High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

High Definition Programming and Shows Talk about HD and programming available on OTA, Cable and Satellite. TV shows both SD and HD should be discussed here.

Fox yells "cut" on commercials

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2008, 01:15 AM   #1  
CMMS Junkie
Thread Starter
 
jjufon's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Little Elm Tx
Posts: 1,328
Thumbs up Fox yells "cut" on commercials

"We're going to have less commercials, less promotional time and less reason for viewers to use the remote," Liguori said. "We're going to have more character, more content, more value."

"Remote-free TV. It's a simple concept and potentially revolutionary," he said. "We're going to redefine the viewing experience."

http://www.reuters.com/article/telev...33809620080516


About time!
jjufon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:16 AM   #2  
Sega does what Nintendont
 
Joe_news's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: U.S. of A.
Posts: 956
Default

Interesting...I wonder how the Ad companies feel about this...I bet some will refuse to buy air time if they feel threatened enough.
Joe_news is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:12 AM   #3  
My Projector is High Def.
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marlborough, MA
Age: 45
Posts: 7,087
Default

The Ads really don't bother me that much. What bothers me far more is the logo's and on screen ads during the actual show. There are a couple of channels that are downright obnoxious with it. (TBS and TNT specifically)
mshulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:09 AM   #4  
I want MORE!
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 112
Default

The bigger question is...does television advertising really pay for itself? I have never seen a tv ad that made me want to rush out to buy a product. Personally, I don't feel that all the money spent for advertising is needed to sell a product, especially now since consumer costs are skyrocketing and people are spending less.
richiephx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:25 PM   #5  
How can anyone watch standard def?
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 17
Default

what really bothers me is the sound level of commercials. It sucks when a commercial comes on I have to grab the remote to lower the sound levels.

Can anyone help with that?
cooter10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:38 PM   #6  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooter10 View Post
what really bothers me is the sound level of commercials. It sucks when a commercial comes on I have to grab the remote to lower the sound levels.

Can anyone help with that?

Some TV's have an auto sound level. If you have a home audio system, I guess that will not help. Maybe some of the newer audio systems have that feature. I'm still using my Onkyo Pro-Logic. It hasn't missed a beat since I got it, and the surround sound quality is fine for the small room used for home theater
geneinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:07 PM   #7  
BFBC2....Do It! DoIt
 
Smthkd's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,440
Default

They should have a comercial only channel and eliminate them on regular channels all together!
Smthkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:27 PM   #8  
Every day is Friday
 
oblioman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hooooterville
Posts: 9,279
Default

Since the cable co's and the sat co's sell their product in tiers, why not allow the consumer to tailor their own tier. If me wants to buy x amount of channels for x amount of dollars - bypassing all of the channels me never watches, this would be heaven. Then reality sets in. Of course they would never do it because 90% of viewers would dump the info channels, religous channels, etc.etc. and the catco's and cable co's would loose the revenue. Not necessarily. Me thinks subcribers would be willing to pay a premium to dump the bullcrap cahannels.
oblioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:59 PM   #9  
CMMS Junkie
Thread Starter
 
jjufon's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Little Elm Tx
Posts: 1,328
Default

With the advent of DVR’s advertisers are looking to go back to product placement.
When I was TIVO scribers, they asked users to submit questions, ways they could improve services, etc.
I always thought since TiVo downloads ads you can choose to watch or not, that if a customer was to watch x number of ads downloaded then said user would get that months Tivo service for free; paid for by the advertiser; i never got an answer back . Advertisers don’t like us skipping their ads, but I’d be happy to “watch” if I was getting something out of it. With cable and satellite I feel broadcasters are getting their cake and eating it too.
My two cents,
jjufon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:49 AM   #10  
Wii 480p looks good to me
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,083
Default

I'd be happy if FOX went to a 9-minute-per-hour schedule, same as the shows of the 1960s (example: Star Trek).

As for Joss Whedon's new show, I hope they treat it better than how they treated Firefly (frequently pre-empted by sports or movies). I suspect they won't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by richiephx1 View Post
I have never seen a tv ad that made me want to rush out to buy a product.
When I worked as a snack machine seller, the advertising did indeed work. After a major Coke blitz, there would be a sudden increase in Coke sales.

And of course, "economy of scale" results in the unit price dropping. More Cokes sold == Lower price per can (or six-pack) due to more efficient operations at the factory & less cost for shipping. So advertising is beneficial. If there was no advertising, the price per unit would climb higher, due to decreased sales.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshulman View Post
The Ads really don't bother me that much. What bothers me far more is the logo's and on screen ads during the actual show.
Oh please. Just go buy the DVD if you love the show so much, you "need" to see the potted plant sitting in the corner.

For myself: I don't need to see the extraneous plants or other background junk. My focus is on the top half of the screen, and I rarely notice the bottom-of-the-screen logo.

Last edited by electrictroy; 05-20-2008 at 08:55 AM..
electrictroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:35 AM   #11  
ISF Calibrator
 
dsskid's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 5,047
Default

American Idol is on Fox, and they are one of the biggest offenders when it comes to way too many commercials during the one hour show.

Did you catch American Idol last night when they had the big Coca Cola logo on the bottom, halfway between center and left corner of screen, and the Fox logo on the other side?

Have you guys ever watched The Biggest Loser, where they have been incorporating commercials into the story line?

There is no escaping the commercials on broadcast TV which is why I limit watching broadcast as much as possible.
dsskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:41 AM   #12  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid View Post
American Idol is on Fox, and they are one of the biggest offenders when it comes to way too many commercials during the one hour show.

Did you catch American Idol last night when they had the big Coca Cola logo on the bottom, halfway between center and left corner of screen, and the Fox logo on the other side?

Have you guys ever watched The Biggest Loser, where they have been incorporating commercials into the story line?

There is no escaping the commercials on broadcast TV which is why I limit watching broadcast as much as possible.

Just another reason I quit watching NASCAR on FOX. The top of the screen is ALWAYS streaming the leader board. Then they split the screen to show the leader and the "battle" for 33rd place. Add the FOX Logo on the lower right, and now that friggin cartoon groundhog every time they use the in track camera. That leaves just enough room to see 2 cars actually racing, unless that damn gopher is hopping up & down, while the announcers giggle like first graders watching the Cartoon Network, all over another picture of car tires zooming by.

geneinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 07:57 PM   #13  
Lord of Gaming
 
LordGamer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,796
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by richiephx1 View Post
The bigger question is...does television advertising really pay for itself? I have never seen a tv ad that made me want to rush out to buy a product. Personally, I don't feel that all the money spent for advertising is needed to sell a product, especially now since consumer costs are skyrocketing and people are spending less.
That's what I've been saying for a long time. Who cares if x sports player or y actor uses z product. Most ads actually end up making me want to stay away.

Case in point, Vitamin Water (during the NBA playoffs) talks about how players drink their product, as if to say I should drink it just because Lebron does...pfff. They don't even try to sell the actual product. Lebron drinks it and he's better than you, nuff said.

But the ads must work on some people (I imagine children and impressionable folk)...they sell. Though, I admit, show me a juicy burger or tasty sandwich and I'm out the door. Indy Double Whopper

That being said, I doubt any major network is going to really cut back on ads. Sure, they'll preach it to us, all while they're cashing the checks.
LordGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 12:03 AM   #14  
Ever Eddy
 
edders's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,455
Default Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblioman View Post
Since the cable co's and the sat co's sell their product in tiers, why not allow the consumer to tailor their own tier. If me wants to buy x amount of channels for x amount of dollars - bypassing all of the channels me never watches, this would be heaven. Then reality sets in. Of course they would never do it because 90% of viewers would dump the info channels, religous channels, etc.etc. and the catco's and cable co's would loose the revenue. Not necessarily. Me thinks subcribers would be willing to pay a premium to dump the bullcrap cahannels.
I wonder if the advertisers even have a clue how obnoxious some of the commercials can be. We often just mute the sound and vegetate for a few minutes. If we wake up again and the commercials are still running, which is often the case, we surf for something else to watch. It's like some company is paying to drive us away from watching a program. Call us jaded, but we will are not THAT interested in any program enough to be whacked in the face for six minutes out of fifteen with bs adds.
edders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 12:06 AM   #15  
Ever Eddy
 
edders's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,455
Default Why do I suspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjufon View Post
"We're going to have less commercials, less promotional time and less reason for viewers to use the remote," Liguori said. "We're going to have more character, more content, more value."

"Remote-free TV. It's a simple concept and potentially revolutionary," he said. "We're going to redefine the viewing experience."

http://www.reuters.com/article/telev...33809620080516


About time!
that they will make up for these programs not having as much add time but putting even more commercials in their regular programs?
edders is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to Fox yells "cut" on commercials
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question on the Fox Sports Networks wfjohnrage DISH Network Forum 4 11-11-2007 04:02 PM
Release Dates For BRD Clear Black High Definition Media 24 09-19-2007 12:31 PM
Surprise Surprise, Fox wake up... MikeRox High Definition Media 3 08-20-2007 05:32 PM
Cops on FOX in HD. . . gossamer Cable Providers 16 09-09-2006 01:07 PM
Fox will release hd movies on BD daum HD DVD Players and Discs 11 07-31-2005 12:11 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:23 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands