High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Gaming & Systems A place to discuss video game systems

The Final Fantasy XIII thread

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2010, 04:35 PM   #1  
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 7,120
Default The Final Fantasy XIII thread

I figure I will start up a FFXIII thread since i'm shocked that noone has started one up yet considering how much many of you guys are looking foward to this game.

I am debating whether I will pick this game up next week. I have been rather disappointed by the FF series since FFVII, and FFVIII was the last one I ever actually fully played and beat. I have not tried FFXI or FFXII at all though.

I have seen many of the game videos, but my biggest concern over the combat system is whether this is going to be turning into one of those button masher type of games. I want to buy it, but am not sure as I just havn't been happy with the series as of late. Hopefully you guys will have working PS3's by then.

Here is an article I just read where they are making forcasts of which system will sell the most copies. I predict that both will be fairly equal with the PS3 possibly having slightly more sales.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/22195/...ble-PS3-Sales/
junehhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:43 PM   #2  
Connoisseur of Fine Games
 
MikeRox's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Posts: 15,756
Default

I'd have thought the PS3 will shift more copies of FFXIII than the 360 overall (even without Japan). Can see the 360 ver beating the PS3 ver in the US and UK, but in Europe I'd expect it to be the other way quite significantly.

Will be interesting to see what happens. I guess it really also depends just how big the discrepancies are between the PS3 and 360 version. The resolution is lower on the 360, but that alone won't be a big issue, it depends how big the other compromises are.

There was some serious slagging off the visuals of the 360 version in comparison, but I think a good chunk of that was PS3 fanboys crowing because they're pissy their beloved "exclusive" has jumped ship from them in nearly as big a way as they did Nintendo
MikeRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:25 PM   #3  
I'm Fabulous.
 
awol's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by junehhan View Post

Here is an article I just read where they are making forcasts of which system will sell the most copies. I predict that both will be fairly equal with the PS3 possibly having slightly more sales.
Are you assuming for US only?

It's not being released on 360 in Japan. So there's a cool couple million off the bat for the PS3. Here in the states, I think it will still sell marginally better on PS3. In Europe, as Mike said, it should trounce the 360 version. And like in the US, I think the UK should come out marginally ahead for the PS3.
awol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:34 PM   #4  
Connoisseur of Fine Games
 
MikeRox's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Posts: 15,756
Default

The entire reasoning for the article about 2:1 sales is based on people hunting for more discount coupons on a UK coupon website. All it shows so far is that Xbox gamers are bigger cheapskates than PS3 gamers that must be good for Sony what with their choice of a 109.99 ($165) RRP for GoW3 CE.

Will be interesting to see how what for the past 13 years has been a Sony exclusive franchise will fare. I wouldn't be surprised if MS get more marketshare than anticipated, I would however be very surprised if the 360 version sold better than the PS3 version overall.
MikeRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:19 PM   #5  
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 7,120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol View Post
Are you assuming for US only?

It's not being released on 360 in Japan. So there's a cool couple million off the bat for the PS3. Here in the states, I think it will still sell marginally better on PS3. In Europe, as Mike said, it should trounce the 360 version. And like in the US, I think the UK should come out marginally ahead for the PS3.
No, I am not counting Japan in my totals. The market in Japan is so lopsided anyway towards a single console. It will be interesting and we won't really know until we get some estimates after the first week of sales.
junehhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:23 PM   #6  
FIFA 10 > PES 2010
 
KEEBS1984's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: PORTLAND!!!... OR
Posts: 2,658
Default

I believe it'll sell more on the PS3 than the XBox in every region. In the US it might... might... be near equal. But I doubt it.

We'll see though... only a few more days now.

Personally, I'm waiting for some reviews to see which version I'm getting. I have a feeling the PS3 version will be the "true" version, but anything can happen.
KEEBS1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:25 PM   #7  
Two Words, No Refunds.
 
marcallo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 7,542
Default

PS3 for sure. Not sure if I'll pick it up or just try and grab it as a rental, I didn't enjoy X-2 or XII that much to be honest.
marcallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:27 PM   #8  
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 7,120
Default

Do we know what the differences are(if any) between the 2 versions? Do we know for sure that the X360 version is being upscaled from 576p to 720p? So long as the textures are just as detailed, that doesn't mean that the X360 version is going to look noticeably different considering that some of the best looking games on both the X360 and PS3 were not rendered at true HD resolutions.

What about audio? What about in game features like missions and playability stuff?
junehhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:36 PM   #9  
FIFA 10 > PES 2010
 
KEEBS1984's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: PORTLAND!!!... OR
Posts: 2,658
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by junehhan View Post
Do we know what the differences are(if any) between the 2 versions? Do we know for sure that the X360 version is being upscaled from 576p to 720p? So long as the textures are just as detailed, that doesn't mean that the X360 version is going to look noticeably different considering that some of the best looking games on both the X360 and PS3 were not rendered at true HD resolutions.

What about audio? What about in game features like missions and playability stuff?
I have no idea. Thats why I'm waiting for reviews. Even if it means picking up the game a few days after release. I'm gonna make sure I have the optimal playing experience for this game.
KEEBS1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:58 PM   #10  
I'm Fabulous.
 
awol's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEBS1984 View Post
Personally, I'm waiting for some reviews to see which version I'm getting. I have a feeling the PS3 version will be the "true" version, but anything can happen.
As much as I want the achievements on the 360 version.... It just feels.... wrong to play Final Fantasy on the 360. Much like it felt wrong to play VII on the original PSX.
awol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:59 PM   #11  
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 7,120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEBS1984 View Post
I have no idea. Thats why I'm waiting for reviews. Even if it means picking up the game a few days after release. I'm gonna make sure I have the optimal playing experience for this game.
Heh, I won't have a choice which console I buy it for as I only have an X360. My question will be whether I decide to buy this game or not, and will definately be waiting for a bunch of reviews. I thought about getting a PS3, but decided that an Oppo BDP83 will likely be a better use of my money since there hasn't been a single game on the PS3 that I wanted that wasn't also available for the Xbox.

I've heard all sorts of rumors about how the PS3 version is going to be awesome, but none of those making those arguments were able to back it up with facts.
junehhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:04 PM   #12  
FIFA 10 > PES 2010
 
KEEBS1984's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: PORTLAND!!!... OR
Posts: 2,658
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol View Post
As much as I want the achievements on the 360 version.... It just feels.... wrong to play Final Fantasy on the 360. Much like it felt wrong to play VII on the original PSX.
I'm not really worried about this. I went through this feeling when going from FFIII (VI) to FFVII. Turns out it really wasn't that big of a deal back then and I'm sure it won't be that big of a deal this time.

I'm also not really an achievements person. Plus with my brand new Rocketfish controller (the one that looks like a 360 pad) I won't have that getting in my way either. For this game I can truly go with whichever one is better.
KEEBS1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:06 AM   #13  
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 7,120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEBS1984 View Post
I'm not really worried about this. I went through this feeling when going from FFIII (VI) to FFVII. Turns out it really wasn't that big of a deal back then and I'm sure it won't be that big of a deal this time.

I'm also not really an achievements person. Plus with my brand new Rocketfish controller (the one that looks like a 360 pad) I won't have that getting in my way either. For this game I can truly go with whichever one is better.
The problem is that those achievements are really addictive. For many, it makes the game that much more exciting and adds that much more value to it. I am not much of an achievements person(since launch day, my gamerscore is only 27000), but it is like a bonus on top of the experience the game gives you.
junehhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:39 AM   #14  
Connoisseur of Fine Games
 
MikeRox's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Posts: 15,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol View Post
As much as I want the achievements on the 360 version.... It just feels.... wrong to play Final Fantasy on the 360. Much like it felt wrong to play VII on the original PSX.
See, in Europe, Final Fantasy has only ever been a Sony franchise on home consoles. Square never bothered releasing 1-6 in Europe until around 2001/2002 on PS1.

So I think more so than anywhere else, Final Fantasy will feel most like a Sony franchise in Europe, it was actually Sony who published them over here, otherwise we may never have seen Final Fantasy on these shores.
MikeRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:14 AM   #15  
The 65" A8F & Neil Rock!
 
Razor05's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,801
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by junehhan View Post
The problem is that those achievements are really addictive. For many, it makes the game that much more exciting and adds that much more value to it. I am not much of an achievements person(since launch day, my gamerscore is only 27000) , but it is like a bonus on top of the experience the game gives you.
I'm the one who's not much of an achievement person with only 11,000, lol.
Razor05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to The Final Fantasy XIII thread
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FFXIII coming to PS3 first, Xbox much later jusHD Gaming & Systems 28 07-29-2008 01:14 AM
PS3 officially lost the console war : Final Fantasy XIII now on Xbox 360 DeadmeatHD Gaming & Systems 125 07-24-2008 03:43 AM
Fianl Fantasy XIII II SAL II Gaming & Systems 59 07-19-2008 01:47 PM
The Official E3 (Thread) II SAL II Gaming & Systems 50 07-15-2008 08:24 AM
Final Fantasy XIII Delayed until Spring 2010 at least Cygnus Gaming & Systems 23 02-23-2008 08:23 AM
Sony releases PS3 exclusives list (150 of em) Type A Gaming & Systems 10 01-15-2008 11:52 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:30 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands