High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

High Definition News & Informative Articles Get the Latest High Definition News & Informative Articles Here! Please post newsworthy information here only! This forum is NOT for your first post. Thank you!

Nielsen Research Group: 71% of all PS3 consoles are connected to HDTV

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2008, 09:23 AM   #31  
What's all this, then?...
 
BobY's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,197
Default

We can't predict the future, but just for a reality check, PS3 is still running third in the US and the Wii is on track to sell over 17 Million units by March:

http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2007/1...ales-fantastic

Unless Wii sales suddenly fall off a cliff, it's going to be a long time before the PS3 even catches up, let alone surpasses the Wii.
BobY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:01 AM   #32  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Chris Gerhard's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,946
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobY View Post
We can't predict the future, but just for a reality check, PS3 is still running third in the US and the Wii is on track to sell over 17 Million units by March:

http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2007/1...ales-fantastic

Unless Wii sales suddenly fall off a cliff, it's going to be a long time before the PS3 even catches up, let alone surpasses the Wii.
How is that a reality check and how is it any different than what I stated? The PS3 is designed for HDTV, I don't know that the Wii will do as well when HDTV is in the majority of households in the US. That time is drawing near when that happens although catching and passing the Wii in total sales might not happen, catching and passing it for use with HDTV will happen in my opinion. The market growth potential for games being purchased has to ultimately be HD games. I am not much of a gamer, althougth with one PS3 game and one PS2 game that has seen action with my PS3, I am technically among the millions that use a PS3 for games.

Chris
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:19 PM   #33  
Wii 480p looks good to me
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,083
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
Right now the PS3 is running second worldwide ....
Got proof? [edit] [I just checked the figures at wikipedia (which is backed by valid sources). ~5 1/2 million for PS3 and ~13 million for X360 means your statement is not correct.]

"In the worldwide marketplace, the PlayStation 3 is currently behind its competitor systems, the Xbox 360 and the Wii, both overall and in monthly sales."

Last edited by electrictroy; 01-03-2008 at 02:27 PM..
electrictroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:09 PM   #34  
My Projector is High Def.
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marlborough, MA
Age: 45
Posts: 7,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
Right now the PS3 is running second worldwide and with the first place console being not exactly what you would want with an HDTV, I think the PS3 if promoted and developed properly will be number 1 eventually.

Chris
Running 2nd during the holidays (and its a close 2nd) really doesn't mean its going to keep this pace up moving forward.

It may simply mean that those who didn't get it for a holiday gift last year due to launch or cost may have gotten their's this year. Overall, its just slightly above where the 360 was at the same time in its life. This really shouldn't be surprising when you consider the huge PS2 install base and that many of those PS2 owners would first be more likely to go with the PS3.

There is ZERO evidence to show its going to continue on like this - in fact, all past history shows us it won't and its just getting a boost from the holidays.
mshulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:18 PM   #35  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Chris Gerhard's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,946
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrictroy View Post
Got proof? [edit] [I just checked the figures at wikipedia (which is backed by valid sources). ~5 1/2 million for PS3 and ~13 million for X360 means your statement is not correct.]

"In the worldwide marketplace, the PlayStation 3 is currently behind its competitor systems, the Xbox 360 and the Wii, both overall and in monthly sales."
False, my statement is correct. The XBox 360 launched a year before the PS3 and I stated right now the PS3 is running second worldwide, I didn't state nor did I mean inception to date, I would have said as much. Here is the score for the most recent week where the PS3 sold 60,000 more than the XBox 360.

http://www.vgchartz.com/

Chris
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:54 PM   #36  
What's all this, then?...
 
BobY's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,197
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
How is that a reality check and how is it any different than what I stated? The PS3 is designed for HDTV, I don't know that the Wii will do as well when HDTV is in the majority of households in the US. That time is drawing near when that happens although catching and passing the Wii in total sales might not happen, catching and passing it for use with HDTV will happen in my opinion. The market growth potential for games being purchased has to ultimately be HD games. I am not much of a gamer, althougth with one PS3 game and one PS2 game that has seen action with my PS3, I am technically among the millions that use a PS3 for games.

Chris
It's an obvious reality check in contradiction to what you stated ("I think the PS3 if promoted and developed properly will be number 1 eventually.").

The Wii launched later than the PS3 and has sold over twice as many units (and here we're talking over 10 million units more). It sells at twice the rate of the PS3. Unless the sales of the PS3 dramatically improve (say 5-10 times the average rate) and the sales of the Wii drop to near zero, there is no mathematical hope that PS3 can catch the Wii, let alone surpass it. Even if those things came to pass it would still take several years for the PS3 to suprass the Wii and by then, it's likely neither machine will be in production any longer (and people will be discussing the PS4 and Wiii).

Of course sales of the Wii were blistering over Christmas and Nintendo remains production limited--they could be selling even more.

I'm sure the Wii is just as popular with HDTV owners as with SDTV owners. The Wii has cracked the demographic walls and is enjoyed just as much by Grandma and Grandpa as by their 4 year-old grandchildren and everyone in between. That's because the Wii is fun to play and more people give that higher priority than the level of realism of the image and sound of blood, gore, space aliens and car crashes.

If HDTV owners are perfectly happy watching upscaled DVD rather than Blu-Ray or HD DVD, then they will also be perfectly happy watching upscaled Wii as well.
BobY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:57 PM   #37  
HD
 
connerc_37's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 404
Default

I will never believe Nielsen ratings. THEY ARE OWNED BY SONY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
connerc_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:23 AM   #38  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Chris Gerhard's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,946
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobY View Post
It's an obvious reality check in contradiction to what you stated ("I think the PS3 if promoted and developed properly will be number 1 eventually.").

No, it doesn't. I mean #1 for sales in a given period and #1 for games sold in a given period. I don't believe that the PS3 will ever pass the PS2 inception to date and neither will Wii. That doesn't mean that Wii isn't #1 now. I believe the PS3 will eventually be the most popular game console worldwide for use with an HDTV, nothing more, nothing less, and that is what this forum discusses. If we are talking about inception to date sales for a game console, none of these current consoles ever pass the PS2 in my opinion.

Chris
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:21 AM   #39  
My Projector is High Def.
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marlborough, MA
Age: 45
Posts: 7,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
No, it doesn't. I mean #1 for sales in a given period and #1 for games sold in a given period. I don't believe that the PS3 will ever pass the PS2 inception to date and neither will Wii. That doesn't mean that Wii isn't #1 now. I believe the PS3 will eventually be the most popular game console worldwide for use with an HDTV, nothing more, nothing less, and that is what this forum discusses. If we are talking about inception to date sales for a game console, none of these current consoles ever pass the PS2 in my opinion.

Chris
I thinks its unlikely the PS3 will ever pass the 360 too, not just the Wii.

360 is just as likely to be connected to an HD TV as the PS3.
mshulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:46 AM   #40  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Chris Gerhard's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,946
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshulman View Post
I thinks its unlikely the PS3 will ever pass the 360 too, not just the Wii.

360 is just as likely to be connected to an HD TV as the PS3.
I think not, but go ahead and provide the evidence that the XBox 360 is connected to an HDTV as often as the PS3. Since many XBox 360's didn't even have HDMI, I think that statement is absolutely false. The PS3 has already outsold the XBox each of the last two weeks, maybe more, worldwide according to any information I can find. I believe the PS3 also outsold the XBox 360 for the first year after launch. I don't know if the PS3 can make up the lead the XBox 360 has since it launched about a year earlier, but it might.

Chris
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:52 PM   #41  
Ain't I good lookin'?
 
JMCIII's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Stowe, VT
Posts: 73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikopol View Post

They never contacted my son. He has his connected to my old Sony Wega CRT - and is just fine with it.
JMCIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:37 PM   #42  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
bcus28's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: GI,NY
Posts: 205
Default

I am not suprised by these percentages. When I got my PS3 this past June, it took me no longer than 1month to realize I needed an HDTV to realize it's potential.

I now tell everyone I know---->don't even bother bother getting a PS3 unless you plan on getting a HDTV also.
bcus28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 02:28 AM   #43  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Chris Gerhard's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,946
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCIII View Post
They never contacted my son. He has his connected to my old Sony Wega CRT - and is just fine with it.

Didn't need to, they did a statistical sample and found 29% do just as your son has done so far. Do you also think this number is bogus?

Chris
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to Nielsen Research Group: 71% of all PS3 consoles are connected to HDTV
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HD DVD fights back in the US! Super XP High Definition Media 97 01-31-2008 08:11 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:41 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands