High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

HD DVD Players and Discs A place to discuss HD DVD players, movies and anything else relating to the HD DVD format

What's the best bang for buck HD DVD player out there?

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2007, 08:52 AM   #1  
Mine's Gigantanormas
Thread Starter
 
Captain Crunch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 69
Default What's the best bang for buck HD DVD player out there?

I would love to fork up for the XA2 but just cant see it right now. Would you suggest the A1 A2??? I have a Sony up converter that I think works pretty good. But admittedly I don't have any friends with a big screen and a upscaler to compare it to or even anyone with HD player.
What would you say the best bang for buck out there is right now??
Captain Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:58 AM   #2  
Go Bruins!
 
hdtv4me2's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,284
Default

If you're looking to just up convert SD DVD then just stay where you are. If you're looking to get into HD DVDs then the A2 would be the best bang for the buck right now.
hdtv4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:22 AM   #3  
"Shitter was Full"
 
Bigloww's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: In a van, down by the river.
Posts: 8,321
Default

Unless you have a 360, I would also agree that the A2 is the best way to go. They can be had for as little as $400 (some with a free HD DVD). The XA1 would be a great choice if your receiver has 5.1 Multi-Channel Analog Audio. If not the A2 is the way to go. HP and Toshiba sell a HD DVD addon for your computer. But at $379 (after rebate) for the external HP, you better off with the A2 IMO. Wait a year or so and the HD DVD burners will be less than that most likely.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...362?v_c=Nextag

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...C-pr1c3grabb3r
Bigloww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:49 AM   #4  
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 47,284
Default

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CAPTAIN!

If I read your equipment list correctly you have a 65" RPTV. You are mentioning that your PC is running 1080P

Captain . . .are you entertaining a self bought birthday present?

If your 65" can do 1080P native (not by some electronic trickery) then you really may want to consider the XA2 over the A2. At that screen size you will see an improvement. And all owners are raving about the upconvert ability of this unit.

Yes I know, it's 2x the price of an A2 but:

1. It's only $400 difference over A2 (amazon.com)
2. It provides native 1080P the A2 - only 1080i or 720P
3. Buy either BEFORE 2/28/07 and get 3 free HD DVD's from Toshiba
4. How many HD DVD players are you going to buy?

And the most important reason: "IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY!":

Last edited by Lee Stewart; 02-26-2007 at 09:51 AM..
Lee Stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:57 AM   #5  
UNOTIS
 
unotis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: FLORIDA
Age: 64
Posts: 4,139
Default

Yes, I agree if I were you I would spend the extra cash and get the XA2 or if you don't want to spend it get the XA1 instead (less then $400 at certain vendors).

The XA2 is universally considered the best upconverting DVD player available today and the XA1 (which I have is a very close second) it won the "Product of the Year" award for best consumer electronics product for 2006 from the largest electronics magazine in the world.
unotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:01 AM   #6  
Go Bruins!
 
hdtv4me2's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,284
Default

Make sure you can see the difference between 1080i and 1080p, I can't. That's why I won't spend the extra money for a 1080p HDTV.
hdtv4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:18 AM   #7  
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 47,284
Default

HDTV4ME:

You have a 50" and the Captain has a 65". The difference will be more evident as you pass 50" and get to a 60" or higher.
Lee Stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:29 AM   #8  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: MA.
Posts: 2,846
Default

I know it is hard to wait but I would put aside the money you were going to spend on the A2 and when you get the rest buy the XA2. You will be glad you did.
tcarcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:30 AM   #9  
Go Bruins!
 
hdtv4me2's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,284
Default

Yes, that is true. I saw a 1080i and a 1080p signal on a 65" Mits DLP and couldn't see the difference. I guess some can and some can't.
hdtv4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:46 PM   #10  
Mine's Gigantanormas
Thread Starter
 
Captain Crunch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 69
Default

Fist let me say Thank you all for your responses......It's nice to have people willing to share there knowledge when your new and don't really know squat.

Second At twice the price I think at this point Id probably go for the A2 or the XA1 before the XA2 simply because of money. Plus Id be really pissed if I spent 8 or 900 dollars and the XA2 and BD won the format battle. It would be hard for me to spend twice as much unless I'm going to see a big difference on my screen. Maybe not quite 400 dollars difference but a pretty big difference non the less.

3rd I went to all 3 of my local electronic shops and they all had HD DVD players hook up, but all of them were hooked up to 42" to 46" plasmas. GRRRRRRRRRRR I wanted to see something on an 65" or at least the 61 sammy or something So I could really tell the differences.
I do the Sony so I think I have the up-converter taken care of all though I'm sure the A1, A2 and XA2 would do a better job.
My problem is I'm some what limited on cash and don't have any HD signal coming in (cable or sat) or an HD DVD player and Iv been aching to get some HD on my 65" of restate I paid so much for. I'm also considering getting some HD package with my cable company it's only 11 bucks a month but you only get 5 channels. I got to do something though. I love my TV and think it's looks good but know it has soooooooooo much more potential. I feel like a crack addict that needs to get his fix or something. LOL
Thanks again for all the comments guys....I'm loving all the great input.

Last edited by Captain Crunch; 02-26-2007 at 02:58 PM..
Captain Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:02 PM   #11  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
daleb's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 7,654
Default

I think the danger of spending too much money early on is a bigger risk than a format dropping out. I think the companies heavily invested in the software are too entrenched to let that happen. But, I've been wrong before.. let's see, was it 1955 or 1956? LOL
daleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:18 PM   #12  
UNOTIS
 
unotis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: FLORIDA
Age: 64
Posts: 4,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch
Fist let me say Thank you all for your responses......It's nice to have people willing to share there knowledge when your new and don't really know squat.

Second At twice the price I think at this point Id probably go for the A2 or the XA1 before the XA2 simply because of money. Plus Id be really pissed if I spent 8 or 900 dollars and the XA2 and BD won the format battle. It would be hard for me to spend twice as much unless I'm going to see a big difference on my screen. Maybe not quite 400 dollars difference but a pretty big difference non the less.

3rd I went to all 3 of my local electronic shops and they all had HD DVD players hook up, but all of them were hooked up to 42" to 46" plasmas. GRRRRRRRRRRR I wanted to see something on an 65" or at least the 61 sammy or something So I could really tell the differences.
I do the Sony so I think I have the up-converter taken care of all though I'm sure the A1, A2 and XA2 would do a better job.
My problem is I'm some what limited on cash and don't have any HD signal coming in (cable or sat) or an HD DVD player and Iv been aching to get some HD on my 65" of restate I paid so much for. I'm also considering getting some HD package with my cable company it's only 11 bucks a month but you only get 5 channels. I got to do something though. I love my TV and think it's looks good but know it has soooooooooo much more potential. I feel like a crack addict that needs to get his fix or something. LOL
Thanks again for all the comments guys....I'm loving all the great input.
How about if you could get the RCA (Toshiba built and rebadged A1) HD DVD player for $275 delivered, would that fit the bill?

If that will, look at www.hometheaterforum.com under HD hardware for trade/sale and someone has a like new one for sale there.
unotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:10 PM   #13  
Mine's Gigantanormas
Thread Starter
 
Captain Crunch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 69
Default

Quote:
How about if you could get the RCA (Toshiba built and rebadged A1) HD DVD player for $275 delivered, would that fit the bill?

If that will, look at www.hometheaterforum.com under HD hardware for trade/sale and someone has a like new one for sale there.
Sold a few days ago...........Thanks for the suggestion though!
Captain Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:29 PM   #14  
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 47,284
Default

somebody suggested waiting.

Might be the thing to do.

Happy Birthday again Captain
Lee Stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:45 PM   #15  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 7,120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch
I would love to fork up for the XA2 but just cant see it right now. Would you suggest the A1 A2??? I have a Sony up converter that I think works pretty good. But admittedly I don't have any friends with a big screen and a upscaler to compare it to or even anyone with HD player.
What would you say the best bang for buck out there is right now??

Robert from valueelectronics appears to still have brand new HD-XA1's still in stock for $399. This is a player that retailed for $800 and also has the analogue audio outputs if you don't have a fully HDMI capable reciever.

http://www.valueelectronics.com/Toshiba_HD-XA1.htm

Whoa, stop the presses!

http://www.valueelectronics.com/Tosh...A20_HD_DVD.htm
If i'm seeing this right, Robert is selling the new HD-A20 for $499! The player is due out shortly and supports full 1080p! It does not have the analogue outputs from what I understand. If you have a fully capable HDMI reciever, that won't be an issue anyway!
junehhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to What's the best bang for buck HD DVD player out there?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for a HD TV Lt.JD Flat-Panel TVs 17 02-01-2009 11:11 AM
HD DVD Supporters... What's the battle plan / how does HD DVD win? LordGamer High Definition Media 98 06-16-2008 06:41 PM
Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha who gives the most bang for the buck? SundanceTV High Definition Receivers, Recorders, Players, Tivos 50 03-31-2008 01:20 PM
Who Is Keeping/Selling Their HD-DVD Player Now? Cintoman High Definition Media 91 01-18-2008 07:53 PM
Please Help THe New Guy Out..DVD Player Advice Big Pauly SD DVD Players and Discs 34 07-26-2007 08:02 PM
Will an HD-DVD player do me any good? Eric_73 HD DVD Players and Discs 69 12-13-2006 10:56 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:03 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands