High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

High Definition News & Informative Articles Get the Latest High Definition News & Informative Articles Here! Please post newsworthy information here only! This forum is NOT for your first post. Thank you!

HD discs have already failed

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2007, 04:03 PM   #1  
Wii 480p looks good to me
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,083
Default HD discs have already failed

http://www.audioholics.com/news/edit...already-failed

This was a very good article, and I have to agree. I certainly don't feel any desire to upgrade to HD discs, and I doubt the average NON-technical consumer wants to either.

High-def discs will probably fail
in the same way "high-band"
Super VHS failed to replace VHS.
Consumers just don't care about quality.
electrictroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:19 PM   #2  
1080 Optical Supporter
 
Type A's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Panama City, Fl
Age: 48
Posts: 2,723
Default

Ill try to remember how much of a failure this all is the next time I enjoy an hd movie without having had to download it or watch it on dish.
Type A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:32 PM   #3  
Wii 480p looks good to me
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,083
Default

Well, do you have any Laserdisc players laying around & unsupported because the format was abandoned? How about Super Audio CD players collecting dust? Or DAT? DCC? Betamax?

Maybe Bluray and HD-DVD will soon join them in the pile of obsolete players.
electrictroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:57 PM   #4  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 144
Default

I disagree that consumers don't care about quality.

HD discs are failing because of one reason only, high price.

If someone launched a player tommorrow at 100 that recorded to both BR and HD then sales would go into the millions.

Old story, the manufacturers want to make all their development costs back 1st, before they'll reduce the prices, whereas if they'd just come in at a low price point, then volume would take care of that anyway.

The only people killing formats are the manufacturers themselves.
Alsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:16 PM   #5  
Wii 480p looks good to me
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,083
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsone View Post
I disagree that consumers don't care about quality.
Then how come Super VHS failed to replace VHS?
electrictroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:57 PM   #6  
Administrator
 
rbinck's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 16,975
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrictroy View Post
Then how come Super VHS failed to replace VHS?
Different era. With 27" screens being big screen TVs, there was not much difference. And price.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:29 PM   #7  
What's all this, then?...
 
BobY's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,197
Default

VHS sales were driven by the desire to record your own programs off the air (transmitted in NTSC) and to buy/rent pre-recorded movies (generally available only in standard VHS).

What motivation would anyone have to buy an S-VHS deck?

Actually I did buy one because it was being blown out for less money than a standard VHS deck and the picture quality was notably better than a standard VHS deck (even on standard VHS tapes) due to the higher-bandwidth/lower-noise circuitry needed to support S-VHS.

I never watched anything recorded in S-VHS on it though
BobY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:10 PM   #8  
1080 Optical Supporter
 
Type A's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Panama City, Fl
Age: 48
Posts: 2,723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrictroy
Well, do you have any Laserdisc players laying around & unsupported because the format was abandoned? How about Super Audio CD players collecting dust? Or DAT? DCC? Betamax?

Maybe Bluray and HD-DVD will soon join them in the pile of obsolete players.
You're right Troy, perhaps I should join you in just 'observing' from the sidelines simply because I fear obsolescence.
Type A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:20 PM   #9  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
ILOVEMYHDTV's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 291
Default Just my opinion

I I I I'M SCARED OF THE DARK....
ILOVEMYHDTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:23 PM   #10  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: MA.
Posts: 2,846
Default

This is old blogger news and is just an opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if you talked to him today his opinion would be different. But it would still be only a bloggers opinion.
tcarcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:12 AM   #11  
1080 Optical Supporter
 
Type A's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Panama City, Fl
Age: 48
Posts: 2,723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrictroy
I certainly don't feel any desire to upgrade to HD discs
Does this lack of desire, in any way, have anything to do with you not owning an hdtv? I ask because, someone like yourself voicing your opinion on a hdtv format, and others actually following your advise, would be much like following 'financial advise from a poor man', wouldnt it?
Type A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:50 AM   #12  
Miss-Ti, World's BEST Cat
 
CatManDoo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 1,827
Post Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrictroy View Post
Well, do you have any Laserdisc players laying around & unsupported because the format was abandoned? How about Super Audio CD players collecting dust? Or DAT? DCC? Betamax?

Maybe Bluray and HD-DVD will soon join them in the pile of obsolete players.
Just one. Super Audio CD. But fortunately it also plays Dolby Digital 5.1 Music DVD's.
CatManDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:04 AM   #13  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,095
Default

My fears of HD disc's are such that I'm expecting delivery of a new BR player in the next days to accompany my HD DVD player.

Seriously, not only HD video is more enjoyable (Planet Earth BBC series is a great sales success for both HD DVD and BR) but lossless audio is great and will be super for musical concerts on recordings.

I have the movie Robin Hood in HD DVD and the Video is top HD quality... this is a 1937 film!

Star Trek, the original series (season 1), is coming out in November in HD DVD and they have edited the episodes to incorporate computerized enhancements. No question that the PQ and AQ will be top notch.
mfabien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:57 AM   #14  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
fr8mvr's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The ATL
Age: 61
Posts: 456
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrictroy View Post
Then how come Super VHS failed to replace VHS?
Because DVD came out to watch and VHS was there to record. SVHS never made the shelves of the rental stores.
fr8mvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:58 AM   #15  
fmw
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
fmw's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrictroy View Post
Well, do you have any Laserdisc players laying around & unsupported because the format was abandoned? How about Super Audio CD players collecting dust? Or DAT? DCC? Betamax?

Maybe Bluray and HD-DVD will soon join them in the pile of obsolete players.
Yes, I just ordered a new SACD player. I have a DAT as well - a Panasonic 3800 (very nice.) I use it for mastering multichannel recordings. I have an outstanding Nakamichi cassette recorder as well. It sounds almost exactly like a CD. And, of course, I have CD recorder. I need something to copy my master to so that I can play them where there is not DAT machine.

These are different issues. Laserdisc and cassette were replaced by digital media - completely different technology. DAT and all other magnetic tape media were replaced by discs because of random access. Betamax was the loser in its own format war. None of these issues corresponds to the current HD disc format war. Will consumers embrace HD video discs. Sure, as soon as they are unaware that they are buying them. When players cost the same as SD units and when the discs are multiformat so that they will play on the old plyers and the transition is seamless, HD will finally take over. If those things don't happen, I agree both formats are probably doomed.
fmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to HD discs have already failed
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upconversion players vs HD DVD, Blur-ray jakebizz High Definition News & Informative Articles 111 02-03-2011 10:19 AM
Any chance HD DVD could ever be re-introduced? El Despairado High Definition Media 159 05-06-2008 12:23 PM
10 Reasons Why High Def DVD Formats Have Already Failed borromini HD DVD Players and Discs 19 12-04-2007 04:37 PM
Scenario of how HD DVD wins format war quickly! unotis HD DVD Players and Discs 172 10-02-2007 05:02 AM
HD-DVD is proprietary tech electrictroy High Definition Media 136 09-20-2007 07:12 PM
Have any of you considered that each format will fail? El Despairado HD DVD Players and Discs 97 06-12-2007 03:58 PM
10 Reasons Why High Definition DVD Formats Have Already Failed mayank High Definition News & Informative Articles 67 03-12-2007 02:38 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:20 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands