, etc.

Like Tree3Likes

Onkyo TX-SR606 HDMI Switching headache

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2010, 12:43 AM   #16  
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4
Default "cutting out every few seconds" ?

"cutting out every few seconds" . Were these audio, video or both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumann View Post
Your problem is not handshake. It's the HDMI ports on the Onkyo. I purchased an Onkyo TX-SR707 in Nov 2009. My Sat box was cutting out every few seconds. I communicated with Onkyo support who told me to reset the unit every time i contacted them. This btw didn't work.
I then tried every HDMI port on the unit and actually found one that works flawlessly - the DVD/BD (HDMI 1). I had to then go through the same process with our PS3 and it finally worked on the CBL/SAT (HDMI 3) input. Also, i bumped the Sat box down to 480p and it worked fine on all ports. HMMMM. Onkyo now tells me i have to bring it in for repair. They won't replace it and since they didn't even attempt to "troubleshoot" the problem, i missed the 30 day exchange window.
i have not yet had the unit repaired but have read several posts about HDMI daughter board failures.
ajvigants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:01 AM   #17  
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3
Default

Both cut out
stumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:30 AM   #18  
"Shitter was Full"
 
Bigloww's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: In a van, down by the river.
Posts: 8,321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumann View Post
Your problem is not handshake. It's the HDMI ports on the Onkyo. I purchased an Onkyo TX-SR707 in Nov 2009. My Sat box was cutting out every few seconds. I communicated with Onkyo support who told me to reset the unit every time i contacted them. This btw didn't work.
I then tried every HDMI port on the unit and actually found one that works flawlessly - the DVD/BD (HDMI 1). I had to then go through the same process with our PS3 and it finally worked on the CBL/SAT (HDMI 3) input. Also, i bumped the Sat box down to 480p and it worked fine on all ports. HMMMM. Onkyo now tells me i have to bring it in for repair. They won't replace it and since they didn't even attempt to "troubleshoot" the problem, i missed the 30 day exchange window.
i have not yet had the unit repaired but have read several posts about HDMI daughter board failures.
To my knowledge, the HDMI Daughter Board issue only affects the x06 Onkyo receivers and only a certain manufacturing timeframe of those models. It does not affect the newer x07 models. I may be wrong on that, but that is what I understood. Do you have any issues if you use 480p or video pass-through? Using the Onkyo (or many other receivers) to convert/up convert your HD sources is not really needed in most cases. Your devices and TV will do just as good without all that extra conversion stuff going on that can cause issues (especially with cable/sat boxes). I can't tell any difference in most cases with my 606 and plasma, so just use pass-through. But best to have it checked out while still under warranty if you think there is an issue.
Bigloww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:57 AM   #19  
Official HDF BD Reviewer
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mississippi, U.S.A. Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert
Posts: 9,657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigloww View Post
To my knowledge, the HDMI Daughter Board issue only affects the x06 Onkyo receivers and only a certain manufacturing timeframe of those models. It does not affect the newer x07 models. I may be wrong on that, but that is what I understood. Do you have any issues if you use 480p or video pass-through? Using the Onkyo (or many other receivers) to convert/up convert your HD sources is not really needed in most cases. Your devices and TV will do just as good without all that extra conversion stuff going on that can cause issues (especially with cable/sat boxes). I can't tell any difference in most cases with my 606 and plasma, so just use pass-through. But best to have it checked out while still under warranty if you think there is an issue.
Same here Big. I don't even fool with that 1080i upconversion on my 606. I just let my A20 upconvert my DVDs and of course most HD programming is already 1080i.
HD Goofnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:15 AM   #20  
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3
Default

All ports seem to work fine with 480p. I found that out when i went down the component video path. The pass through setting is the one enabled. I tried, at first, to jack around with that setting, but returned back to pass through. Only one of the rear HDMI (HDMI 1) ports is able to handle my Sat box at full res (and it's not the one labeled CBL/SAT), and only one other HDMI port was able to handle my PS3 (the CBL/SAT HDMI (HDMI 3) input. Neither the Sat or PS3 work on any of the other rear HDMI ports. I haven't tested the front panel HDMI.
stumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:35 AM   #21  
Official HDF BD Reviewer
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mississippi, U.S.A. Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert
Posts: 9,657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumann View Post
All ports seem to work fine with 480p. I found that out when i went down the component video path. The pass through setting is the one enabled. I tried, at first, to jack around with that setting, but returned back to pass through. Only one of the rear HDMI (HDMI 1) ports is able to handle my Sat box at full res (and it's not the one labeled CBL/SAT), and only one other HDMI port was able to handle my PS3 (the CBL/SAT HDMI (HDMI 3) input. Neither the Sat or PS3 work on any of the other rear HDMI ports. I haven't tested the front panel HDMI.
Yeah, something is definitely wrong with at least some of your HDMI inputs. I have my HD DVR in the CAB/SAT input, the PS3 in the GAME/TV input, the BH200 in the DVD input, and the A20 in the VCR/DVR input. Other than a rare audio dropout from the LG BH200 (firmware related) I don't have a problem with any of these devices and my 606.
HD Goofnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:46 AM   #22  
I'm Fabulous.
 
awol's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrenfro View Post
I am having the same problem with my 606. I talked to my local repair center and was told he has 5 recivers in for the same issue. They told me that the HDMI switching board needs to be replaced and can't be repaired. Heres the Bi*%# the part is on backorder and Onkyo is telling the repair shop they will not be available until April. The shop has to keep the unit until the part comes in as to be assured they have the unit to fix. They also told me that the new board is a $400.00 part. Thank goodness mine is still under warranty. To be without my reciever for 3 months is ridiculous
Quote:
Originally Posted by awol View Post
I really, really, really hope your repair shop was wrong. Going without surround sound has just plain sucked for the last month. I can't imagine an additional two months. Well, yes, I can, and they will suck too if this is the case.
UPDATE: I called the repair center yesterday and the part is officially on backorder. He told me they are slowly trickling in. He also told me that as the only repair center in Texas that works on Onkyo, he is surprised Onkyo has not issued a full on recall for the range of serial numbers they know are being affected. He confirmed that it was a bad batch of product from all lines of the x06 series. It is not limited to the 606. Their shop is getting 5-10 units a week and currently has over 50 units to repair due to the backlog of the required part.

Right now, he expects my unit to repaired within the next two weeks. That will have been almost 2.5 months from drop off to pick up. Assuming he is correct on the timing.
awol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:01 AM   #23  
Former Super Moderator
 
Loves2Watch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: In Flux
Posts: 20,283
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol View Post
UPDATE: I called the repair center yesterday and the part is officially on backorder. He told me they are slowly trickling in. He also told me that as the only repair center in Texas that works on Onkyo, he is surprised Onkyo has not issued a full on recall for the range of serial numbers they know are being affected. He confirmed that it was a bad batch of product from all lines of the x06 series. It is not limited to the 606. Their shop is getting 5-10 units a week and currently has over 50 units to repair due to the backlog of the required part.

Right now, he expects my unit to repaired within the next two weeks. That will have been almost 2.5 months from drop off to pick up. Assuming he is correct on the timing.
Man, that really sucks...
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:14 PM   #24  
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2
Default

I started having this same problem with my 606 last September. I brought it to my local certified Onkyo repair facility at the beginning of October and got it back a month later. Everything was working well until a few weeks ago.

I'm now about to bring it in for repair for the second time, as the handshaking problem gets worse every day. Contacting Onkyo has been no help, as all they keep telling me is that they won't consider an exchange or replacement until I have attempted to fix it three times. Of course with my luck and at this rate my warranty will expire by the time I drop it off a third time, and then they'll probably tell me to buzz off.

Needless to say I'll be warning people about Onkyo electronics from now on. I don't see how a receiver can have so many problems just passing a signal through.

Anyway, just figured I'd join the ranks of the pissed off here at HDF. I'll try to post an update if I get my 606 working again.
Macks1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:59 PM   #25  
My plasma is High Def.
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol View Post
My 606 is currently at the local repair shop due to what I thought was HDMI handshake problems. The AVR worked fine for over a year, then slowly started showing problems when switching between HDMI inputs on the AVR. It seemed like the AVR itself had to "warm up" before I could switch from whatever the last input was to another one. Eventually, it wouldn't switch inputs at all. So when that happened, I called Onkyo and they said take it for repair.

Unfortunately, there was apparently a bad batch of 606's that were released. The problem is with the HDMI daughterboard in the AVR. Mine was not the only one at the repair shop either. There were two others with the same problem on the counter when I dropped mine off.
THANK GOD! EXACT same symptoms I'm having with my 606. Bought from newegg Dec 08. Turn on via HDMI/tv kicks on/receiver. Defaults to GAME/TV setting, and my xbox sits there on, and either it'll say no signal, or "mode not supported", but then I can at least hear audio. One the unit has been on for a decent amount of time, the handshake or whatever the issue is goes away.

Just tried swapping HDMI cables, didn't do squat. Seems to be only with the Game/TV HDMI. My DVD/blu ray always hands off fine. Same with the DVR.

I'm calling my local service facility tomorrow morning.

I'm just happy this is a known issue. I tried searching a few months back and came up with nothing. The issue has getting A LOT worse over the last month.

My unit serial is 0809DDJ8760XXXXXX A
Nico_bellic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:29 AM   #26  
I'm Fabulous.
 
awol's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico_bellic View Post
I'm just happy this is a known issue. I tried searching a few months back and came up with nothing. The issue has getting A LOT worse over the last month.
Yeah, you're not alone. I need to call today actually to see what the status of my repair is. I'm REALLY missing my surround sound!
awol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:50 AM   #27  
My plasma is High Def.
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 9
Default

My repair facility showed me the latest update fix from Onkyo, as of January 2010:

Replacing the HDMI board
Checking/adding capacitors to the NEW board.
updating firmware.
Nico_bellic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:34 PM   #28  
I'm Fabulous.
 
awol's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico_bellic View Post
My repair facility showed me the latest update fix from Onkyo, as of January 2010:

Replacing the HDMI board
Checking/adding capacitors to the NEW board.
updating firmware.
Yes, and that process is taking about 2-3 months as of right now. The HDMI board is severely backordered (due to the number of defective units no doubt).

I'm at two full months as of this weekend.
awol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:31 PM   #29  
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol View Post
Yes, and that process is taking about 2-3 months as of right now. The HDMI board is severely backordered (due to the number of defective units no doubt).

I'm at two full months as of this weekend.
I wonder if those of us who have had the board replaced once already would still have to wait 2-3 months, or if they could just replace the caps and update the FW.

I might have to call the facility which replaced my board on Monday and see what they say.
Macks1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:36 PM   #30  
My plasma is High Def.
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol View Post
Yes, and that process is taking about 2-3 months as of right now. The HDMI board is severely backordered (due to the number of defective units no doubt).

I'm at two full months as of this weekend.
My local repair facility didn't mention any difficulty in receiving the part yet, but then again, they just ordered it. I wonder if when I call in a week they'll say something's up...

Who'd you hear this from, and when? Is it SOLID info?
Nico_bellic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:05 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands