High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

High Definition Media A place to discuss BD and UHD Content from physical and digital media

Like Tree260Likes

Optical (Blu-ray/DVD) and Digital (EST/UV) Sales Thread

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2011, 11:25 AM   #631  
Super Moderator
Thread Starter
 
bruceames's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Novato, CA
Posts: 17,128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSound View Post
I honestly don't expect the unit numbers to continue very long. I would be surprised if you ended up with full numbers through 2012.

Releasing them in the first place was a PR ploy to deflect from poor revenue numbers, which is ironic since in Q1 2011 the PR spin was that revenue would be boosted in Q4 because BD pricing had stabilized.


It will be great to see while we can, but that much data does not help the PR folks spin their story (a difficult job already), so I expect it to abruptly cease at some point in 2012.
Hopefully not. There didn't seem to be any indication that it's only temporary, but if it is, then it's usefulness would be very limited indeed.
bruceames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:20 PM   #632  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
1stSilverado's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 153
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post
Ha ha. Nice comment saying in a nice way that I am getting paid to promote Blu-ray. You know that's out of bounds yet you persist.

I have been following this stuff since 2005 at the beginning of the format war when I supported HD DVD over Blu-ray long before I ever met you or your personal promotional spin on Netflix streaming.

I'll continue following this as a hobby for a long time as it interests me and not because of me being paid to do it in any way shape or form.
I think he complemented you, but if you want to be known as unprofessional and can't handle current situations, I guess we can accommodate you.
1stSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:20 PM   #633  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Malanthius's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 843
Default

I'm giving you the benifit of the doubt. But I do find it interesting that you never answered my question of what you do for a living. Everyone else didn't mind saying. Why such secrecy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post
Ha ha. Nice comment saying in a nice way that I am getting paid to promote Blu-ray. You know that's out of bounds yet you persist.

I have been following this stuff since 2005 at the beginning of the format war when I supported HD DVD over Blu-ray long before I ever met you or your personal promotional spin on Netflix streaming.

I'll continue following this as a hobby for a long time as it interests me and not because of me being paid to do it in any way shape or form.
Malanthius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:33 AM   #634  
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 47,440
Default

'Rise of the Planet of the Apes' Debuts Atop Home Video Sales Charts

Quote:
Rise of the Planet of the Apes generated 49% of its first-week sales from Blu-ray Disc, while the high-definition version accounted for 36% of total Kung Fu Panda 2 disc sales.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...blu-ray-275966
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:24 AM   #635  
Home Theater Enthusiast
 
Kosty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,063
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSound View Post
I honestly don't expect the unit numbers to continue very long. I would be surprised if you ended up with full numbers through 2012.

Releasing them in the first place was a PR ploy to deflect from poor revenue numbers, which is ironic since in Q1 2011 the PR spin was that revenue would be boosted in Q4 because BD pricing had stabilized.


It will be great to see while we can, but that much data does not help the PR folks spin their story (a difficult job already), so I expect it to abruptly cease at some point in 2012.
Not true. I had requested it many months before and was told we would get that data in November after we had a complete year of the new sales methodology and the Sun-Sat revenue sequence to work with.

At the beginning of the year we will have a complete set of 2010 and 2011 data to work with to go along with the 2012 data on a weekly basis going forward.
Kosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:34 AM   #636  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,749
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post
Not true. I had requested it many months before and was told we would get that data in November after we had a complete year of the new sales methodology and the Sun-Sat revenue sequence to work with.

At the beginning of the year we will have a complete set of 2010 and 2011 data to work with to go along with the 2012 data on a weekly basis going forward.
If December 31, 2012 comes around and we are still receiving that data, I will say I was wrong.

Something tells me if that data ceases before that date you will be spinning like a top about why it is no longer available.
PSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:35 AM   #637  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,749
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post
I'm giving you the benifit of the doubt. But I do find it interesting that you never answered my question of what you do for a living. Everyone else didn't mind saying. Why such secrecy?
My guess is you will never receive a definitive answer.
PSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:35 AM   #638  
Super Moderator
Thread Starter
 
bruceames's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Novato, CA
Posts: 17,128
Default

Nielsen First Alert ratios are up:

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/top...k-ended-121811

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/top...k-ended-121811

Rise of the Planet of the Apes has the top BD spot, as expected. But The Hangover 2 has a healthy 35% share, which likely means that Apes didn't sell all that well. Normal week 2 attrition rates on Tuesday releases are around 60-80%, which the higher selling titles suffering the highest attrition rates. Hangover 2 sold 950K TN units, which is well above "average" but still well below what top tier titles sell. So being conservative and figuring 70% attrition, that means Hangover 2 week two sales are 285k, putting Apes sales at around 815k, and Panda 2 sales at around 490k.

Also worth mentioning is the attrition of the week two BD share of top titles. Here's a few examples:

Cowboys & Aliens: 55% week 1 ---> 46% week 2
The Help: 24% ---> 16%
Hangover 2: 44% ---> 33%
The Smurfs: 42% --> 29%
Super 8: 59% --> 41%
HP 7.2: 49% --> 42%
Cars 2: 47% --> 33%
Captain America: 68% -- 54%


So you can see, the Blu-ray week 1 share is really not representative of the true sustained share over time. Blu-ray share attrition is a point that is rarely brought up...
bruceames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:10 AM   #639  
Steelbook Addict
 
chipvideo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 678
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Nielsen First Alert ratios are up:

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/top...k-ended-121811

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/top...k-ended-121811

Rise of the Planet of the Apes has the top BD spot, as expected. But The Hangover 2 has a healthy 35% share, which likely means that Apes didn't sell all that well. Normal week 2 attrition rates on Tuesday releases are around 60-80%, which the higher selling titles suffering the highest attrition rates. Hangover 2 sold 950K TN units, which is well above "average" but still well below what top tier titles sell. So being conservative and figuring 70% attrition, that means Hangover 2 week two sales are 285k, putting Apes sales at around 815k, and Panda 2 sales at around 490k.

Also worth mentioning is the attrition of the week two BD share of top titles. Here's a few examples:

Cowboys & Aliens: 55% week 1 ---> 46% week 2
The Help: 24% ---> 16%
Hangover 2: 44% ---> 33%
The Smurfs: 42% --> 29%
Super 8: 59% --> 41%
HP 7.2: 49% --> 42%
Cars 2: 47% --> 33%
Captain America: 68% -- 54%


So you can see, the Blu-ray week 1 share is really not representative of the true sustained share over time. Blu-ray share attrition is a point that is rarely brought up...
We used to bring it up all the time. Kosty used to say it got better over time, but facts prove otherwise. The reason for its decline is very simple. Blu-ray is more front loaded with pre-orders from the Hi Tech crowd.
chipvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:22 PM   #640  
Keeping it F&B
 
TowerGrove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 825
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post
I'm giving you the benifit of the doubt. But I do find it interesting that you never answered my question of what you do for a living. Everyone else didn't mind saying. Why such secrecy?
OOPS, sorry guys...I never answered tat question, you deserve an answer. I will now:

Nothing too exciting, I am currently a homemaker stay at home mom. Beforehand I was a Teacher and a Dancer. I have been in two long running plays on Broadway in NY. Other than our production being filmed several times for mostly Japanese Television, and me being one of the founding members of the Saint Louis Film Society, I have no connection to the industry whatsoever.
TowerGrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #641  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,749
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
So you can see, the Blu-ray week 1 share is really not representative of the true sustained share over time. Blu-ray share attrition is a point that is rarely brought up...
It is hard to spin it as a positive, so you likely will never see any charts or graphs of that data.
PSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:18 PM   #642  
Super Moderator
Thread Starter
 
bruceames's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Novato, CA
Posts: 17,128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipvideo View Post
We used to bring it up all the time. Kosty used to say it got better over time, but facts prove otherwise. The reason for its decline is very simple. Blu-ray is more front loaded with pre-orders from the Hi Tech crowd.
So that helps explain why BD week 2 attrition is so high. You get the double whammy of the normal attrition plus the falling BD share piled on top of that.
bruceames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:32 PM   #643  
Steelbook Addict
 
chipvideo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 678
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
So that helps explain why BD week 2 attrition is so high. You get the double whammy of the normal attrition plus the falling BD share piled on top of that.
Thats a Rodger!!!
chipvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #644  
Super Moderator
Thread Starter
 
bruceames's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Novato, CA
Posts: 17,128
Default




Kosty's version of my table
bruceames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:41 PM   #645  
Steelbook Addict
 
chipvideo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 678
Default

Kinda looks like including black friday until now we are flat YOY for those 3 weeks.
chipvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:39 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands