High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

High Definition Media A place to discuss BD and UHD Content from physical and digital media

ROLL CALL: HD DVD supporters that bought Blu

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2008, 04:39 AM   #16  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 464
Default

I like it
CapBBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:24 AM   #17  
SD HURTS MY EYES
 
Stew4HD's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tejas Baby
Posts: 9,989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Omega_Man View Post
Sorry! I'm not buying into this concept no matter how many times I have to read it on the various forums. The only thing Toshiba and HD DVD has, "Lost," at this point, is some pride!

If Toshiba or ALL of the remaining studios, ever announce that they are calling it quits on HD DVD, then I will accept it, without an issue.



You made my last point here as well. It really is all about the movies and the move watching experience. HD DVD offers the best of this today. IMHO. Something else will tomorrow! The medium on which the movie experience is delivered, is only really relevant to the consumer, for the moment.

Do I think that HD DVD is the best delivery platform available today, for an HD movie watching experience? Of course I do!

If and when Blu-Ray, Shmu-Ray or No-Ray can exceed that which HD DVD can currently deliver to me, in a finished and fully standardize format, then I may decide to invest in that technology as well. Until then, I'll stick with that which works consistently!
QFT!

Damn, it sure is nice to see level headedness! Thanks Omega!

As if it really matters in this somewhat useless thread, I have had a PS3 since last Jan.
Stew4HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:49 AM   #18  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Chris Gerhard's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,947
Default

For whatever reason many HD DVD supporters congregated here and many undecided consumers came by and some believed the nonsense repeated here, first about HD DVD superiority and then about the chances HD DVD had of doing anything other than being second best in a small market. Most people that purchased an HD DVD player are like me and understood the risk and the high probability that HD DVD would either die quickly or survive as a tiny niche format. For the small group that bought HD DVD believing something better was possible, then they are likely upset and might not buy Blu-ray at all, I don't know.

I tried to present the reasons I believed I knew for certain what would happen, one of two things, for a year or so. I have been thanked a few times in the past, although mostly I have been disparaged here without causing me any grief so I continued to offer my opinions which are based on my 35 years of participation as a consumer, often early adopter and huge enthusiast of home audio video.

A few will stick to their guns, based entirely on emotion in my opinion and never logic, and will stay with HD DVD and never buy Blu-ray. So what, that is a tiny group and they won't be missed. Some that have claimed they will never change their mind, will change and buy Blu-ray soon or later, great we need them. After owning both formats for a while, I can state with absolute certainty the claims here that HD DVD is better are hogwash, there is an entirely emotional reason for that belief. I was prepared to live with both for the duration and at times thought that might be the most likely outcome, but what we will see going forward is going to be so much better than that would have been.

Chris
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:24 AM   #19  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 274
Default

I was purple from day 1, as soon as PS3 launched in UK I was gonna get one and I did. I prefer HD DVD always have just a shame best format for the people looses out.
popyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:28 AM   #20  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Dr. Jones's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 668
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare View Post
Format is irrelevant after you rip them.
Now if only they'll start selling exabyte drives at $200.00 a pop or less so we can actually store all our HD movies. hehe

I own both types. I prefer HD DVD. My family is one of those "rare" breeds that actually enjoy extras, making of documentaries, Ime, and the possibilities of what Web enabled content could have brought us. I can fully understand why a person might choose to forego another delve into the Hi-Def game until it is assured of success because it's not "just" about HD, it's also about bank accounts, priorities, value, and.... Extras. I have many hobbies and if my budget were tight and I didn't already own a blu player, then it would probably be far, far, down my list of things I needed to buy. (as it happens, my budget IS tight right now, but as I said I already own a player). There are actually many reasons not to buy an HD player and all of them are valid.

The best reason I've seen and heard though is that DVD is pretty great as it is, and I cannot argue with that fact. Though I am sure some of you could. Let's face it, DVD players are cheap, DVD movies are cheap, the format is successful, it offers tons of extras, has no firmware updates to contend with, most recent DVDs upscale quite nicely, we can easily rip DVDs to our HDDs, and we already own all the software required to interact with DVD (Rip, Record, Author).

What's HD got that can compete with all of that? A slightly to moderately improved picture and much better sound, but in every other way it loses out. I see Blu-ray and HD DVD succeeding as a storage format (maybe) down the road, but I think as a movie format, it has failed. The BDA will take too long getting their collective shit together to make any real headway against DVD.

Last edited by Dr. Jones; 01-09-2008 at 06:52 AM..
Dr. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:05 AM   #21  
It's the Cup Or BUST!!
 
kbaker2002de's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
For whatever reason many HD DVD supporters congregated here and many undecided consumers came by and some believed the nonsense repeated here, first about HD DVD superiority and then about the chances HD DVD had of doing anything other than being second best in a small market. Most people that purchased an HD DVD player are like me and understood the risk and the high probability that HD DVD would either die quickly or survive as a tiny niche format. For the small group that bought HD DVD believing something better was possible, then they are likely upset and might not buy Blu-ray at all, I don't know.

I tried to present the reasons I believed I knew for certain what would happen, one of two things, for a year or so. I have been thanked a few times in the past, although mostly I have been disparaged here without causing me any grief so I continued to offer my opinions which are based on my 35 years of participation as a consumer, often early adopter and huge enthusiast of home audio video.

A few will stick to their guns, based entirely on emotion in my opinion and never logic, and will stay with HD DVD and never buy Blu-ray. So what, that is a tiny group and they won't be missed. Some that have claimed they will never change their mind, will change and buy Blu-ray soon or later, great we need them. After owning both formats for a while, I can state with absolute certainty the claims here that HD DVD is better are hogwash, there is an entirely emotional reason for that belief. I was prepared to live with both for the duration and at times thought that might be the most likely outcome, but what we will see going forward is going to be so much better than that would have been.

Chris
Chris you were great at posting your emotional and logical arguements for buying Blu but have been rendered less effective by your pig-headed refusal to acknowledge when anyone else had a valid arguement you disagreed with.

Anyway, I almost bought the A2 in the summer with some bonus money from work but did not. I was able to get my parents to snag one on clearance as my Christmas gift and love it. As you said, Toshiba built a solid machine. Anyway, I prefer HD DVD as I think it is the best all-around format. I will continue to buy HD DVD for now, and get some SD DVD's as the A2 is a fine upconverting player as well.

As for BD, I will buy eventually but not for a couple years. The technology is not as mature as it needs to be, and the price is too high. Now before Chris get's on his high-you should feel privilige it only costs $500-horse, I have a baby boy at home and we are talking about expanding our family. At this point in time BD is too expensive of a toy to be worth the money. HD is cool and I love home theater, but my priorities lie elsewhere.

Come talk to me in 2 years or so when Tosh is forced to put out a BD, and I will jump on board. I will buy a Tosh becasue it will be the most likely to play my current (and future) HD DVDs. So for the time being I will stick with HD DVD becasue I think it is the better format. There are still HD DVD movies I want to pick up, and hopefully there are some future HD DVDs that I can enjoy. It is economics for me and not fanboyism. If HD DVD died 12 months ago, I would only have bought an up-converter.
kbaker2002de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:22 AM   #22  
Lean, mean, drum machine
 
pearl-drum-man's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,143
Default

I bought HD DVD because of price first, and I knew I would eventually buy a PS3 anyways so when it came to SAs it was HD DVD. I also knew I would be getting a really good upscaler, so even though I knew the risk of buying HD DVD I don't regret it and it has performed flawlessly with every movie (HD or SD) I have put in it. My PS3 purchase is imminent, so the timing of the Warner announcement shouldn't have much effect on my HDM buying/watching.
pearl-drum-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:26 AM   #23  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Chris Gerhard's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbaker2002de View Post
Chris you were great at posting your emotional and logical arguements for buying Blu but have been rendered less effective by your pig-headed refusal to acknowledge when anyone else had a valid arguement you disagreed with.
You're wrong, I have no emotional basis in the discussion and I acknowledged every argument in favor of HD DVD, I just disagreed with most and pointed out in my opinion the others could not have the material impact claimed here.

Chris
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:29 AM   #24  
Illusions Michael!
 
hippy fascist's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 694
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
You're wrong, I have no emotional basis in the discussion and I acknowledged every argument in favor of HD DVD, I just disagreed with most and pointed out in my opinion the others could not have the material impact claimed here.

Chris
You've NEVER debated the HD DVD

You're whole argument against HD DVD is now and has always been "HD DVD can't win because...it can't"

there's no evidence to support, nothing to validate your claims, hence most people's interpretation of it being emotional

Provide one piece of evidence that HD DVD was doomed from the start and I'll retract this statement

But of course you won't
Plus I think he has me on ignore for disagreeing with him
hippy fascist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:34 AM   #25  
It's the Cup Or BUST!!
 
kbaker2002de's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
You're wrong, I have no emotional basis in the discussion and I acknowledged every argument in favor of HD DVD, I just disagreed with most and pointed out in my opinion the others could not have the material impact claimed here.

Chris
Chris, two words:


LOSSLESS AUDIO

Your rant can begin now. In all seriousness you drive me nuts sometimes and I call you out, just as you call myself and others out as well. You are an asset to this forum.
kbaker2002de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:37 AM   #26  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Dr. Jones's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 668
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
You're wrong, I have no emotional basis in the discussion and I acknowledged every argument in favor of HD DVD, I just disagreed with most and pointed out in my opinion the others could not have the material impact claimed here.

Chris
If you have no emotional basis in the discussion then why bother posting? Logically there is no reason for you to be posting about a disk player if there is no emotion driving a desire to do so.
Dr. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:45 AM   #27  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Chris Gerhard's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbaker2002de View Post
Chris, two words:


LOSSLESS AUDIO

Your rant can begin now. In all seriousness you drive me nuts sometimes and I call you out, just as you call myself and others out as well. You are an asset to this forum.
I have no idea what you mean by LOSSLESS AUDIO. I have addressed the differences between the formats regarding lossless audio many times, although I never used all caps until now.

Chris
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:47 AM   #28  
Let's try this button...
 
Allin4greeN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 858
Default

I never really posted much in the HDM area... Mostly because of what I perceived to be lunacy in the name of "support" for one format or the other. Any criticisms levied toward a format, and contrary to that format's PR rhetoric (tech specs aside), were typically met with a barrage of "spin doctors" who would vigorously defend their precious red or blue colored discs.

I continued reading the posts on HDM because despite having to wade through garbage post after garbage post, there was and continues to be some great information shared by knowledgeable folks.

When I make an HT purchase, I consider; 1) does this product meet my needs? 2) what variations of this product exist? 3) which variation offers me the best value? When there's only one variation on a theme, the decision-making process becomes much easier, IMHO.

Sporting events are often emotionally engaging for me, as are films, theatre and other artistic events. I've always enjoyed watching the cheerleaders at football games but, I never really focused all that much on their pompoms. To me, the discs are like the cheerleaders' pompoms, they grabbed my attention but, I never focused on them all that much. HDM is just a vehicle that delivers what I'm really emotional about and interested in...

So, my PC plays both formats, and I could care less which color won, or will win, or... whatever. All I'm interested in is, will the catalog titles be there? Will the bar for quality remain high, or be raised higher? Will prices continue to drop?

When can we get back to discussing why we buy these damn things in the first place?
Allin4greeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:52 AM   #29  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Chris Gerhard's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jones View Post
If you have no emotional basis in the discussion then why bother posting? Logically there is no reason for you to be posting about a disk player if there is no emotion driving a desire to do so.
Ha, what does that mean? I shouldn't present my arguments which are all logical, not based on emotion? I enjoy home audio video and have for decades and have formed opinions, but my belief that Blu-ray is the better choice is entirely based on logic and what I believe will happen. I have no urge to support the underdog, I don't despise Sony, Lord of the Evil Blu Empire, nor do I have this warm cuddly feeling about a format for some odd reason and that means I shouldn't want to be involved in the discussion?

Chris
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:57 AM   #30  
HD makes my pants tight
Thread Starter
 
Superman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 2,804
Default

The only problem is your opinions are wrong.


Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to ROLL CALL: HD DVD supporters that bought Blu
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HD-DVD/Blu-ray Supporters Roll-Call fryet HD DVD Players and Discs 163 03-14-2007 08:30 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:11 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands