High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

High Definition Media A place to discuss BD and UHD Content from physical and digital media

TVPredictions.com - Blu-ray vs. HD-DVD: No Winner at CES

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2007, 11:41 AM   #31  
50>30
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,998
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I WUV HD
Microsoft hasn't been "just a software company" for years - try to keep up.

HD DVD announced new partners for software in the adult and anime industries. They announced that there will be over 300 new HD DVD titles released this year alone. They also announced new hardware partners, including a company that was formerly BD-exclusive (LG.) They have covered virtually every price-range with their new partnerships withMeridian, Onkyo, and the Chinese manufacturers who are responsible for putting cheap SD DVD players on the shelves a few years back.

Oh yeah, and they also announced a new TL51 disc technology.

BD announced a bunch of titles that will be coming out through summer of 2007. Oh and the hardware you listed below, which was really nothing new in terms of innovation, brand, or design. Where are the new BD partners? Where are the BD players with BD-Live? Where are the BD players with built-in advanced audo decoders? Where are the innovations? Where's all the advanced content (aka BD-J) that was promised? Do we have to wait till CES 2008 to see all of the advanced features BD will eventually have (that HD DVD's had since day one?) Or maybe just CEDIA 2007?
300 titles. Without specifics or release dates this figure is useless

They announced a 51 gig triple layer HD-DVD that isn't in the spec and is incompatible with all players. Until its in the spec its vaporware. Blu-Ray showed off 100 gig quad layer discs but niether look like they will materialize anytime soon.

Warner says the that BD-J interactive features will be availible for Blu-Ray soon. They said this even before CES.
Jimmy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 11:49 AM   #32  
Format Neutral?
Thread Starter
 
I WUV HD's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
300 titles. Without specifics or release dates this figure is useless
Based on what's happened in the past with HD DVD titles, the release comes a week after the announcement, in many cases. They don't seem to give us much notice when a lot of the movies come out.They did name over 100 of the titles and based on their reputation, I'm inclined to believe them that there will be over 300 titles released this year. Now if it was Sony claiming this, I would be skeptical, since they've lied repeatedly to their customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
They announced a 51 gig triple layer HD-DVD that isn't in the spec and is incompatible with all players.
You don't know that they're "incompatible with all players." Stop spreading FUD and stick to things you can prove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
Until its in the spec its vaporware. Blu-Ray showed off 100 gig quad layer discs but niether look like they will materialize anytime soon.
I agree. I will consider TL51 vaporware until there are discs release. That doesn't mean they're not working on the technology, nor does it mean they won't come out this year or soon after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
Warner says the that BD-J interactive features will be availible for Blu-Ray soon. They said this even before CES.
That's great, but most existing standalone players won't be able to play most/all of the features. Just another favor BD's done for its early adopters.

By the way, doesn't it seem odd that you're bragging that the "superior format" may soon get features that HD DVD has had since day one? What does that say for the so-called superior format?
I WUV HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:32 PM   #33  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 132
Default

All things Considered lets call CES a tie, but HD DVD still has alot of things up its sleeve whereas Blu Ray has given its all
Movie Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:52 PM   #34  
50>30
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,998
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie Madness
All things Considered lets call CES a tie, but HD DVD still has alot of things up its sleeve whereas Blu Ray has given its all
CES was as much a tie as World War 2 was
Jimmy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:21 PM   #35  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 7,120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
CES was as much a tie as World War 2 was
Don't forget that the Nazi army was considered to be relatively invincible early in the war. Did they win? Thank God that they didn't..............
junehhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 11:50 PM   #36  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 949
Default

Jimmy, I am willing to pick up BD player if the price was manageble. $1000 for the player is way to much. Even $500 for the player was bit much but I needed a HD player and HD-A2 was the only one I could afford. I do agree with many of your points about Blu-Ray (without bagging on the opposite side) but when it comes to actually buying the darn thing, I JUST CAN'T AFFORD IT. Now I know limo is a very nice car, but no matter how good it is and how much I want to buy it, IF I CAN'T AFFORD IT I CAN'T AFFORD IT.
dontknowjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:23 AM   #37  
50>30
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,998
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontknowjack
Jimmy, I am willing to pick up BD player if the price was manageble. $1000 for the player is way to much. Even $500 for the player was bit much but I needed a HD player and HD-A2 was the only one I could afford. I do agree with many of your points about Blu-Ray (without bagging on the opposite side) but when it comes to actually buying the darn thing, I JUST CAN'T AFFORD IT. Now I know limo is a very nice car, but no matter how good it is and how much I want to buy it, IF I CAN'T AFFORD IT I CAN'T AFFORD IT.
Playstation 3 stupid. Its very cheap is much more affordable then any stand-alone for HD-DVD too.
Jimmy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:29 AM   #38  
Format Neutral?
Thread Starter
 
I WUV HD's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
Playstation 3 stupid. Its very cheap is much more affordable then any stand-alone for HD-DVD too.
Except that my A1 has high-quality audio components built-in. It also upscales SD DVD content beautifully and can be used with a universal remote for convenience. Oh yeah - it also doesn't look like a kid's gaming console and instead looks like a piece of home theater equipment.

Plus, you know that you can get an A2 for ~$400, so you're wrong (of course) about the PS3 being "more affordable than any stand-alone HD DVD," especially for people who have absolutely no interest in playing video games.

You're the last person who should be calling someone else stupid. Go back and learn how to spell and form complete sentences, then maybe you can make fun of another's intelligence.
I WUV HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:32 AM   #39  
50>30
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,998
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I WUV HD
Except that my A1 has high-quality audio components built-in. It also upscales SD DVD content beautifully and can be used with a universal remote for convenience. Oh yeah - it also doesn't look like a kid's gaming console and instead looks like a piece of home theater equipment.

Plus, you know that you can get an A2 for ~$400, so you're wrong (of course) about the PS3 being "more affordable than any stand-alone HD DVD," especially for people who have absolutely no interest in playing video games.

You're the last person who should be calling someone else stupid. Go back and learn how to spell and form complete sentences, then maybe you can make fun of another's intelligence.
Anyone who says Blu-Ray is still $1000 is stupid. There are much more affordable options and I will not tolarate obvious desception. True the A2 is cheaper if you have no intrest in gaming but gaming rocks who in there right mind would have no intrest in gaming.
Jimmy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:43 AM   #40  
F91
Plasmatic
 
F91's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Port Orchard, WA
Posts: 2,624
Default

I'm satisfied with the audio outputs of the PS3, but I'm not as ana...er..picky as some audiophiles. The PS3-BD player is pretty spectacular
F91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:48 AM   #41  
Format Neutral?
Thread Starter
 
I WUV HD's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
Anyone who says Blu-Ray is still $1000 is stupid. There are much more affordable options and I will not tolarate obvious desception. True the A2 is cheaper if you have no intrest in gaming but gaming rocks who in there right mind would have no intrest in gaming.
Maybe it's someone who's gotten their "gaming fill" with the 360. I have two 360s and have absolutely no desire to own a PS3. What you need to realize is there's a huge chunk of the population that doesn't give a crap about playing video games and has no interest in putting a game console in their living rooms.

The fact of the matter is, the vast majority of BD players will carry an MSRP of $1000+. CES didn't change this fact.

Meanwhile, HD DVD has the A1, A2, and XA1 that are all currently available for $500 or less. Soon, the A20 will be out with an MSRP of $599. Also, don't forget that for the 10 million 360 owners out there, it only costs $199 to get HD DVD playback.

Your statement about the PS3 being "much more affordable" than HD DVD players is false and you knew it when you typed it. Talk about not tolerating obvious deception...

Last edited by I WUV HD; 01-15-2007 at 10:55 AM..
I WUV HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:21 AM   #42  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 132
Default

look at the powers in the world now? who won the war
Movie Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:22 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands