High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Flat-Panel TVs Plasma, LCD

PC to LCD connection choices

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2009, 07:58 AM   #1  
What is HD?
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4
Default PC to LCD connection choices

Hi All,

I'm in the process of redoing my attic and I plan on having my PC up there as well as a new LCD TV. I'm thinking about a 40inch LCD.

I've currently run two cat6 cables and rca audio cables from the area where my PC will be to the area where the TV will be. About a 35ft run, walls are bare right now but we are getting drywall soon. I was going to use a cat6 to dvi convert to connect my pc to my tv. What I'm finding is that not many LCD TVs come with DVI connections I can't really find any, the ones that have PC connections use VGA. I have an older magnavox LCD and the VGA connection looked like crap when I had tested it out.

Anyway, my question is what type of connection should I be using? I can continue down this path and get the DVI converter and just go DVI\VGA into whatever TV I get. My other thought was to use HDMI but that would require a video card upgrade and it would cost more for any type of converter.

Anyone have any experience with good VGA connections? I would prefer to get the best quality I can from my PC for gaming from time to time. I also have already invested some time and money into running cat6.

Thanks in advance,

uh
untruehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:23 PM   #2  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lazzzzy TVs' Van
Posts: 657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by untruehero View Post
Hi All,

I'm in the process of redoing my attic and I plan on having my PC up there as well as a new LCD TV. I'm thinking about a 40inch LCD.

I've currently run two cat6 cables and rca audio cables from the area where my PC will be to the area where the TV will be. About a 35ft run, walls are bare right now but we are getting drywall soon. I was going to use a cat6 to dvi convert to connect my pc to my tv.

...

Anyone have any experience with good VGA connections? I would prefer to get the best quality I can from my PC for gaming from time to time. I also have already invested some time and money into running cat6.
VGA tends to be unsupported to a large degree. For example my Toshiba 52rv535U claims to only go up to 1280x1024 over VGA. DVI is your better bet. It's supported for the resolutions the TV displays best.

HDMI is supported, and you can get a DVI-D -> HDMI adapter. They are $5ish, perhaps as much as $20 if you buy one from a local shop. I can only attest to a 25ft + 6ft HDMI run personally. Monoprice does carry CL2 35ft HDMI cables. They start at $20ish though $30ish gets you a flat cable with a smaller head, which calls for a smaller hole.

But if you feel it's worth it, go DVI-D->cat-6 -> HDMI. DVI-D is pin per pin compatible with HDMI, just no audio typically.

I personally went with a motherboard with the 790gx chipset. I spent about $265ish for something with VERY good HDTV support. It might not be the best gamer solution, but it'll do DX10 and a fine casual gamer solution. And it'll take a SLI set of cards if needed.

Your cat6 is likely not wasted as one could always be used for Blu-Ray content.

Not knowing what video card you have, you "could" opt to go DVI->HDMI adapter (cheap) from your PC using a $20~$30 35ft CL2 HDMI cable. If this doesn't pan out, upgrade vid cards (Radeon HD 3200 for example) or go with a 790gx solution.
IGExpandingPan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:00 AM   #3  
What is HD?
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GExpandingPan View Post
VGA tends to be unsupported to a large degree. For example my Toshiba 52rv535U claims to only go up to 1280x1024 over VGA. DVI is your better bet. It's supported for the resolutions the TV displays best.

HDMI is supported, and you can get a DVI-D -> HDMI adapter. They are $5ish, perhaps as much as $20 if you buy one from a local shop. I can only attest to a 25ft + 6ft HDMI run personally. Monoprice does carry CL2 35ft HDMI cables. They start at $20ish though $30ish gets you a flat cable with a smaller head, which calls for a smaller hole.

But if you feel it's worth it, go DVI-D->cat-6 -> HDMI. DVI-D is pin per pin compatible with HDMI, just no audio typically.

I personally went with a motherboard with the 790gx chipset. I spent about $265ish for something with VERY good HDTV support. It might not be the best gamer solution, but it'll do DX10 and a fine casual gamer solution. And it'll take a SLI set of cards if needed.

Your cat6 is likely not wasted as one could always be used for Blu-Ray content.

Not knowing what video card you have, you "could" opt to go DVI->HDMI adapter (cheap) from your PC using a $20~$30 35ft CL2 HDMI cable. If this doesn't pan out, upgrade vid cards (Radeon HD 3200 for example) or go with a 790gx solution.
Thanks for the response GExpandingPan.

I guess since I already have the cat6 run I will do DVI to cat6 to DVI\HDMI. Hopefully their aren't any issues with the signal between all that conversion but it should be find since it's all digital. I'm running at geforce 8800 gtx 768mbps with two DVI connections. So I would have to spend some money on a card with HDMI.

I made a RCA run so I will just connect my pc audio out to that. Maybe I should test run this whole setup before the drywall gets installed.

The other option I just thought of was to get cat6 to hdmi extenders but I have heard mixed reviews on them.

Thanks for the info!
untruehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:20 AM   #4  
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,290
Default

Cat6 is the coax 75ohm cable right? I believe that would be analog which means it might not work doing a DVI>HDMI conversion if so. Since your video card has DVI, I would find out if it is DVI-D which IS digital and just run a long DVI cable at one end that converts to HDMi on the other end for the cable run. Check www.monoprice.com for the cable as it will be much better prices, but make sure it is rated for in the wall use.
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:06 PM   #5  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lazzzzy TVs' Van
Posts: 657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC5 View Post
Cat6 is the coax 75ohm cable right?
Cat 6 is twisted pair rated for 350 MHz. I.e. Ethernet. It's a tad better than ye old cat 5e. HDMI or DVI to Cat 6 are digital connections. Given a 35ft run, I'd just go with a HDMI cable, but this gent has the Cat6 run already and obviously doesn't want to either make new holes, or contract for work.
IGExpandingPan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:16 AM   #6  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Techlord's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 1,288
Default

Do what PFC5 mentioned, get a DVI to HDMI cable or get a HDMI male to male and use an adapter to connect to you 8800GTX's DVI port. I also have an 8800GTX in my gaming computer, very high overclock to!
Techlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:45 AM   #7  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lazzzzy TVs' Van
Posts: 657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techlord View Post
Do what PFC5 mentioned, get a DVI to HDMI cable or get a HDMI male to male and use an adapter to connect to you 8800GTX's DVI port. I also have an 8800GTX in my gaming computer, very high overclock to!
I personally agree. Going over a DVI to cat5/6 run is likely going to create problems with HDCP encryption. In fact, among the $200 units most defiantly.

The only reason to consider this IMHO for such a short run is if you have to contract to get the cable installed, and even then, even then odds are high the cost would be about equal.

The only exception would be if these suckers actually work
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
I've not used them.


HDMI cable 35 feet rated CL2 (in wall low voltage) $32
Pair of HDMI wall plates $15
DVI-D to HDMI $5.00
Pair of HDMI cables 6ft $8
$60ish + shipping plus installation.
IGExpandingPan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:27 AM   #8  
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,290
Default

Personally I would just get a HDMI to HDMI cable for the run and get a DVI adapter plug since at some point DVI will be hardly used for new devices and will have HDMI. Then you do not have to change the cable later.

PS. The OP stated the walls are bare and will be hanging drywall soon, so NOW is the time to add the HDMi cable, and I would say it is better to run a couple of them for future use now before the drywall is hung.
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:29 AM   #9  
What is HD?
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4
Default

Thanks all for the responses.

Well, I guess I could get the HDMI cable and get the snap in connections (keystones) and go that route.

I won't be wasting the 2 Cat6 since 1 is going to be for my USB extender and the other one I'm sure will find some use. I was going to just try the cat6 to dvi but I guess it makes sense what everyone is say.

Run a new 35ft HDMI cable, 2 HDMI snap ins (I already have the plates.. just not sure where to get these from) and 1 DVI to HDMI?
untruehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:43 PM   #10  
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,290
Default

www.monoprice.com will likely have everything you need at low prices.
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:07 PM   #11  
What is HD?
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC5 View Post
monoprice will likely have everything you need at low prices.
No keystones at mono, I even talked to a salesperson. I can get some of those at amazon. I'll get the other cables at monoprice. Thanks guys, I'll be back when I start TV shopping. Thanks

UH
untruehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:24 PM   #12  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lazzzzy TVs' Van
Posts: 657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by untruehero View Post
No keystones at mono, I even talked to a salesperson. I can get some of those at amazon. I'll get the other cables at monoprice. Thanks guys, I'll be back when I start TV shopping. Thanks

UH
http://www./avs-vb/showthread.php?t=967079
They have some links on this thread to Keystone HDMI.

In fact, now I look I regret doing what I'm going to be doing, which is using a Dremel on a decora style plate, and fiberglass resin, followed by white oil based paint.

But yes, monoprice has NO hdmi keystones. They do have Decora style HDMI plates, thus you can expand your work box to a double gang, and use two Decoras. In fact, I "should" have ordered them instead of couplers. That would have been smart.

The problem with the decora is the max limit on ports is 4 if you use a standard outlet plate, and looks a little odd. 3 is the limit with the standard rectangular hole. A standard keystone plate can fit up to 6.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...04&cp_id=10425
IGExpandingPan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to PC to LCD connection choices
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please Help JustGrant Flat-Panel TVs 8 02-22-2007 01:19 PM
Sony 50" LCD & Panny DLP predicament - HELP! ojman Rear-Projection TVs 10 03-02-2005 12:51 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:09 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands