High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

High Definition Media A place to discuss BD and UHD Content from physical and digital media

Warning !! Blu-ray - The New Betamax?

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2007, 01:42 PM   #136  
UNOTIS
 
unotis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: FLORIDA
Age: 64
Posts: 4,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
I have never asked for the percentage of PS3 owners that buy movies on a regular basis. I am possibly not even a member of that group, depending on how regularly is defined. What I have always stated is the owners use the PS3 for Blu-ray and don't buy a great number of movies. You are using a tactic you guys always use against me. Change what I state and attack that. I understand that owners of the PS3 that regularly buy movies, meaning frequently, is a small group, less than 20%, I have never stated differently. What I have stated is the PS3 is used as a Blu-ray player by many owners and that the attach rate is small and there is great potential since the user base is large and the result is far more Blu-ray software is sold than HD DVD software since the user base is much larger.

If you are seriously trying to state I have claimed a large percentage of PS3 owners have purchased many Blu-ray video discs, you are even goofier than I thought you were. You might look at my posts That is not me claiming that there is more than 20% of PS3 owners buying movies on Blu-ray regularly. .

Infact you said just a few posts earlier (post #125) that it is your belief that 40% of PS3 owners use it as a Blu-ray player.

Maybe you can understand, assuming you didn't deliberately attempt to change my comments and attack that, by reading this and my other posts. My point that I would rather sell to a potential user base of 8,000,000 than a potential user base of less than a million is the statement I have made and repeated.

I said I understood your opinion but potential and actual user base are two different things and if less then 20% of the users actually use the PS3 as a Blu-Ray player then it doesn't have much impact on the Studios choice of which format to support.

I am sort of hoping your challenging the alledged position of a belief that PS3 owners are regularly buying Blu-ray video discs was a deliberate attempt to annoy me and you will apologize, but if not, I won't be surprised as that is all I have ever seen from you guys.

I would apologize if I had taken anything you've stated out of context in a attempt to annoy you, I did not do either, rather it was to use what you posted previously to counter what I consider incorrect information.

Chris
I enjoy our little debates, sometimes I learn something from you and modify my opinion with the new knowledge you provided.

Last edited by unotis; 12-19-2007 at 01:51 PM..
unotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:54 PM   #137  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Chris Gerhard's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unotis View Post
I enjoy our little debates, sometimes I learn something from you and modify my opinion with the new knowledge you provided.
So in your opinion if state 40% use it as a Blu-ray player you honestly believe that is the same as stating they regularly buy movies? You really have a terrible time with reading comprehension.

Chris
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 02:36 PM   #138  
UNOTIS
 
unotis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: FLORIDA
Age: 64
Posts: 4,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
So in your opinion if state 40% use it as a Blu-ray player you honestly believe that is the same as stating they regularly buy movies? You really have a terrible time with reading comprehension.

Chris
And here I thought that if 40% of PS3 owners use them to watch Blu-Ray discs (your opinion only) they would buy more then the 20% of the potential base that do, what do they do only rent?

Then I guess they really will not help in the decison for the Studios as to which format to back.

That would actually make it much easier for the Studios to choose HD DVD because that customer base actual does buy the product they sell instead of borrow/rent it.

If you think this is good for Blu-Ray Chris, you have a real problem with comprehension of how companies make profit, they like to sell the item they make and the higher percentage of the market that buys it, the better it is for business.

Your posts actually make the case for HD DVD as the eventual winner.

Last edited by unotis; 12-19-2007 at 02:39 PM..
unotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:08 PM   #139  
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomes View Post
Who's BobY by the way? I haven't heard any reference to this person until now.

I believe about 50% of PS3 owners has at least played ONE blu-ray movie on it. (Heck, several editions came with free movies, such as Talladega Nights, Casino Royale, Spiderman 3 - why would the NOT try it?)

Furthermore I believe 30-40% have tried a few.

I think probably 20% have watched many, and of those, probably at least half (or 10% of the total ps3 owners) bought it primarily for Blu-Ray playback.

I know several people and they all use it a lot for playback. Of course, I'm in my thirties, so someone in their 20s may play more game.

I do think it is funny though that HDDVD fans first make fun of the "appaling lack of games" on the platform, so "obviously they don't buy it for the games", yet they apparently don't know what Blu-Ray is . What exactly do people think the PS3 is used for?????

In the end it does not matter. If Warner sells considerably more discs on Blu-Ray than on HDDVD, there is a good chance they go that way, or vice versa, if HDDVD sells considerably more, they'll go that way. Software Sales is what counts...
Good post but I disagree with your numbers a little.

I believe virtually every PS3 owner who got 1 or more free BD movies has tried playing them so it is probably close to 80+% (without knowing how many they sold with zero movies), but we do not know how many had HDTVs to watch them on.

I think when the dust settles everyone will see that Warner sells about the same amount of movies on each format and maybe a little more on HD DVD. Sure the movie 300 sold a lot more on BD but that was catering to the PS3 demographics.
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:49 AM   #140  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 949
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
Because he's convincing people to buy slow clunky HD DVD players that they'll end up regretting buying. I'm trying to save these poor souls some money by telling them not to buy HD DVD and to buy Blu-ray.


/thread

........seriously. THE END.
Hmmm, so if I buy $400 Blu-Ray players instead of $200 HD-DVD players I will be saving money? Well that makes sense. On the heavier note, I just like to say I am Very thankful that Chris, Jimmy, Glow, and Madhatter are NOT Nazis or Communists.
dontknowjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:44 AM   #141  
Tom Baker (1974-1981)
Thread Starter
 
Super XP's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto, ON. Canada
Posts: 5,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontknowjack View Post
Hmmm, so if I buy $400 Blu-Ray players instead of $200 HD-DVD players I will be saving money? Well that makes sense. On the heavier note, I just like to say I am Very thankful that Chris, Jimmy, Glow, and Madhatter are NOT Nazis or Communists.
Well it makes a world of sense. Buy the $400 profile 1.0 BD player now, then in 2008, buy another $400 BD player with profile 1.1 instead of 1.0.

This way you will save a lot more money then buying a complete future proof & finished spec HD DVD player for $200
Super XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:50 PM   #142  
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super XP View Post
Well it makes a world of sense. Buy the $400 profile 1.0 BD player now, then in 2008, buy another $400 BD player with profile 1.1 instead of 1.0.

This way you will save a lot more money then buying a complete future proof & finished spec HD DVD player for $200
You forgot the next step which is to buy a profile 2.0 BD player when THEY come out after the 1.1 players also.

Yup. That is the way to save money it sure is.
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:54 PM   #143  
Tom Baker (1974-1981)
Thread Starter
 
Super XP's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto, ON. Canada
Posts: 5,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC5 View Post
You forgot the next step which is to buy a profile 2.0 BD player when THEY come out after the 1.1 players also.

Yup. That is the way to save money it sure is.
Yes, I totaly forgot.
Super XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:57 PM   #144  
What's all this, then?...
 
BobY's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,197
Default

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this--to much Christmas stuff going on right now.

I want to present the information in a cogent manner and not just slap it together so I don't have to spend a lot of time defending it.

It's basically a straightforward statistical analysis, based on numbers provided by the BDA, which makes it obvious that nowhere near 20% of PS3 owners' are buying Blu-Ray discs on any sort of regular basis.

Just a quick peek:380 Blu-Ray titles, 4 million Blu-Ray discs sold=10,500 average sales per title. Spread across 7 million BD players=0.15% of PS3 owners buying any given title.

Some titles have sold far more than that, which just proves the vast majority of BD discs sell less than 10,000 units. Even if you add up all the BD titles that have sold in excess of 100,000 units and assume each of those titles was bought by a different demographic with no overlap, you won't get 20% of PS3 owners and statistically speaking, it is highly unikely there is no overlap in the demographics.

It is extremely likely that there is a very large overlap between the demographics for the most successful BD titles, which means they are selling to the same group of people, not many separate groups. That would put the number of PS3 owners buying Blu-Ray discs on a regular basis at around 5%.

Why is the number of PS3 owners who by Blu-Ray discs on a regular basis important? Because it's the only group of PS3 owners the studios care about. They can't factor in the number of random PS3 owners who might buy their disc because of a BOGO or because they decided to try a BD for the one and only time.

Right now if you make a Blu-Ray disc, you have no idea whether you will sell 7 million, or 300,000 or 10,000. If you guess wrong, you stand to lose a lot of money. The statistics say you are more likely to sell less than 10,000 than anything else and it is improbable you will sell to even half the base of PS3's, as the PS3 attach rate remains under 1 disc per PS3. Meanwhile the attach rate of HD DVD remains above 3 discs per player.

Going forward, the trend is a constant, predictable growth in HD DVD sales relative to the number of HD DVD players sold. That's not to say HD DVD disc sales are guaranteed to become significant, but the point of this was to demonstrate that there is no way 20% of PS3 owners are buying Blu-Ray discs in any meaningful way.
BobY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 12:46 AM   #145  
Tom Baker (1974-1981)
Thread Starter
 
Super XP's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto, ON. Canada
Posts: 5,988
Default

Good point Boby.
Super XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 07:38 AM   #146  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobY View Post
Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this--to much Christmas stuff going on right now.

I want to present the information in a cogent manner and not just slap it together so I don't have to spend a lot of time defending it.

It's basically a straightforward statistical analysis, based on numbers provided by the BDA, which makes it obvious that nowhere near 20% of PS3 owners' are buying Blu-Ray discs on any sort of regular basis.

Just a quick peek:380 Blu-Ray titles, 4 million Blu-Ray discs sold=10,500 average sales per title. Spread across 7 million BD players=0.15% of PS3 owners buying any given title.

Some titles have sold far more than that, which just proves the vast majority of BD discs sell less than 10,000 units. Even if you add up all the BD titles that have sold in excess of 100,000 units and assume each of those titles was bought by a different demographic with no overlap, you won't get 20% of PS3 owners and statistically speaking, it is highly unikely there is no overlap in the demographics.

It is extremely likely that there is a very large overlap between the demographics for the most successful BD titles, which means they are selling to the same group of people, not many separate groups. That would put the number of PS3 owners buying Blu-Ray discs on a regular basis at around 5%.

Why is the number of PS3 owners who by Blu-Ray discs on a regular basis important? Because it's the only group of PS3 owners the studios care about. They can't factor in the number of random PS3 owners who might buy their disc because of a BOGO or because they decided to try a BD for the one and only time.

Right now if you make a Blu-Ray disc, you have no idea whether you will sell 7 million, or 300,000 or 10,000. If you guess wrong, you stand to lose a lot of money. The statistics say you are more likely to sell less than 10,000 than anything else and it is improbable you will sell to even half the base of PS3's, as the PS3 attach rate remains under 1 disc per PS3. Meanwhile the attach rate of HD DVD remains above 3 discs per player.

Going forward, the trend is a constant, predictable growth in HD DVD sales relative to the number of HD DVD players sold. That's not to say HD DVD disc sales are guaranteed to become significant, but the point of this was to demonstrate that there is no way 20% of PS3 owners are buying Blu-Ray discs in any meaningful way.
Once again, you play unfair by using facts and logic!! For shame!

Meanwhile, bend over, grab your ankles, and say "Make me thankful for what I am about to receive!!"
Bunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:47 AM   #147  
Tom Baker (1974-1981)
Thread Starter
 
Super XP's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto, ON. Canada
Posts: 5,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunter View Post
Once again, you play unfair by using facts and logic!! For shame!

Meanwhile, bend over, grab your ankles, and say "Make me thankful for what I am about to receive!!"
Super XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 03:46 AM   #148  
I Bleed RED
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2
Thumbs up PS3 for gaming only and never for Blu-Ray

Im new here and I agree with jay4highdef and mshulman. I've read posting about 30% of PS3 user bought it for BD movies and 70% for gaming only. I myself own a PS3(60GB) and so does my brother and cousin, but we dont have any BD movies. We strictly used for gaming and only gaming. My brother and I have Toshiba's A30, and my cousin A35. I have about 37 HD DVDs and planning to get more. As for the PS3, its only for gaming and my uncle is planning to get one (he's already have 360 and Toshiba A30) again to play games made exclusively for the PS3. I can proudly say me, my brother and cousin are three of the 70%.
Prime hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 09:34 AM   #149  
My plasma is High Def.
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 6
Default It Must be Bill Gates fault

My 2 cents , was there any mistruth writen? Ranty about his problems aside. Wheres the lie? I own both player because i love movies and havent taken any side. But i agree with some of the replies saying some of the Blu-Ray supporters are over the top on the issue. I havent seen this kind of hatred toward a (product) since Bill Gates' Windows from Mac users, Maybe thats the root of the distain, Bill Gates! he behind HD DVD Arrrgg. I'd wonder what a survey of Blu-Ray supporters and Mac users would look like.
Sorry Oh mighty Bill, I'll never speek bad of you again

Last edited by rockbash; 12-30-2007 at 09:57 AM..
rockbash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:10 AM   #150  
Ever Eddy
 
edders's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,455
Default

The Mac guy vs Mr. PC commercials are hilarious no matter which flavor of OS you own. How much more civil this HD war would be if the two sides campaigned in that manner.

Ed, in Sacramento where only OSX is allowed in public places but we respect the right of individuals to use Windows in the privacy of their own homes, as long as there are no minors present.
edders is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to Warning !! Blu-ray - The New Betamax?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BLOG: Mark my words, Sony may well regret its victory in the video disc war Lee Stewart High Definition Media 18 03-06-2012 04:38 PM
Samsung's BD-P1400 Blu-ray player sinks below $300 dblake15 High Definition Media 114 12-10-2007 06:08 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:01 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands