High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

High Definition Media A place to discuss BD and UHD Content from physical and digital media

Format War May Be Over, but High-Definition DVD Still Faces Challenges [ABI Research]

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2008, 01:27 PM   #16  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,968
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRox View Post
well, if they don't have upscalers, and won't pay the price for the upgrade, by that logic Blu-ray is screwed.
Indeed, all HDTV manufacturers should put all R&D projects on halt cause no one is taking advantage of better picture.
ssjLancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:34 PM   #17  
Connoisseur of Fine Games
 
MikeRox's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Posts: 15,756
Default

Indeed, shall we shut the forum down too?
MikeRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:39 PM   #18  
HD Elitist
 
hatt's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: FL
Age: 44
Posts: 6,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRox View Post
well, if they don't have upscalers, and won't pay the price for the upgrade, by that logic Blu-ray is screwed.
This group may be a lot like the HDTV people who get SD programming just because they don't know any better. A DVD player is a DVD player. There could be some kind of BD market in this group of people IMO.
hatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:41 PM   #19  
Connoisseur of Fine Games
 
MikeRox's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Posts: 15,756
Default

which loops back round to my post in a different thread "push Blu-ray"
MikeRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:51 PM   #20  
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare View Post
If you still have any original vintage DVDs, the quality was really bad, even by the standards of the day. Not just because of the existing transfers done for VHS, but edge enhancement and compression artifacts made some of them look abyssmal. It was better than VHS in some ways, but worse in others, and generally a wash. And then a lot of original DVD players didn't even have s-video output. That was a special feature to look for.

But people took to DVD anyway, because it was a superior product. Picture quality just kind of came on its own, as the technology grew into its potential.
That is how I remembered SD DVD starting out as well. The PQ improvement was nothing compared to how much better SD DVDs look today. Now the sound improvement was the big thing for me as well as the convenience of not rewinding or having the PQ on VHS getting worse with each time you watched it back then.

Others that do not remember (or were not old enough) that SD DVD didn't look that much better than VHS in the beginning will give more weight to the PQ improvement as the reason for SD DVD's success, but that came with time and wasn't there in the beginning.
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:56 PM   #21  
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatt View Post
This group may be a lot like the HDTV people who get SD programming just because they don't know any better. A DVD player is a DVD player. There could be some kind of BD market in this group of people IMO.
In some ways, BD being backward compatible with SD DVD is a blessing, but in other ways it is a hindrance IMO.

Sure having it backward compatible makes the transition smoother and allows people to just buy a BD player when their SD DVD player dies, but it also means that people will likely not feel the need to replace the current library in the new format.

Which is more important for the new format to take off? Who knows, but I think that was part of the reason that SD DVD did such high volumes of sales to some degree the more I think about it.
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:16 PM   #22  
HD Elitist
 
hatt's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: FL
Age: 44
Posts: 6,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC5 View Post
In some ways, BD being backward compatible with SD DVD is a blessing, but in other ways it is a hindrance IMO.

Sure having it backward compatible makes the transition smoother and allows people to just buy a BD player when their SD DVD player dies, but it also means that people will likely not feel the need to replace the current library in the new format.

Which is more important for the new format to take off? Who knows, but I think that was part of the reason that SD DVD did such high volumes of sales to some degree the more I think about it.
I don't feel the need to replace my DVDs. I do feel the need for new purchases to be BD until it is replaced by something better. I don't think everyone has to replace what they have in order for BD to be successful. I never replaced many of my VHS collection with DVD although that collection is now in serious need of replacement since my VCR looks bad on my LCD. So the replacing I will be doing will mostly be VHS.
hatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:53 PM   #23  
Connoisseur of Fine Games
 
MikeRox's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Posts: 15,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatt View Post
I don't feel the need to replace my DVDs. I do feel the need for new purchases to be BD until it is replaced by something better.
Thats part of the reason it's expected BD will never truly offset DVD. I do believe BD will become big for day and date releases though, I just don't think the demand will be there for catalogue titles in significant numbers.
MikeRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:00 AM   #24  
Nikopol
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatt View Post
I don't feel the need to replace my DVDs. I do feel the need for new purchases to be BD until it is replaced by something better. I don't think everyone has to replace what they have in order for BD to be successful. I never replaced many of my VHS collection with DVD although that collection is now in serious need of replacement since my VCR looks bad on my LCD. So the replacing I will be doing will mostly be VHS.
Personally i don't feel the need to replace my DVDs of so-so films, mostly impulse buys that i have picked up for cheap. But i will definitely want to replace all my DVDs of films i really like. I will not buy them during the first weeks after release, but once i come across a sale i'll get them. They need to have a decent HighDef transfer though, like e.g. Predator.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:13 AM   #25  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 949
Default

The difference between DVD and VHS was one was rectangular and thick while other was circular and flat. That in itself was difference enough to warrant a switch. Of course there was a difference in PQ too. Now look at DVD vs. HD-DVD/Blu-Ray. They right out the bat look the same. Plus some people will diagree as to the difference in PQ quality between them. I think lots of people will be incline to jump to HD-DVD/ Blu-Ray as oppose to they did with DVDs. Just my opinion.
dontknowjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:17 AM   #26  
Smarter than the ave bear
 
crazyal's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontknowjack View Post
The difference between DVD and VHS was one was rectangular and thick while other was circular and flat. That in itself was difference enough to warrant a switch. Of course there was a difference in PQ too. Now look at DVD vs. HD-DVD/Blu-Ray. They right out the bat look the same. Plus some people will diagree as to the difference in PQ quality between them. I think lots of people will be incline to jump to HD-DVD/ Blu-Ray as oppose to they did with DVDs. Just my opinion.
I was wondering when someone was going to say it. By 2000 I had so much room tied up storing VHS tapes that I had no choice but to switch over. I had tapes stored in closets that never saw the light of day just because once they ended up in the closet it was too much work to sort through to find something I wanted to watch.

TBH I kind of passed that phase of my life. I don't buy movies like I use to (nor do I buy CDs). It has to be a movie I really think I'll watch several times otherwise I don't bother, I wonder how many others feel this way too. Kind of like the rental fad. For a short time renting movies was a huge moneymaker around here (back in the VHS days). Then it died off. Now it's OK but nothing like it had been.
crazyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:21 AM   #27  
Don't touch the remote!
 
The_Omega_Man's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Encino,CA
Posts: 3,489
Default

To J6P a disc is just a disc be it DVD, HD DVD or Blu-Ray! There is really nothing fundamentally new or original to J6P, that would compel them to go out and spend $300+ for a player plus $24-$40 just to have another disc to watch a move with!

I hear it from other shoppers all the time, when I am in either BB or Fry's. "Oh that's the Blu-ray thing. Looks nice, but we don't need to spend that much, just to watch a movie!"
The_Omega_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:28 AM   #28  
Official HDF BD Reviewer
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mississippi, U.S.A. Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert
Posts: 9,657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Omega_Man View Post
To J6P a disc is just a disc be it DVD, HD DVD or Blu-Ray! There is really nothing fundamentally new or original to J6P, that would compel them to go out and spend $300+ for a player plus $24-$40 just to have another disc to watch a move with!

I hear it from other shoppers all the time, when I am in either BB or Fry's. "Oh that's the Blu-ray thing. Looks nice, but we don't need to spend that much, just to watch a movie!"
I totally agree with you Omega. Just look at the number of people browsing SD DVD compared to BD when you go in Best Buy or Circuit City. There will be 1 person in the Blu-rays and 8 over in the SD DVDs.
HD Goofnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:11 AM   #29  
Connoisseur of Fine Games
 
MikeRox's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Posts: 15,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
I totally agree with you Omega. Just look at the number of people browsing SD DVD compared to BD when you go in Best Buy or Circuit City. There will be 1 person in the Blu-rays and 8 over in the SD DVDs.
I'm more than used to being the lone HDM browser in my town I remember being mocked in one store for buying a Blu-ray and a HD DVD at the same time.
MikeRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:14 PM   #30  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
I totally agree with you Omega. Just look at the number of people browsing SD DVD compared to BD when you go in Best Buy or Circuit City. There will be 1 person in the Blu-rays and 8 over in the SD DVDs.
I just don't see BD going anywhere - its a cost thing. The masses just aren't going to spend $30 for a disc that is only marginally better, let alone $300+ for a player. If the price of the media were equal - probably a different story then
hwks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to Format War May Be Over, but High-Definition DVD Still Faces Challenges [ABI Research]
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BLOG:Whole Blu World: The Format War's Bloody Aftermath Lee Stewart High Definition Media 102 03-19-2008 11:37 AM
HD DVD Is Still Standing, The Format War Not Over Yet Says HD DVD Promo Group. neal77 High Definition Media 55 02-29-2008 03:57 AM
Blu-Ray Scores Big in Format War, But It Ain't Over Despite Money and Exaggeration HNH High Definition Media 50 01-18-2008 01:41 AM
In the DVD War Over High Definition, Most Buyers Are Sitting It Out Lee Stewart High Definition Media 28 01-01-2008 08:36 PM
10 Reasons Why High Def DVD Formats Have Already Failed borromini HD DVD Players and Discs 19 12-04-2007 04:37 PM
10 Reasons Why High Definition DVD Formats Have Already Failed mayank High Definition News & Informative Articles 67 03-12-2007 02:38 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:47 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands