High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

High Definition Media A place to discuss BD and UHD Content from physical and digital media

Like Tree259Likes

Optical (Blu-ray/DVD) and Digital (EST/UV) Sales Thread

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #931  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
mikemorel's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 884
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombsnizzle View Post
Actually it proves if people really like a product from a company they will buy it regardless of DRM.

Is that why iTunes music sales have decreased since they removed DRM??? Look it up. And once again I challenge you to show me DRM decreases sales. You wont be able to find absolute proof - in fact you will find services like Steam which have DRM and are hugely popular.

A few days ago you said most people don't know what DRM is. Yet you still say it is the #1 reason for poor digital sales.

iTunes is safe. Apple is safe. Yet still - sales lack.

Apple is known and trusted worldwide.

UV isn't even available in Canada yet is it?
I'm done here. I have already been over all of this countless times. What a waste of time.
mikemorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #932  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemorel View Post
I'm done here. I have already been over all of this countless times. What a waste of time.
Actually you are done because your argument that DRM is the #1 reason for poor digital sales cannot be proven, especially in light of evidence that DRM does not negatively impact the sale of other related media (music, video games). Or conversely that the removal of DRM significantly increases sales.

Essentially, your excuse for poor digital sales is invalid, so yes, I guess you are done.
bombsnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #933  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,749
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemorel View Post
And if you buy Vudu movies, and Vudu decides to jack up prices, or they piss you off for some reason, then you are stuck with a library of purchased movies on a service that you hate.

Consumers want standards when it comes to digital distribution. They want "safe". They want competition.
It really is that simple.

Can you imagine how poor sales would be if you each retailer had it's own proprietary OD system?

As it is, Blu-ray growth is stalling at ~ $2 billion. Figure it would be about 20% without cross-industry compatibility.
PSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #934  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSound View Post
It really is that simple.

Can you imagine how poor sales would be if you each retailer had it's own proprietary OD system?

As it is, Blu-ray growth is stalling at ~ $2 billion. Figure it would be about 20% without cross-industry compatibility.
no it isn't. iTunes for all intents and purposes is a standard. people still arent buying. because they don't want to own digital movies. they want to rent them.

when UV is a huge failure you will realize this, and consequently have to eat your words.

lol at once again deflecting atrocious digital sales by referencing bluray. pathetic and paper thin.
bombsnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #935  
Super Moderator
Thread Starter
 
bruceames's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Novato, CA
Posts: 17,126
Default

We haven't had any new digital sales numbers to discuss for over 2 months, so how about we wait until the DEG report comes in before we continue to harp on how bad the historical sales are?

There is no deflecting to Blu-ray sales because we've had recent sales data on Blu-ray. It's the deflecting to the digital sales when there has been no recent sales data to deflect to, that seems to be the issue.
bruceames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #936  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
The box office strength affects sales no differently in the high volume weeks as in any other time of year.
So you're saying that they affected sales in December?

Quote:
The difference in the high volume weeks is purely seasonal sales.
It's a combination of strong box office support and holiday shopping. You yourself just said that box office affects sales.
cakefoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #937  
Super Moderator
Thread Starter
 
bruceames's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Novato, CA
Posts: 17,126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post
So you're saying that they affected sales in December?
Sure they did, in proportion to what they would any other time of year. If a $300 million box office week generates an average $40 HMM week during Q1-3, and $15 million of that is base, then $25 million on average is new release power sales. Whether it's in December or April, it should be about the same.

Quote:
It's a combination of strong box office support and holiday shopping.
Of course. The only question is the proportion of that combination. The week before Christmas will see around 75-80% holiday + base shopping and 20-25% affected by new releases.

After all, there are over 5000 Blu-ray titles to choose from, about 1500 more than were available in 2010.
bruceames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #938  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Malanthius's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 843
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombsnizzle View Post
When have I given bluray sales a "pass". Maybe you have me mixed up with someone else.

$400M in EST for the first 6 months of 2011 cannot be labeled as anything other than an outright failure in light of the multitude of services so common in tens of millions of US households, in particular iTunes and xbox.

iPads are hotter than the sun - why aren't people buying movies for their iPads??? No one here apparently has the balls to answer the question honestly. All I ever get is "cross-industry support" and "DRM/proprietary" excuses. No one can prove DRM hurts sales.

APPLE DOMINATES THE ENTERTAINMENT AND ELECTRONICS INDUSTRY. There is no debate. They should be selling more movies. Why aren't they?
I'll tell you why. Piracy. And people ripping thier DVDs to watch on there.
Malanthius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:07 PM   #939  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,749
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Sure they did, in proportion to what they would any other time of year. If a $300 million box office week generates an average $40 HMM week during Q1-3, and $15 million of that is base, then $25 million on average is new release power sales. Whether it's in December or April, it should be about the same.



Of course. The only question is the proportion of that combination. The week before Christmas will see around 75-80% holiday + base shopping and 20-25% affected by new releases.

After all, there are over 5000 Blu-ray titles to choose from, about 1500 more than were available in 2010.
I would also add that pricing fluidity plays a big role.

If studios opt to boost BD by pricing the combo packs lower than the DVD only SKU, then it will artificially boost "Blu-ray revenue" as people will gladly take the free BD disc even if they place no inherent value on it.
PSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:21 PM   #940  
Super Moderator
Thread Starter
 
bruceames's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Novato, CA
Posts: 17,126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSound View Post
I would also add that pricing fluidity plays a big role.

If studios opt to boost BD by pricing the combo packs lower than the DVD only SKU, then it will artificially boost "Blu-ray revenue" as people will gladly take the free BD disc even if they place no inherent value on it.
I actually had never seen the BD combo priced lower than the DVD until last week. The only logical explanation that makes sense to me what that certain BD combos sold well under expectations (Apes and Panda 2 were known to have disappointing sales), and so were priced to move. Evidently the matching DVDs didn't fall into that category and therefore we had that oddity of the DVD priced higher than the BD + DVD.

As an illustration of how bad the BDs of those two movies were selling compared to the DVD, the week before Christmas Panda 2 had only a 21% share, while Apes had a 37% share. Those shares were about 10-15% under what you'd expect from those genres.
bruceames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:28 PM   #941  
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 47,284
Default

How to Save the Movies: A 2012 Box-Office Game Plan

Quote:
As the new year rings in, moviegoing has dropped to a 16-year low, domestic revenues are down for the first time in six years and young people are AWOL. So how does Hollywood solve the problem?

Just before Christmas, the unthinkable occurred: Hollywood studios, the fabled masters of managing headlines, ran out of spin. There was no getting around the cold, hard truth that movie attendance had tumbled to a 16-year low and that the domestic box office was in trouble. Revenues for 2011 topped out at $10.21 billion, down at least 3.4 percent from 2010, following six years of relative growth. There were a string of embarrassing and costly studio misses, from Mars Needs Moms to Cowboys & Aliens, although the year ended on a high note with a strong holiday, led improbably, some might have guessed given Tom Cruise's ups and downs, by Mission: Impossible -- Ghost Protocol.
Quote:
Throughout 2011, many studio executives insisted the domestic revenue gap would close, but it didn't. True, the dip was exacerbated by having no Avatar in the first quarter of 2011, but something more ominous was afoot. Mega-opening weekends were few and far between, spawning the sardonic joke that $20 million was the new $100 million opening. Meanwhile, the downturn at the U.S. box office continues to degrade the ever-tenuous distributor-exhibitor relationship. Coupled with the battle between studios and theater owners over premium VOD -- which came to a head over Universal's Tower Heist-- the tension is sure to escalate as Hollywood questions whether ticket prices are too high and theater owners blame the product, harkening back to the cliche, "It's the movies, stupid." Finger-pointing aside, studios and theater owners together will have to face these challenges in 2012:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...llywood-278813
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:31 PM   #942  
Super Moderator
Thread Starter
 
bruceames's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Novato, CA
Posts: 17,126
Default

2011 was the 3rd highest grossing year on record. How bad can that be?

If the studios have run out of spin, it's only because that article has monopolized it all.
bruceames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:35 PM   #943  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,749
Default

Hmmmm.....


Quote:
Just before Christmas, the unthinkable occurred: Hollywood studios, the fabled masters of managing headlines, ran out of spin.
Obviously they are hiring the wrong people. There seems to be no end to the spin for OD sales, which are doing far worse than BO.
PSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:46 AM   #944  
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 47,284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
2011 was the 3rd highest grossing year on record. How bad can that be?
There's a bit of a conundrum there. 3rd highest BO take but admissions fell to 1995 level

Quote:
If the studios have run out of spin, it's only because that article has monopolized it all.
Oh the studios have plenty of spin left. Just read what the CEO's are saying about their HV results. Just Google: Citi Global Entertainment, Media & Telecommunications Conference in San Francisco which took place yesterday.

This will get you started:

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/war...allenged-26035

Last edited by Lee Stewart; 01-06-2012 at 04:50 AM..
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:51 AM   #945  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
mikemorel's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 884
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post
I'll tell you why. Piracy. And people ripping thier DVDs to watch on there.
Yep. There are what, 50 billion DVDs out there? With billions more to follow. It will be a decades long problem for studios.
mikemorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:18 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands