High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

HD DVD Players and Discs A place to discuss HD DVD players, movies and anything else relating to the HD DVD format

TrueHD question

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2007, 07:34 PM   #1  
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Heber Springs, Ar.
Posts: 69
Default TrueHD question

I'm not sure if this is where I should be posting this question but here goes anyway. I have an A-2 that will output dolby true hd and what I would like to know is, is true hd audio that big of a deal . Is it much better than other dolby or dts audio options. Why I need to know is, I have a chance to buy a higher end av receiver thats around a year old with lots of bells an whistles but only has hdmi 1.1. Or I can purchase a new receiver that I am looking at (with not as many goodies on it)but does have hdmi 1.3. I do have several hd-dvds that do have true hd but, will I notice the difference since I'm not an audiophile. I would just like a decent unit for my home theater system. Any help would be appreciated.
llroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:18 PM   #2  
SD HURTS MY EYES
 
Stew4HD's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tejas Baby
Posts: 9,989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by llroy View Post
I'm not sure if this is where I should be posting this question but here goes anyway. I have an A-2 that will output dolby true hd and what I would like to know is, is true hd audio that big of a deal . Is it much better than other dolby or dts audio options. Why I need to know is, I have a chance to buy a higher end av receiver thats around a year old with lots of bells an whistles but only has hdmi 1.1. Or I can purchase a new receiver that I am looking at (with not as many goodies on it)but does have hdmi 1.3. I do have several hd-dvds that do have true hd but, will I notice the difference since I'm not an audiophile. I would just like a decent unit for my home theater system. Any help would be appreciated.
Your A2 isn't 1.3 anyway, so get the most bang for your buck with whichever reciever has the nest specs, IMO! Do you have some good speakers?
Stew4HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:30 PM   #3  
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,290
Default

My current HT room receiver is only HDMI 1.1 and I get all the DtHD audio on my HD-A2.

HDMI 1.1 is all you need. HDMI 1.3 is not needed because all HD DVD movies have been encoded in Advanced Mode so the HD DVD player MUST do the decoding.

If you are getting a great deal on that used receiver and you trust the seller I would go for it. What is the brand/model and what is the asking price?
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:57 AM   #4  
pjc
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,139
Default

Also, I thought I read somewhere that HDMI 1.3 only affects picture and not audio. Can anyone confirm this?
pjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:28 AM   #5  
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,290
Default

HDMI has a few new features but mostly are video improvements except for the HD audio bitstreams for the audio side of improved features. AS stated before though it will not work with movies encoded in advanced mode, only basic mode encoded discs.

A couple of the video improvements are:

1. DeepColor support, but there are no displays available now or even announced that can do this yet. Then there is the issue with finding a source that is encoded for DeepColor. There is currently no source either so this is probably a feature that will not do a damn thing until maybe 5-10 years down the road. Neither HD disc format has DeepColor support.

2. Lip-sync correction seems to have some use, but ALL devices in the chain must have HDMI 1.3 to use this. It would be very expensive to replace all equipment in the chain just for this improvement. Currently there are no displays with a HDMI 1.3 input AFAIK, so this isn't available yet either.


I think HDMI 1.3 is great but it is still way to early to be trying to get it unless there is little to no extra cost to get it IMO. It will be years before any real world uses will make it worth paying more for. Chances are most devices will already be replaced when most improvements come online. IMHO
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:01 PM   #6  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 552
Default

I did some basic googling on TrueHD...... Am I correct in observing that there are TrueHD receivers are far and few between and start about $800? In other words, not trickled down into the HTIB/cheap/mainstream segment yet....

I'm not an audiophile. Once I reach a certain level of audio quality, I'd rather spend money on a bigger display then better sound. So I guess my next receiver won't be lossless.
chrpai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:35 PM   #7  
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,290
Default

There is a Onkyo 605 model that is about $400.00 with HDMI 1.3a, and I believe it DOES have DtHD decoders in it.

Things have shifted with the HD formats when compared to SD DVDs. It is now better to decode the HD audio soundtracks in the players and NOT the receivers. As a matter of fact, any HD disc encoded in Advanced Mode CANNOT have the HD audio sent as an un-decoded bitstream anyway. Almost all HD DVDs are encoded this way, and it is expected that once BD players come out that are Profile 1.1 compliant that they will be encoded in Advanced Mode also. This is because the receivers cannot do the audio mixing on the Advanced Mode discs.


Just make sure any BD player you get has the HD audio decoders built into the player, and you are all set. There is no need to worry with the HD DVD players since it is MANDATORY to have them in the players.
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:43 PM   #8  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 552
Default

I havn't looked at receivers in about 6 years..... I remember back then that have the DD 5.1 decoder in the player was kind of silly since TosLink/Coax could send the bitstream to my HTIB and let it do it for me. Was that correct?

Eitherway, I have an A2 and an HR20-100 now. I'm looking to get a new sound system ( the old system is staying with the old TV ). I'm not really a snob but maybe there are better choices then an HTIB.

What would you do within the constraints of a `sweet point` budget?
chrpai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:48 PM   #9  
SD HURTS MY EYES
 
Stew4HD's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tejas Baby
Posts: 9,989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrpai View Post
I havn't looked at receivers in about 6 years..... I remember back then that have the DD 5.1 decoder in the player was kind of silly since TosLink/Coax could send the bitstream to my HTIB and let it do it for me. Was that correct?

Eitherway, I have an A2 and an HR20-100 now. I'm looking to get a new sound system ( the old system is staying with the old TV ). I'm not really a snob but maybe there are better choices then an HTIB.

What would you do within the constraints of a `sweet point` budget?
I'd definately go for a receiver with at least 2 HDMI inputs, along the lines of the Onkyo 605.

Nice price ($450 but out of stock on Crutchfield) for a good AV receiver. I still have my old Onkyo 6.1 receiver.

CC online has it in stock for $20 more than Crutchfield
Stew4HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:51 PM   #10  
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Heber Springs, Ar.
Posts: 69
Default

The onkyo tx-sr605 is one of the receivers I've been considering. The other was a used one (just like new)from a friend. I'ts the yamaha rx-v1600 he wants 450.00 for it. The 605 is selling for 399.99(in black) at JR.com but out of stock . I was told they would be getting in around 100 units of each color in a week or two. I think cc has the silver one for 429 and black for 469. I'm not sure if I should go for the 1600 with lots of features or the 605 with fewer but newer features.
llroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:07 AM   #11  
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by llroy View Post
The onkyo tx-sr605 is one of the receivers I've been considering. The other was a used one (just like new)from a friend. I'ts the yamaha rx-v1600 he wants 450.00 for it. The 605 is selling for 399.99(in black) at JR.com but out of stock . I was told they would be getting in around 100 units of each color in a week or two. I think cc has the silver one for 429 and black for 469. I'm not sure if I should go for the 1600 with lots of features or the 605 with fewer but newer features.
I would definitely get the Yamaha if it was me. I own a Onkyo STEREO receiver which is in my game room with B&W speakers, and it sounds good. However, I do not think the Onkyo HT receivers are as good as the Yamaha or Denon receivers that I also own. My friend just bought the Onkyo 604 receiver to get the HDMI input and the AVR-887 Denon smokes it IMO. My friend thinks so too. He has B&W speakers to use with it and the center channel seems to have an echo effect for some reason that we have not been able to eliminate, no matter what we do. I have read his whole manual, and we even reset the receiver but there is still an echo/reverb that should not be there.

Yamaha and Denon both have pretty neutral tonal qualities so they work with just about any speakers but the Onkyo receivers seem to have a fairly bright tonal quality so you would want warm speakers hooked up to them, like the B&W speakers. The problem is that the B&W speakers are not very cheap in price.

Pioneer & Harmon Kardon make nice receivers also and I think they are above Onkyo also. The lower priced Pioneer receivers with HDMI do not pass the sound through the receiver and only handle video. You need to step up to the Elite series which cost much more $$.

HK receivers are excellent and they are more powerful than their specs indicate. They rate their receiver power much more conservatively than the others mentioned do, because they measure with ALL channels drive simultaneously, where the others do not. The HK receivers are also more expensive to get one with HDMI though.

I hope this helps!
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:01 PM   #12  
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Heber Springs, Ar.
Posts: 69
Default

thanks for the input pfc5. I do believe your right about going with the yamaha. I have read before about the brightness of the onkyo. I really do need a new av receiver the one I have is an older sony that only has dvi. I have my h20 and hd-dvd running thru a hdmi switch box to my tv. I have optical and coax to my receiver. With my old tv (before i went hd)I ran component and optical thru a swtich box. It seems my sound quality and the seperation was better before I went hd. The dvd player I replaced with the a2 was an older denon with optical. I hope I get better sound with the hdmi hookup.
llroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:13 PM   #13  
Don't touch the remote!
 
The_Omega_Man's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Encino,CA
Posts: 3,489
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by llroy View Post
The dvd player I replaced with the a2 was an older denon with optical. I hope I get better sound with the hdmi hookup.
Are you comparing the same SD movies on the Denon DVD and Toshiba HD DVD or SD verses HD movies?
The_Omega_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:25 PM   #14  
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by llroy View Post
thanks for the input pfc5. I do believe your right about going with the yamaha. I have read before about the brightness of the onkyo. I really do need a new av receiver the one I have is an older sony that only has dvi. I have my h20 and hd-dvd running thru a hdmi switch box to my tv. I have optical and coax to my receiver. With my old tv (before i went hd)I ran component and optical thru a swtich box. It seems my sound quality and the seperation was better before I went hd. The dvd player I replaced with the a2 was an older denon with optical. I hope I get better sound with the hdmi hookup.
From what I have heard myself owning both HD formats, many HD soundtracks are recorded at a lower level that keeps the noise floor lower. You will have to turn the volume up a slightly to compare the sound at the same DB level, because that is the only way to do a fair comparison.

Omega made a good point. Are you comparing the same titles on the same format? And as stated above you need to compare them at the SAME VOLUME levels to do a fair comparison. DO you have a SPL meter? This could be used to adjust the input levels for each to be at matching volume (DB) levels.
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:44 PM   #15  
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Heber Springs, Ar.
Posts: 69
Default

It did'nt seem to make much difference . Even with the a2 I can't hear much of a difference in the sound quality with hd over sd in 5.1.While watching some hd movies and hd programing via dtv its hard to understand the dialog. When people are speaking it seems to be coming from the front speakers as loud(if not louder) as it is from the center channel speaker. This gives an echo effect that I can't handle so I switch off the 5.1. This also happens sometimes with sd and hd dvd movies played thru the a2. I don't recall this happening with the setup I had before. Am I losing any audio by not outputing thru hdmi?

Last edited by llroy; 08-18-2007 at 06:56 PM..
llroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to TrueHD question
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PS3 Audio Settings Question: Uncompressed PCM 5.1 or Dolby 5.1? RockyMntOyster Blu-Ray and Ultra HD Blu-Ray Players 11 02-07-2009 11:13 AM
TrueHD 5.1 has arrived Jimmy Smith High Definition Media 155 12-29-2008 11:22 AM
Toshiba A35 and Onkyo 605 TrueHD - Help etbeaty HD DVD Players and Discs 75 07-26-2008 10:20 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:17 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands