High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

High Definition Media A place to discuss BD and UHD Content from physical and digital media

Warning !! Blu-ray - The New Betamax?

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2007, 11:45 AM   #76  
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 47,308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobY View Post
When it comes down to the analysis of how many PS3's are actually being used for BD playback on a regular basis, you really need to look at individual BD title sales.

It may well be the 20% figure, or an even much greater percentage of PS3 owners have actually used the PS3 to watch a movie once or twice, but don't buy movies on a regular basis and have no intention to.

I mean, really, whats 20% of 7 Million? Anybody see any individual BD title that has sold close to 1.4 Million copies? Half that? Even if you add all the big BD sellers together and average them over the 7 Million units you likely won't get 20%. And except for the handful of big sellers, the rest of BD title sales are puny.

The highest selling BD title in the first week of release is less than 200,000.
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:45 AM   #77  
Tom Baker (1974-1981)
Thread Starter
 
Super XP's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto, ON. Canada
Posts: 5,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
Only a check in front of Warner could cause leaning toward HD DVD.

Chris
Why do you reject the Fact that Warner already stated they will not exclusively support a format if a game console fully relies on it? Blu-Ray relies on the PS3 or it would have died off in 2007 by now.

You seem way too sure that Blu-Ray will win regardless. Not a good way of thinking, this early in the game.

Last edited by Super XP; 12-18-2007 at 12:08 PM..
Super XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:51 AM   #78  
The Bringer of Balance
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 11,350
Default

Wow, having another bad day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith View Post
I am much too board to go through a debunking of another completly BS thread so I guess I will just say

Fuck off

And go to sleep
Cygnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:53 AM   #79  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
tvine2000's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: vermont
Posts: 1,280
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter View Post
Chris, we are talking about people who bought the Toshiba hype afterall. Very easy to fool them.
what hype would that be
tvine2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:53 AM   #80  
Defender of Sanity
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,232
Default

Gosh, I forgot how much Jimmy Smith sucks!
Ntruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:15 PM   #81  
The Bringer of Balance
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 11,350
Default

So what if its a check? $ony basically has done the same thing by subsidizing high bile-ray cost to studios. But of course its OK for $ony to do that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
Only a check in front of Warner could cause leaning toward HD DVD.

Chris
Cygnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:21 PM   #82  
SD HURTS MY EYES
 
Stew4HD's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tejas Baby
Posts: 9,989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post
So what if its a check? $ony basically has done the same thing by subsidizing high bile-ray cost to studios. But of course its OK for $ony to do that...
I hope HD DVD does wave a big enough incentive package under WB's nose to make them do it. I don't care how it's done, just do it already! Time to shut these arrogant *beeps* up!
Stew4HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:27 PM   #83  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Chris Gerhard's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super XP View Post
Why do you reject the Fact that Warner already stated they will not exclusively support a format if a game console fully relies on it? Blu-Ray relies on the PS3 or it would have died off in 2007 by now.

You seem way too sure that Blu-Ray will win regardless. Not a good way of thinking, this early in the game.
Why do you reject the fact that market conditions including the PS3 having sold 7.5 million can impact a future Warner decision? I have seen the comment that Warner would continue to release on both formats, the comment was made in early 2007. Do you think Warner can change that business decision based on the horrific HD DVD sales and upside potential for the only format to have hardware in consumer's hands in a quantity to have any impact. You seem to pick and choose which Warner statements suit your cause and place weight on each statement as you choose. Warner won't base a decision on the PS3 because you believe you interpretted something you believe Warner may have stated in your opinion? I believe Warner makes business decision based on business factors. I absolutely do not believe that Warner will exclude consideration of the PS3 when making a business decision regarding whether or not to release software on only one of the two formats.

You can state your belief of the process that Warner will go through but that means nothing to me. I know for absolutely certain that Warner will consider the PS3, and that is the end of the discussion. I don't know what weight Warner will place on which factors and I don't know what Warner will do. I do immediately dismiss any claims that Warner won't know about the PS3 and its potential impact on the market.

I recall when Warner released statements that TotalHD with Blu-ray on one side and HD DVD on the other was coming. I immediately posted my opinion, that idiotic idea will never happen, there will be no TotalHD discs but if there are any, the market will reject them. Of course we have seen no TotalHD discs and that is because business considerations caused that idea to be aborted, level heads prevailed. If somebody at Warner has said the PS3 doesn't mean anything, I know for certain some other executive will say, wait a second, we need to at least consider it. You guys are all emotional about wanting HD DVD to prevail for whatever reason, I personally don't care what the reasons are. I am prepared to make either or both work, but I can evaluate the current market factors and industry support for these two formats and come to a conclusion that only one, Blu-ray has any chance to prevail.

I know, I know, someone will chime in and state that the PS3 is a game console and won't have any impact. You can state the moon is made of green cheese as often as you like, but that won't make it so.

Chris
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:33 PM   #84  
Ever Eddy
 
edders's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,455
Default Reaper request for thread

Die, evil thread, die and cross over to the afterlife!!!

-Just Ed
edders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:33 PM   #85  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Chris Gerhard's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvine2000 View Post
what hype would that be
It started with Toshiba claiming that 3 million HD DVD players would be sold by year end 2007 and continued with many silly claims up to the claim that including an HD DVD drive in all Toshiba laptops would have an impact. Toshiba has claimed a lot of things and the only thing Toshiba has actually done that has mattered is offer HD DVD players at very low prices. That did cause a small spike in HD DVD player sales but at the same time ended any possibility of any major consumer electronics company other than Toshiba building a standalone HD DVD player.

Chris
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:38 PM   #86  
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
What we know for certain is that Warner isn't going to choose a format that has less than a million players in service, HD DVD, without receiving a big cash settlement. The nonsense that Warner will avoid Blu-ray because the players being used will often be the excellent PS3 has no credibility at all. Do you own a PS3? It works great for Blu-ray, I didn't know it until I read that repeatedly and now that I own one, I know it first hand. Once again, I hope Warner is paying attention to the obvious, there is one significant chance for HD disc sales to help the home video software market and that one chance is Blu-ray.

Chris
You really are a broken record Chris and you ignore comments made publicly by Warner themselves that they DO NOT want to rely on a game console for their multi-BILLION dollar home video business. Why do you continually happen to forget these types of statements that are the direct opposite of what you say as your argument? You just make yourself look silly at this point because you KNOW we are going to point this out.
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:44 PM   #87  
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 47,308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC5 View Post
You really are a broken record Chris and you ignore comments made publicly by Warner themselves that they DO NOT want to rely on a game console for their multi-BILLION dollar home video business. Why do you continually happen to forget these types of statements that are the direct opposite of what you say as your argument? You just make yourself look silly at this point because you KNOW we are going to point this out.
Well - one picture is definitely worth 1000 words:

Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:46 PM   #88  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
GLOW's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,701
Default

WARNING EVERYONE: Keep posting in this retarded fucking thread and I will make 500 WARNING threads about why people shouldn't buy HD DVD.
GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:47 PM   #89  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 409
Default

You state this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super XP View Post
Now what makes you think HD DVD disc sales are in the toilet? They are outselling BD discs in Attach Rate, or you just forgot about that When are you people going to realize "RIGHT NOW" disc sales mean absolutely NOTHING. It's SAL player sales that are key for this Hi Def Industry to take off, not a bunch of PS3 fanboys buying up all the BD discs. .
And then the all knowing Boby stated:

Quote:
It may well be the 20% figure, or an even much greater percentage of PS3 owners have actually used the PS3 to watch a movie once or twice, but don't buy movies on a regular basis and have no intention to.
And then again Unotis stated:
Quote:
Chris, while it is an excellent Blu-Ray player (probably the best one on the market right now) it is known that only 20% of the owners use it to own, buy and watch Blu-Ray discs. That means 80% of the market doesn't use it for what you use it for.
So, who is right? Are the PS3 owners buying discs, or not? Wish you all would get your stories straight.
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:47 PM   #90  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
GLOW's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,701
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
Well - one picture is definitely worth 1000 words:

Yeah, and also one picture that you've already posted here 1,000 times. You're lucky to have High Def Forum cause AVS would never put up with your bullshit pics.
GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to Warning !! Blu-ray - The New Betamax?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BLOG: Mark my words, Sony may well regret its victory in the video disc war Lee Stewart High Definition Media 18 03-06-2012 04:38 PM
Samsung's BD-P1400 Blu-ray player sinks below $300 dblake15 High Definition Media 114 12-10-2007 06:08 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:40 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands