High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

High Definition News & Informative Articles Get the Latest High Definition News & Informative Articles Here! Please post newsworthy information here only! This forum is NOT for your first post. Thank you!

3D vs 2D; The chicken or the egg?

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2011, 01:40 PM   #91  
UNOTIS
 
unotis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: FLORIDA
Age: 64
Posts: 4,139
Default

Then don't and then everyone will be happy, you that don't want to enjoy it and the millions want to see and enjoy 3D films.

You'll still be able to see 2D versions since they will probably show the films both ways for quite some time.

But mark my words 3D is here to stay and will become bigger and bigger.

Last edited by unotis; 02-26-2011 at 01:44 PM..
unotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:49 PM   #92  
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 47,281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupnazi View Post
There are other eye complications that make it uncomfortable or won't allow a person to see 3D. Also, if your numbers were correct, to say that 90% of the population will considerably enjoy it is a little enthusiastic.
He should have said; "could" instead of; "would."

Quote:
Like Lee said, there are still people who haven't adopted HDTV. 3DTV right now is a niche of a niche. It doesn't make sense that 3D will be the dominant technology. It will be a feature and I don't want to have to pay for it.
Of course it's a niche. It's one year old. That is to be expected. Just like Color TV and HDTV were niches one year after launch.

If you want the very best HDTV, then you probably will have to pay for it. Just like if you don't want the IPTV feature. LOL - they probably cost the same to implement in the manufacturing process.

For anyone who doesn't want the 3DTV feature, then just don't buy the glasses. And if they give them to you with the purchase, just sell them off.
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:33 PM   #93  
UNOTIS
 
unotis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: FLORIDA
Age: 64
Posts: 4,139
Default

I don't believe you can refer to HDTV as a niche any longer, maybe not everyone watches nothing but high definition programing and watches a lot of SD programs, but it is becoming more and more available and will probably soon replace SD programing totally and remember you really cannot buy SD televisions any longer everything new is HDTV.

In the future probably every HDTV will be 3D capable IMHO.
unotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:23 PM   #94  
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 47,281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unotis View Post
I don't believe you can refer to HDTV as a niche any longer, maybe not everyone watches nothing but high definition programing and watches a lot of SD programs, but it is becoming more and more available and will probably soon replace SD programing totally and remember you really cannot buy SD televisions any longer everything new is HDTV.

In the future probably every HDTV will be 3D capable IMHO.
Unotis - we aren't even close to the decade that HD will replace SD, if it ever does.

Many of the existing HD channels aren't even delivering true HD content. Many are showing SD content that has been reframed and upconverted to HD. History Channel HD and History International Channel HD are the worst offenders of this. They do it all the time.
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:38 PM   #95  
Every day is Friday
 
oblioman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hooooterville
Posts: 9,279
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
Unotis - we aren't even close to the decade that HD will replace SD, if it ever does.

Many of the existing HD channels aren't even delivering true HD content. Many are showing SD content that has been reframed and upconverted to HD. History Channel HD and History International Channel HD are the worst offenders of this. They do it all the time.
beg to differ and say that Unotis be correct. It is not the CEM's at fault, but rather the media suppliers. Whatever fits the suppliers framework ($$$$$$) is what is provided. A vast majority of what is shot and recorded today is in HD and has substantionally replaced SD viewing,,,,,where the carriers permit. Does it cost more for the providers to transmit HD vs SD??? Nope. It may take up bandwidth so the providers have to drop junk channels,,,nothing wrong with that scenario except for the shareholders.
oblioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:19 PM   #96  
SD HURTS MY EYES
 
Stew4HD's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tejas Baby
Posts: 9,989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupnazi View Post
There are other eye complications that make it uncomfortable or won't allow a person to see 3D. Also, if your numbers were correct, to say that 90% of the population will considerably enjoy it is a little enthusiastic.

Like Lee said, there are still people who haven't adopted HDTV. 3DTV right now is a niche of a niche. It doesn't make sense that 3D will be the dominant technology. It will be a feature and I don't want to have to pay for it.
Do you use SAP, subtitles, the ability to plug in a USB thumb drive.. etc into your HDTV? If not, you are still paying for those features. I see 3D more of a feature like those things. In order to use the feature(s), you'd need another piece of equipment plugged into the TV.

How much mose it will add to the cost has yet to be seen.
Stew4HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:54 AM   #97  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 256
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unotis View Post
According to a study published by the Iowa Department of the Blind only about 4% of the population have the imbalance between focusing power and eye alignment although in another study they state that up to 9.2% of children in grade school have shown the same problem.

My opinion is although it is too bad that somewhere between 4 to 9% of the population will have trouble with 3D films and home television watching that is too small of a percentage to stop adoption by the over 90% of the population that will enjoy it considerably.
I'll grant you your 90% of the population- but what % of the population that can enjoy it are going to want to pay for it? And what percentage of the population goes out and buys a new TV before the old one cooks? I'll go out on a limb and say way less than 90%.

And there's some demographics involved- the under 30 crowd are going to be way more receptive to new technology than the over 60 crowd.

I hate to get into the prediction business again- as to what will be the "dominant" technology. But if history is any indication, 2D TV is going to be around long after I'm dead and buried.
hoorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:15 AM   #98  
mmmmm High Def
 
soupnazi's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unotis View Post
Then don't and then everyone will be happy, you that don't want to enjoy it and the millions want to see and enjoy 3D films.

You'll still be able to see 2D versions since they will probably show the films both ways for quite some time.

But mark my words 3D is here to stay and will become bigger and bigger.
It's not that I don't want to enjoy 3D, it's because I can't. I don't always have the option of 2D like you believe. If I don't have an option is everybody happy?

It's less likely that 3D blu-rays and other home media will be exclusive to 3D, but there's a chance that 3D discs could be included in every blu-ray package of certain titles and it would most definitely cost more. I wouldn't want to pay extra for that either.
soupnazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:05 AM   #99  
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 47,281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupnazi View Post
It's not that I don't want to enjoy 3D, it's because I can't. I don't always have the option of 2D like you believe. If I don't have an option is everybody happy?

It's less likely that 3D blu-rays and other home media will be exclusive to 3D, but there's a chance that 3D discs could be included in every blu-ray package of certain titles and it would most definitely cost more. I wouldn't want to pay extra for that either.
Yet today, if you purchase certain titles, you get not only the BD you wanted, but also a DVD and a digital copy.

If I buy certain 3D BD titles today, I also get a BD, a DVD and a DC, all of which I didn't want to have to pay for. I just wanted the 3D BD.
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:09 AM   #100  
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 47,281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblioman View Post
beg to differ and say that Unotis be correct. It is not the CEM's at fault, but rather the media suppliers. Whatever fits the suppliers framework ($$$$$$) is what is provided. A vast majority of what is shot and recorded today is in HD and has substantionally replaced SD viewing,,,,,where the carriers permit. Does it cost more for the providers to transmit HD vs SD??? Nope. It may take up bandwidth so the providers have to drop junk channels,,,nothing wrong with that scenario except for the shareholders.
It doesn't make a difference whose fault it is. SD will be with us for more years then you think. It may never go away.
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:17 AM   #101  
mmmmm High Def
 
soupnazi's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
Yet today, if you purchase certain titles, you get not only the BD you wanted, but also a DVD and a digital copy.

If I buy certain 3D BD titles today, I also get a BD, a DVD and a DC, all of which I didn't want to have to pay for. I just wanted the 3D BD.
Lose/Lose
soupnazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:31 AM   #102  
UNOTIS
 
unotis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: FLORIDA
Age: 64
Posts: 4,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupnazi View Post
It's not that I don't want to enjoy 3D, it's because I can't. I don't always have the option of 2D like you believe. If I don't have an option is everybody happy?

It's less likely that 3D blu-rays and other home media will be exclusive to 3D, but there's a chance that 3D discs could be included in every blu-ray package of certain titles and it would most definitely cost more. I wouldn't want to pay extra for that either.
Here every movie in the theaters are always shown in 2D and 3D if it is a 3D film so I'm not seeing anyone that wants to see the 2D version having any problem, if it is like that where you live that isn't fair.

I think soon every HDTV will have the capability to show 3D and since it will be available in every HDTV through economy of scale costs will balance out and you in essence will not be paying for the option.

And because of that ability they will in the future standardize every Blu-ray disc so the player/HDTV will play whichever version you want to watch off of one disc.

Something like cruise control on a new car at one time it was an option and you had to pay extra now it is standard on almost every vehicle you can buy and cost is so low that you really don't pay for it or at least so little you wouldn't object.

Last edited by unotis; 02-27-2011 at 11:35 AM..
unotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #103  
mmmmm High Def
 
soupnazi's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unotis View Post
Here every movie in the theaters are always shown in 2D and 3D if it is a 3D film so I'm not seeing anyone that wants to see the 2D version having any problem, if it is like that where you live that isn't fair.

I think soon every HDTV will have the capability to show 3D and since it will be available in every HDTV through economy of scale costs will balance out and you in essence will not be paying for the option.

And because of that ability they will in the future standardize every Blu-ray disc so the player/HDTV will play whichever version you want to watch off of one disc.

Something like cruise control on a new car at one time it was an option and you had to pay extra now it is standard on almost every vehicle you can buy and cost is so low that you really don't pay for it or at least so little you wouldn't object.
The reason I keep throwing my point of view in is to raise awareness. I called the movie theatres in my area and asked if they could show the 2D version on a couple of occasions. I just got the standard reply of "Sorry, I can't help you with that." All I can do is keep squeeking and maybe I'll get through someday.
I'm cautious of what might happen with the technology in the future and depending on how it plays out there could be scenarios that don't work in my favor.
soupnazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:55 PM   #104  
UNOTIS
 
unotis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: FLORIDA
Age: 64
Posts: 4,139
Default

Then in your case I would worry also and squeek as loud as I could.
unotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:14 PM   #105  
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 47,281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unotis View Post
Then in your case I would worry also and squeek as loud as I could.
It won't do any good. You are talking about money here and money speaks louder then anything else.

But it might work in the opposite direction. Asking for more 3D screens as opposed to less.
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:42 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands