High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Flat-Panel TVs Plasma, LCD

Like Tree2Likes

Example of what a calibration disc can do

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2010, 08:46 PM   #136  
How can anyone watch standard def?
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 18
Default

How much do these discs cost exactly?
FauxElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:49 PM   #137  
HDF SUPER-MODERATOR
 
ImRizzo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn..It's not a Place, it's an Attitude, & LI,NY
Posts: 23,606
Default

Amazon $25.00
this is the better of all the disc
http://www.amazon.com/Spears-Munsil-...1949336&sr=1-1
ImRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:34 PM   #138  
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,290
Default

Only if he has a BD player though.
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:53 PM   #139  
HDF SUPER-MODERATOR
 
ImRizzo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn..It's not a Place, it's an Attitude, & LI,NY
Posts: 23,606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC5 View Post
Only if he has a BD player though.
Correct, my fault, it was a natural assumption
ImRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:10 PM   #140  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
neoshredder27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 602
Default

Your eyes are the best calibration disc. Keep tweaking until you get the settings you are happy with.
neoshredder27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:33 PM   #141  
HDF SUPER-MODERATOR
 
ImRizzo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn..It's not a Place, it's an Attitude, & LI,NY
Posts: 23,606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshredder27 View Post
Your eyes are the best calibration disc. Keep tweaking until you get the settings you are happy with.
If you don't have a basic understanding of what your adjusting you could spend a helluva lotta time going nowhere for a 25$ investment you've got a basic guide to help you once you've set it up according to the disc then you can tweak it to your own satisfaction. But at least by then you will have gained a little knowledge of what each setting will do making it easier to tweak to your own liking.
ImRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:38 PM   #142  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
neoshredder27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRizzo View Post
If you don't have a basic understanding of what your adjusting you could spend a helluva lotta time going nowhere for a 25$ investment you've got a basic guide to help you once you've set it up according to the disc then you can tweak it to your own satisfaction. But at least by then you will have gained a little knowledge of what each setting will do making it easier to tweak to your own liking.
I guess I'm just assuming everyone knows about contrast, brightness, sharpness, and all those settings to start with and what they do. I don't feel confident with adjusting the settings in SM. I guess that is where it would be useful. But I'm already happy with the settings I got now. Can't imagine it getting any better.
neoshredder27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:05 PM   #143  
HDF SUPER-MODERATOR
 
ImRizzo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn..It's not a Place, it's an Attitude, & LI,NY
Posts: 23,606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshredder27 View Post
I guess I'm just assuming everyone knows about contrast, brightness, sharpness, and all those settings to start with and what they do. I don't feel confident with adjusting the settings in SM. I guess that is where it would be useful. But I'm already happy with the settings I got now. Can't imagine it getting any better.
To a novice Sharpness, you would assume the more you increase it the sharper the image will become False. and so it goes with a lot of the picture controls. And with the newer sets the manufacturers have includes access to a lot of picture adjustments like white balance / Gamma / edge enhancer / black cortrector .... there's a lotta stuff to screw up.
ImRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:14 AM   #144  
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRizzo View Post
If you don't have a basic understanding of what your adjusting you could spend a helluva lotta time going nowhere for a 25$ investment you've got a basic guide to help you once you've set it up according to the disc then you can tweak it to your own satisfaction. But at least by then you will have gained a little knowledge of what each setting will do making it easier to tweak to your own liking.
I agree Rizz. Most people wouldn't know an accurate picture when they get their first HDTV even if it slapped them across the face. The first step is to get the most accurate picture with the calibration disc, and then if you are the type that wants more "pop" depsite it not being as accurate then they can do some tweaking fro there. But as they get use to a HDTV and over time they may want to go back to an accurate picture and they still have the disc to do it then.

It can also be used to do the same with all TVs owned including friends and they learn some things that are not very intuitive going by the name. One that is very much misunderstood is the "Brightness" setting. This is actually to set black levels not to make the display brighter. Contrast is what adjusts the white level and makes it brighter.

I bet many/most newcomers to HDTVs do not know this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshredder27 View Post
I guess I'm just assuming everyone knows about contrast, brightness, sharpness, and all those settings to start with and what they do. I don't feel confident with adjusting the settings in SM. I guess that is where it would be useful. But I'm already happy with the settings I got now. Can't imagine it getting any better.
See above.
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:14 AM   #145  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
neoshredder27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC5 View Post
I agree Rizz. Most people wouldn't know an accurate picture when they get their first HDTV even if it slapped them across the face. The first step is to get the most accurate picture with the calibration disc, and then if you are the type that wants more "pop" depsite it not being as accurate then they can do some tweaking fro there. But as they get use to a HDTV and over time they may want to go back to an accurate picture and they still have the disc to do it then.

It can also be used to do the same with all TVs owned including friends and they learn some things that are not very intuitive going by the name. One that is very much misunderstood is the "Brightness" setting. This is actually to set black levels not to make the display brighter. Contrast is what adjusts the white level and makes it brighter.

I bet many/most newcomers to HDTVs do not know this.



See above.
It seems that higher brightness made the blacks more gray and the picture didn't look as good. Kind of stuff like that you see but don't know the theory behind the settings. In my case, I found the most accurate picture rather dull. It was a simple tweak to make it more poppy. Turn up color and adjust Color Temperature to Warm 1 or Normal. Normal may be too poppy actually. Warm 1 seems to be the best balance between accurate and poppy.
neoshredder27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:16 AM   #146  
ISF Calibrator
 
dsskid's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 5,047
Default

Tweaking settings by eye is not calibration, it is adjusting to taste. Your taste will likely be different from the next person.

Calibration is precisely adjusting to an industry standard. Big difference.
dsskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:42 AM   #147  
HDF SUPER-MODERATOR
 
ImRizzo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn..It's not a Place, it's an Attitude, & LI,NY
Posts: 23,606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC5 View Post
I agree Rizz. Most people wouldn't know an accurate picture when they get their first HDTV even if it slapped them across the face. The first step is to get the most accurate picture with the calibration disc, and then if you are the type that wants more "pop" depsite it not being as accurate then they can do some tweaking fro there. But as they get use to a HDTV and over time they may want to go back to an accurate picture and they still have the disc to do it then.

It can also be used to do the same with all TVs owned including friends and they learn some things that are not very intuitive going by the name. One that is very much misunderstood is the "Brightness" setting. This is actually to set black levels not to make the display brighter. Contrast is what adjusts the white level and makes it brighter.

I bet many/most newcomers to HDTVs do not know this.



See above.
Agreed, most people after seeing an accurately calibrated display, are somewhat disappointed because the picture appears "Dull". But they are basing their impressions on panels seen in B&M locations where they are displayed in the VIVID mode (Torch-TV) where they POP of the wall and this is what they assume a well tuned and adjusted panel should look like. I try explaining to some of those people "Look out your window is that what it looks like outside ..... overly bright green grass, or reds that look like they are lit up facial tones, etc" and even after explaining "realistic appearances" they still don't fully grasp what is the results of a truly accurately calibrated should be and some ask the calibrators to "Juice up the picture a little bit" Unfortunately it's an expectation created by the manufacturers to sell their products. People are more attracted to a Bright, colorful popping image, than they are to the reality of life in it's natural state.
ImRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:49 PM   #148  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
neoshredder27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRizzo View Post
Agreed, most people after seeing an accurately calibrated display, are somewhat disappointed because the picture appears "Dull". But they are basing their impressions on panels seen in B&M locations where they are displayed in the VIVID mode (Torch-TV) where they POP of the wall and this is what they assume a well tuned and adjusted panel should look like. I try explaining to some of those people "Look out your window is that what it looks like outside ..... overly bright green grass, or reds that look like they are lit up facial tones, etc" and even after explaining "realistic appearances" they still don't fully grasp what is the results of a truly accurately calibrated should be and some ask the calibrators to "Juice up the picture a little bit" Unfortunately it's an expectation created by the manufacturers to sell their products. People are more attracted to a Bright, colorful popping image, than they are to the reality of life in it's natural state.
And there's nothing wrong with that. The important thing is finding the right balance where you can enjoy your set.
neoshredder27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:34 PM   #149  
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRizzo View Post
Agreed, most people after seeing an accurately calibrated display, are somewhat disappointed because the picture appears "Dull". But they are basing their impressions on panels seen in B&M locations where they are displayed in the VIVID mode (Torch-TV) where they POP of the wall and this is what they assume a well tuned and adjusted panel should look like. I try explaining to some of those people "Look out your window is that what it looks like outside ..... overly bright green grass, or reds that look like they are lit up facial tones, etc" and even after explaining "realistic appearances" they still don't fully grasp what is the results of a truly accurately calibrated should be and some ask the calibrators to "Juice up the picture a little bit" Unfortunately it's an expectation created by the manufacturers to sell their products. People are more attracted to a Bright, colorful popping image, than they are to the reality of life in it's natural state.
I say the same thing here and with people I know. The "pop" many are looking for is not what real life images are, and when they turn the pop factor up it looks like a cartoon to me with neon grass, etc. If that is what they like that is fine, and even I use to look for more pop myself when I first got my HDTV. I started to want to see it as intended and what is in real life and gradually re-trained my eyes to this by gradually bringing it closer to an accurate picture and now I just see crazy color artifacts on those displays set to inaccurate pop when I look at them. Ditto for the temp setting. When set to the warmest setting it enhances the "natural" colors and makes them more realistic and accurate across the whole color spectrum rather than just a couple of colors a user likes to look like that.
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:41 PM   #150  
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshredder27 View Post
And there's nothing wrong with that. The important thing is finding the right balance where you can enjoy your set.
Nothing wrong with that except personal taste. Just don't expect others who know what looks realistic and what looks cartoonish to think your display looks fantastic though either. Watch it how YOU like it.

But I bet you gradually change over to appreciate a accurate picture over time and you end up with at least a WARM1 temp setting and possibly the even more accurate WARM2 setting within a few months. At least that was my process when I first got my first HDTV.
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to Example of what a calibration disc can do
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
calibration disc needed? titan7 HDTV Calibration 10 02-02-2010 10:06 PM
Why Do I Need To Set "Sharpness" With The BD Calibration Disc? Peter Marlowe Rear-Projection TVs 24 01-31-2009 06:43 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:11 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands