High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Flat-Panel TVs Plasma, LCD

Transporting a 55" Plasma... Help!

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2008, 07:31 AM   #1  
What is HD?
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2
Default Transporting a 55" Plasma... Help!

Hi everyone! I'm new here, but I have a problem that I've seen in various other threads on the board here, but with a different twist...

I'm moving (about 35 miles) in 3 weeks, and have to figure out how to move our 55" Hitachi plasma. I've never moved the TV before, because when we moved last year my company paid for the move, and hired a special mover to crate the TV and move it.

This time, I'm not so fortunate, and don't have $400 at my disposal to pay someone to crate the tv and move it.

The problem is that the TV is 33 inches tall, and my Ford Edge has only 30" of height clearance in the car. It will fit with no problem length wise, but I can't stand it up at a vertical, which is how I've see that you all recommend transporting the TV.

My question is, (and I've drawn a pic to explain), do you think that wrapping it like crazy, padding it in the trunk and transporting it at an angle in the Ford Edge is going to be bad for it, or should I wrap it up like crazy and put it in the back of our U-Haul?

I'd rather keep it in my car because of the better suspension and less risk of something hitting it, but I also don't have the vertical clearance. What do you all think?

(Refer to the image I attached... I have drawn an idea of what I'm thinking based on measurements I made of how the TV will fit in the car)

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg edge_tv.jpg (126.0 KB, 18 views)
iamkevski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:43 AM   #2  
Former Super Moderator
 
Loves2Watch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: In Flux
Posts: 20,283
Default

From my limited experience transporting plasma TV's and from what I have read, it is best to transport the unit either standing up or laying flat, with the glass portion being protected. Moving the TV with it being on an angle could cause stress on circuit boards due to flexing and hence cause breakage. I would suggest wrapping it with bubble wrap and laying it flat, glass side up on top of the other items in your moving van, making sure to stabilize it so it doesn't shift or slide around.
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:55 AM   #3  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 324
Default

The angle really does not matter THAT much because these TVs are designed to be tilt-mounted. However, I agree with loves2watch, the glass MUST be up.
YoniX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:04 AM   #4  
Former Super Moderator
 
Loves2Watch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: In Flux
Posts: 20,283
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoniX View Post
The angle really does not matter THAT much because these TVs are designed to be tilt-mounted. However, I agree with loves2watch, the glass MUST be up.
The TV's may be designed to be tilt mounted but in a car with bouncing (up and down movement/pressure) I can just see the innards bending, stretching and breaking.
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:33 PM   #5  
Ah, HDTV
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: West of the Rockies, from Montana to Mexico
Posts: 204
Default

I have a 42" plasma mounted vertically in my motorhome. Lots of bouncing, no problems. I think that for 35 miles, you can lay it flat...
Remember that your tv was moved by truck, took an ocean voyage, maybe a train ride, and another truck, before you got it. Its a bit tougher than some here would tell you.
markfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:31 PM   #6  
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,290
Default

I would rent a uHaul or use a Home Depot rental which is much cheaper for that short a distance. Around me you can rent a HD van with strpa to attach it to the side inside for $20.00 for the first 75 minutes and $5.00 for each additional 15 minutes. You have to replace the gas also, but this is pretty cheap and i just used it for my new HT furniture.

I would NOT risk laying it on an angle and I wouldn't even risk laying it flat either. Better safe than sorry IMO.

My
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:15 PM   #7  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
BeeF's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 1,245
Default

Also if you still have the box that it came in put it back in it, those protect the tvs pretty well.
BeeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:29 PM   #8  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
daleb's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 7,654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC5 View Post
I would rent a uHaul or use a Home Depot rental which is much cheaper for that short a distance. Around me you can rent a HD van with strpa to attach it to the side inside for $20.00 for the first 75 minutes and $5.00 for each additional 15 minutes. You have to replace the gas also, but this is pretty cheap and i just used it for my new HT furniture.

I would NOT risk laying it on an angle and I wouldn't even risk laying it flat either. Better safe than sorry IMO.

My
Not bad suggestions. I would be careful with UHauls. Given the choice of leaning a display (out of the carton) back against soft pillows, etc. in a mini-van and standing vertical in the box in a UHaul with Barney Rubble suspension, I think I would do the former, and did with my Sony for 150 miles. LCD RP though, not a plasma.

Your suggestion of a tall van and strapped inside while in the original packaging is likely the safest and probably how stores deliver.
daleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:27 PM   #9  
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleb View Post
Not bad suggestions. I would be careful with UHauls. Given the choice of leaning a display (out of the carton) back against soft pillows, etc. in a mini-van and standing vertical in the box in a UHaul with Barney Rubble suspension, I think I would do the former, and did with my Sony for 150 miles. LCD RP though, not a plasma.

Your suggestion of a tall van and strapped inside while in the original packaging is likely the safest and probably how stores deliver.
That is why I also suggested renting a van from Home Depot. I think it was a Ford E350 I rented from them and it had hooks on the side to bind the display against the wall like they do when they deliver them from stores to homes.

I hear what you are saying about those uHaul trucks though. Last time I rented one many years ago, it was like there was no suspension at all in it.
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:39 AM   #10  
NHL in HD please!!!
 
gwhoughton's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: North Hollywood/Valley Village, CA
Posts: 1,738
Cool Just use your car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkevski View Post
The problem is that the TV is 33 inches tall, and my Ford Edge has only 30" of height clearance in the car. It will fit with no problem length wise, but I can't stand it up at a vertical, which is how I've see that you all recommend transporting the TV.

My question is, (and I've drawn a pic to explain), do you think that wrapping it like crazy, padding it in the trunk and transporting it at an angle in the Ford Edge is going to be bad for it, or should I wrap it up like crazy and put it in the back of our U-Haul?

I'd rather keep it in my car because of the better suspension and less risk of something hitting it, but I also don't have the vertical clearance. What do you all think?
Will it lay FLAT in the back of your Edge?? If so, just use a thick comfortor to pad the floor of the car, gently lay the flat screen (with glass side up) on the comforter, and drive like your Grandma for the 35 miles to your new place. Done deal. Don't even take anything else on that specific trip... Just the set. Then you don't have to worry about anything falling on it, etc...

If it WON'T lay flat, I think your plan to put it in @ an angle will be fine, as long as whatever you place UNDER it to support it is stable and firm enough so that the set will not FLEX or BEND...

I'm assuming that you can close the hatch since your post states that it will fit lenghtwise no problem...

Since you are only traveling 35 miles, just drive like a blue-hair & watch the bumps &/or potholes, etc...

Let us know how the move goes!!! Good luck man!!!
gwhoughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to Transporting a 55" Plasma... Help!
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hitachi 55" Plasma Any Opinions HortHall Flat-Panel TVs 4 08-25-2008 07:53 AM
For Sale: Nokia N95 8Gb,Apple Iphone 16Gb,Nokia 8600 Luna vinestore For Sale / Wanted / Trades Forum 0 03-13-2008 05:54 PM
Trying to make an informed decision... Chiz Flat-Panel TVs 16 02-27-2008 04:47 PM
55" Hitachi Plasma installed, report, and gripe....... hidefman30 Flat-Panel TVs 11 03-04-2006 09:56 AM
Choosing a 37 inch display miketv Flat-Panel TVs 40 08-23-2005 04:19 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:41 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands