High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Flat-Panel TVs Plasma, LCD

Too good to be true?

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2009, 10:07 PM   #1  
How can anyone watch standard def?
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 15
Default Too good to be true?

Just want to firstly say sorry for being a noob on this forum and asking a question that requires some knowledge and maybe investigation. I'm sure you guys get an obnoxious amount of people who come in here to ask one dumb question and leave.

But i've been looking for a 40ish inch TV for my room and eventual apartment and I came across this deal and it sounds too good to be true...and from past experience, that's almost always the case.

Here's the link: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...03769#Overview

Something has to be wrong with that...right?

Thanks =)
weezerbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:12 AM   #2  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 234
Default

First of all, it's not that good a deal. Secondly, Phillips does not have a good reliability record, and Dell has a reputation of being slow to respond to problems.

Wal-Mart, for instance has a 42" Vizio with similar specs for a few bucks less, and if there is an initial problem with it, you can simply return it to the store. I'm sure you can find similar deals at Sam's, Costco, and other big box stores.
flyfish99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:37 AM   #3  
How can anyone watch standard def?
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 15
Default

Okay, thanks, I'll have to go to some stores today and check them out.

As for plasmas, are there similarily priced 1080p plasmas. I can go up to about 800 dollars in my price range, but would prefer a 40-42 inch size.
weezerbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:24 AM   #4  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lazzzzy TVs' Van
Posts: 657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerbr View Post
Okay, thanks, I'll have to go to some stores today and check them out.

As for plasmas, are there similarily priced 1080p plasmas. I can go up to about 800 dollars in my price range, but would prefer a 40-42 inch size.
First off, the deal on dell isn't too good to be true. The deal on Dell reflects the fact that Philips is getting out of the HDTV game. It's a good price on a 120hz model.

http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.asp...ku=TOS40RV525U

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...47&dcaid=17902

$650~$850 reflects last years model without 120hz. Very nice display, just not 120hz.

I'm sure there might be a couple of plasmas in this size class, 1080P, but for general viewing 720P is okay, but given you're shopping on dell you might be interested in something that doubles as a PC montior, when LCD should be considered.
IGExpandingPan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:20 PM   #5  
How can anyone watch standard def?
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 15
Default

Actually, I was just looking at the dell site because I had found a link to it while looking for "bargains"

I'm mainly gunna be watching movies and playing 360/ps3 at night, so I think a plasma will fit my needs more. But as for the 720p and 1080p, will I really be able to tell a difference from 6-10 feet away? Or even further back.

Thanks for the help, by the way.
weezerbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:24 PM   #6  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lazzzzy TVs' Van
Posts: 657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerbr View Post
Actually, I was just looking at the dell site because I had found a link to it while looking for "bargains"

I'm mainly gunna be watching movies and playing 360/ps3 at night, so I think a plasma will fit my needs more. But as for the 720p and 1080p, will I really be able to tell a difference from 6-10 feet away? Or even further back.

Thanks for the help, by the way.
Before I continue, it looks like the Phillips you cited supports 1080P over VGA, a feature uncommon on HDTVs. If you want 1080P VGA, look no further. $700 on amazon. Add Macks extended warranty and bet it will fail.





10 feet? 720P is likely OK for plasma. 7.5 looks like it's on the edge. LCD is slightly different.

You can get a 1080P Panasonic TC-P42U1 for ~$850ish from
US Appliance & 6th Ave Electronics. The 42PZ80U for slightly less from B&H Photo-Video-Audio. This is just to give you some indication of the cost of 1080P before you consider your budget.

I only have direct experience with B&H photo, but the other two tend to be listed as authorized dealers for other companies.
IGExpandingPan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:01 AM   #7  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGExpandingPan View Post
Before I continue, it looks like the Phillips you cited supports 1080P over VGA, a feature uncommon on HDTVs. If you want 1080P VGA, look no further. $700 on amazon. Add Macks extended warranty and bet it will fail.





10 feet? 720P is likely OK for plasma. 7.5 looks like it's on the edge. LCD is slightly different.

You can get a 1080P Panasonic TC-P42U1 for ~$850ish from
US Appliance & 6th Ave Electronics. The 42PZ80U for slightly less from B&H Photo-Video-Audio. This is just to give you some indication of the cost of 1080P before you consider your budget.

I only have direct experience with B&H photo, but the other two tend to be listed as authorized dealers for other companies.
what a reply...kudos!
greenmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to Too good to be true?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Too Good To Be True! thomash85715 DirecTV Forum 55 05-20-2014 01:30 PM
Antenna on ebay is it to good to be true ???? dpbh Local HDTV Info and Reception 11 02-05-2009 03:19 PM
Too good to be true? gulliver Flat-Panel TVs 6 08-08-2007 11:18 PM
Is this too good to be true? tanaka Flat-Panel TVs 8 01-15-2006 11:14 PM
Is this antenna too good to be true? Stevobadevo DISH Network Forum 11 01-22-2005 04:02 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:01 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands