High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

High Definition News & Informative Articles Get the Latest High Definition News & Informative Articles Here! Please post newsworthy information here only! This forum is NOT for your first post. Thank you!

3D vs 2D; The chicken or the egg?

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2011, 03:22 AM   #46  
SD HURTS MY EYES
 
Stew4HD's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tejas Baby
Posts: 9,989
Default

Double agreement! We all win twice!
Stew4HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:04 PM   #47  
mmmmm High Def
 
soupnazi's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,152
Default

As long as the 2D option isn't taken away, we all win.

With monoscopic vision, I used to enjoy watching the latest blockbuster movies in the theatre, but now a lot of the movies that benefit the most from the sound system and big screen of the theatre are playing in 3D only because of lack of screens to show in both 2D and 3D. Obviously the theatre will go with the version that makes them more profit.

At least this isn't the case with home theatres where the consumer does still have an option but maybe my point of view will give you some insight to why some people are outspoken against 3D. Everyone kept telling me that I would still have the option to view 2D movies in the theatre which I don't always have the option now.
soupnazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:02 AM   #48  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupnazi View Post
As long as the 2D option isn't taken away, we all win.

With monoscopic vision, I used to enjoy watching the latest blockbuster movies in the theatre, but now a lot of the movies that benefit the most from the sound system and big screen of the theatre are playing in 3D only because of lack of screens to show in both 2D and 3D. Obviously the theatre will go with the version that makes them more profit.

At least this isn't the case with home theatres where the consumer does still have an option but maybe my point of view will give you some insight to why some people are outspoken against 3D. Everyone kept telling me that I would still have the option to view 2D movies in the theatre which I don't always have the option now.
That is a very good point. There have been a few movies that I was planning on going to see only to find out it was only in 3D so I did not go to see them.
harls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:15 PM   #49  
SD HURTS MY EYES
 
Stew4HD's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tejas Baby
Posts: 9,989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
That is a very good point. There have been a few movies that I was planning on going to see only to find out it was only in 3D so I did not go to see them.
It's too bad you are so against 3D that you won't even watch a movie in the format.

I was skeptical after growing up with those awfule red/green glasses from the old days.. but after watching Avatar twice, Up and others in the new type of 3D, I was sold. The glasses are not as bad as so many on here and elsewhere let on.

IMO, some people are hating it just cuz it's different or feel they are being forced to watch it.

In my area, you can watch the movie in 3D or 2D..

What I find silly is those stating that they "are not about to sit around all day wearing those silly/ugly glasses"... I guess they can't take them off to watch a 2D program? I can't help but to shake my head at that type of thinking but the same people will sit all day with thise little headphones in their ears

Last edited by Stew4HD; 02-02-2011 at 12:19 PM..
Stew4HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:29 PM   #50  
UNOTIS
 
unotis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: FLORIDA
Age: 64
Posts: 4,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4HD View Post
It's too bad you are so against 3D that you won't even watch a movie in the format.

I was skeptical after growing up with those awfule red/green glasses from the old days.. but after watching Avatar twice, Up and others in the new type of 3D, I was sold. The glasses are not as bad as so many on here and elsewhere let on.

IMO, some people are hating it just cuz it's different or feel they are being forced to watch it.

In my area, you can watch the movie in 3D or 2D..

What I find silly is those stating that they "are not about to sit around all day wearing those silly/ugly glasses"... I guess they can't take them off to watch a 2D program? I can't help but to shake my head at that type of thinking but the same people will sit all day with thise little headphones in their ears
I feel the same way, the 3D glasses I wear I barely notice them while watching the film.

Although some people might be extremely sensitive to something like glasses, I know people that when they wear a tie you would think someone was strangling them they get so upset, where it doesn't bother me at all.

If they don't want to enjoy 3D because of the glasses then maybe something will change and they will come to enjoy the experience in the future, I just don't think the small percentage of the population that feels that way will hinder adoption by the broader market especially when cost and prices drop like they surely will.
unotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:50 AM   #51  
mmmmm High Def
 
soupnazi's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,152
Default

I viewed a couple of 3d movies in the theatre and I can understand the appeal even though I can't see 3d. I just wish more people could understand how different the movie theatre experience is from my point of view. The theatre in my neighborhood, which also has the best sound system, rarely shows the blockbusters in 2d now. Same goes for my next best option for theatres. Often the only theatres showing in 2d are the older ones or are too far away from me. Until this changes I will continue to be outspoken.
soupnazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:36 AM   #52  
SD HURTS MY EYES
 
Stew4HD's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tejas Baby
Posts: 9,989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupnazi View Post
I viewed a couple of 3d movies in the theatre and I can understand the appeal even though I can't see 3d. I just wish more people could understand how different the movie theatre experience is from my point of view. The theatre in my neighborhood, which also has the best sound system, rarely shows the blockbusters in 2d now. Same goes for my next best option for theatres. Often the only theatres showing in 2d are the older ones or are too far away from me. Until this changes I will continue to be outspoken.
I meant to exclude you and those people that cannot properly see 3D from my comment. Theaters should not leave out the 2D option unless the studio didn't create a 2D version. I am not sure it they do that or not.
Stew4HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:09 PM   #53  
mmmmm High Def
 
soupnazi's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4HD View Post
I meant to exclude you and those people that cannot properly see 3D from my comment. Theaters should not leave out the 2D option unless the studio didn't create a 2D version. I am not sure it they do that or not.
Yes, I can see your point of view and it's also a different story when talking about 3d television which this topic is more about. I'm just trying to be as outspoken as I can to help my cause.

The way i see the 3d experience at home, from an outside view, is that many won't consider watching tv with glasses at home just because of the idea of it. It's not as big of an issue in theatres because you are fixed into your seat on the crowded aisles for an entertainment event for approx 2 hours. Most like to stretch out at home. It's really comfortable and it's usually a different experience or mind set.
soupnazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:05 PM   #54  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
tvine2000's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: vermont
Posts: 1,275
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoorta View Post
Like I said earlier, whatever floats your boat. Guess what I'm really trying to say is if you went HD 8 years back (I did in 2004) and look at the market penetration of HD sets- Do they even sell SD anymore? to where we are in 2011- my crystal ball says 3D won't come anywhere close to that level 8 years down the road. Maybe I'm wrong- but personally, 3D in it's current state leaves me underwhelmed. Not into the occasional eye candy of something apparently floating a foot in front of my nose, and 75% of the rest looking quite 2D-ish.. Wake me up when they perfect holographic projection. Despite Uni's protestations- I did a quick survey at work today, and I'd say the majority of the folks polled have a similar opinion- and a bunch of them certainly have the discretionary income to buy 3D products.

Yeah, I can see if you're a hard-core gamer (I'm not) it would be really cool- that IMHO will certainly drive the market. The lack of standardization is going to scare a lot of people off- unless like some of the posters here- it's gotta have technology, and you don't particularly care how often you're going to be swapping out monitors to keep up.
From time to time we get people here, that claim they can see into the future. Using the term ''My Crystal ball''. Now lets be honest here, if you could see into the future, i don't think you would waste your time ,here! I think you would use your time to maybe control the planet or something huge, not wasting your time trying to make a point about 3d. Honestly no one really knows 3d's future. All you can really say is how 3D is doing right now, thats it. ''I think, or my crystal ball says'' really noting. What i see is the industry as a whole supports 3D. The CE'S are making the stuff, and the cable networks are stating to broadcast 3d programs, just as they did with HD! What happens next week or next year ,i have no idea. Stew has the right idea, when he wants to watch 3D he will put on the glasses, when watching 2D the glasses come off. Your posts i read, it seems to me ,you just don't like them glasses, so the 3D is doomed! thats the way it comes off.The beatles had a song called WITh IN YOU'' The line in the song was ''LIFE GOES ON WITHIN YOU ,OR WITH OUT YOU''. LIke it or not , 3d will go on without you, We heard the same banting during the format war, a few years ago and when Blu-ray won they said, it wouldn't last a year, and it cost to much etc, etc .etc! What happened, those guys are very silent now or they bought a blu-ray player. So my friend jump on the 3d bandwagon, or don't, but so far you have proven ...nothing.
tvine2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:29 PM   #55  
Rus
Vizio Really Does Rock!!!
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Age: 82
Posts: 212
Default

I Predict:

At some point in time (who knows?) all TV broadcasts, both OTA, satellite and cable will be in 3D. The new TVs will have the capability to view the source in 3D built into the screen. For older TV sets one will use glasses or view in 2D. No one will need glasses.

It will be accepted by all much as HD is now the norm; not the exception.
Rus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:41 PM   #56  
Every day is Friday
 
oblioman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hooooterville
Posts: 9,279
Default

netflix has 16 million subscribers. How many of those subscribers can watch 3D? Answer - 0.
oblioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:12 PM   #57  
SD HURTS MY EYES
 
Stew4HD's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tejas Baby
Posts: 9,989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblioman View Post
netflix has 16 million subscribers. How many of those subscribers can watch 3D? Answer - 0.
You are saying thet Netflix has NO 3D movies for rent?
Stew4HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:58 AM   #58  
Every day is Friday
 
oblioman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hooooterville
Posts: 9,279
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4HD View Post
You are saying thet Netflix has NO 3D movies for rent?
Unless you want to watch a severly crippled picture it simply is not possible with kable. Fios may have the bandwidth,,,but the data kaps being instituted will kill that. Me guess is that the industry is making a strong push to tweak the consumer for more $$ and we will see a tier of pay per bit. 3D would be spendy.
oblioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:03 AM   #59  
SD HURTS MY EYES
 
Stew4HD's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tejas Baby
Posts: 9,989
Default

You said, Netflix has 16 million subscribers and none can watch 3D. You are wrong, IMO, because I can have a 3D disc delivered to my house and I can watch it on my 3D system....
Stew4HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:13 AM   #60  
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 47,091
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblioman View Post
Unless you want to watch a severly crippled picture it simply is not possible with kable. Fios may have the bandwidth,,,but the data kaps being instituted will kill that. Me guess is that the industry is making a strong push to tweak the consumer for more $$ and we will see a tier of pay per bit. 3D would be spendy.
LOL - you have a 3DTV to make that kind of a judgement? Or are you just being a specs whore?

I can tell you first hand that your judgement is wrong. 3D on cable - live sports, can look very good.

But you go right ahead with your agenda - we all know what it is.
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:40 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands