High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

High Definition News & Informative Articles Get the Latest High Definition News & Informative Articles Here! Please post newsworthy information here only! This forum is NOT for your first post. Thank you!

Nielsen Research Group: 71% of all PS3 consoles are connected to HDTV

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2007, 01:07 PM   #16  
My Projector is High Def.
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marlborough, MA
Age: 45
Posts: 7,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
Ok, I disagree, look at my signature, SACD is huge for me. SACD may be small, but it is huge compared to HD DVD with over 20 times the players sold worldwide and over 10 times the software releases. You stated that XBox 360 does all that the PS3 does and I disagree for many reasons, but SACD playback alone is more than enough for me to disagree. If you don't care about all of the things that the PS3 can do that the XBox 360 can't do, then as far as you are concerned it can do all of the things you care about. For that matter, a DVD player that plays CD and DVD might do all the majority of the population cares about that these next generation format players handle.

Chris
Come on Chris. How many people do you think are really buying the PS3 simply because it has SACD playback? Maybe its another "bonus", but its not something the vast majority of people are looking for. I bet if you asked 1000 people, maybe 1 might mention it.

I'm not basing anything on what I want - I'm basing it on what I believe the mass population of consumers want. I think that is your problem and many blu-ray fanboy's problems - they base things off what they want and don't look at the bigger picture.

Its what the other 90% of consumers want that matters - not at all what anyone here wants - were in a different group since we are High Def enthusiasts.
mshulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 01:29 PM   #17  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Chris Gerhard's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,946
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshulman View Post
Come on Chris. How many people do you think are really buying the PS3 simply because it has SACD playback? Maybe its another "bonus", but its not something the vast majority of people are looking for. I bet if you asked 1000 people, maybe 1 might mention it.

I'm not basing anything on what I want - I'm basing it on what I believe the mass population of consumers want. I think that is your problem and many blu-ray fanboy's problems - they base things off what they want and don't look at the bigger picture.

Its what the other 90% of consumers want that matters - not at all what anyone here wants - were in a different group since we are High Def enthusiasts.
I never said anybody was buying the PS3 soley for SACD playback. I said the PS3 does much more than any game console previously and I believe it is picking up momentum now and it is being used as a media server and it is being used as a Blu-ray player and as an SACD player. The predictions I have seen that it will reach 15,000,000 sold in the US eventually are consistent with what I see happening.

Chris
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 02:57 PM   #18  
My Projector is High Def.
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marlborough, MA
Age: 45
Posts: 7,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
I never said anybody was buying the PS3 soley for SACD playback. I said the PS3 does much more than any game console previously and I believe it is picking up momentum now and it is being used as a media server and it is being used as a Blu-ray player and as an SACD player. The predictions I have seen that it will reach 15,000,000 sold in the US eventually are consistent with what I see happening.

Chris
No, you didn't, but you are saying its these advantages that will make it sell better because of this.

I believe it is selling about on par with where gaming systems have in the past, so it seems clear these extras are not helping push it beyond.

Just look at the following chart: http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php

You can clearly see that gaming systems tend to progress at the same rate. PS3 was off to a slightly slower start than 360, but is now closer to where 360 was.

There is no evidence to support that it is going to do anything other than continue on that same line. Just look at past consoles too - the line continues to grow at about the same rate.. That's the downside of a gaming console.
mshulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 03:09 PM   #19  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Chris Gerhard's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,946
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshulman View Post
No, you didn't, but you are saying its these advantages that will make it sell better because of this.

I believe it is selling about on par with where gaming systems have in the past, so it seems clear these extras are not helping push it beyond.

Just look at the following chart: http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php

You can clearly see that gaming systems tend to progress at the same rate. PS3 was off to a slightly slower start than 360, but is now closer to where 360 was.

There is no evidence to support that it is going to do anything other than continue on that same line. Just look at past consoles too - the line continues to grow at about the same rate.. That's the downside of a gaming console.
OK, that is your opinion, fine with me. I have a different opinion and in about 3 years we will know if one of us had it right.

Chris
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:45 PM   #20  
My Projector is High Def.
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marlborough, MA
Age: 45
Posts: 7,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
OK, that is your opinion, fine with me. I have a different opinion and in about 3 years we will know if one of us had it right.

Chris
True.

Only thing that I think you do that distorts your opinion somewhat is look at what YOU want. That's important for making your own decisions, but it does nothing to predict what the average consumer may want or need. You need to step out of your shoes and into the shoes of the average consumer. You are quite far from it. I'm still a bit ahead of them too, but closer myself.
mshulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:25 AM   #21  
Wii 480p looks good to me
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,083
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
The PS3 upscales standard DVD and also plays SACD, DivX, WMV HD and a number of other formats. The PS2 in comparison does very little.

Chris
You're failing to take into account the TIME when the PS2 was delivered. In 2000/2001, being able to not only play games but also DVDs, CDs, MP3-CDs, and CD-Videos was a big deal.

Those extra abilities didn't hurt the PS2's sales.

Therefore I don't understand why you think extra abilities would hurt the PS3's sales. (See below.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
The Sony strategy of making the PS3 so much more than a game console likely means most of the market interested in only gaming has either stuck with the PS2 or chosen something else.
electrictroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:32 AM   #22  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Chris Gerhard's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,946
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrictroy View Post
You're failing to take into account the TIME when the PS2 was delivered. In 2000/2001, being able to not only play games but also DVDs, CDs, MP3-CDs, and CD-Videos was a big deal.

Those extra abilities didn't hurt the PS2's sales.

Therefore I don't understand why you think extra abilities would hurt the PS3's sales. (See below.)
I understand you don't understand. The fact there weren't so many different things for the PS2 to do is correct and that is why the PS3 is the first game console of its type, that does so much. I have stated making the PS3 so much more than just a game console hurts the sales of the PS3 as a game console because that means the PS3 has to cost much more than just a game console. I also pointed out that the PS2 continues to outsell the PS3 and I believe that is solely because the PS2 is less expensive, has more games and the games cost less. You can disagree and think the PS3 doing much more and being much higher priced isn't the reason it doesn't sell more than the PS2 sells currently, that is fine. I am sure you have no other explanation other than what I have suggested but that is fine too. You get to have your opinion, you don't have to agree with me.

Chris
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:26 AM   #23  
Wii 480p looks good to me
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,083
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
I have stated making the PS3 so much more than just a game console hurts the sales of the PS3 as a game console because that means the PS3 has to cost much more than just a game console. I also pointed out that the PS2 continues to outsell the PS3 and I believe that is solely because the PS2 is less expensive, has more games, and the games cost less.
Okay NOW I understand what you're saying.

And I disagree.

Most of the PS3's features are just extra codecs added to the ROM. Like playing SACDs - there's no new hardware required to do that job. Therefore no added expense. It's just software.



Xbox360 does have the advantage of using a standard DVD drive (which is practically a commodity nowadays), whereas PS3 has to use a still-new, still-working-out-the-bugs Bluray drive. THAT could drive up the cost by a signifigant degree.

But the features?

No. Just software. No extra expense. The PS3 could play 100 different formats from the primitive CD-photo discs to DVD-Audio to Super Audio CD. Those 100 extra features would not increase the price - it's all just codecs.
electrictroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:40 AM   #24  
Yorktown, VA
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrictroy View Post
Okay NOW I understand what you're saying.

And I disagree.

Most of the PS3's features are just extra codecs added to the ROM. Like playing SACDs - there's no new hardware required to do that job. Therefore no added expense. It's just software.
Wow!! Software is not an added expense? With some of the systems I work with the S/W cost is more than the H/W.
nmlobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:50 AM   #25  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Chris Gerhard's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,946
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrictroy View Post
Okay NOW I understand what you're saying.

And I disagree.

Most of the PS3's features are just extra codecs added to the ROM. Like playing SACDs - there's no new hardware required to do that job. Therefore no added expense. It's just software.



Xbox360 does have the advantage of using a standard DVD drive (which is practically a commodity nowadays), whereas PS3 has to use a still-new, still-working-out-the-bugs Bluray drive. THAT could drive up the cost by a signifigant degree.

But the features?

No. Just software. No extra expense. The PS3 could play 100 different formats from the primitive CD-photo discs to DVD-Audio to Super Audio CD. Those 100 extra features would not increase the price - it's all just codecs.
Of course this is all wrong, but so what. Your opinion is your opinion, and that is alright with me.

Chris
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:16 PM   #26  
1080 Optical Supporter
 
Type A's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Panama City, Fl
Age: 48
Posts: 2,723
Default

Perhaps there are a couple of formats some might use with their p3, but the vastly superior xbox live marketplace clearly makes the 360 a superior machine from a media server standpoint. I couldnt help but laugh when having to purchase an external wireless adapter (which have been available pretty much since launch) and an external next gen dvd drive is considered a drawback and inconvenience for folks like Chris. For others, like myself, I appreciate the option of purchasing those features, not having them rammed down my throat. I really liked being able to upgrade to the winning hd dvd format of next generation dvd when I was ready. Even as a gamer and downloader of much hd material from xbox live, I would never use wireless connections for my console knowing how critical connection speeds are, but I can get the adapter for cheap if I have to sacrifice speed for getting the console connected.
Type A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 02:22 PM   #27  
Wii 480p looks good to me
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,083
Default

Yeah the initial $600 pricetag was rather outrageous. I'm glad it's dropped to $300, but is it already too late? Is the PS3 doomed to third place forever?

Perhaps Sony could have subtracted something from the unit, like not including a network adapter. Or maybe keep the NA, but use cheaper to build wired controllers. I don't know. I only know that the initial price was WAY too high.

That's what killed it. The price. Not "it has too much stuff" like Chris claimed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmlobo View Post
Wow!! Software is not an added expense? With some of the systems I work with the S/W cost is more than the H/W.
Yes but we're specifically discussing codecs. It didn't cost me anything to download 1000+ codec file, so that I could play a wide variety of movies and songs. It was essentially free (just had to pay for the electricity to run my computer).
electrictroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:16 PM   #28  
My Projector is High Def.
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marlborough, MA
Age: 45
Posts: 7,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrictroy View Post
Yeah the initial $600 pricetag was rather outrageous. I'm glad it's dropped to $300, but is it already too late? Is the PS3 doomed to third place forever?
Based on the past history of consoles, I'd have to say it is.
mshulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:13 AM   #29  
Wii 480p looks good to me
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,083
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshulman View Post
Based on the past history of consoles, I'd have to say it is.
Hmmm. Looks like I'll be hanging onto my PS2 and playing PS1/2 classics for quite a while.

Maybe it's time to dust off the old Super Nintendo and Genesis.
electrictroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:44 AM   #30  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Chris Gerhard's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,946
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshulman View Post
Based on the past history of consoles, I'd have to say it is.

Right now the PS3 is running second worldwide and with the first place console being not exactly what you would want with an HDTV, I think the PS3 if promoted and developed properly will be number 1 eventually.

Chris
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to Nielsen Research Group: 71% of all PS3 consoles are connected to HDTV
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HD DVD fights back in the US! Super XP High Definition Media 97 01-31-2008 08:11 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:01 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands