High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

High Definition Media A place to discuss BD and UHD Content from physical and digital media

US$150 white-box Blu-ray Disc players available in 2009, paper says

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2009, 12:17 PM   #1  
Supporter of HiDef
Thread Starter
 
Bravestime's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Aiken, SC
Age: 63
Posts: 4,510
Arrow US$150 white-box Blu-ray Disc players available in 2009, paper says

Quote:
Following an intensive price war to promote sales of Blu-ray Disc (BD) players amid international brands in the US and European markets prior to Christmas 2008, white-box vendors are likely to offer BD player models for sale at US$150 in 2009, according to the Chinese-language newspaper Economic Daily News (EDN).

In addition to white-box vendors, Lite-On IT, the largest Taiwan-based maker of half-height optical disc drives, plans to offer BD players also for sale at about US$150, EDN indicated.

Five million BD players were sold around the world in 2008 and the sales volume for this year will increase to 11 million units, EDN quoted forecast by Taiwan-based Topology Research Institute as indicating.
Link: http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20090203PB200.html
Bravestime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:23 PM   #2  
Supporter of HiDef
Thread Starter
 
Bravestime's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Aiken, SC
Age: 63
Posts: 4,510
Default

Quote:
Recession-busting $150 Blu-ray players coming this year

If digital distribution is going to be held off for another year, Blu-ray players are going to need to achieve some serious market penetration at a rather difficult time. VIZIO's $200 VBR100 should help when it releases in a few months, but could be quickly undercut by a predicted flood of $150 drives said to be inbound from a number of other industry players, including Lite-On. These "white-box" drives will probably be short on features, but so too were the cheap DVD players that killed off the VCR, and nobody thought twice about that. If all goes according to plan look for stacks of inexpensive drives to start appearing at whatever retailers are still in business later this year.
Link: http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/02/03...ing-this-year/
Bravestime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:26 PM   #3  
HD Elitist
 
hatt's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: FL
Age: 44
Posts: 6,300
Default

In before the "they better have BD-Live or else" crowd.
hatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:28 PM   #4  
Nikopol
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

goal posts have been moved anyway
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:38 PM   #5  
HD Elitist
 
hatt's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: FL
Age: 44
Posts: 6,300
Default

Note to HDF, remove wheels from goalposts.
hatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:48 PM   #6  
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 47,437
Default

Quote:
These "white-box" drives will probably be short on features, but so too were the cheap DVD players that killed off the VCR, and nobody thought twice about that.
Other than the DTS and DL issues (which were gone by the 2nd year) - all DVD players were able to handle all of the features on a DVD unless it was otherwise specified ( DVD-ROM for PC features)

The same cannot be said for:

BD Live
Analog Outputs with internal decoding (avoids the requirement to buy a new receiver if AI's)

But as we know - not everyone:

A. understands the difference between 1.1 and 2.0
B. cares about having 2.0

And we have already seen $129 priced BD players.
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:57 PM   #7  
HD Elitist
 
hatt's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: FL
Age: 44
Posts: 6,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
Analog Outputs with internal decoding (avoids the requirement to buy a new receiver if AI's)
Any BD player will work with any receiver bought during the last ten years, you just lose lossless. I bought a nice $1000 Yamaha Pro-Logic receiver around 95-96. Tell me how well those go together with a DVD player. That was a much more massive screwing back then.
hatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:05 PM   #8  
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 47,437
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatt View Post
Any BD player will work with any receiver bought during the last ten years, you just lose lossless. I bought a nice $1000 Yamaha Pro-Logic receiver around 95-96. Tell me how well those go together with a DVD player. That was a much more massive screwing back then.
Such a trivial thing.



You can blame DTS. They were the ones that screwed you - not DVD or the DVD Forum. DTS missed the boat on launch date. Their work was not finished so it was added at a latter date.
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:17 PM   #9  
HD Elitist
 
hatt's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: FL
Age: 44
Posts: 6,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
Such a trivial thing.



You can blame DTS. They were the ones that screwed you - not DVD or the DVD Forum. DTS missed the boat on launch date. Their work was not finished so it was added at a latter date.
Ummmm, we're talking about having to replace receivers for new formats("avoids the requirement to buy a new receiver"). The move from Pro-Logic ---> 5.1 = much more need to upgrade your equipment v DD/DTS ---> lossless.
hatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:43 PM   #10  
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 47,437
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatt View Post
Ummmm, we're talking about having to replace receivers for new formats("avoids the requirement to buy a new receiver"). The move from Pro-Logic ---> 5.1 = much more need to upgrade your equipment v DD/DTS ---> lossless.
Here is the thing hatt. We are now at Feb. 3, 2009. That is all we should be concerned with.

And AFAIK - most DD/DTS receivers do have Analog Inputs.

There are IMO, 4 big features assoicated with BD:

1. HD
2. Lossless Audio
3. PIP
4. BD Live.

Buying a cheap BD 1.1 player (and nothing else) - you lose 2 of the 4.
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:01 PM   #11  
HD Elitist
 
hatt's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: FL
Age: 44
Posts: 6,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
Here is the thing hatt. We are now at Feb. 3, 2009. That is all we should be concerned with.

And AFAIK - most DD/DTS receivers do have Analog Inputs.
That's the point, DD/DTS receivers didn't come along until 96 or so, If you had an earlier receiver you were screwed and stuck with ProLogic and totally missed out on 5.1 unless you fork over the dough for a new receiver.

Quote:
There are IMO, 4 big features assoicated with BD:

1. HD
2. Lossless Audio
3. PIP
4. BD Live.

Buying a cheap BD 1.1 player (and nothing else) - you lose 2 of the 4.
IMO(and yours apparently) most people are going to be after HD, which all players cover. Lossless means nothing to a large portion of consumers since they don't have the equipment to take advantage of lossless if they even know what it is; or they may have a receiver that decodes lossless and they're still fine with the cheap player. If you want BD live, don't buy the cheap players. Once again we are at the "players are expensive, but lets don't sell cheaper ones because every player must do everything." It's like the BD movies are too expensive and the price needs to come down but while we're at it lets make all BDs BD/DVD combos that cost more."
hatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:06 PM   #12  
Hidef Junkie
 
ack_bak's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
Here is the thing hatt. We are now at Feb. 3, 2009. That is all we should be concerned with.

And AFAIK - most DD/DTS receivers do have Analog Inputs.

There are IMO, 4 big features assoicated with BD:

1. HD
2. Lossless Audio
3. PIP
4. BD Live.

Buying a cheap BD 1.1 player (and nothing else) - you lose 2 of the 4.
- I would argue that most people that care about audio and have a good enough system to really tell the difference (but don't have an HDMI capable receiver) are most likely going to get a BD player that supports analog out and will be willing to pay more. The upcoming Vizio will have analog outs and the MSRP will be $199 (expect a $149 street price or lower not too far after launch).

- Even if you do pickup a BD player that does not have analog outs and plug it into your legacy AV receiver via toslink/coaxial cable you are still going to hear a noticeable improvement on most BD discs vs DVD since Blu-Ray discs are authored with higher bitrate lossy encodes ([email protected], [email protected]).

- We know that there are plenty of people that don't care about BD Live (or PiP for that matter).

- Many of these cheaper 1.1 players will be great secondary BD players for rooms that do not have AV receivers or nice surround sound speakers or Internet access. I would definitely consider one for my bedroom/office.
ack_bak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:08 PM   #13  
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 47,437
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatt View Post
That's the point, DD/DTS receivers didn't come along until 96 or so, If you had an earlier receiver you were screwed and stuck with ProLogic and totally missed out on 5.1 unless you fork over the dough for a new receiver.
That was 12 years ago. A lifetime in CE Land.

Quote:
IMO(and yours apparently) most people are going to be after HD, which all players cover. Lossless means nothing to a large portion of consumers since they don't have the equipment to take advantage of lossless if they even know what it is; or they may have a receiver that decodes lossless and they're still fine with the cheap player. If you want BD live, don't buy the cheap players. Once again we are at the "players are expensive, but lets don't sell cheaper ones because every player must do everything."
But many DO have the equipment to take advantage of LA. Whether they are aware of it - that remains to be seen. I believe that last stat we saw said that 28% (?) of HDTV owners had a 5.1 sound system to go with it. That's about 11 million households (USA).

And we can see that the difference between a cheapee white box 1.1 BD player and a Vizio 2.0 with AO's is $50 (MSRP).

$50 is expensive?

This is the same $50 that showed up BFW - $129 versus $179 (1.1 versus 2.0)
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:32 PM   #14  
Supporter of HiDef
Thread Starter
 
Bravestime's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Aiken, SC
Age: 63
Posts: 4,510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
That was 12 years ago. A lifetime in CE Land.



But many DO have the equipment to take advantage of LA. Whether they are aware of it - that remains to be seen. I believe that last stat we saw said that 28% (?) of HDTV owners had a 5.1 sound system to go with it. That's about 11 million households (USA).

And we can see that the difference between a cheapee white box 1.1 BD player and a Vizio 2.0 with AO's is $50 (MSRP).

$50 is expensive?

This is the same $50 that showed up BFW - $129 versus $179 (1.1 versus 2.0)
And 72% Do NOT have a 5.1 surround. Good reason to sell cheaper BD players. Why expect ALL consumers to pay for features they don't want or need? Which is the point in the OP bold statement, IMO.
Bravestime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:34 PM   #15  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,730
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyDC View Post
And if you bring out DVD's performance in its early years he'll accuse you of 'living in the past.'
lol
DonnyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to US$150 white-box Blu-ray Disc players available in 2009, paper says
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
$200 Blu Ray Players venomxr8 High Definition Media 31 02-29-2008 05:06 AM
Blu ray vs hd dvd blu ray a winner lcjjm Blu-Ray and Ultra HD Blu-Ray Players 56 12-18-2007 06:48 PM
Blu Ray Players playing DVDs connerc_37 Blu-Ray and Ultra HD Blu-Ray Players 11 12-03-2007 11:03 PM
Use of blu ray drive equipped computers to record HDTV. eddiem High Definition Receivers, Recorders, Players, Tivos 0 05-23-2007 04:21 PM
Used HD DVD and Blu Ray Disc Market FOILFRESH High Definition Media 0 10-02-2006 01:41 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:45 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands