High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition DVDs & Movies > High Definition Media
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

High Definition Media A place to discuss BD and UHD Content from physical and digital media RSS - High Definition Media

Like Tree54Likes

Crazy Bluray pricing!

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #181
HDF SUPER-MODERATOR
 
ImRizzo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn & LI,NY ..not a Place, it's an Attitude, *I'm Mixing up a fresh pitcher of KoolAid
Posts: 23,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post
Hey Tower. Ya that was being discussed in another thread. But it's very relevant here. The jump from 15 to 35% is pretty amazing isn't it? That just shows you how devalued Bluray has become. But hey as long as the studios keep releasing some titles it's all good I guess.
Especially when their brought to market at reduced pricing to garner interest, I can live with cheaper prices.
TowerGrove likes this.
__________________
*
LG OLED-55B6P~Oppo UDP203~Sony XBR929~Denon3311CI~Mirage Omnisat V2 Spks w/S10SW~DVP5000~Harmony1100

ImRizzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:40 PM   #182
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
GizmoDVD's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRizzo View Post
Especially when their brought to market at reduced pricing to garner interest, I can live with cheaper prices.
Cheaper prices = poor encodes/audio. It's certainly a trade-off...
__________________
Kosty
GizmoDVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:45 AM   #183
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
1stSilverado's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 153
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRizzo View Post
Especially when their brought to market at reduced pricing to garner interest, I can live with cheaper prices.
I agree a little, but when nothing is brought to market because they cost outweighs the sale and no interest is shown, then cheaper is a failure.
1stSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:42 AM   #184
HDF SUPER-MODERATOR
 
ImRizzo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn & LI,NY ..not a Place, it's an Attitude, *I'm Mixing up a fresh pitcher of KoolAid
Posts: 23,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stSilverado View Post
I agree a little, but when nothing is brought to market because they cost outweighs the sale and no interest is shown, then cheaper is a failure.
What do you think the actual cost is per disc ?
__________________
*
LG OLED-55B6P~Oppo UDP203~Sony XBR929~Denon3311CI~Mirage Omnisat V2 Spks w/S10SW~DVP5000~Harmony1100

ImRizzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #185
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRizzo View Post
What do you think the actual cost is per disc ?
At minimum, there are the royalty fees per disk.


- $0.04 per disc (to the premier bd patent licensing group)
http://www.premier-bd.com/faq_royalty.html

- $0.0975 per disc (to the one blue patent licensing group)
http://www.one-blue.com/royalty-rates/

- $0.04 per disc AACS royalty
http://www.netblender.com/main/resou...ent-producers/
http://www.pacificdisc.com/Article19.html

At minimum if none these fees can be waived, it is $0.1775 per disc royalties. This is not including "fixed" fees.


For fixed fees, there is a $500 fix fee for the AACS title key certificate per glass master.

http://www.aidinc.com/news/090722_aacs.asp


All this is not including the actual costs for manufacturing, authoring, shipping, blu case, etc ... per bluray disk.


So even if blurays end up in the bargain bins at dollar stores (at $1 or $2 a pop), one is still paying a minimum of 17.75 cents royalties for one bluray disk.
morriscroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:41 AM   #186
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Malanthius's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 843
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
At minimum, there are the royalty fees per disk.


- $0.04 per disc (to the premier bd patent licensing group)
http://www.premier-bd.com/faq_royalty.html

- $0.0975 per disc (to the one blue patent licensing group)
http://www.one-blue.com/royalty-rates/

- $0.04 per disc AACS royalty
http://www.netblender.com/main/resou...ent-producers/
http://www.pacificdisc.com/Article19.html

At minimum if none these fees can be waived, it is $0.1775 per disc royalties. This is not including "fixed" fees.


For fixed fees, there is a $500 fix fee for the AACS title key certificate per glass master.

http://www.aidinc.com/news/090722_aacs.asp


All this is not including the actual costs for manufacturing, authoring, shipping, blu case, etc ... per bluray disk.


So even if blurays end up in the bargain bins at dollar stores (at $1 or $2 a pop), one is still paying a minimum of 17.75 cents royalties for one bluray disk.
That can't be right. Can it? I'm trying to figure out how you came to that number. It sounds extremely high and not doable.
Malanthius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #187
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by malanthius View Post
that can't be right. Can it? I'm trying to figure out how you came to that number. It sounds extremely high and not doable.
$0.04 + $0.0975 + $0.04 = $0.1775
morriscroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #188
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,448
Default

This $0.1775 is not including any fixed fees (such as the $500 fee for the AACS title key certificate per glass master).


For fixed fees of any sort, how much they contribute to the cost per bluray disk, is dependent on how many discs are manufactured.

So for a small run of 1000 copies, that $500 AACS title key certificate will end up being a 50 cents per disc fee. (Ditto for 10000 copies -> 5 cents per disk, 100000 copies -> half a penny per disk, etc ...).
morriscroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:27 AM   #189
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,448
Default

The two bluray organizations which actively collect patent royalties represent:


Premier BD Patent Licensing Group

- Disney Enterprises, Inc.
- Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
- Columbia Technology Ventures
- Thomson Licensing (S.A.S)
- Toshiba Corporation
- Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Inc.

http://www.premier-bd.com/about.html


One-Blue LLC

- Cyberlink Corporation
- Dell Global B.V.
- Fujitsu Limited
- Hewlett-Packard Company
- Hitachi Consumer Electronics Ltd.
- JVC KENWOOD Corporation
- Koninklijke Philips Electronics N.V.
- LG Electronics Inc.
- Panasonic Corporation
- Pioneer Corporation
- Samsung Electronics Company Ltd.
- Sharp Corporation
- Sony Corporation
- Taiyo Yuden Company Ltd.
- Yamaha Corporation

http://www.one-blue.com/licensors/


Not surprising the bluray disk royalty rate for One-Blue is slightly more than two times the fee for Premier-BD. One-Blue represents 15 patent holders, while Premier-BD represents 6 patent holders.
morriscroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:41 AM   #190
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,448
Default

For comparison purposes, the lowest royalties on movie dvd disks are $0.0375 per disk.

US$0.0375 per disc for any semi-annual reporting period beginning on or after July 1, 2011, for those licensees with no overdue or incorrect royalty reports or overdue or underpaid royalties (including back royalties) and otherwise in compliance with the DVD6C License Agreement:
(i) as of the due date for payment of royalties for the immediately preceding semi-annual reporting period, or
(ii) to qualify for the reduced rate for the second half of 2011, as of, and only if the DVD6C License Agreement has been entered into on or before, January 31, 2012,
provided that a licensee who otherwise qualifies for the US$0.0375 per disc rate shall be subject to the US$0.04 per disc rate for any period for which an audit has revealed an underpayment of royalties of greater than 3%.


http://www.dvd6cla.com/royaltyrate.html


How much this per disc rate will go down as patents expire over the next several years, is unknown.
morriscroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:56 AM   #191
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 45,824
Default

The cost of a disc is more than just the replication cost and license/royalty fees. You have to put something on that disc don't you? You know, the cost of the transfer, authoring, restoration and/or cleanup of the film elements, etc.
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #192
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Malanthius's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 843
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
$0.04 + $0.0975 + $0.04 = $0.1775
Lol. My mistake. I thought you said $17.75. Not 17.75 CENTS. Hehe.
Malanthius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:34 PM   #193
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
The cost of a disc is more than just the replication cost and license/royalty fees. You have to put something on that disc don't you? You know, the cost of the transfer, authoring, restoration and/or cleanup of the film elements, etc.
Definitely.

I would guess these are more fixed costs.
morriscroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #194
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,448
Default

For manufacturing bluray disks, here's some quotes for "retail ready" bluray disks. (Via googling).


For 10000 "retail ready" bluray disks:
- $1.79 per disc (single layer)
- $2.90 per disc (double layer)

http://www.pacificdisc.com/PricingBluRay.html
morriscroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #195
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
1stSilverado's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 153
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
This $0.1775 is not including any fixed fees (such as the $500 fee for the AACS title key certificate per glass master).


For fixed fees of any sort, how much they contribute to the cost per bluray disk, is dependent on how many discs are manufactured.

So for a small run of 1000 copies, that $500 AACS title key certificate will end up being a 50 cents per disc fee. (Ditto for 10000 copies -> 5 cents per disk, 100000 copies -> half a penny per disk, etc ...).
Thank you for your work here. I was going to say that there is more costs involved than price of a disc, but you went that extra mile .
1stSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition DVDs & Movies > High Definition Media
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads to Crazy Bluray pricing!
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blu-ray pricing thread bruceames High Definition Media 20 07-02-2012 07:01 PM
Gartner: Bluray to win in 2008 quexos High Definition Media 101 02-07-2008 04:36 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:38 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands