High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

High Definition Media A place to discuss BD and UHD Content from physical and digital media

Are you excited about 3D BD?

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2010, 07:40 AM   #121  
High Def fan
Thread Starter
 
sigill's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: United kingdom-Manchester
Age: 40
Posts: 2,975
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
The same issues that existed 5 years ago exist today. They aren't solving them as rapidily as many people think they are.

Auto 3D is not a new technology. Been around about a decade.
I didn't know that, i thought it was a brand new technology they had just produced. It looks like 3D glasses are going to be needed for a good while yet then.
sigill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:03 AM   #122  
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,290
Default

I am guessing for about 10 years before they can come up with glass-less 3DTVs that are not uber expensive and can be possibly viewed at multiple angles & distances. SO I think anyone interested in 3D should not wait for models that don't need glasses.
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:54 PM   #123  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
bw0812's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 72
Default

No, because I'm myopic, I don't want wear another glasses on one glassess...
bw0812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:42 AM   #124  
Tom Baker (1974-1981)
 
Super XP's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto, ON. Canada
Posts: 5,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigill View Post
I didn't know that, i thought it was a brand new technology they had just produced. It looks like 3D glasses are going to be needed for a good while yet then.
Which is one reason why I wouldn't touch the 3D.
I am pretty sure many won't either.
Super XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:21 AM   #125  
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super XP View Post
Which is one reason why I wouldn't touch the 3D.
I am pretty sure many won't either.
Have you checked out the Panasonic VT20 demo at Best Buy yet? You might change your mind.
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:54 PM   #126  
Tom Baker (1974-1981)
 
Super XP's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto, ON. Canada
Posts: 5,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC5 View Post
Have you checked out the Panasonic VT20 demo at Best Buy yet? You might change your mind.
I've seen a few demos and some do look good but the problem I have is wearing the glasses. There's no way I am going to wear 3D glasses in the comfort of my home watching a movie. It's bad enough I wear sun glasses all day at work let alone in my theatre room. Give me a glassless 3D solution that that looks awesome for a great price, and I may reconsider.
Super XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:50 PM   #127  
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super XP View Post
I've seen a few demos and some do look good but the problem I have is wearing the glasses. There's no way I am going to wear 3D glasses in the comfort of my home watching a movie. It's bad enough I wear sun glasses all day at work let alone in my theatre room. Give me a glassless 3D solution that that looks awesome for a great price, and I may reconsider.
Look like you will be waiting years (maybe 10+ years) for 3D then if you will not go with the 3D glasses.
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:16 PM   #128  
Tom Baker (1974-1981)
 
Super XP's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto, ON. Canada
Posts: 5,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC5 View Post
Look like you will be waiting years (maybe 10+ years) for 3D then if you will not go with the 3D glasses.
I'm cool with that, I don't currently desire 3D right now nor does the wife. I am quite happy with plain old High Def
Super XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:02 AM   #129  
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,290
Default

I guess I am more excited about 3D after watching the demos. They look worlds better to me than Avatar looked in 3D at IMAX too!
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:21 AM   #130  
Tom Baker (1974-1981)
 
Super XP's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto, ON. Canada
Posts: 5,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC5 View Post
I guess I am more excited about 3D after watching the demos. They look worlds better to me than Avatar looked in 3D at IMAX too!
Perhaps one day I will get as excited. I really do think we will see glassless 3D in a lot less than 10 years IMO, though I do admit they seem to be taking ages despite the fact this technology has been around for ages. As long as Panasonic pushes the envelope, we will see Samsung fighting back along with Toshiba, Sharp & LG.

My next HDTV in the near future is going to be a battle between Panasonic Plasma's which have proved to be The Best or Toshiba's LED/LCD due to it's price/performance & dazzlingly amazing PQ. But I don't plan on paying extra for the 3D versions just yet.

Last edited by Super XP; 09-11-2010 at 06:26 AM..
Super XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:26 AM   #131  
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super XP View Post
Perhaps one day I will get as excited. I really do think we will see glassless 3D in a lot less than 10 years IMO, though I do admit they seem to be taking ages despite the fact this technology has been around for ages. As long as Panasonic pushes the envelope, we will see Samsung fighting back along with Toshiba, Sharp & LG.
Just look at OLED and how long that is taking. According to many we should be looking at 50" OLED that cost less than 50" plasmas & LCDs by now, yet we are still likely 5+ years away from that possibility to even get these sized displays at TWICE the cost. We have had tiny OLED screens in our cell phones for a few years already yet it seems to be going no where for TV screens.

Tech seems to take much longer than they originally tell us so I will be shocked if they can get glassless 3D at 50" sizes to us before 10+ years.
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:32 AM   #132  
Tom Baker (1974-1981)
 
Super XP's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto, ON. Canada
Posts: 5,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC5 View Post
Just look at OLED and how long that is taking. According to many we should be looking at 50" OLED that cost less than 50" plasmas & LCDs by now, yet we are still likely 5+ years away from that possibility to even get these sized displays at TWICE the cost. We have had tiny OLED screens in our cell phones for a few years already yet it seems to be going no where for TV screens.

Tech seems to take much longer than they originally tell us so I will be shocked if they can get glassless 3D at 50" sizes to us before 10+ years.
Uhh, now I understand what you've been telling me. Wow, they are taking long. If there was a high demand for Blu-Ray 3D & HDTV's in 3D do you think they would be working faster in getting glassless 3D in excess of 50" that look amazing into the market? I think so, perhaps they need to further market 3D a long with Blu-Ray to get more exposure.
Super XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:30 AM   #133  
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,290
Default

It is not just 3D on BD. There is a 3D broadcasting standard now and stations broadcasting in 3D as we speak. ESPN has some 3D sports events, and there is a 3D channel on DTV already. Yes more and more movies are being done in 3D and the biggest selling box office movie (Avatar) is coming out with a 3D version of the movie early next year (with Panasonic getting an exclusive before the end of this year when you buy their 3D equipment.

Do you really think they will just change standards so quickly after all the money these CE companies & broadcasters have put into what we have now also? SO as we all know, these CE companies have intertwining relationships and cross agreements and I seriously doubt they would come up with anything to mess up them getting the money back from all the R&D and advertising they have put into the current shutter glasses standard.

You should check out the threads in the new 3D hardware & 3D content sections to see what is here and coming:

http://www.highdefforum.com/3dtv-har...discussion-76/
http://www.highdefforum.com/3d-movie...nt-reviews-77/

Also check out the upcoming display tech here to see how slow OLED is and also look for articles about SED displays that ended up going nowhere, but should have been here 2+ years ago:

http://www.highdefforum.com/upcoming...chnologies-60/

They always seem to be so far off from the promises of new tech deleivery dates and much of it is possibly because the CE companies must recover the cost of new billion $+ mfg plants based on the old tech.
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:53 AM   #134  
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,290
Default

Just found this for a 31" 3D OLED display shipping supposedly in 3/2011 for the low low price of $9,000.00.

It uses passive 3D glasses like the theaters use instead of the active shutter glasses. But you still need glasses.
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:13 AM   #135  
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 47,456
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super XP View Post
Uhh, now I understand what you've been telling me. Wow, they are taking long. If there was a high demand for Blu-Ray 3D & HDTV's in 3D do you think they would be working faster in getting glassless 3D in excess of 50" that look amazing into the market? I think so, perhaps they need to further market 3D a long with Blu-Ray to get more exposure.
It has nothing to do with the popularity of 3D-TV the home video format and everything to do with the brick walls the designers are against in making the technology work. They just can't seem to get over said walls and solve the issues. Baby steps aren't enough. They need to make a giant leap and they haven't.
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to Are you excited about 3D BD?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Super Resolution Coming To DVD Players (960P) Lee Stewart High Definition Media 3121 01-01-2009 06:03 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:42 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands