High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

High Definition Media A place to discuss BD and UHD Content from physical and digital media

Like Tree54Likes

Crazy Bluray pricing!

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #76  
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 
Malanthius's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 843
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
If anyone would like - they can call Ingram Entertainment (1-800-621-1333) who is one of the largest OD wholesale/distributors in the USA. I have called them before about retailers returning OD product and was told; "happens all the time" (BD and DVD)

http://www.ingramentertainment.com/
Funny thing is I don't have to call them for confermation. I think it's common sense. Especially when you look at catalog sales. At the prices places like Best Buy we're trying to get. And how the Bluray section there continues to look like a ghost town.
Malanthius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #77  
Official HDF BD Reviewer
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mississippi, U.S.A. Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert
Posts: 9,657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post
Funny thing is I don't have to call them for confermation. I think it's common sense. Especially when you look at catalog sales. At the prices places like Best Buy we're trying to get. And how the Bluray section there continues to look like a ghost town.
It's exactly the opposite at my local Best Buy. There's almost always at least 3 or 4 people browsing the BD section and usually none in the DVD section. As a matter of fact the only part of the DVD section that I ever see people in is the TV show part of it.
Kosty and JerryDandridge like this.
HD Goofnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #78  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
It's exactly the opposite at my local Best Buy. There's almost always at least 3 or 4 people browsing the BD section and usually none in the DVD section. As a matter of fact the only part of the DVD section that I ever see people in is the TV show part of it.
Even worse than the dvd movie section at BB, would be the music cd section. It's as if the catalog movie dvd and music cd sections are almost like "ghost towns".
morriscroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #79  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
GizmoDVD's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
Even worse than the dvd movie section at BB, would be the music cd section. It's as if the catalog movie dvd and music cd sections are almost like "ghost towns".
They still sell CDs? Mine dumped all but the too 20 or so.
GizmoDVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:06 AM   #80  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
They still sell CDs? Mine dumped all but the too 20 or so.
The nearby BB's still stock music cds.

Albeit it's a very minimal selection. Mostly recent releases and other popular crap like Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, etc ...
morriscroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:51 AM   #81  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,448
Default

These days for many less popular catalog music cd titles or less popular dvd titles, it seems like the few places that stock them are amazon or some other indie online retailers.

WalMart, BestBuy, etc ... don't seem to be interested in stocking such "long tail" titles.
morriscroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:13 AM   #82  
Keeping it F&B
 
TowerGrove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 825
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
The nearby BB's still stock music cds.

Albeit it's a very minimal selection. Mostly recent releases and other popular crap like Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, etc ...
They always tell you to check their website for more selection. When I do that I also price check and then place my order with Amazon.com since they usually have better pricing overall.
Kosty likes this.
TowerGrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #83  
Hidef Junkie
 
ack_bak's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post
Just got back from Walmart. I was amazed to see this stand near checkout. Left side DVDs. Right side Bluray. All the Blurays were priced at 7.88 each!! Titles included. The Other Guys, reign of fire, Tropic Thunder, the Last Starfighter. There were a few other titles. The DVDs were a mix of Disney and other titles. Prices were 14.95!! Sure makes Bluray look like they are giving the product away at those prices. Also makes Bluray look like the not so successful product i see it as. I want to use "failure". But I understand that rubs a couple of you the wrong way. Looking at this display one could walk away thinking that. All things considered.

I did pick up Reign of Fire though. Hard to pass up that movie on Bluray for that price.
I don't understand what is so crazy here. Yes, Blu-Ray catalog titles do sell for under $10. This is really nothing new. Yes, DVD catalog titles often sell for under $10. You have never seen $3-5 DVD's at Walmart before?

No cospiracy theory here, this is what happens with cheap media and catalog titles. I just bought a pile of used Blu's from Hastings fear $2-3 each and many of them are recent releases.

Prsonally, I think this is a good thing. IMHO, the price difference between DVD and Blu really should be no more than a couple dollars.

Last edited by ack_bak; 07-15-2012 at 06:41 PM..
ack_bak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #84  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
GizmoDVD's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
I don't understand what is so crazy here. Yes, Blu-Ray catalog titles do sell for under $10. This is really nothing new. Yes, DVD catalog titles often sell for under $10. You have never seen $3-5 DVD's at Walmart before?

No cospiracy theory here, this is what happens with cheap media and catalog titles. I just bought a pile of used Blu's from Hastings fear $2-3 each and many of them are recent releases.

Prsonally, I think this is a good thing. IMHO, the price difference between DVD and Blu really should be no more than a couple dollars.
Used Blu-rays = no money going back to the studios.

You may think it's good, but the studios don't. Hence why many are farming our their library and/or barely releasing. So enjoy that $10 Blu since that's not enough to help fund another new catalog release.
GizmoDVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #85  
Hidef Junkie
 
ack_bak's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
Used Blu-rays = no money going back to the studios.

You may think it's good, but the studios don't. Hence why many are farming our their library and/or barely releasing. So enjoy that $10 Blu since that's not enough to help fund another new catalog release.
Well I don't work for the studios, and I still buy plenty of catalog and new release titles from retailers, but for $2-3, I figure I might as well buy it used vs renting at Redbox. If I watch it once then sell it, I got my monies worth.

You can't beat Blu-Ray quality for $2-3 a pop to own. I have little reason to go to the theater anymore unless it is a movie I really want to watch.

And hey, at least I am not pirating movies like we know some people do..
ack_bak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:23 PM   #86  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
GizmoDVD's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
Well I don't work for the studios, and I still buy plenty of catalog and new release titles from retailers, but for $2-3, I figure I might as well buy it used vs renting at Redbox. If I watch it once then sell it, I got my monies worth.

You can't beat Blu-Ray quality for $2-3 a pop to own. I have little reason to go to the theater anymore unless it is a movie I really want to watch.

And hey, at least I am not pirating movies like we know some people do..
I don't give a shit either if they make money or not. However, selling new titles for $5 isn't going to help finance new catalog releases.

Renting/Buying Used/Pirating are all the same thing. ZERO money goes back to the studios.
GizmoDVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:42 PM   #87  
Hidef Junkie
 
ack_bak's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
I don't give a shit either if they make money or not. However, selling new titles for $5 isn't going to help finance new catalog releases.

Renting/Buying Used/Pirating are all the same thing. ZERO money goes back to the studios.
Selling DVD's for $5 certainly did not hurt the stupios coffers.. This was and still is a common practice for DVD. All of the titles mentioned in the OP are not brand new releases. All of them are considered catalog. Selling them for $15, $10, $8, or even $3-5 is better than what they will get for streaming..

You honestly think the studios get nothing for a rental? It is really hard to even have a debate with you since you are so bitter you cannot even have an adult discussion.
Kosty likes this.
ack_bak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #88  
Destination: Danger!
 
Dave J's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
I just bought a pile of used Blu's from Hastings fear $2-3 each and many of them are recent releases.
Do those come with the original cases and artwork? I wouldn't mind trying them out if they do.
Dave J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #89  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
GizmoDVD's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
Selling DVD's for $5 certainly did not hurt the stupios coffers.. This was and still is a common practice for DVD. All of the titles mentioned in the OP are not brand new releases. All of them are considered catalog. Selling them for $15, $10, $8, or even $3-5 is better than what they will get for streaming..

You honestly think the studios get nothing for a rental? It is really hard to even have a debate with you since you are so bitter you cannot even have an adult discussion.
Selling DVDs for $5 didn't hurt when DVD was bringing in $10+ billion a year. Blu-ray can barely muster $2 Billion.

Studios get NOTHING from rentals. The rental outlets (Redbox, Blockbuster whatever) buy the discs from them (well, not always thanks to the 28/45 day delay). They don't get additional revenue each time it rents, only the initial purchase (they used to in some cases, but that stopped long ago once Blockbuster and Hollywood ran into money problems and stopped paying them). So it doesn't matter if you rent or not. Studios don't get that cash.

Adult conversation? I'm here debating with you. Don't go TowerGrove on us and take your toys and go home because someone is refuting you. It happens, this is a discussion board.
GizmoDVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #90  
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 46,098
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
Selling DVD's for $5 certainly did not hurt the stupios coffers.. This was and still is a common practice for DVD. All of the titles mentioned in the OP are not brand new releases. All of them are considered catalog. Selling them for $15, $10, $8, or even $3-5 is better than what they will get for streaming..

You honestly think the studios get nothing for a rental? It is really hard to even have a debate with you since you are so bitter you cannot even have an adult discussion.




bruceames, Kosty and GizmoDVD like this.

Last edited by Lee Stewart; 07-15-2012 at 10:40 PM..
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to Crazy Bluray pricing!
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blu-ray pricing thread bruceames High Definition Media 20 07-02-2012 07:01 PM
Gartner: Bluray to win in 2008 quexos High Definition Media 101 02-07-2008 04:36 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:09 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands