High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Flat-Panel TVs Plasma, LCD

How to clean

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2008, 11:43 AM   #1  
What is HD?
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4
Default How to clean

Hi,

I recently purchased a Toshiba 40XF550U 40" REGZA® 1080p LCD HDTV with 120Hz refresh rate and the cleaning instructions say to only clean with a dry cloth. I made the mistake of putting the tv on an entertainment center instead of hanging it up on the wall like I surely should have and my 2 1/2 year old son sometimes touches it and leaves smears and fingerprints that don't always come off with a dry cloth.

I purchased some LCD TV cleaner and cloth from Best Buy, I think it was Monster brand and throwing caution to the wind have used it to clean the screen and it seems to do a nice job but I am wondering if I am jepordizing the life of my tv by using this but what else do you do to get the smudges off once they are on there and won't come off with a dry cloth.

Yes I am planning on putting it on the wall soon

Thanks in advance for any info.
Ben Dover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:53 AM   #2  
HDF SUPER-MODERATOR
 
ImRizzo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn..It's not a Place, it's an Attitude, & LI,NY
Posts: 23,649
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Dover View Post
Hi,

I recently purchased a Toshiba 40XF550U 40" REGZA® 1080p LCD HDTV with 120Hz refresh rate and the cleaning instructions say to only clean with a dry cloth. I made the mistake of putting the tv on an entertainment center instead of hanging it up on the wall like I surely should have and my 2 1/2 year old son sometimes touches it and leaves smears and fingerprints that don't always come off with a dry cloth.

I purchased some LCD TV cleaner and cloth from Best Buy, I think it was Monster brand and throwing caution to the wind have used it to clean the screen and it seems to do a nice job but I am wondering if I am jepordizing the life of my tv by using this but what else do you do to get the smudges off once they are on there and won't come off with a dry cloth.

Yes I am planning on putting it on the wall soon

Thanks in advance for any info.
I use the same product to clean my screen I don't clean it frequently and I use the provided cloth (microfiber) gently rubbing the screen. Some have suggested using and dampened cloth. I don't know how effective that would be in removing the traces of tiny hand prints ( that usually are coated with unknown sticky stuff substances) Either way your best solution is to wall mounting it ASAP before it becomes the innocent target of an airborn toy or something else that could damage a fragile screen.
ImRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:16 PM   #3  
What is HD?
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRizzo View Post
I use the same product to clean my screen I don't clean it frequently and I use the provided cloth (microfiber) gently rubbing the screen. Some have suggested using and dampened cloth. I don't know how effective that would be in removing the traces of tiny hand prints ( that usually are coated with unknown sticky stuff substances) Either way your best solution is to wall mounting it ASAP before it becomes the innocent target of an airborn toy or something else that could damage a fragile screen.
Thanks for the info, does your tv say to clean only with a dry cloth as well? Do they all say that as a disclaimer to save on complaints if someone soaks one too much and ruins it or are some of them just more delicate or something?
Ben Dover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:00 PM   #4  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
daleb's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 7,654
Default

Occasional light dusting with a soft (clean microfiber cloth) should be all that's necessary. Follow mfg recommendations for anything more. Save your money on products that may be ill-advised for your specific display.
daleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:14 PM   #5  
Aging Metalhead
 
stubobb's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleb View Post
Occasional light dusting with a soft (clean microfiber cloth) should be all that's necessary. Follow mfg recommendations for anything more. Save your money on products that may be ill-advised for your specific display.
No kids, huh?
The little tykes will find a way to get at the display even if they have to pile up furniture, LOL!
stubobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:31 PM   #6  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
erict's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mich
Posts: 919
Default

I use a microfiber cloth as well. If there is a spot that the cloth won’t remove dry I very, very lightly dampen it with room temperature distilled water and only when the TV has been off for a while, like first thing in the morning before I turn it on. This will avoid smearing marks from a hot screen.
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 02:56 PM   #7  
HDF SUPER-MODERATOR
 
ImRizzo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn..It's not a Place, it's an Attitude, & LI,NY
Posts: 23,649
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Dover View Post
Thanks for the info, does your tv say to clean only with a dry cloth as well? Do they all say that as a disclaimer to save on complaints if someone soaks one too much and ruins it or are some of them just more delicate or something?
VERBATIM: Page five owners operating guide under cleaning:

"Cleaning the screen surface / cabinet of the TV set
Unplig the AC power cord when cleaning this TV. If not, in may resultt in electric shock. Clean the cabinet of the TV with a dry cloth. To remove dust from the screen, wipe gently with a soft cloth. Stubborn stains maybe removed with a slightly dampened with a solution of MILD soap and warm water. NEVER use strong solvents such as thinner or benzine for cleaning. If using chemically pretreated cloth, please follow instructions provided on the packaging. Ventilation holes can accumulate dust over time. To ensure proper ventilatio, we recommend removing dust periodically ( once a month) with a vacumn cleaner."

I use Monster screen cleaner ( it's specailly formulated to clean computer LCD screens, it is specially formulated to be a somewhat thicker solution so as not to run down the vertical surface of the screen and flow below the bezels so as not to cause any possible shorting), I also use it sparingly and approx once every 2 months of course this would be in accordance with your specific situation.
I also clean the cabinet's nooks and crannies with a very soft 1-1/2" camel hair paint brush to remove dust befor I vacumn the cabinet. The biggest enemy of any electronic product is heat and dust, dust is attracted by the static electronic feild surrounding these components. Cool and Clean is the best preventive medicine.
.....Da Rizz....
ImRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 03:31 PM   #8  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
daleb's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 7,654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubobb View Post
No kids, huh?
The little tykes will find a way to get at the display even if they have to pile up furniture, LOL!
Don't make assumptions, there were no flat screens when I had kids.

I did not say there is no way other way to clean it. But the way you clean it may not be universal to all display brands.
I've read where some owners with Pioneers had some problems with Monster Clean, for example. A flat panel display is an expensive purchase to chance any 3rd party cleaner IMO, unless recommended by the manufacturer, my only point.

Last edited by daleb; 11-29-2008 at 03:35 PM..
daleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to How to clean
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to clean LCD Trudint The High Definition Lounge 7 03-10-2009 04:19 PM
How to clean My Plasma Achillesthegr8 Flat-Panel TVs 26 02-09-2007 03:27 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:50 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands