High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

High Definition Receivers, Recorders, Players, Tivos Discuss High Definition Receivers, Recorders, Players, Tivos, etc. Post reviews ask questions, etc.

Would You Upgrade to a New Receiver Right Now Just for PLIIz?

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2009, 07:57 AM   #31  
JMS
I'm gettin' all pixelated
 
JMS's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Columbus,OH
Posts: 1,066
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves2Watch View Post
I wouldn't necessarily call it high end either but not low end by any means. I would call it the starting point of better audio equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Marlowe View Post
EXACTLY -- of course it's not "high end" but it seems to get a great deal of criticism because of its "price point" in the market; as as said, I feel it's more of one of the company's mid-priced offerings, even though that usually equates to the $1K-plus models.
Home Theater magazine gives it thumbs up in their "ENTRY LEVEL" class.

http://www.hometheatermag.com/buyersguides/avreceivers/
JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:59 AM   #32  
Former Super Moderator
 
Loves2Watch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: In Flux
Posts: 20,283
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS View Post
Home Theater magazine gives it thumbs up in their "ENTRY LEVEL" class.

http://www.hometheatermag.com/buyersguides/avreceivers/
And rightly so.
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:20 AM   #33  
waylin rules
 
caliberconst.'s Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 642
Default

Can someone tell me the difference between Onkyo's PLIIz, and yamahas presence speakers. Yamaha has been doing these presence speakers for while. I think what Yamaha's Presence speakers just matrix the front speakers to accomplish this, so is this what PLIIz does since there is no discs that actually have PLIIz. Also these height speakers seem like they would be nice for drama/comedy movies that dont use the surrounds verry much.
caliberconst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:15 PM   #34  
Former Super Moderator
 
Loves2Watch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: In Flux
Posts: 20,283
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliberconst. View Post
Can someone tell me the difference between Onkyo's PLIIz, and yamahas presence speakers. Yamaha has been doing these presence speakers for while. I think what Yamaha's Presence speakers just matrix the front speakers to accomplish this, so is this what PLIIz does since there is no discs that actually have PLIIz. Also these height speakers seem like they would be nice for drama/comedy movies that dont use the surrounds verry much.
Dolby Pro Logic IIz Benefits

* Introduces front height channels for more spacious surround sound - requires 2 extra front speakers
* Delivers a compelling and enveloping listening experience
* Adds depth and dimension for a lifelike soundstage
* Provides you with a wide range of choices for speaker positioning to optimize sound in almost any room
* Works with existing soundtracks by identifying and decoding spatial cues that occur naturally in a soundtrack


See here for further info - http://www.dolby.com/consumer/techno...logic-IIz.html
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:33 PM   #35  
JMS
I'm gettin' all pixelated
 
JMS's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Columbus,OH
Posts: 1,066
Default

Here is what Yamaha says about their "Presence Speaker" feature:

Quote:
What are Presence speakers?

Presence speakers supplement the sound from the front speakers with extra ambient effects produced by CINEMA DSP. These effects include sounds that Filmmakers intend to locate a little farther back behind the screen in order to create more theater-like ambiance. Place these speakers at the front of the room about 0.5 - 1 m (1 -3 ft) outside the front speakers, facing slightly inwards, and about 1.8 m (6 ft) above the floor.

NOTE: The Presence speakers are also utilized if the receiver has the Dialog Lift feature that adjusts the height of the front and center channel sounds by assigning some of the front and center channel elements to the presence speakers. The larger the parameter, the higher the position of the front and center channel sound.
Yamaha's presence speakers feature seems to be just another of their sometimes brilliant DSP modes where generated ambience (similar to reverb) is fed to the height speakers with the goal being the simulation of a larger room -- such as a movie theater. Dolby PL IIz, on the other hand, extracts a signal from the available audio content to the overhead speakers in order to give a impression of overhead sound (such as rainfall).

The speaker placement recommendations differ somewhat:

Yamaha


Dolby


Dolby seems to have taken the height speaker concept right out of Yamaha's playbook and fit it to the existing Dolby Pro Logic matrix model.

http://www.electronichouse.com/artic...ound_presence/
JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:07 PM   #36  
waylin rules
 
caliberconst.'s Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 642
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS View Post
Here is what Yamaha says about their "Presence Speaker" feature:



Yamaha's presence speakers feature seems to be just another of their sometimes brilliant DSP modes where generated ambience (similar to reverb) is fed to the height speakers with the goal being the simulation of a larger room -- such as a movie theater. Dolby PL IIz, on the other hand, extracts a signal from the available audio content to the overhead speakers in order to give a impression of overhead sound (such as rainfall).

The speaker placement recommendations differ somewhat:

Yamaha


Dolby


Dolby seems to have taken the height speaker concept right out of Yamaha's playbook and fit it to the existing Dolby Pro Logic matrix model.

http://www.electronichouse.com/artic...ound_presence/
Verry informative thank you verry much. I tried to get the presence speakers on my yammy to work when I first got it, but could not get them to work along with the 7.1. I have since droped the two back speakers, thinking maybe I'll try the presence speakers again.

Last edited by caliberconst.; 08-30-2009 at 08:20 PM..
caliberconst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:45 PM   #37  
HDF's Resident Reviewer
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves2Watch View Post
The TX-NR5007 is rated at 145 watts per channel, and its power supply features a massive toroidal transformer and a pair of 22,000 microfarad storage capacitors to handle even the most dynamic source material. Both the TX-NR5007 and the 140-watt-per-channel TX-NR3007 feature separate power supply transformers for audio and video processing and reproduction. All three receivers, including the 135-watt-per-channel TX-NR1007, feature a push-pull amplification topology, with three-stage inverted Darlington circuitry and the company's highly regarded WRAT (Wide Range Amplifier Technology) for highly dynamic and linear response throughout the audible spectrum.

See full press release here - http://www.gspr.com/onkyo/x007.html
Was this a quote/clip from the press release?

Wow -- those power specs seem pretty aggressive; do Onkyo's more "top tier" receivers like these put out pretty close to what they're claiming -- and are 135-145 watts per channel enough to pressurize just about any sized room (save for a theater-sized setting)?
Peter Marlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:46 PM   #38  
HDF's Resident Reviewer
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS View Post
Home Theater magazine gives it thumbs up in their "ENTRY LEVEL" class.

http://www.hometheatermag.com/buyersguides/avreceivers/
And I still don't subscribe to the fact that the models are ENTRY LEVEL -- at all.
Peter Marlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:52 PM   #39  
KE4TQP
 
JohninTenn's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 744
Default

If they are up to date with HDMI 1.3's Where are the new 1.4's?
JohninTenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:57 PM   #40  
HDF's Resident Reviewer
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninTenn View Post
If they are up to date with HDMI 1.3's Where are the new 1.4's?
Are you referring to these new Onkyos being discussed?
Peter Marlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:14 PM   #41  
Former Super Moderator
 
Loves2Watch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: In Flux
Posts: 20,283
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Marlowe View Post
Was this a quote/clip from the press release?

Wow -- those power specs seem pretty aggressive; do Onkyo's more "top tier" receivers like these put out pretty close to what they're claiming -- and are 135-145 watts per channel enough to pressurize just about any sized room (save for a theater-sized setting)?
Yes, from the linked press release. Did you not read it?

Yes they are rated more closely to their actual all channels driven power rating. Remember, these models are just a side step from their costlier brothers in the Integra line (which continually get rave reviews). And it certainly would create enough sound level to fill all but an auditorium.
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:24 PM   #42  
HDF's Resident Reviewer
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves2Watch View Post
Yes, from the linked press release. Did you not read it?
No, I didn't. I just read what you typed.

Quote:
Yes they are rated more closely to their actual all channels driven power rating. Remember, these models are just a side step from their costlier brothers in the Integra line (which continually get rave reviews). And it certainly would create enough sound level to fill all but an auditorium.
Of course these could canabalize sales from their premium Integra brand as TSX and TL sales have been eating up Accord sales for awhile (Acura and Honda I'm talking about); nice to know that they can hold their own with the power specs though. Perhaps I'll consider these for the next upgrade when we move...

Would it make sense at this price point to consider separates instead of a beefy receiver like one of these Onkyos?
Peter Marlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:30 AM   #43  
JMS
I'm gettin' all pixelated
 
JMS's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Columbus,OH
Posts: 1,066
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliberconst. View Post
I tried to get the presence speakers on my yammy to work when I first got it, but could not get them to work along with the 7.1. I have since droped the two back speakers, thinking maybe I'll try the presence speakers again.
On most Yamaha receivers, the presence speakers and the rear surrounds share the same amps. The fronts and backs cannot play at the same time. The receiver's processing decides which will be used at any given time depending on the source material.

This is not the case with the new Onkyos, which makes them true 9.1 receivers (provided you don't use the Zone 2 feature).
JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:32 AM   #44  
Former Super Moderator
 
Loves2Watch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: In Flux
Posts: 20,283
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Marlowe View Post
Would it make sense at this price point to consider separates instead of a beefy receiver like one of these Onkyos?
That is debatable. There are two camps, one which believes receivers do just as good a job and the other which believes separates are superior. These days, I agree with the former and receivers like these are the reason why.

Remember, although Integra receivers can be purchased and installed by anyone, they are marketed towards custom installers and with that being the case you won't find them at discounted prices.
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:27 PM   #45  
HDF's Resident Reviewer
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves2Watch View Post
That is debatable. There are two camps, one which believes receivers do just as good a job and the other which believes separates are superior. These days, I agree with the former and receivers like these are the reason why.
Well, I was aware of the entire beat-to-a-pulp boxing match that was the "separates vs. receivers" main event and have unfortunately been involved in many of those countless "beat down" threads that didn't seem to lead anywhere; as you clarified in your second sentence in the above paragraph, I was looking to get people's personal views on whether these Onkyos are worth considering over separates at that point in the ballgame.

Quote:
Remember, although Integra receivers can be purchased and installed by anyone, they are marketed towards custom installers and with that being the case you won't find them at discounted prices.
Indeed; they pretty much cornered the entire custom install market in the affordable category -- interestingly enough, most of their small offerings of gear (relatively) are near chassis clones of the Onkyo equipment -- the CD/DVD changer, their receivers, etc.
Peter Marlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to Would You Upgrade to a New Receiver Right Now Just for PLIIz?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What did you do when you wanted to replace your receiver box? BORGUSX DirecTV Forum 28 02-20-2010 11:29 AM
It's a two front war now! Time for an alliance. Deja Vu High Definition Media 78 01-24-2008 12:52 AM
Upgrade to HD? kenfuzed DirecTV Forum 11 08-10-2007 03:51 PM
Suggestions for HD-DVD player and new receiver??? El Despairado HD DVD Players and Discs 57 02-21-2007 07:12 PM
Spend 99 dollars on a new OTA? Ellerbestyle DirecTV Forum 8 12-14-2005 08:27 AM
Get HD+receiver+DVR now or wait ? Confused.. LarryATL DirecTV Forum 7 12-13-2005 07:49 PM
DTV Announces 1st 12 Markets to Get Local Channels In HD Sivad DirecTV Forum 23 03-11-2005 11:42 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:33 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands