High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

High Definition Media A place to discuss BD and UHD Content from physical and digital media

Warning !! Blu-ray - The New Betamax?

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2007, 07:16 AM   #16  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,023
Default

Don't speak too soon...
brianh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 07:25 AM   #17  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Florida
Age: 48
Posts: 432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
A joke is the group here that sees the pathetic HD DVD sales as anything other than what it means and that is worldwide the format has already failed. Only the couple hundred that rally here with nonsense about how some secret plan exists to make HD DVD successful and how that plan is always on the horizon can't see the obvious. It is low priced players, then it is DVD/HD DVD dual format discs, then it is low priced players again, then it is dual format players, Blu-ray/HD DVD that will propel HD DVD to success. Do you believe any figures I stated in my post intended to be humorous are false? Do you believe HD DVD has any chance whatsoever to sell as well as Beta?

I don't know what Blu-ray will do yet, but tiny niche status or worse is all that HD DVD can do.

Chris

Man, I need my B.S. Smilie for you. You blow so much smoke it's damn near necessary on every one of your posts. HD-DVD software sales are no more "pathetic" than Blu-ray sales when compared to DVD.

Let me remind you that we are talking less than a 2:1 difference for 2007 on software sales. By no means is that pathetic when you take into account the number of players each group has sold.

Last edited by DKwhite; 12-18-2007 at 07:28 AM..
DKwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 07:38 AM   #18  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,023
Default

It's absolutely impossible to take anything Chris says seriously anymore.

You're really a parity of yourself, Chris. Do you realise that?
lol Of course not, you're too busy HATING.
brianh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 07:49 AM   #19  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,416
Default

SuperXP, this was a completely unnecessary thread... It makes it hard to take anything you say seriously when you post this kind of spam.

First of all, it is a post, not an article..
Secondly you decided to keep this title because it would cause the most controversy and misinformation
Third, some guy has a problem with his player? This never happens with HDDVD? I have both formats and I'm happy with both players.

If you had to absolutely post this, it could have gone in the Blu-Ray player section....

In summary:
tomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 08:52 AM   #20  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith View Post
I am much too board to go through a debunking of another completly BS thread so I guess I will just say

Fuck off
Well...

Who can argue with such a cogent blu argument as that!
Bunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 08:54 AM   #21  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianh View Post
Everytime I see Chris' name I just laugh.

Your posts have become jokes, my friend.

Of course you won't understand that, but trust me it's true.
Was he here BEFORE the (comedy) writers' strike????
Bunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:06 AM   #22  
HD Technophile
 
Revolv's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: UK
Age: 54
Posts: 463
Default

Quote:
I would add that it is the FORMAT that is faulty, not the players.
I agree 100% with this.

Longwinded post, perhaps, but the bottom line is that Bluray has never been ready for prime time - even today, nearly 2 years into the format war...
Revolv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:11 AM   #23  
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 47,308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolv View Post
I agree 100% with this.

Longwinded post, perhaps, but the bottom line is that Bluray has never been ready for prime time - even today, nearly 2 years into the format war...
Got that right. The Profiles came out and were a published spec LONG before the very first player hit the street.

18 months later - they still have not released a fully compliant player.
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:17 AM   #24  
SD HURTS MY EYES
 
Stew4HD's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tejas Baby
Posts: 9,989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
Got that right. The Profiles came out and were a published spec LONG before the very first player hit the street.

18 months later - they still have not released a fully compliant player.
Guys, please stop picking on BD. Chris says it is superior and will win. He is always right and knows best... just follow his lead and all will be right with the world. Then maybe SACD will win after all
Stew4HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:21 AM   #25  
My Projector is High Def.
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marlborough, MA
Age: 45
Posts: 7,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
A joke is the group here that sees the pathetic HD DVD sales as anything other than what it means and that is worldwide the format has already failed. Only the couple hundred that rally here with nonsense about how some secret plan exists to make HD DVD successful and how that plan is always on the horizon can't see the obvious. It is low priced players, then it is DVD/HD DVD dual format discs, then it is low priced players again, then it is dual format players, Blu-ray/HD DVD that will propel HD DVD to success. Do you believe any figures I stated in my post intended to be humorous are false? Do you believe HD DVD has any chance whatsoever to sell as well as Beta?

I don't know what Blu-ray will do yet, but tiny niche status or worse is all that HD DVD can do.

Chris
Blu-ray sales are just as pathetic. And they are completely due to a gaming system. Take away the gaming factor and I'd bet the sales would be pretty close between the two.

The reason your posts are laughable, is because you completely ignore any reasoning behind sales numbers. You simple look at the numbers and end your thinking there. There is a lot behind what makes those numbers and it is important.
mshulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:26 AM   #26  
SD HURTS MY EYES
 
Stew4HD's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tejas Baby
Posts: 9,989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshulman View Post
Blu-ray sales are just as pathetic. And they are completely due to a gaming system. Take away the gaming factor and I'd bet the sales would be pretty close between the two.

The reason your posts are laughable, is because you completely ignore any reasoning behind sales numbers. You simple look at the numbers and end your thinking there. There is a lot behind what makes those numbers and it is important.
Responding to Chris G is Not worth wasting your words, trust me. Many of us have tried to reason with him and, well, it aint gonna happen!
Stew4HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:27 AM   #27  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Chris Gerhard's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshulman View Post
Blu-ray sales are just as pathetic. And they are completely due to a gaming system. Take away the gaming factor and I'd bet the sales would be pretty close between the two.

The reason your posts are laughable, is because you completely ignore any reasoning behind sales numbers. You simple look at the numbers and end your thinking there. There is a lot behind what makes those numbers and it is important.
I consider a format that has 8 million players in service as having a better start than a format that has less than 1 million in service. I do accept as I always have that Blu-ray must do much better to succeed and if HD DVD ends its run, I expect that to happen. Now that 7.5 million Blu-ray players can be updated to Profile 1.1 immediately if the owners of the players want Blu-ray playback including the features, I hope Warner is paying attention.

Chris
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:31 AM   #28  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 453
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
I consider a format that has 8 million players in service as having a better start than a format that has less than 1 million in service. I do accept as I always have that Blu-ray must do much better to succeed and if HD DVD ends its run, I expect that to happen. Now that 7.5 million Blu-ray players can be updated to Profile 1.1 immediately if the owners of the players want Blu-ray playback including the features, I hope Warner is paying attention.

Chris
You keep assuming that all PS3 owners by default are going to be buying BRDs. I would have thought that all the statistics being released proving otherwise would have shown this to be an incorrect assumption.
apocolypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:33 AM   #29  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: North Somerset, UK
Posts: 1,395
Default

Yawn! Change the record Chris!
cbcdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:34 AM   #30  
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 47,308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocolypse View Post
You keep assuming that all PS3 owners by default are going to be buying BRDs. I would have thought that all the statistics being released proving otherwise would have shown this to be an incorrect assumption.
Sorry . . .

Chris ONLY sees 7 million PS3's and 65/35 sales ratio in favor of BD. ALL other stats are meaningless to him.
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to Warning !! Blu-ray - The New Betamax?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BLOG: Mark my words, Sony may well regret its victory in the video disc war Lee Stewart High Definition Media 18 03-06-2012 04:38 PM
Samsung's BD-P1400 Blu-ray player sinks below $300 dblake15 High Definition Media 114 12-10-2007 06:08 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:47 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands