High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition DVDs & Movies > High Definition Media
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

High Definition Media A place to discuss BD and UHD Content from physical and digital media RSS - High Definition Media

Like Tree249Likes

Optical (Blu-ray/DVD) and Digital (EST/UV) Sales Thread

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #1861
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,749
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerGrove View Post
Would this have an effect on disc sales since their purchases would be made through retail? Im not sure if this is correct or not?
It should have a dual impact.

First, all discs at retail will be counted as sell through sales.

Second, all discs will hit the used market (likely at ~ $7) starting at 3 weeks after release (on average).


In the past, that flooding of the used market was a major concern for studios as it trained certain consumers that they could wait a few weeks and pick up discs at a fraction of their new cost. And the last thing the studios want is consumers trained to view their content at a lower value.
PSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #1862
Home Theater Enthusiast
 
Kosty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,063
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerGrove View Post
Would this have an effect on disc sales since their purchases would be made through retail? Im not sure if this is correct or not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSound View Post
It should have a dual impact.

First, all discs at retail will be counted as sell through sales.

Second, all discs will hit the used market (likely at ~ $7) starting at 3 weeks after release (on average).


In the past, that flooding of the used market was a major concern for studios as it trained certain consumers that they could wait a few weeks and pick up discs at a fraction of their new cost. And the last thing the studios want is consumers trained to view their content at a lower value.
It would have some impact but the unit volumes involved are still relatively small compared to the normal volumes of the types of major releases that Redbox or Netflix carries in inventory.

Some lower priority titles would also just get ignored and not carried at all while some hotter titles would get more copies.

When Redbox used the workaround method before it carried less in inventory in each box than it did with studio agreements supplying the rental inventory.

Its still a noticeable amount of units though that would count as sell through sales if they were bought at retail plus they get resold as well.
Kosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:01 PM   #1863
Home Theater Enthusiast
 
Kosty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,063
Default

Immortals will be in the week ending 3/11/12 data set.

Quote:
Approximately 50% of all first-day Immortals disc sales were of the high-def variety.

...

After just 24 hours in the market, the Immortals Blu-ray was tracking to be the best-selling disc thus far in 2012


Quote:
Fox Parties with Playboy for ‘Immortals’ Release


7 Mar, 2012
By: Chris Tribbey




LOS ANGELES — Playboy founder Hugh Hefner and his Playboy Mansion always throw good parties. Throw in a sexy blockbuster film like Immortals, and you’ve got a bash for the ages.

As much fun as 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment’s March 6 event was, the studio could have held an Immortals Blu-ray Disc release party in some random back alley. Fox would have still enjoyed the same launch-day success it had with this entertaining epic.

“Fox is the greatest partner to deliver [Immortals] into homes,” said Craig Flores, executive producer of the film, which pulled in more than $217 million at the worldwide box office. “I mean, look at this release party. Nobody needs to tell Fox what to do when it comes to promotion, or how to get home entertainment into the home.”

After just 24 hours in the market, the Immortals Blu-ray was tracking to be the best-selling disc thus far in 2012, Fox representatives said.

Approximately 50% of all first-day Immortals disc sales were of the high-def variety. That’s a far cry from a year ago, when new Blu-ray releases from the studio garnered less than 20% of the disc pie. It’s excellent news for Fox, which has been advertising Immortals as the first “must-own” Blu-ray of the year.


Fox released three disc versions of Immortals: DVD ($29.98), a Blu-ray combo with digital copy ($39.99), and a 3D Blu-ray combo with digital copy ($49.99). If action-adventure fans have 3D at home, there’s no question which version they should choose, Flores said.

“We had a huge [theatrical] release in 3D, so I think fans appreciate it that way,” he said. “People who have 3D in the home, all the more power [to them].”

Fox brought out plenty of talent for the event, though it was actor Bruce Boxleitner (Tron, Tron: Legacy) who extolled the virtues of 3D most succinctly.

“We’re expanding the way we tell stories now,” he said. “I know there’s a lot of speculation about what business [3D] will do, but I will tell you it’s spot on.” 3D receipts accounted for roughly two-thirds of the film’s opening weekend box office in November, according to BoxOfficeMojo.com.

On the Blu-ray versions, Fox includes more than an hour of bonus features, including an alternate opening, two alternate endings, a pair of behind-the-scenes featurettes, a graphic novel and deleted scenes.

For Immortals actor Corey Sevier (Apollo), the first choice on what to watch after the movie is an easy one.

“I’m probably going to look for deleted scenes,” he laughed. “Because I hope I’m going to show up in a few of those. The alternate ending, opening. It’s going to be exciting.”


http://www.homemediamagazine.com/blu...-release-26613
Kosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #1864
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Malanthius's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 843
Default

All I see from these story's is that less people are buying DVDs allowing Bluray to "look" better percentage wise. People who still collect and want Bluray are starting to outnumber people who still collect on DVD who will not move to Bluray. I'd say if they haven't moved yet and are still collecting DVD? That means they may never make the move. Not when they could have got into a Bluray player dirt cheap by now. Doesn't look good for the format IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post
Immortals will be in the week ending 3/11/12 data set.





http://www.homemediamagazine.com/blu...-release-26613
Malanthius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #1865
Home Theater Enthusiast
 
Kosty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,063
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malanthius
Doesn't look good for the format IMO.
Hardly a surprise. Nothing has looked good to you for the format since its launch. j/k

Kinda have to see the results before saying that or are you just assuming sales are going to be low so that the Blu-ray unit marketshare will be high because of that. That would see to be contradicted by the high Blu-ray sales being projected.

But in this case, the point was not so much the philosophical cosmic discussion on Blu-ray ever going to replace DVD's revenues or fully cover its decline. It was more on the news that this specific title not only had an initial high Blu-ray marketshare which is pretty expected for its genre but also that it is on track to be the best selling Blu-ray title for the year and will probably punch above its TBO weight class for Blu-ray sales. I do not remember this title being on the discussion radar before.
Kosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #1866
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Malanthius's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 843
Default

Sales? No. Has never looked good to me. Picture quality? That looks good! . I see Imortals as 300 part 2. Total gamer genre. So I understand why it is selling the way it is. Lots of games systems out there that happen to have a Bluray drive in it. That alone will give it a boost. Plus it's an action movie which also helps sell with non gamer consumers.

My point is I think a lot of the percentages are inflated by the fact that collectors are a dying breed. Those that still want to collect I expect to move to Bluray. I'm shocked at how many still collect that have not moved on to Bluray. Hard to get my head around that. But this fact doesn't sit well with me and exposes how poorly Bluray has been accepted by mainstream consumers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post
Hardly a surprise. Nothing has looked good to you for the format since its launch. j/k

Kinda have to see the results before saying that or are you just assuming sales are going to be low so that the Blu-ray unit marketshare will be high because of that. That would see to be contradicted by the high Blu-ray sales being projected.

But in this case, the point was not so much the philosophical cosmic discussion on Blu-ray ever going to replace DVD's revenues or fully cover its decline. It was more on the news that this specific title not only had an initial high Blu-ray marketshare which is pretty expected for its genre but also that it is on track to be the best selling Blu-ray title for the year and will probably punch above its TBO weight class for Blu-ray sales. I do not remember this title being on the discussion radar before.
Malanthius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:48 PM   #1867
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,730
Default

I dont think its as simple as collectors vs non collectors. I think theres still alot of collectors out there still watching on their 40 inch tvs. At this point I think blu ray is growing as the home theater crowd is growing.
DonnyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #1868
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 44,199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post
Sales? No. Has never looked good to me. Picture quality? That looks good! . I see Imortals as 300 part 2. Total gamer genre. So I understand why it is selling the way it is. Lots of games systems out there that happen to have a Bluray drive in it. That alone will give it a boost. Plus it's an action movie which also helps sell with non gamer consumers.

My point is I think a lot of the percentages are inflated by the fact that collectors are a dying breed. Those that still want to collect I expect to move to Bluray. I'm shocked at how many still collect that have not moved on to Bluray. Hard to get my head around that. But this fact doesn't sit well with me and exposes how poorly Bluray has been accepted by mainstream consumers.
I don't think it's BD's fault. The format itself is the best available as far as PQ and AQ. The blame lies in the shattered economy which forced many consumers to tighten their belts when it comes to impulse buying and the availability of super cheap rentals.

When the rental versus purchase ratio was 4 to 1 back in DVD's heyday, it was much easier to justify a purchase then it is today where that ratio is now 12 or 15 to 1.

PS: It cost me $70 to fill my gas tank yesterday.
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #1869
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
1stSilverado's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 153
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
I don't think it's BD's fault. The format itself is the best available as far as PQ and AQ. The blame lies in the shattered economy which forced many consumers to tighten their belts when it comes to impulse buying and the availability of super cheap rentals.

When the rental versus purchase ratio was 4 to 1 back in DVD's heyday, it was much easier to justify a purchase then it is today where that ratio is now 12 or 15 to 1.

PS: It cost me $70 to fill my gas tank yesterday.
Consumers were forced to tighten belts, and it did have an effect on the entertainment budget, but renting versus buying is the product itself and not the price.
There is little quality in movies which makes wasting $2 on a stinker easier to swallow rather than $20.
If a movie is worth watching, it will be purchased.
1stSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:50 PM   #1870
Super Moderator
 
bruceames's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Novato, CA
Posts: 17,083
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
I don't think it's BD's fault. The format itself is the best available as far as PQ and AQ. The blame lies in the shattered economy which forced many consumers to tighten their belts when it comes to impulse buying and the availability of super cheap rentals.

When the rental versus purchase ratio was 4 to 1 back in DVD's heyday, it was much easier to justify a purchase then it is today where that ratio is now 12 or 15 to 1.

PS: It cost me $70 to fill my gas tank yesterday.
If it was the shattered economy then OD sales would have improved last fall instead of declining a record 12% in Q4 as consumer holiday spending was well up from the prior year.

And if it is the economy then we would fully expect OD sell-through to rebound to previous levels as so does the economy. But that's not going to happen of course, because the economy is just a small part of why OD sales have plummeted to begin with (my guess is 10% of the reason).

No, it's not Blu-ray's "fault", but that still doesn't make it any less a failure. Even VHS was bringing in over $6 billion in sell-through alone during its heyday (quite a bit more when adjusted for inflation). Blu-ray will be lucky to peak at 1/2 of that.
bruceames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #1871
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,749
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
If it was the shattered economy then OD sales would have improved last fall instead of declining a record 12% in Q4 as consumer holiday spending was well up from the prior year.

And if it is the economy then we would fully expect OD sell-through to rebound to previous levels as so does the economy. But that's not going to happen of course, because the economy is just a small part of why OD sales have plummeted to begin with (my guess is 10% of the reason).

No, it's not Blu-ray's "fault", but that still doesn't make it any less a failure. Even VHS was bringing in over $6 billion in sell-through alone during its heyday (quite a bit more when adjusted for inflation). Blu-ray will be lucky to peak at 1/2 of that.
Very well said.

That pretty much echoes my view of the situation.
PSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #1872
Super Moderator
 
bruceames's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Novato, CA
Posts: 17,083
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyDC View Post
I dont think its as simple as collectors vs non collectors. I think theres still alot of collectors out there still watching on their 40 inch tvs. At this point I think blu ray is growing as the home theater crowd is growing.
Good point Donny. When you have smaller TVs like 42" and under, you really don't need Blu-ray (unless you sit relatively close). Blu-ray growth is being driven by the growth in HDTV average size, and by the studios packing DVDs in the BLu-ray SKU.

But essentially you're right, Blu-ray is growing as the HT crowd is growing, which, without studio intervention, would relegate it to a niche product. That's why the Blu-ray market share is still only 24% after nearly six years of being on the market. DVD had already taken over VHS by this time.
bruceames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #1873
Home Theater Enthusiast
 
Kosty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,063
Default

Well the change and upgrade from Blu-ray from DVD is nowhere near the change from VHS to DVD in many ways including price, quality, performance and form factor.

That's besides we are in the second decade of the 21st century in an environment where many more entertainment options exists than what DVD faced in its growth years.

But Blu-ray continues to grow year after year in units and growing Blu-ray unit and revenue marketshares for new releases and in general are not just all because DVD or OD in general is declining. Especially for new releases, its because more Blu-ray units are being sold as well. Blu-ray units are still growing faster than OD units are declining.

Its not like Blu-ray units sold are standing still and percentages are growing for its marketshare only because DVD is declining.

Many people are upgrading to Blu-ray from DVD even if that rate is slower than it was from VHS to DVD.

Last edited by Kosty; 03-07-2012 at 05:30 PM..
Kosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #1874
Home Theater Enthusiast
 
Kosty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,063
Default

On the subject of Immortals though.

300 did do well on both HD DVD and Blu-ray for the time of its release.

If Immortals is going to be the best selling Blu-ray in units for the year and it was not heavily discounted, then that's going to do well in the head to head competition for week 10 of this year. Week 10 last year did $30.85 M.

Immortals with a Tuesday release for week 10 this year should do well against that if it turns out to be the best selling Blu-ray of the year.



Code:
10  03/12/11  146.96  -24.4%  116.11  -30.8%  30.85  +16.5%  20.99%  36.81% T20
Kosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #1875
Home Theater Enthusiast
 
Kosty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,063
Default

Week ending 3/04/12

Blu-ray unit marketshares:

51% Hugo
39% Puss in Boots

Quote:
On Nielsen’s dedicated Blu-ray Disc sales chart, Hugo narrowly beat Puss in Boots for the top spot. Nielsen data shows that Hugo generated 51% of its total unit sales from the Blu-ray Disc version, as opposed to 39% for Puss.
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/res...bd-sales-26615
Kosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition DVDs & Movies > High Definition Media
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:54 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2004 - 2008, High Def Forum