High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Gaming & Systems A place to discuss video game systems

Suggestions for new Monitor

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2019, 01:24 PM   #1  
The 65" A8F & Neil Rock!
Thread Starter
 
Razor05's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,795
Question Suggestions for new Monitor

My Dell U3011 bit the dust so I was wondering what you guys use? This would be mostly used for photos, office & gaming. A higher res screen is a must, probably 4k. Thanks!
Razor05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:54 AM   #2  
Grammar Police
 
John Rambo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Packerland
Posts: 13,166
Default

I'd go ultrawide over 4k but that's just me. I run a 35" 2560x1080 144hz and the lower resolution means I can push 100+ frames in most games
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:34 AM   #3  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Terryl3's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Deep in the Duraflame National Forest
Posts: 1,532
Default

Take a look at this hummer.....

https://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-XG2...gateway&sr=8-6
Terryl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:00 AM   #4  
I bleed for HD
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 14,198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor05 View Post
My Dell U3011 bit the dust so I was wondering what you guys use? This would be mostly used for photos, office & gaming. A higher res screen is a must, probably 4k. Thanks!
A few questions -
1) Budget?
2) You mentioned Photos - what resolution photos are you taking and are you taking .jpg or raw and editing them or just want to view? Also do you take HDR/Bracketed exposures to increase dynamic range?
3) any video editing or just photos
4) what size/how far away will you be?

If you go 4k I highly recommend you get an HDR capable screen for increased contrast and dynamic range games are neeginning to take advantage and also quite a bit of streaming available.

now to hijack your thread for a moment:
Just got 2 new set-ups (new gaming /HTPC and also laptop for photo editing) to begin culling through the pics I took form my Greece trip - thought I'd share a couple




Changing of the guard by jkkyler, on Flickr
jkkyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:10 AM   #5  
Grammar Police
 
John Rambo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Packerland
Posts: 13,166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryl3 View Post
60Hz for $500+?

Need 120hz at a minimum
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:26 AM   #6  
I bleed for HD
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 14,198
Default

Recommendations may change based upon above answers but in a vacuum here are a couple recommendations
4k
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...419&CatId=2318

1440p @ 144hz
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...?skuId=6321304
jkkyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 01:19 PM   #7  
Grammar Police
 
John Rambo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Packerland
Posts: 13,166
Default

Takes too much GPU power to run high framerates at 4k or even 1440p. I'll take 120FPS on a 120hz monitor at 1080p over 60FPS at 4k.
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:05 PM   #8  
I bleed for HD
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 14,198
Default

Curious JR, do you think that has to do with the style of games you play - competitive twitch shooters?
Personally I notice a big difference from 30fps to 60 fps but above 60fps I don't seem to notice. TYpically I can run just about anything maxed out at 1440p and get 60 fps ()sometimes need to turn off or down FXAA/MSAA but at that resolution I don't really notice jaggies anyhow.
I tend to game nearly exclusively at 1440p these days with some games such as Sekiro: Shadows die twice at 1080 because there is a glitch that locks FPS at 30 if you go above 1080.
Recently I have been replaying Borderlands 2 because it has been several years and they are getting ready to release Borderlands 3. Amazingly enough with a 1070 I can run that at 4k and get 90-100 fps pretty consistently. That style of graphics isn't photo realistic and is easy to crank fps on.
I edit photos at 4k which is closer to the resolution I shoot at 6000x4000 and tend to edit video using proxy files that are a lower rez bookmark and then render final product back out at 4k.

Last edited by jkkyler; 07-06-2019 at 02:12 PM..
jkkyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:32 PM   #9  
The 65" A8F & Neil Rock!
Thread Starter
 
Razor05's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
I'd go ultrawide over 4k but that's just me. I run a 35" 2560x1080 144hz and the lower resolution means I can push 100+ frames in most games
The only reason I'm looking at 4k is because of the photo editing but 2560x1080 might suffice. Agreed, with that res and 144hz+ you can run high fps. That's why these guys run TN panels with 1ms response time.
Razor05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:40 PM   #10  
The 65" A8F & Neil Rock!
Thread Starter
 
Razor05's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryl3 View Post
Or how about this, the best 65" 4k monitor you can get right now...

OMEN X Emperium 65
Razor05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:59 PM   #11  
The 65" A8F & Neil Rock!
Thread Starter
 
Razor05's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkkyler View Post
A few questions -
1) Budget?
2) You mentioned Photos - what resolution photos are you taking and are you taking .jpg or raw and editing them or just want to view? Also do you take HDR/Bracketed exposures to increase dynamic range?
3) any video editing or just photos
4) what size/how far away will you be?

If you go 4k I highly recommend you get an HDR capable screen for increased contrast and dynamic range games are neeginning to take advantage and also quite a bit of streaming available.

now to hijack your thread for a moment:
Just got 2 new set-ups (new gaming /HTPC and also laptop for photo editing) to begin culling through the pics I took form my Greece trip - thought I'd share a couple




Changing of the guard by jkkyler, on Flickr
Nice pics jk. Honestly right now I don't want to spend too much because we just redid the flooring and landscaping, plus my plasma bit the dust again and so did my computer monitor, lol. I bought an OLED and that's a whole different story what happened at BestBuy! I shoot in raw then view and edit them. I'm probably sitting 2, 2 and a half feet away. There's a Asus MG28UQ that's almost new here in town so I'm going to take a look at that.
Razor05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:05 PM   #12  
The 65" A8F & Neil Rock!
Thread Starter
 
Razor05's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkkyler View Post
Recommendations may change based upon above answers but in a vacuum here are a couple recommendations
4k
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...419&CatId=2318

1440p @ 144hz
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...?skuId=6321304
2 of the same ones on my short list
Razor05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:09 PM   #13  
The 65" A8F & Neil Rock!
Thread Starter
 
Razor05's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,795
Default

$539 for this one: ASUS MG278Q 27" WQHD 1440P 144Hz 1ms Eye Care G-Sync Compatible
Razor05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:43 PM   #14  
Grammar Police
 
John Rambo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Packerland
Posts: 13,166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkkyler View Post
Curious JR, do you think that has to do with the style of games you play - competitive twitch shooters?
Personally I notice a big difference from 30fps to 60 fps but above 60fps I don't seem to notice. TYpically I can run just about anything maxed out at 1440p and get 60 fps ()sometimes need to turn off or down FXAA/MSAA but at that resolution I don't really notice jaggies anyhow.
I tend to game nearly exclusively at 1440p these days with some games such as Sekiro: Shadows die twice at 1080 because there is a glitch that locks FPS at 30 if you go above 1080.
Recently I have been replaying Borderlands 2 because it has been several years and they are getting ready to release Borderlands 3. Amazingly enough with a 1070 I can run that at 4k and get 90-100 fps pretty consistently. That style of graphics isn't photo realistic and is easy to crank fps on.
I edit photos at 4k which is closer to the resolution I shoot at 6000x4000 and tend to edit video using proxy files that are a lower rez bookmark and then render final product back out at 4k.
What's your monitor's refresh rate? I think 120FPS on a 60hz monitor is likely less noticable than 120FPS on a 120hz monitor, because you're actually seeing all 120 frames.

What I can say is this; I'd had my PC set to 60hz for years, and then I got this 144hz monitor and naturally set the refresh rate to 144hz. But a couple times when I was making changes, it reverted back to 60hz refresh rate and the monitor felt broken. As far as games go, I definitely don't like 60FPS anymore; I'd rather take 90+ and lower the graphical detail. And yeah I mostly play FPS type games

It all depends on what your GPU can push. I have a 7600k (I think) and a 1070ti so I don't think I'd get very far at 1440p or 4k, but I can run most games at 2560x1080 and get close to 100FPS. In Destiny 2 I get over 120FPS with everything jacked up and it's so crispy
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:04 PM   #15  
The 65" A8F & Neil Rock!
Thread Starter
 
Razor05's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,795
Default

$639 for this one: Asus 27" 144Hz WQHD FreeSync Gaming Monitor [MG279Q] IPS, 4ms
Razor05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:42 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands