High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

High Definition News & Informative Articles Get the Latest High Definition News & Informative Articles Here! Please post newsworthy information here only! This forum is NOT for your first post. Thank you!

What if Apple bought Sony?

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2010, 05:49 PM   #31  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
BeeF's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 1,245
Default

I think I proved my point perfectly and you still evade everything we say. Apple is clearly not number one it is fourth behind 3 PC companies. My main point is that Apple is not what the fan-boys make it out to be. They most certainly are excellent computers I completely agree with you on that but not excellent enough to justify the prices and that's my opinion. You have your opinion as well.

EDIT: I'm sorry I didn't mean to post the same thing twice, the website didn't something funny when I tried to post my previous one and I didn't think it actually went through.

Last edited by BeeF; 12-05-2010 at 08:24 PM..
BeeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:12 PM   #32  
Every day is Friday
 
oblioman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hooooterville
Posts: 9,279
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unotis View Post
Still you look for reasons to prove your point but don't actually find any, if you look Apple was also up there and I don't buy laptops, Apple laptops are expensive partially because they smaller and lighter many times, in fact Popular Science just reviewed the new MacBook air Laptops and gave them very high praise for quality lightness and function although they did bring up the price they decided they were worth it if you wanted the best and not just a basic computer for surfing the web.
And just what does an apple product perform better at then a PC?
oblioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:51 AM   #33  
PLS C SIG:
 
railven's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 16,501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unotis View Post
Minor point and even then they are slightly different sure one has 1 display port and a HDMI port the other has 2 display ports and 1 dual-link DVI port.

It would seem the Mac needs slightly different requirements and since they are different and specialized sure that particular part might cost a little more but if you have ever opened up a Apple the interior is very well put together and organized, probably better done then needed, most people couldn't care less they won't open it, but Apple has always put too much effort in every facet of design and manufacture.

This is the same old argument PC owners have tried to put forward for years, yet Apple computers are alway rated higher then the PC competition in most cases. higher satisfaction ratings also.
Again, blew my mind.

PC Version:
1xHDMI
1xDisplay Port
1xDual Link DVI

Mac Version:
2xDisplay Port
1xDual Link DVI

Price Difference ~$100.
Conclusion: Sure, Mac version MAY cost more, but have you ever opened them up? They're clean and shiney.



Should be repeated:

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Desktops-an...-Study-488979/

Another Monster Syndrome argument?
"It cost 3000% more than Monoprice cables so they must be better!"
railven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:25 PM   #34  
I'm Fabulous.
 
awol's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeF View Post
My main point is that Apple is not what the fan-boys make it out to be. They most certainly are excellent computers I completely agree with you on that but not excellent enough to justify the prices and that's my opinion. You have your opinion as well.

EDIT: I'm sorry I didn't mean to post the same thing twice, the website didn't something funny when I tried to post my previous one and I didn't think it actually went through.
Yes, I am a fanboy. And yes, I will always contend that Apple products are better.

*Disclaimer obviously, these are my opinions

They're seemingly better assembled leading to longer life.
They're running a better and easier to use OS than Windows.
They're packing it with user-friendly software to help make the most of the content you store on computer.

But most importantly. They are extremely well designed. And yes, I'm talking purely about aesthetics here. There is not a single OEM on the planet that makes a better looking computer product. And good design isn't cheap. This is not a computer that you have to hide away in a cabinet. The mouse, keyboard and units themselves are extremely aesthetically pleasing and excellent examples of good design. And like I said, that quality isn't cheap and is worth the extra money to me.
awol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:33 PM   #35  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
BeeF's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 1,245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol View Post
Yes, I am a fanboy. And yes, I will always contend that Apple products are better.

*Disclaimer obviously, these are my opinions

They're seemingly better assembled leading to longer life.
They're running a better and easier to use OS than Windows.
They're packing it with user-friendly software to help make the most of the content you store on computer.

But most importantly. They are extremely well designed. And yes, I'm talking purely about aesthetics here. There is not a single OEM on the planet that makes a better looking computer product. And good design isn't cheap. This is not a computer that you have to hide away in a cabinet. The mouse, keyboard and units themselves are extremely aesthetically pleasing and excellent examples of good design. And like I said, that quality isn't cheap and is worth the extra money to me.
I agree with you completely, they make some of the coolest looking best feeling computers out there, they really are well built. That's where we differ though, I don't find that it's worth it.

That's part of what I think makes Apple so successful: everything they make is outrageously pleasing to the eye. That and the fact that Apple is "in", no offense, I'm not calling anybody conformist here.

Last edited by BeeF; 12-06-2010 at 02:38 PM..
BeeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:39 PM   #36  
I'm Fabulous.
 
awol's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeF View Post
I agree with you completely, they make some of the coolest looking best feeling computers out there, they really are well built. That's where we differ though, I don't find that it's worth it.

That's part of what I think makes Apple so successful: everything they make is outrageously pleasing to the eye. That and the fact that Apple is "in", no offense, I'm not calling anybody conformist here.
None taken. I've been a fanboy since LONG before they were hip.
awol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:51 PM   #37  
UNOTIS
 
unotis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: FLORIDA
Age: 64
Posts: 4,139
Default

My first College degree was in Computer Science and I've used Apple/MacIntosh computers since 1984 when the first one with GUI came out and changed personal computing forever along with a great number of windows computers.

And all the present Apple computers can run both Windows and Mac OS natively, so if you need to run any program available then the Mac can do that, try that with a Dell or Sony computer, is that ability worth the Mac name for anyone who uses computers a lot across platforms then you had better believe it.
unotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #38  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
BeeF's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 1,245
Default

What can a Mac do that my PC can't that would make want to run both OS's?
BeeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:50 PM   #39  
Every day is Friday
 
oblioman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hooooterville
Posts: 9,279
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeF View Post
What can a Mac do that my PC can't that would make want to run both OS's?
Lighten yer wallet.
oblioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:24 PM   #40  
UNOTIS
 
unotis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: FLORIDA
Age: 64
Posts: 4,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeF View Post
What can a Mac do that my PC can't that would make want to run both OS's?
If you cannot understand the benefits then you don't need to use programs not available for your OS, I use both Mac and Windows OS often, I find it nice not to have to have 2 computers to do my work.

There are thousands of programs out there and many of those will not work with one or the other OS, with my computer I don't need to worry about it because I have it already that ability to use any of them.
unotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:46 PM   #41  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
BeeF's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 1,245
Default

I don't think my supposed ignorance regarding this has anything to do with you not coming up with a legitimate example. I understand the benefits of such abilities but is it really as beneficial as you say it is? Any programs that might not work for whichever OS often have a twin made by a different publisher that does the exact same thing and works for whatever OS the other doesn't.

Last edited by BeeF; 12-06-2010 at 04:52 PM..
BeeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:01 PM   #42  
I'm Fabulous.
 
awol's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeF View Post
I don't think my supposed ignorance regarding this has anything to do with you not coming up with a legitimate example. I understand the benefits of such abilities but is it really as beneficial as you say it is? Any programs that might not work for whichever OS often have a twin made by a different publisher that does the exact same thing and works for whatever OS the other doesn't.
We already covered this. It's because it's prettier.




awol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:55 PM   #43  
Every day is Friday
 
oblioman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hooooterville
Posts: 9,279
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol View Post
We already covered this. It's because it's prettier.




and heavier. Got me an old powermac out in the garage,,damn thing was useless until me used it to prop up a heavy table. Dual boot (win95 and os 7),,,slowest pos me ever owned. Been PC ever since. But in reality,,both have their benefits and downfalls. For chaps like me,,a PC fits the bill much better simply because of their adapability. Don't give a shit if they be pretty,,,don't give a shit if they be the shiny in-thing. Vanity is not me vice. But do give a shit about performance in a rig that me can build and tweak. Apple is just too proprietary. Acting like it's something special,,,when it's not.
oblioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:47 AM   #44  
HD makes my pants tight
Thread Starter
 
Superman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 2,804
Default

Apple too proprietary? Huh?

I've added/upgraded a couple of HDDs, added more RAM, and installed an LG BD writer into my Mac Tower, and none of these items were proprietary or more expensive than any part you could put in a PC, because both Macs and PCs take the same kinds of parts. I don't have any special "Mac" version of any hardware, and that hasn't been an issue since Jobs came back and Apple rolled out those blue and white G3's and iMacs.

Silly comments like that just sound like fanboy arguments from 1995.

I'd also like to remind the naysayers that part of the extra cost in owning a Mac comes from the R&D Apple invests in for its own OS. Dell, HP, and the like aren't doing that. If Dell were to decide one day to get off the MS teat and develop their own OS, you can be sure their prices would go up.

Last edited by Superman; 12-07-2010 at 08:52 AM..
Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:21 AM   #45  
I'm Fabulous.
 
awol's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblioman View Post
and heavier.
Heft is a sign of solid build quality.

Although yes, the early PowerMacs were definitely slow. But so were PC's comparatively at the time.
awol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to What if Apple bought Sony?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The New Nielsen Pie Chart Lee Stewart High Definition Media 4273 03-29-2011 04:49 AM
NXE loses Sony Netflix titles Cygnus Gaming & Systems 60 11-21-2008 10:23 PM
Sears sells out of $179 Blu-ray player Bravestime High Definition Media 184 11-21-2008 02:34 PM
Blu supporters only - have you recently gone purple? Deja Vu High Definition Media 26 02-10-2008 02:50 PM
Blu Ray Question - thinking about purchasing... NEWHDGUY Blu-Ray and Ultra HD Blu-Ray Players 40 12-10-2007 10:28 AM
New HD DVD Milestone ... MidnightWatche High Definition Media 124 07-13-2007 07:47 AM
Sony Should Be Sued!!! falcondan95705 High Definition Media 39 12-22-2006 08:02 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:00 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands