High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

High Definition News & Informative Articles Get the Latest High Definition News & Informative Articles Here! Please post newsworthy information here only! This forum is NOT for your first post. Thank you!

Plasma Bites the Dust...Hitachi Looking To Quit Plasma Market

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2006, 01:37 PM   #16  
No HD? We have a problem.
 
stchman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 52
Posts: 2,321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobY
Bear in mind that most of the 1080p LCD's are much smaller screens than the 1080p plasmas, so it's hardly a fair comparison price-wise. 50" and above 1080p LCD's are pretty pricey too (and these are the first generation 1080p Plasmas, so they will certainly be coming down in price).
Sony and Sharp make a 46" 1080p LCD flat panel. That is only 4" smaller than the Pioneer plasma and they are less than 1/2 the price. They have better PQ than the 1080p plasma.
stchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 02:23 PM   #17  
HD DVD Supporter
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stchman
Sony and Sharp make a 46" 1080p LCD flat panel. That is only 4" smaller than the Pioneer plasma and they are less than 1/2 the price. They have better PQ than the 1080p plasma.

According to you.
Steeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 02:34 PM   #18  
No HD? We have a problem.
 
stchman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 52
Posts: 2,321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeb
According to you.
Better PQ is an opinion, isn't it?

Just like it is your opinion that HD-DVD has better PQ than Blu Ray but some on this forum would disagree with you (I don't as I think they both have nearly identical PQ). Wait a second, anyone who disagrees with you must be a liar. I forgot.

I just think that 1080p plasmas are WAYYYYY too expensive for the PQ they offer when flat panels IMO offer better PQ for less than 1/2 the price and only being 4" smaller.
stchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 03:49 PM   #19  
HD DVD Supporter
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stchman
Wait a second, anyone who disagrees with you must be a liar. I forgot.
No, those who knowingly make false statements are liars. You just happen to fall into that category. If you don't want to be branded a liar, don't post lies.
Steeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 04:01 PM   #20  
HD DVD Supporter
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stchman
I was at the BB Magnolia store and they had the new 50" Pioneer 1080p plasma that costs $8k. They had a 46" Sony Bravia XBR3 and it looked better than the Pioneer at 1/2 the price. IMO the LCD flat panel has a better looking picture than a plasma.
Your problem is, you're making a comparison when there are too many variables involved that are out of your control.

Judging a TV's PQ based on how it looks in the store is something J6P does.

Last edited by Steeb; 12-05-2006 at 04:08 PM..
Steeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 04:32 PM   #21  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bay Area, CA
Age: 48
Posts: 679
Default

Areas where a plasma typically beats a LCD:

color richness (this is a rather subjective things, but many prefer richness of the plasma)
black levels
pixel response time (if slow, you will see a blurred image on fast shots)
72 Hz refresh rate (eliminates juddering when viewing motion pictures - note this is new tech that even very few plasmas possess)
fryet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 04:37 PM   #22  
No HD? We have a problem.
 
stchman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 52
Posts: 2,321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeb
Your problem is, you're making a comparison when there are too many variables involved that are out of your control.

Judging a TV's PQ based on how it looks in the store is something J6P does.
Since I don't have 12 grand to buy both TVs, bring them home and do a side by side comparison of both I will have to go by what I see at BB, CC, etc.

Since you own a Pioneer plasma you are biased about which technology has the better PQ.

Since the 1080p plasma cost 2x as much and IMO I think the Sony 46" 1080p LCD has a better picture I am going to say the Pioneer is not worth the money. If you are insulted by this I cannot help that.
stchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 04:42 PM   #23  
No HD? We have a problem.
 
stchman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 52
Posts: 2,321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryet
Areas where a plasma typically beats a LCD:

color richness (this is a rather subjective things, but many prefer richness of the plasma)
black levels
pixel response time (if slow, you will see a blurred image on fast shots)
72 Hz refresh rate (eliminates juddering when viewing motion pictures - note this is new tech that even very few plasmas possess)
Yes, #1 is subject to human opinion.

As far as black levels, contrast ratio, etc. There is no standard way to accurately measure these.

Contrast ratio is a real subjective item. If there is any light in the room the human eye cannot discern between 500:1 and 5000:1.

The newest LCD flat panels have a response time af around 8ms which should be plenty fast enough.
stchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 04:51 PM   #24  
"Shitter was Full"
 
Bigloww's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: In a van, down by the river.
Posts: 8,321
Default

Man, did you see the 65'' Panasonic 1080p plasma at BB/Magnolia? Now that's a TV. That thing was freakin awesome! But they list it for 10K. I seen them being sold online for $7,500 with free shipping??

Contrast ratio is not a factor with plasma. It is still way way better than any LCD.
Bigloww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 05:07 PM   #25  
No HD? We have a problem.
 
stchman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 52
Posts: 2,321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigloww
Man, did you see the 65'' Panasonic 1080p plasma at BB/Magnolia? Now that's a TV. That thing was freakin awesome! But they list it for 10K. I seen them being sold online for $7,500 with free shipping??

Contrast ratio is not a factor with plasma. It is still way way better than any LCD.
I tried to look up that plasma on BB's website. I cannot find it. They have a 58" Panasonic 768p plasma.

Sorry BB has a separate online section for Magnolia items. 10K is steep for a TV.

The Sony Bravia 1080p 52" LCD flat panel was very impressive as well.
stchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 07:01 PM   #26  
1080 Optical Supporter
 
Type A's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Panama City, Fl
Age: 47
Posts: 2,723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stchman
Sony and Sharp make a 46" 1080p LCD flat panel. That is only 4" smaller than the Pioneer plasma and they are less than 1/2 the price. They have better PQ than the 1080p plasma.
This is bs, a lcd cannot create the deep inky blacks or shadow details you get with plasma, I dont care what lcd you use for your comparisons. BTW, I couldnt possibly be bias, Ive never owned a plasma, and probably never will

Last edited by Type A; 12-05-2006 at 07:05 PM..
Type A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 07:08 PM   #27  
1080 Optical Supporter
 
Type A's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Panama City, Fl
Age: 47
Posts: 2,723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stchman
The newest LCD flat panels have a response time af around 8ms which should be plenty fast enough.
Wow, this is also bs. Do you even own an lcd? Have you ever watched a sporting event on it? Smearing is STILL an issue for lcds, even with your "plenty fast enough" 8ms response time!
Type A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 07:10 PM   #28  
No HD? We have a problem.
 
stchman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 52
Posts: 2,321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type A
This is bs, a lcd cannot create the deep inky blacks or shadow details you get with plasma, I dont care what lcd you use for your comparisons. BTW, I couldnt possibly be bias, Ive never owned a plasma, and probably never will
Deep blacks is only one small component in PQ. The plasma might have 2% better blacks but that is because plasmas are not as bright as LCDs. LCDs have brighter more vivd colors than a plasma. You can't go wrong with either set, but for less than 1/2 the price I will take an LCD flat panel.
stchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 07:16 PM   #29  
1080 Optical Supporter
 
Type A's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Panama City, Fl
Age: 47
Posts: 2,723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stchman
LCDs have more vivd colors than a plasma.
LOL, again, this is complete bs. There is currently nothing on the market that compares to the color accuracy of a quality plasma panel.
Type A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 07:40 PM   #30  
No HD? We have a problem.
 
stchman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 52
Posts: 2,321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type A
LOL, again, this is complete bs. There is currently nothing on the market that compares to the color accuracy of a quality plasma panel.
Each of us has our own opinion on the matter. In the end it is in the eye of the beholder.

There are websites out there that state plasma better than LCD, other websites state LCD better than plasma. Opinions, opinions, opinions.

I will say again that at over double the price for 1080p LCDs are the clear winner hands down over plasma. I don't think you will argue that point with me.
stchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:39 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands